New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Great Koronus Mutiny (IC)

Crone

Crone looks to the others and salutes Father Answin and the Tau. "My thanks. It does sound from the Lady's reports that we have been fortunate to survive." Reading the report he grimaces, "Near 20000 dead and missing, a heavy loss. Most of the Nadueshi eh... Best not restock there." As he skims the salavage he whistles, "They stripped her right back, nothing worth stripping her back."

He glances at the Sub commander, "Have a tug accelerate her towards the gas giant, leave nothing for these Sons of Kronus." Then turning back to the others he looks to Rendra, "All things point towards the Heathen Stars. We are ready to make way, I can have enginseers spin up the warp drive if our beaky friend will plot a course in the warp. We can restock at the colony and gather some intel on the area."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Rendara
    She has changed into the Holo Suit. either she looked fabulous or ridiculous in this clown suit, she couldn't tell. Rendara was fully able to see it of course, but her real pleasure was inflicting this sight upon others so that they wish they blind instead. complete with this alien blade, she looked a bit like a swashbuckler. She considers the reports
    "Indeed, Xantha. This is very coordinated. At least one won't fall into enemy hands, but two others are a concern. These can't be random attacks, they had to have prior information about all this. Do you think someone leaked these ships routes? Intentionally set up these ambushes? But who could possibly have knowledge of the destinations of ships from three different dynasties and a freighter?"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kais thought to correct the scrivener on how his words were meant as a means of trade to better the dynasty rather than focusing upon his people but decided against it. He had decently thick skin but the man had never been one he enjoyed conversing with and thankfully he hadn't had much contact with him before this point. "I have no doubt that all of these attacks were coordinated somehow but I fear we lack enough information to make anything more than wild speculations. All we can hope to do for now is recover and keep on alert. Once news of our survival gets around we can likely expect another attempt upon this vessel. Maybe then we will be able to uncover more details."

They shouldn't stick around here though. They had survived but the ship was wounded and the crew reduced from full capacity. If anyone came checking in upon these pirates...well, their luck would be hard-pressed to hold a second encounter in their current state. For his part Kais had chosen his rewards from the vaults as well; a special power sword with a super heated blade and a refractor field that he had fitted to his combat armor with relative ease. He preferred ranged engagements but wanted to be prepared, wanted a deterrent should melee become unavoidable. Rendara seemed of a similar mind in her choices, though her outfit did seem a bit...gaudy as far as he was concerned.
    Last edited by SchwhatNow; 2021-02-27 at 08:39 PM.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

Die Wölfe der Abfälle.----- Mercenary company in "Total War: Condottieri II"

4. - Top - End - #154

Seneschal Xantha Ward

At Rendara's line of inquiry, Xantha sighed and considered her options.

"Might that we were back in port, I could cast a wider net. And a wide net they'll need, those who concocted this."

Taking a moment to make a few requests from the ship's stores as directed, she put the datapad down and continued.

"That's where this was hatched, I think. Maybe Port Wander, maybe Footfall. To put your people in so many different places..."

Spoiler
    Show

Grabbing
    + Long-Las w/ Red-Dot Sight, Overcharge Pack, Whisper-Bolt Discharger
    + Good Quality MIU

for my items.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

"It is the Midnight's Lair, I'm sure of it." the black-robed priest suddenly spoke, after having fallen into silent contemplation. "The late Commander Harte spoke of it, did he not?" Father Answin's eyes fixated on Commander Crone. "The Heretic said it would open Lady Rendara's eyes. One way or the other. " His stare moved towards the Astropath.
    "Harte was in league with the Ruinous Powers, as were the pirates. This is not a mundane coordination between outlaws. It is the works of Daemons. Their corruption spreads unseen, and spreads quickly, if left unchallenged. We were not vigilant, as is Our God-Emperor's commandment. The Chorda Dynasty was not vigilant. The Pigot Dynasty was not vigilant. Corruption has spread to all of them, and led to their downfall. I believe Midnight's Lair is at the heart of it.
    We should see what we can find out about Harte's outside communication. Also..."
    Father Answin's face darkened even more, if that was even possible.

"How sure are you of the loyalty of your choir, Lady Rendara?"
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-02-27 at 06:05 AM.
    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Member of the Kyrsull Entente
    Free City of Khasal - Ironfang Republic - Theocracy of Shemesh -The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Glory to the Flame!

Awesome Templar Avatar by smutmulch - thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Rendara:
    She frowns
    "Less certain than I was a few moments ago. Since I was the one the pirates were trying to take hostage, I seemed to be their target. Thing is, there is one astropath for every three guards, so that leaves us ten astropaths to investigate. I don't like the thought that my fellow astropaths would betray the Emperor, but I can't dismiss it out of hand."
    After all, unless the traitor sent coded messages through one of the astropaths, only they could've sent any messages to coordinate this. She turns to face Answin.
    "I can probe their minds to see if they are loyal, but it wouldn't be a..... pleasant process. Especially against other psykers, as they will have greater ability to resist me. A lot of it is mental brute force. If we could narrow it as much as we can, that would be less probing I'd have to do, as it will tire me out if I fail. That and I'd prefer not to potentially mentally break the entire Choir. They are needed for functioning astropathic communication after all."
    She just hoped that it wasn't too many traitors.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

Father Answin nodded, solemnly, after Rendara had finished her statement.
    "We shall interrogate them first then, and see if they have been seen with Harte or any of the other mutineers." he agreed.

"It seems we are in agreement, then." The Priest's eyes wandered over the faces of those gathered. "Our first stop is the colony in the Heathen Stars. Still, I am not certain we will find the support we seek there. Remember, all communication to the colony has been lost."
    His prayers went out to the Golden Throne that this didn't mean the colony had already been targeted and corrupted by the Ruinous Powers.
    "For now, I shall return to my flock. There is a funeral procession to organise, and even though the God-Emperor has granted us victory, there are spiritual wounds to mend."
    as

Show

Free City of Khasal - Ironfang Republic - Theocracy of Shemesh -The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Glory to the Flame!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Crone

Crone looked around the others grinning at Rendara in her multi-hed garb. "The runinous powers eh? Best flush all the tritors out the nearest air lock then, get that trash off the ship so they can't contaminate anything further", glancing at the Father he asks, "Is it worth spreading some of your initiates out amongst the crew a bit to re-instill faith in the Throne?"

As the others seem happy with the plan he nods. "I'll head up to the bridge and head to the warp transit boundary at the edge of the system. Aye, we may be carrying some wounded but the damage is minor and no critical systems are hit." Nodding to the others he bounds up the corridor, floating up the stairs using the strange xeno-tech personal floatation device and bounds onto the bridge. "The council has decided to continue the current quest. We will make best sped for the colony in the Heathen Stars."

SItting in the pilots console he plots a coures to the edge oft he system where a safe warp transit can be made. "Full speed head my lads." he speaks into the vox to the Engineeruiam, "Make best speed to the warp transit point. Spin up the geller field, I want her triple checked and tighter than a Soriatias's Abbesses' chastity belt before we translate to the warp." As the reactors fire and the ship accelerates away from the gas giant on a plume of plasma fire he messages Selrya. "Ah, my beaky friend. We are heading to the edge of the system, are you able to unleash that 3rd eye of your and plot us a warp course?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

"I will see to it." was the priest's calm response to Commander Crone.
    When he had left, he turned to Rendara, once more.
    "I will join you for the interrogation later, Lady Rendara. Maybe until then, you can gain some more information without confronting your choir directly."
    Just like the Commander, Father Answin rose from his seat.
    "Let us return to our duties, then, to the Emperor's Glory."

__________________________________________________ ____

In Captain von Drakken's vault, a ponderous Father Answin walked through the corridors. There were a plethora of artifacts of great value, some even of great holiness, but once he had spotted it, his choice had been made.

The most honourable Lady Audrey had taken his from him when she had brought him down. Torn it from his broken body, calling him unworthy in her haughtiness and ignorance. Ever since then, he had found himself lacking something. But here it was - a blessed Rosarius. The rightful symbol of his status as Confessor, Missionary, and High Priest of the Media Res. With a reverent, but steady hand, he took it.
    His second choice was an Incinerator. A most holy weapon, usually reserved for only the most pure of Astartes, the Grey Knights, and the agents of the Ordo Malleus. This time, Father Answin had to keep his hands from trembling, as he laid them to this precious relic.

It had to be a blessing from the God-Emperor that he would gain access to a glorious weapon like this, but also, as he thought with furrowed brows, a dark sign of the things to come.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

A funeral procession marched through the grand promenade, through the long dark halls, through high gothic arches, down to the cathedral, along the giant statues of Imperial Saints. Flanked by Father Answin's red-robed zealots carrying lit torches, multiple groups of Female and Male Choirs walked while singing the Emperor's praises.
    A grand host of Servo-skulls floated around the procession, each one carrying long parchments of holy writs. In the center of it all an ostentatiously emblazoned coffin carried by six bare-backed men, where the great Captain Tarquin von Drakkan rested, at least the parts of him that could be recovered.
    Behind the coffin, Father Answin solemnly walked, clad in black robes and wearing a black mitre, his hands folded in his ornate sleeves.
    Around his waist hung, on a golden chain, an amulet in the form of a Red Cross made of adamantium, bearing the sign of the Ecclesiarchy on a winged skull of gold. The amulet seemed to emanate Holiness and authority, and somehow seemed to reinforce the Priest's presence.

Many of the Media Res' crew had gathered, at least those that were not indispensible at their station right now, as this was a special occasion. They had brought their families, their children. They all stood in silence, alongside the route of the procession, and some even had secured a place inside the Cathedral, to bid their Captain Farewell.

As they arrived in the Cathedral, the coffin was placed in front of the Altar, where the Image of the Golden Throne loomed over all.

The servoskulls gathered near the Altar, floating high and low, facing the congregation. The choirs, which had taken their places to the sides of the hall, continued to sing, loudly, clearly, full of worship, until Father Answin opened his arms, when they abruptly stopped.

He began to speak. He spoke of the great, glorious deeds their Captain had achieved during his long career, of Great Sacrifice and Great Victories. He spoke of the Legacy of Captain von Drakkan, and the Legacy of the Medias Res, which they all would carry forth in the late Captain's name, and to the Glory of the God-Emperor. He spoke of the vile treachery that had befallen the ship, and of the Holy War that had brought the Medias Res back from the brink of defeat. He spoke of the Fallen, and of never faltering Faith. He spoke of the Trials ahead, and of Strength of Will and Body, the Willingness to Sacrifice that would see them through, with the Emperor's Blessing.
    Finally, he bid Captain von Drakkan Farewell, and commended him to the Grace of the Golden Throne.
    Litanies of Praise were sung, Flames were lit, and Holy Scriptures were read, and in the end, the Zealots carried the dead Rogue Trader down into his tomb.

__________________________________________________ ____________

During their travel through the Warp, Father Answin would visit all parts of the ship with a small group of acolytes, speak to the people, preach to them, blessing them, all to raise their morale. They would need it, if his darkest worries would turn out to be true.
    Spoiler: Roll:
    Show

Inspiring the masses, restoring morale:(1d100)[42] vs 102: 62 + 20 charm + 10 Rosarius + 10 Peer (Workers, Academics, Military, Ecclesiarchy, Nobility, Xenos) (
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-03-07 at 09:28 AM.
    as

Show

Glory to the Flame!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The tech priests are able to crack the passwords on Harte's dataslates fairly quickly, and after that, it's just a matter of going through his papers and dataslates. While his personal possessions will be sold to the ship's officers, his well-appointed suite of three rooms on the castle will be turned over to Commander Crone, the new void-master of the ship. After a day or two of going through the papers, some items stand out.

First, of course, is everything related to the Nadueshi. There is a note tucked away in the back of a desk, "Brother Harte, when you call at Naduesh, make sure to speak to Brother Ziav Crow-Tooth; he will make sure that you have a loyal crew." Also in his files are a litany of complaints from various crew-chiefs and foremen; Harte seems to have been granting the Nadueshi access and privileges far beyond their accustomed station.

Second, the void-master rarely has any cause to send astropathic messages himself, but in the past few months there have been a flurry of messages he's had sent and receieved through the astropathic choir. He's been in communications with someone on Footfall named Candace Nawati of the Phoenix Consortium. On the face of it the messages are all talking about her wedding, the last message from her is, "the big wedding will be [date of the mutiny]! Hope to see you there!" , with Harte's response, "I'll drink a toast for you while looking at the star KTHR-278. When I see you next, I will bring a great present!" Oddly enough, Harte waited until Apprentice Astropath Megara was on duty before sending the response. Astropath Megara is the youngest and newest member of the choir; a young girl of maybe seventeen years. When asked about it, she nervously says, "I thought it was against protocol to send it, but he said I shouldn't worry about it? He's the captain, I mean, so I did it! Obviously I should have worried about it, because, you know, he turned out to be a horrible traitor, but it seemed such a little thing at the time!"

Per the orders of Commander Crone, the bodies of the pirates and mutineers are jettisoned into the void, where in a few weeks or months they will be swallowed up by the gas giant's crushing depths, never again to pollute the Emperor's realm. The fallen loyalists, of course, are brought to the tanks, where they will carry out their final duty. While not as grand as the late von Drakkan's service, Father Answin's presence around the ship over the next few days serves to focus the crew's wrath agains the unseen enemy and buoy spirits.

The ship's unique navigator retreats to her nest, and after a few hours gives a destination for the ship to translate to the warp, far from the gravity wells of the star and major planets. The ship's orchestra (which suffered blessedly light casualties; two flautists were killed in battle on the ship's castle, and a cellist and violinist were injured severely and are will take some weeks to recover) strikes up a bold symphony to raise spirits and cover the translation to warp. With a mental shudder that resonates through the ship, it is done.

Spoiler
    Show
    Father Answin gets 5 DoS, recovering 10 morale. Anyone can make common lore Koronus expanse or commerce tests to see if they can get more information from Harte's papers. Also Navigation (stellar) might help narrow down potential pirate lairs. Or if you have any ideas for how to do more research, let me know.

11. - Top - End - #161

Seneschal Xantha Ward

The dynasty tech-priest produced a terrifying array of medical mechadendrites to install her Mind Impulse Unit, and Xantha was glad she couldn't see behind her head as the implant was installed into her brain stem. While she sat in recovery, she considered the situation at large, even asking for texts and data-slates to be brought to her bed. Old snatches of memory regarding pirate hangouts and new data regarding Harte's activities swam together in a post-surgical haze.

-----

Xantha surveyed her new office, still unused to being granted any amount of space larger that you could have parked an autocarriage in. The previous Master of Whispers apparently didn't lack for luxury, not that the ease of his life had allowed him the freedom to do his job properly, it seemed.

"Not me. If it comes down to buying better spies or better amasec, I'm content with the coolant moonshine."

Sweeping away a dazzling array of crystal glassware into a spare arms coffer, she had data-looms and paper filing cabinets installed over the linens and tapestries. The harpsichord was sent back down to the orchesta, and the walk-in wardrobe was completely emptied to make space for books and gear.

"Can't be a Mistress of Whispers without whisperers. I wonder how much of this Dynasty scrip I can distribute before someone complains?"

She was just about to get on the inter-department communication lines when the orchestra began, and she braced for the translation before continuing.

Spoiler
    Show

Willpower, TN 40 (1d100)[20]
    CL:Koronus Expanse, TN 52 (1d100)[14]
    Commerce: TN 72 (1d100)[32]

And maybe?
    CL:Underworld, TN 52 (1d100)[75]

12. - Top - End - #162

For the most part Kais was simply inclined to return to his typical duties. He was concerned about the future just as the other members of the council but his focus was easily narrowed to the here and now, keeping to the tasks necessary for daily operation of the mighty vessel and leaving the worry of future attacks towards the far reaches of his mind. So he fell back in to working upon the engines and ensuring that all the basic mechanical functions of the ship were brought back to full capacity or as close to that as possible. Many of the crew knew about his fighting against the pirates and of course his part of the council that now decided the fate of the dynasty but Kais was not about to allow that to change his attitude or outlook. He'd work with his hands as he had always done, though he was appreciative that many of the crew were now less aloof and suspicious regarding him with all that had happened. It was good to feel more welcome even if that was not necessary for his mission.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Crone

Crone now happily ensconced in his new quarters prowled onto the bridge as they approached the warp transit corridor. He looked about, grinning as he bounced off slightly up and down, the strange xenotech belt around his waist giving him a lighter step and the ability to almost fly. He still marveled at the sophisticated antigravity technology and wondered how Von Drakken had come to possess it.

Arriving on the bridge he voxed Xantha and the Father, "My friends, have you found anymore clues to what may await us at the colony, We are about to enter the warp?" Waiting for the answer he flicked up the hololiths to plan a route when they arrived at the destination and the locations mentioned in Harte's notes.

Spoiler: Stellar Navigation
    Show

(1d100)[53] TN 48

As they ready for the translation reality shudders as the warp engines rip a tear into a reality, he inadvertently holds his breath, a shudder of nerves as they entered the warp.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

"Padding's scribes have yet to discover anything of note, Commander. I have sent a message to Confessor Wulffried, a scholar and old friend. If anyone can tell us more, it is him." Father Answin replied. "It will, however, take some time until I receive a reply. Our new Mistress of Whispers might have been more successful."

__________________________________________________ __________

Shortly before the jump to the warp, Father Answin, Brother Bartholomew, Zealot Ermengarde, the zealots and other faithful that did not currently have duties to attend to gathered in the Cathedral in prayer, accompanied by the ever-present hallowed melody of the orchestra.
    They all knelt, in absolute stillness, in prayer and contemplation.

"As we dare this our travel in Your Name, O Emperor, we beseech thee thus:
    From the depredation of the Warp, God-Emperor, deliver us.
    From the temptation of the Obscure, God-Emperor, deliver us.
    From the perturbation of the Distortion, God-Emperor, deliver us.
    From the desperation of the Void, God-Emperor, deliver us.

In Devotion, we kneel before Your Golden Throne. We beseech thee, grant us Strength of Mind and Body, so we may fulfil Your Will, whereever our path may lead."
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-03-04 at 02:41 PM.
    as

Show

Glory to the Flame!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Xantha spends some time going through the ship's records regarding the Phoenix Consortium. It is one of the larger merchant concerns operating out of Footfall buying raw materials coming out of the expanse and feeding them to manufacturers across the empire. Unfortunately, Xantha can't make heads or tails of the late High Factotum's books regarding the dynasty's business with them; presumably because he's been skimming off them somehow and they have more in common with a work of fiction than an accurate set of accounting. Xantha doesn't think she's heard of them dealing with the underworld, but they have their tendrils everywhere, so she can't rule it out.

Commander Crone spends a few hours going over star charts. Given the location of the other distress calls, given the short range of the overladen pirate ships... he tries to pinpoint potential locations of the pirate home base. Unfortunately the star charts are more 'suggestions' rather than hard data, and the locations of the distress calls aren't precisely known. He draws a large sphere containing maybe a score of systems, fairly convinced that there must be a pirate lair somewhere in there. Of course, pirate lairs infest the expanse, so that's not a bad guess for any given sector... but still.

As soon as the ship enters the warp, everyone breathes a cautious sigh of relief. Crone is standing on the bridge in his sharpest uniform, from the command console rather than the helmsman's console. Most of the mess has been cleaned up, and a few work crews are fixing the last few broken or damaged components. As Crone turns, he sees a junior tech-priest hurrying to his master's call. The red-robed priest trips, and a quart of sacred machine oil splashes all over the front of Crone's uniform. The junior magos backs away, apologizing, and as one of the janitors comes over to help clean up, the man trips over his bucket of soapy water, splashing it all over Crone's freshly-polished boots. It's going to be a long trip...

Fortunately, the warp voyage is remarkably calm for the first week. The helmsman takes orders directly from the navigation pod. While the orders make no sense from a regular third-dimensional perspective, no doubt there is good reason for them. The ship's Gellar fields holds the foul warp at bay. However, on the tenth day of the voyage, panicked squawks come from the Navigator's pod. As she bursts out of the pod, klaxons wail and the ship begins to shake violently. The helmsmen on duty quickly begins firing retro-thrusters and grav-stabilizers to bring the ship under control. Damage and injury reports begin to trickle in from the rest of the ship; you are out of the warp... but where?

Spoiler
    Show
    Temporal hole was the warp encounter rolled and Selrya didn't see it coming... so you're out of the warp somewhere unexpected... you'll need to take your bearings and let the warp engines recharge for a bit. Time to make some augury rolls on the ship's scanners to figure out where you are.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Crone

Crone stalked the bridge in the dim light of the warp running lights. He glanced at the observation port double checking that the cover was attached, he knew sailors who had lost their souls staring into the warp. His next glance was at the Geller field status, thankfully all sectors showed green, all Geller field panels operating at over 89% filed strength.

He had trouble sleeping since moving into Harte's quarters, he didn't know if it was Harte's lingering corruption or just warp jitters but the portents had been bad, a trail of ripped or stained uniforms and minor glitches had made that clear.

His reverie was shattered as the ship shuddered into real space, alarms blaring, the anti gravity plates rippling he was thrown forwards, only his flip belt cushioning the impact as he flew across the bridge.

Looking at Selrya he asked "Selrya what happened? A storm? A tear?" Then more authoritatively barked orders at the helm. "All stop, hold position in realsoace, bearing 00:000:00 relative to now."

Then he hops into the auger pit, "Come on now my friends, let's see where in the Emperor's benevolent realm we are eh?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Navigate (Stellar) (1d100)[70] TN 48
    Auger Sweep (1d100)[59] TN scrutiny 57+10 detection =67

Last edited by DrK; 2021-03-05 at 02:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167

While Kais preferred to work in the lower decks and remain useful that didn't mean he also wouldn't stay well connected with the council all the same. He fancied himself a more direct link to the heart and soul of the ship and crew, though the truth of that was up for debate.

Hearing the sirens blare he quickly keyed his micro-bead he had reserved for the council's use. "What is the situation? My readouts don't show any major damage but the sirens are not sounding without reason."

Meanwhile he too was picking himself up off the floor, thankful that his armor offered such solid protection from the sudden impact that his body experienced. The others nearby were not all as lucky but at least nobody seemed to have major injuries as far as he could tell for the moment.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

Only a few minutes after the sirens started, Father Answin entered the bridge, escorted by two Zealots. He kept to the back of the bridge, ascertaining the situation by the doings and hurried conversations of the bridge crew.

"We have been ejected from the Warp unexpectedly, Shas'ui." the priest reported to Kais in a calm, low voice. "We have yet to discover where and why, and whether we are in danger, thus we should remain alert."
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-03-06 at 04:12 PM.
    as

Show

Glory to the Flame!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It takes the Kroot navigator a few minutes to calm down, but eventually she draws herself up to her full height and says, "As well explain to a fish the trial of climbing a mountain! There is an intrusion of reality into the warp! This whole... island... in the warp has no currents. No way to get back..." she trails off. It's hard to tell what the strange mutant xeno is thinking.

Crone leaves her to her devices while he and a few officers start poring over star-charts and auger data. He's joined by Father Answin and Kais after a few minutes. Because of the incomplete star-charts, Crone's not able to conclusively identify which of the stars they're heading towards, but it's a massive yellow hyper-giant, perhaps fifty times the mass of holy Sol. It's currently flaring off masses from its outer layers, which will render travel to the inner cauldron of the system somewhat risky. Sensors pick up several asteroid clusters and belts scattered around the system, possibly the remnants of planets destroyed by the cruel star. There is one small planet that seems to have survived, slowly making its transit around the star. Trailing behind it are a series of unusual signals. It looks like a debris field to Crone. From ships.
    Last edited by dojango; 2021-03-08 at 03:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Crone

Crone calls up the auger images and flicks them onto the main view screen. "Interesting I think. Feels like fate" . Awaiting the rest of the council he looks up as Rendara and Father Answin arrives. He nods, "Greetings, we have debris, ships destroyed by something trailing that planet. Any chance we could have an augury to see if its safe?" He grins at Selrya, "Our beaky friend has spoken of a hole in warp space and I'm thinking the fates have dropped us here for something."

As he awaits a possible augury he focuses the augurs on the debris and the planet they trail

Focused Augury (1d100)[16] TN 67

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

"Can you clarify 'no way back', Selrya? Can you tell us how much space this 'island in the Warp' encompasses?" Father Answin asked with a calm, collected voice. This was... disconcerting. As Commander Crone mentioned debris of shattered ships, his gaze turned towards Kais. It may be just the remains of a battle. Or the remains of those who had fallen into this trap before them. The Tau would probably know best how to tactically approach this situation.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Trying to calm Selrya down so she can clarify our situation:
    (1d100)[36] vs 92 (62 + 20 + 10 Xeno)
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-03-09 at 03:34 AM.
    as

Show

Glory to the Flame!

22. - Top - End - #172

The father was quick to explain the situation and he appreciated the efficiency. "Thank you for the update. I'll make my way up there shortly then." And with that he began his travel to the bridge, arriving mid-discussion about where they were and what they could see. The warp was foreign to his kind so he could not comment much on that aspect but he shook his head as if to dismiss the ideals of 'fate' while he removed his helmet so the others could see his face. "This is simply an occurrence, whether that be one to bring us misfortune or opportunity. I don't believe in 'fate'. Allow me a look at the scans, we should seek truth rather than speculation." Kais would move to look at the readings while Father Answin worked the augurs. He hoped to pool some insights into the situation all the same and possibly determine whether or not the debris seemed indicative of a trap or if some other misfortune had befallen the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Logic test vs 60: (1d100)[100]
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Astropath Rendara
    She will come onto the bridge confused. Her mind unfortunately being so caught in warp energies she was sensing around her that she didn't full keep track of everything happening
    "Wait what is happening? Stupid Immaterium being so.... noisy...."
    She focuses and tries to recall. Oh right. She needed to have a word with Megaira to not break protocol like that again. Maybe keep an eye on her a little more, make sure she does her job right. They had another problem now: apparently they were in some island of the warp? Somewhere dangerous.
    "....Perhaps I can get a reading with my abilities...."
    She will try and focus her psychic abilities to sense if there is any psychic anomalies or demons in the system.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Psyniscience roll:
    (1d100)[22] (Psyniscience 67)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Father Answin manages to calm down the strange Kroot after a few minutes. She picks up one of her strange totems, a few knucklebones tied together. She tosses it away from her and says, "See? It keeps going after it leaves my claw. We kept going until we hit the realspace mountain. Or the floor in this case. Only a parsec or so." She sits down abruptly and lies down. "I've been awake for nearly a week you know."

Crone and the others spend some time poring over the auger data. In time, the heat signatures resolve into a clearer picture. The whole assemblage is following the planet in the trailing L1 point. There is one large assemblage of six ships, each one looking something like the ship below. Two of them are badly damaged, domes exposed to space, central spars warped and broken. The other four have lights shining from the domes, powered by large solar sails spread out from the stern of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

There is also a mostly intact merchant transport about a hundred klicks away from the main assemblage. It is on low power mode and drifting through the void. Its transponder identifies it as the New New Carissa, a chartist freighter. Between these two ends of the graveyard there is a debris field of shattered ships and piecemeal debris; the largest piece appears to be the foreward half of an small raider ship, about the same size as one of the ones you so recently faced.

Spoiler: Kais
    Show
    In the words of Commander Farsight, "It's the heat signatures that you don't see that will get you." There's an unknown unknown out there, and you don't like it one bit.

Rendara listens to the xeno's confused explanations. It's the kind of nonsense you'd expect from an untrained xeno that only a fool or a madman would trust to navigate through warp. She spends some time meditating on the nature of the warp in this region. It feels very far away, and reaching out to contact it feels like you have to push your way through a thicket of dense brush to even be able to make contact with the warp. She senses that whatever this is is centered on the planet near the starship graveyard. And this is different than whatever has caused astropathic communication to be cut off in the Heathen Stars; if that is a buzzing interference in the warp that drowns out all attempts at communication, this is an firm barrier between this dimension and the warp.

25. - Top - End - #175

Kais shook his head and all but tossed his hands up to signal his frustration. "I can't make any sense of this but the pervasive feeling of trouble remains. Something is very wrong here as far as my instincts are telling me, if we move in or linger then we invite trouble upon us once more. I recommend we move the ship to a low alert at the least, ensure people are at their stations. Beyond that? Well, I would favor caution over risk at this stage but we are a council and thus will weigh every opinion."

Prime opportunity for an ambush as curious or greedy travelers would investigate the remains, though truly he felt that this was more likely connected to this...hole in the warp. Might as well voice that concern even without evidence. "Could be a trap set by pirates but I don't think so, they'd likely rather take what scrap they could and go. I know next to nothing of the warp but I'm worried that this situation and the 'hole' that brought us out could be connected."
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Crone

Crone looks about the others and nods at the blue skinned Kais. "Looks to be power on some domes, if we go silent we can approach the Chartist and investigate what happened to them?" he suggests.

Then turning to the bridge a much louder, "Move to alert status, rig the ship for silent running. Quarter speed now, nice and gentle. "

Pilot check (1d100)[31] TN 77

As the ship powers down partially they start to move to the trader and he looks around. "Be a few hours till we reach her. Shall we board her and see if we can find a clue?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Rendara:
    "The warp....feels strangely distant here. As if some.....wall or something is making it difficult to get to. Strange. Like wherever we are is specially shielded or something. What could possibly be able to even do that?"
    She says, shaking her head.
    "Admittedly its better than hearing the....constant screams....but its not normal and that is never good. I agree with Kais that we should remain alert. Whatever this place is, something powerful is making it exist."

28. - Top - End - #178

Seneschal Xantha Ward

In-between attempts to bribe, intimidate, trick, or otherwise recruit informants both in-person and over short-range communication networks, Xantha sent a report describing her findings to her peers in the senior staff. Anyone who actually bothered to read them was greeted by her informal, meandering, profanity-laced speech simply put to page by a cogitator program. A small note at the bottom displayed a short computer address, describing it as the location of the audio that was transcripted, and a suggestion that this might be a better way to digest the information.

-----

The dynasty's newest Seneschal took in the description of their current situation with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, we're not equipped to haul the hulk back for scrap, unless you've been hiding some void chains in the Officer's Lounge cupboard. From a financial perspective, best we can do is scavenge. As a chartist ship, there's like to be something in the cargo holds. Unless it's a trap. Which it is, if anyone else has sorted out the warp-realspace mixup. Forced de-translation, in a fixed location, with little to no warning and a debris field? It's like the Emperor Himself answered a pirate's prayers."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC
    Last edited by jolinaxas; 2021-03-11 at 10:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Father Answin

"At least it seems unlikely these are the machinations of the Ruinous Powers. They thrive on the Warp, and would never create a zone shielded from the Warp, trap or not." the priest mused after some silence, stroking his beard deep in thought.
    "One must be of vast power to create something like this. I agree, I don't believe just any pirate would have the means of creating such a trap, either. With the exception of Eldar Corsairs, possibly."
    He looked at the pictures more closely.
    "Do any of you recognise the make of these sunsail vessels? They do not seem to be of Eldar origin." he looked from Kais, who was a Xenos, and thus probably knowledgeable of Xenos vessels, to Commander Crone, who he knew was somewhat of a scholar of Xenos.
    "This... 'island', as Selrya put it, could possibly be old, very old. Their star seems to be, at least. If one commands this much power, why use it to create a mere trap for the odd ship passing through? I presume it is more than that. Maybe the former inhabitants created this. A place they deemed secure from the predations of Chaos. Alas, without the Emperor's light, it wasn't, it seems."
    He kept silent for a moment.
    "Are there any signals coming from the planet's surface? Anything noticeable?"
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2021-03-11 at 04:08 PM.
    as

Show

Glory to the Flame!

30. - Top - End - #180

Kais didn't have to bother wracking his brain for the answer to Answin's question. "I'm fire caste, not air. My military knowledge pertains to ground engagements, combat at rifle range or closer. I could not tell you one ship from another unless they were Tau vessels...or our auxiliary." It seemed that the group was intent upon searching this place despite his warnings, so be it. He considered it a bad idea indeed but he would do his best to assist nonetheless in boarding the lifeless vessels.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf