New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Spells in 5th ed, and where to read up on them.

Long time 3.5 ed DM here, that has taken a break of a few years of DnD, and currently now DMing a 5th ed campaign.

Lots of spells have changed ! I sat down with the PHB, disappointed that the small summary of each spell in the spell lists have gone. Also the classes that get the spells are not mentioned in the spell description. I find both things problematic. How are you supposed to read the spell chapter, go back and forth for every spell?

Are there any better resources to dive into the world of spells in 5th ed? Or a changelog from 3rd, to better use my old knowledge?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Spells in 5th ed, and where to read up on them.

Type “5etools spells” into google
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

DnDBeyond is a good source for this. You can filter spells by class and sort by level. Quick click to open up each spell to see the description.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by PetterTomBos View Post

Lots of spells have changed

[...]

Or a changelog from 3rd, to better use my old knowledge?

All the spells have changed, and the assumptions from 3.X don't apply to this new game's magic system. A changelog would need to go through all the spells one by one.

Hope you have tons of fun with this edition regardless.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    All the spells have changed, and the assumptions from 3.X don't apply to this new game's magic system. A changelog would need to go through all the spells one by one.

Hope you have tons of fun with this edition regardless.
    Good to know, thanks!

While we are at it: does the bonds/flaws/ideals have any concrete mechanical effects? Looks like 5e has a fate system growing inside it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

While we are at it: does the bonds/flaws/ideals have any concrete mechanical effects? Looks like 5e has a fate system growing inside it.
    I mean, depends what you mean. They're roleplaying descriptors, but Inspiration can be awarded to a player who RP nice (among other ways to get it), and some mechanical effects do change the bonds/flaws/ideals of whoever is subjected to them.

Don't think 5e has anything like a "Fate system".

I advise you to read the whole edition with no assumption from 3.X, it's a whole different game and pretty much everything is different even when it has a familiar name.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-12-01 at 08:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Good to know, thanks!

There are no real mechanical effects to bonds/flaws/ideals, they are there mainly for role-playing purposes. However, there are a few mechanical effects that can change a characters bonds/flaws/ideals. Mostly different types of extremely high level madness come to mind, for example you can suddenly gain the ideal "I am the hunter and the world is my prey" by being close to Baphomet's layer if I recall correctly.

Actually there is supposed to be a mild mechanical bite to bonds/flaws/ideals in that it's suggested that DMs give players inspiration for roleplaying those aspects well, but I've never really seen that done consistently.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Good to know, thanks!

Dude, you are picking up the game after being away for more than a decade and skipping a whole edition.

Slow down and start by reading the Player's Handbook.