New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Martial Versatility for Arcane Archer's Arcane Shot

The new optional rule for Martial Versatility states that you can swap out one fighting style for another and that Battle Masters can swap out one maneuver for another.

Would it make sense to allow other martial archetypes that choose special options/attacks like the Arcane Archer (who get Arcane Shot) to swap out one option. For example swapping out one Arcane shot for another?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Martial Versatility for Arcane Archer's Arcane Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The new optional rule for Martial Versatility states that you can swap out one fighting style for another and that Battle Masters can swap out one maneuver for another.

Would it make sense to allow other martial archetypes that choose special options/attacks like the Arcane Archer (who get Arcane Shot) to swap out one option. For example swapping out one Arcane shot for another?
    Yes absolutely. Arcane Archer is considered weak already, so there isn't much worry in allowing someone to do this with Arcane Shot.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Arcane Archer's considered weak? I have one in a game, and he's seeming pretty strong to me.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GravityEmblem View Post
    Arcane Archer's considered weak?
    One of the less optimal Fighter subclasses, and decently far down on the list of optimized "archer" or even "magical archer" build options as well.

Their whole shtick revolves around their Arcane Shot, and not only are the Arcane Shot options kinda lackluster, the big downside is that they can only apply them to two attacks per short rest until 15th level. Other types of archer builds can do their cool tricks a lot more often than twice per short rest.

A Battlemaster with some caster levels or related feats, Sword Pact Hexbow Warlock, faux-bow Eldritch Blast Warlock, Swords or Valor Bard, Eldritch Knight, Ranger, or a Bladesinger with a Hand Crossbow all make for a better "magic archer". (Even a Paladin magic archer is viable, especially if your DM will allow ranged Smites, but it's still semi-workable without that on some Oaths like Ancients or Devotion.)
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-12-01 at 11:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcane Archer's considered weak? I have one in a game, and he's seeming pretty strong to me.
    I think fighter is a good enough package that any well built one won't feel weak, but with Arcane Archers you mostly only get to do your cool thing 2 times per short rest so especially in campaigns where resting isn't very frequent it can just feel like you don't get to make a lot of interesting choices in combat.

And as far as OP is concerned with shot swapping, definitely let them swap if they want to. Some of the arcane shot options are much weaker or less useful than the others so your player can potentially get a lot more fun out of the subclass by just changing out a lame shot for a better one.
    Last edited by Necromas; 2020-12-01 at 10:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't get me wrong, Arcane Archers can do extremely well in a game. The fighter base chassis is good to start out with, but compared to the Battlemaster they don't stand up.

That being said, an Arcane Archer is one of the characters that I have lined up for a future campaign. I love the flavor of them and curved shot sounds like so much fun!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

7. - Top - End - #7

DrowGirl

His Arcane Shot options are Grasping Arrow (which he loves using) and Piercing Arrow. He also has the Two-Weapon Fighting Style, and is a Longtooth Shifter.

...yeah, he's not really an optimized character build.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Arcane Archers can do extremely well in a game. The fighter base chassis is good to start out with, but compared to the Battlemaster they don't stand up.

That being said, an Arcane Archer is one of the characters that I have lined up for a future campaign. I love the flavor of them and curved shot sounds like so much fun!
    Curved shot seems like an almost inspiration every round, I haven't gotten to level 7 yet though, but I think as long as you take Sharpshooter feat you'll/I'll be good enough. (I cheated and took variant human lmao)
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I mean, TCE made it better by giving them another fighting style with the addition with Superior Technique. Grabbing Superior Technique Fighting Style alongside the Martial Adept feat gives them a huge amount of versatility.

The thing I've added to the Arcane Archer at my table is expanding their Arcane shot options. They can expend a arcane shot use to cast either Hex, Hunter's Mark, or Fire Arrows.

Still, no one has picked it. Hell, I'd even let them research other unique Arcane Shots. Fog Cloud Shot, Sleep Shot, Blindness shot, et cetera.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I mean, TCE made it better by giving them another fighting style with the addition with Superior Technique. Grabbing Superior Technique Fighting Style alongside the Martial Adept feat gives them a huge amount of versatility.

The thing I've added to the Arcane Archer at my table is expanding their Arcane shot options. They can expend a arcane shot use to cast either Hex, Hunter's Mark, or Fire Arrows.

Still, no one has picked it. Hell, I'd even let them research other unique Arcane Shots. Fog Cloud Shot, Sleep Shot, Blindness shot, et cetera.
    1 Arcane shot for an hour of Hex? I would be using that constantly. So much DPR with Sharpshooter, Hex, and Archer Fighting Style (and if you are lucky picking up some bracers of Archery. Frankly I would be hard pressed not to take Fey Touched on an Arcane Archer.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Frankly I would be hard pressed not to take Fey Touched on an Arcane Archer.
    Magic Initiate: Warlock would be worth considering. It not only gives you Hex 1/day like Fey Touched, but also a couple additional utility cantrips to utilize for more of a "magical" feel for the character, beyond just the Prestidigitation/Druidcraft that the class already gets.

Still... Even with Hex, the Arcane Archer is lacking as a subclass, but it definitely helps a bit. Especially since you don't have anything else to use your Concentration on.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Magic Initiate: Warlock would be worth considering. It not only gives you Hex 1/day like Fey Touched, but also a couple additional utility cantrips to utilize for more of a "magical" feel for the character, beyond just the Prestidigitation/Druidcraft that the class already gets.

Still... Even with Hex, the Arcane Archer is lacking as a subclass, but it definitely helps a bit. Especially since you don't have anything else to use your Concentration on.
    Agreed, that is definitely an option. Although you have already spend stat points on Dex, Con, and Int. Getting Cha up for anything other than utility cantrips is rough.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, it'd be strictly for utility cantrips, picking stuff like Minor Illusion and Mage Hand.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

I figure Eldritch Knights should be able to swap cantrips, too.