New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Default Mold Earth Question

With the mold earth cantrip, it states you can target loose earth that fits in a 5 ft cube, and instantly escavate it, then deposit it up to 5 ft away.

My question is, since it doesnt state anything about the space being occupied, could you target a space with a small creature ( goblin, kobold, etc..) and create a 5 ft pit for them to instantly fall into, then re-deposit the earth back on top of them essentially burying them alive? Of course they would get a dex or strength check, but could you do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Mold Earth Question

So reading the spell, it says that the dirt you excavate moves along the ground to its new spot. Putting it back on top of a creature would mean that it is traveling over open air. So...probably not?

But I might allow it for fun. I might just make the area difficult terrain for that creature as the space gets filled back in.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The description mentions that it doesn’t excavate worth enough force to cause damage.

Unfortunately, exploring this as a combat spell has been done so exhaustively and the general consensus is that it can’t be used to bury people alive or cause fall damage.

Unless you dig the pits in advance.
    However, it is still an outstanding utility spell.
    Forts, mobile cover, blocking passages, stairs, quick burials, etc..
    Our party would go so far as having a Donkey loaded with fill dirt for emergency situations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What if someone shoves an enemy into a premade mold earth 5 ft hole. You use your action to cover up the 5 ft hole, would the enemy be restrained? Suffocating? Because irl if you’re buried neck deep or if it goes over your head you will be dead pretty fast.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

You can certainly incapacitated people with it (e.g. Sleeping enemies), since they can't move and they can't leave after you're done. A 5' hole is deep enough to bury a prone medium creature. 10' pit to be sure if the target is particularly strong.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    What if someone shoves an enemy into a premade mold earth 5 ft hole. You use your action to cover up the 5 ft hole, would the enemy be restrained? Suffocating? Because irl if you’re buried neck deep or if it goes over your head you will be dead pretty fast.
    I don't think this works since the spell says you "move it along the ground." I think that means the dirt moves to the edge of the hole, moves down the edge and across the bottom, gathering around their feet and raising them up instead of burying them.

I'd allow it to cover inanimate objects, and likely incapacitated creatures.