New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [PF1e Megadungeon] An Otherworldly Mountain (IC)

Causing her handbow to light up the room in the courtesy of a casting of a light spell, Elayne searches the body for anything useful other than what she seen.

"He looks half-elven. Either Gaston or Melvin from the list. I did not expect that we happen on a corpse that quick."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception to search body: (1d20+9)[18]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur waits for the others to search the body. Meanwhile, he makes an observation. "If that was a magical trap, that should be easy to notice. Like, you just detect magic everywhere we go. Starting, like, now."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

"Speaking of which ..." Sivi moves closer to the south door and begins checking it over while the others busy themselves with the fallen man.

Spoiler: mechanics, taking 20
    Show
    After glancing at my path of travel between here and there -- Perception (d20+13)[24] to find traps -- I'll inspect the door thoroughly for a total Perception of 33.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement One

Elayne's search of the body is not fruitless, but it is not encouraging. Examining the man's pack, she finds a large, ragged hole in it and nothing else. Presumably anything in the pack now lies strewn across the dungeon somewhere. However, when searching around the man's neck she finds two things- a signet ring hanging on a chain with the symbol of some house on it that has been defaced to illegibility by a sharp tool like a dagger, alongside a blue stone circle on a chain with a circle of runes surrounding a stern dwarven face made out of bronze, silver, and gold. This matches the description Bartimeus gave you for a key stone.

Sivi's exploration of the southward facing door takes twenty minutes, but she does find something. There is an active "trap" on the door, hidden in the plethora of runes that cover it's surface. When the door is opened, which will occur when someone comes within a foot of it, a silent alarm will be triggered somewhere in the prison. Who is alive to hear the alarm and what their reaction will be remains a mystery.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #95

AssassinGuy

Elayne holds up an object turned up in her search.

"What a surprise! This man has a key stone among his possessions. I will hold on to this until we either turn it in to Barthimeus for cash or need it to access an area depending on our decision."

She takes her journal out, dropping the stone into her pack. She updates it with the details from the parchment and her findings in this floor before stowing it away. The samsaran's eyes glow blue as she takes her place just some distance behind Sivi, scanning the door for any trace of magic.

Show
    Cast Detect Magic.

Knowledge (Arcana) to identify any detected magic: (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-01-16 at 02:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

"Seems fair." Alexos comments when the key stone is found. "Perhaps we keep ahold of this one, and turn in any others we find for a reward. Anyhow, I suppose we ought to return the body back up to the entrance chamber. Shame, didn't think a corpse would be the first thing we hauled up."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi adds a shorthand note about the alarm to her map, then informs her allies. "No traps. But if we open the door, there's some sort of alarm set up SOMEwhere in the complex. It's probably silent and it's probably not monitored anyway, so let's move ahead, if you're all ready."

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

"Or you check the western door first. I am not too eager to inform the kobolds of our arrival." Says Gashur with a shrug. "There should be a reason the groups going there never came back."
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-01-16 at 02:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    "Seems fair." Alexos comments when the key stone is found. "Perhaps we keep ahold of this one, and turn in any others we find for a reward. Anyhow, I suppose we ought to return the body back up to the entrance chamber. Shame, didn't think a corpse would be the first thing we hauled up."
    "Agreed. Up and back quickly, then the door? Can the alarm be disabled, nimble fingers?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure thing." Alexos replies. "Er, if someone could help me carry him to the platform, I'd appreciate it. We'll try not to take to long. Lord knows I'm not good at talking to people, but force me to deal with a dead stranger?" Alexos shakes his head.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Elayne perceives an alarm spell, and well as a spell that raises and lowers the door when someone comes close.
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #102

AssassinGuy

Elayne points to the door she perceive with her magical eyes.

"It is still a trap. A magical one at that. Unless we have the means to negate it, tread at our own risk."

She turns to Gashur.

"Perhaps we can use a kobold as a guide around here if we leave or catch one alive. They make a good source of information for our logbooks if one of us know how to speak draconic."

She shifts her body as she loots the dead half-elven. Once she finish stripping all the possession minus the clothing and symbol that serve as identification, she arrange them into a pile.

"Discuss among yourselves which tool or possession in the pile that I gather is best distributed to who while I scan the remaining room for magic. After that, let's take the corpse up before we continue."

The samsaran scans the remaining room for remnants of magic. If there is none, she will wait for the party's decision.

Show
    Cast Detect Magic, scanning the remainder of the room and doors for magic.

Knowledge (Arcana) to ID spell (vs DC 20+Spell Level) if there is one: (1d20+7)[8]

Knowledge (Arcana) to ID spell (vs DC 15+Spell Level) if there is one: (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-01-21 at 06:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "Or you check the western door first. I am not too eager to inform the kobolds of our arrival," says Gashur with a shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    "Can the alarm be disabled, nimble fingers?"
    "Well, the west door's alarm is dead, so we could just start there instead. I don't think I could do anything about that kind of trap -- as soon as someone gets too close to the door, it'll open up and the alarm will go off. Can't do my work without getting close enough to touch it. So, west, then?" Sivi doesn't seem bothered by the change in direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    "Discuss among yourselves which tool or possession in the pile that I gather is best distributed to who while I scan the remaining room for magic. After that, let's take the corpse up before we continue."
    Sivi demurs. "Oh, none for me. I'm pretty specialized ... daggers and little tools, both of which I already have."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2021-01-21 at 06:15 AM.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Who is taking the keystone? Sivi?

Inga will help move the body to the transporter pad. (Wrong genre!)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

"Assuming they can be made to talk, I would be able to communicate. We'll see how it goes." Gashur shrugs. "West it is, then, just wait while we haul up the body."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Along with those helping him move the deceased, Alexos gives the command from the pad to return to the entrance.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement One

Elayne's survey of the room determines that all the doors are magical in as much as they rise and fall automatically when you approach or pass through them, but only the southern door has an alarm spell on it. Part of the party splits off, standing on the circular rune stone and speaking the dwarvish word for "Up".

The Prison- Ground Floor

The archaeologists take a step back in surprise when people return from down below so quickly, and fall back even more when they realize the cargo that comes with them. Several rush away to see to other duties, but Bartimeus solemnly steps forward, calling over a few of the young archaeologists to help. One comes with a large roll of linen. "If you could set him down off the pad, please. I'm loathe to step on that thing." Once he has had a moment to examine the corpse, he sighs and shakes his head. "Gaston... they say he went deeper than anyone else." The team of scientists begin stripping him of his armor, following up by wrapping him in linen. Bartimeus calls one human woman forward and points towards the door. "Go to Qwerk's and buy some firewood. The pyre will start in an hour." Then his attention returns to the group. "Thank you for bringing him up. We'll see to his arrangements."
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

"Did he look this old when he went in? I wonder what he was hit by, assuming his sword and armor were in normal condition when you last met."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Ground Floor

"No, not at all. He was a young man, perhaps in his late twenties or thirties when he embarked. And his equipment was... different. He must have found arms and armor within the dungeon." Bartimeus reaches a hand out and strokes the dead man's cheek. "I had hoped that the Mutts would reach the bottom floor. If this... foul magic is any indication... perhaps they did."
    The Bear is Back.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

"Too bad they tried to do it in one go and leave no notes. I wish we could ask him some questions. Whatever. We'll try to report more often. Let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to descend and open the door west.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexos, looking back solemnly at the fallen adventurer, returns to the pad and gives the command to return to the group below.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2021-01-27 at 01:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

AssassinGuy

Before she steps on the pad and wait for Alexos's dwarven command, Elayne takes out the parchment with the list of names and crosses out Gaston.

"Wait! Before we go down again, do the listed these expedition members have any notable features? Scars, birthmarks, birth defect or other visual features? If so, you might want to update this parchment. Additional details like the pitch of their voice, their usual behavior, and etc, would also be great if you can provide them. We would appreciate it as it would make it easier for us to identify any of the lost members."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-01-27 at 08:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Ground Floor

"I don't remember perfectly, but I do remember a few things that may assist you in identifying them." Bartimeus takes a quill and jots a few notes down on the list of party members who braved the dungeon.

The Prison- Basement 1

The group returns to the chamber, having dropped Gaston's body off for apparent cremation by the archaeologists.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-01-31 at 09:32 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi is waiting near the west door, dagger in hand. "Everybody ready? I'll go through first."

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #115

AssassinGuy

Elayne nods as Bartimeus jots down what he remembers. The follow up descend and one statement later, she holds a hand up, palm facing Sivi, who is waiting by the western entrance.

"We haven't decide on what to do with the keystone we acquired. I, for one, agree we should keep this one, leaving it with Sivi who can do us a service by opening all those locked doors for us. What do you think?"

Her head flicks between the rest of the group and the rogue at brief intervals.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-02-01 at 06:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur stands ready to intercept anythyng coming from behind the door. He nods in agreement to proposed keystone allocation.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't see why that wouldn't work." Alexos says from his position in the back of the group, his hands gripping his quarterstaff tightly.

28. - Top - End - #118

AssassinGuy

Once Eonn utters those words, Elayne closes the distance and drops the keystone onto Sivi's hand.

"Lead on."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-02-05 at 12:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

The western door opens into a straight hallway with three offshoots- two to the left and right respectively with iron doors bearing a blue circular slot in them fifteen feet in, and a chamber further down. Darkvision reveals the walls to be made from red stone. The same dull red lights are emitted from sconces near the ceiling, reflecting crimson light down. This poor illumination limits regular vision, but does nothing to limit the senses of those with dark vision or superior low light senses. Inside the chamber is a large circular hole, ten feet in diameter, but it is impossible to see inside without getting closer.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

After accepting the precious stone, Sivi slides quietly ahead to give the north and south doors a once-over. She's being very cautious, though not as thorough as with the doors from the entry chamber.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Stealth: (d20+9)[12]
    Perception from the doorway to the split (AJ51 to AL51 on the googledoc map): (d20+13)[26]
    Perception looking north (d20+13)[27], looking south (d20+13)[20], looking west (d20+13)[21]
    All Perception checks are -1 for anything other than traps.

Current games list