New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Storm Giant's Sword

The six friends sat at their favorite table, not to close to the fire and not to close to the stage where their conversations would be drowned out by the musicians that occasionally played. Old Sid knew them all since the age they were allowed to enter as adults.
    Tonight was a special night as it was their last night before they set off in the morning.
    Old Sid had just set down a round of drinks and was headed back to the bar.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-1st-level-Ooc
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-04-12 at 06:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Storm Giant's Sword

Heather

Sitting with her friends she raised a pint in cheers - partly as she knew that with this group she was likely the light weight when it came to drinking and a toast would slow her down "to the start of a new adventure" she stated "but at some point tonight we should likely decide where we are going - a larger town for quests, some old battlefield for relics, the mountains for hidden locations or anything else - world is our oyster but we still need to know how we are planning to open it" she offered with a smile, she would be happy to listen and debate any options but she preferred to do it now rather then with a hangover tomorrow morning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Aubree

Aubree lounged in his chair, rocking casually with his boots up on the table. The group wasn't necessarily the most impressive band he could have found, but they were old drinking friends, which certainly counted in their favour.

"We should go up in to the mountains. There must be all sorts of monsters and mysteries. You know that's where old Torin used to fight? Slaying any monster that got too close to the village. Once we've earned our spurs we'll be welcome in any town."

Aubree's hand strayed to his staff which to his senses only seemed energized: it was like it was goading him on, eager to be used.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There is a half elf sitting at the table, wine in front of her as she cleans and then inspects her nails. Speak for yourself, Aubree. With my flute and my lute, as well as my voice, I am already welcome in any inn from here to the sea. Not to mention any of the beds from here to there as well.

She then takes a drink of her wine as she relaxes in her chair.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

Aubree

"Well I'm yet to find a bed I'm unwelcome in either, Gal" Aubree smirked. "But we agreed we were going to go on an adventure together, and I don't know if there's a bed big enough for the whole group."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Heather

"Yes, yes I am sure convincing anyone to sleep with ye is a remarkable achievement" she joked "but on the topic of tomorrow - unless we actually know that the mountains have something in them worth exploring we could search for days or weeks and find nothing more impressive them a bush" she shrugged as she considered "of course the flora and fauna do likely deserve to be studied so I am happy with that path if we want to take it but want to be sure the rest of you are fully on board with that".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Convincing? Who needs to convince? I get invitations thrown at me.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Heather

"So is that a second in support of Aubree's idea for a trip into the mountains - it would be a good way to escape your rampant suiters after all".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"The river spirits have always said the mountain spirits are stodgy, but respectable," says Bekkah, "the forest and meadow spirits have never really had anything to say about them, since they don't get around much. So I guess mountains are okay?"
    Last edited by Rokku; 2021-04-11 at 07:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

The mountains are okay with me. Perhaps with luck, we'll find an ancient shrine to Lady Firehair. The pretty blonde priestess smiled hopefully.

As for food, I think I've finally figured out a trick to conjure berries that'll fill you up. That'll just leave water, which I could always pray for. Melody continued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I do so hate camping. You know that.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

With a large tankard of ale that was definitely on its last legs in one hand, Val replied with his gravely voice "Bah, I bet you just don't enjoy the bugs and small things. I'm good where ever the gold may take us, and the road leads us." He paused for just a moment to take a final swig of his chosen liquor. "And besides with such beautiful company of those I see before me, how can the journey ever be sour!" The man would need more later, but for now he was happily coasting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"And oreads, exclaims Bekkah, overcome with excitement, "I've met a dryad and even a nymph once, but never an oread. There's nowhere rocky enough for them around here."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Heather

"Anywhere we go will have some camping - even the journey to a town would have some of the way" she stated to Galraerae before turning to Val "the issue is gold is taking us nowhere and the paths open to us take us anywhere".

"But it seems that most are happy with a mountain trail so ... " she snapped her fingers and muttered to herself for a second and an illusion of a map appeared on the table it was detailed enough but by no means perfect "... we are here and we have a number of potential sites that I have read about - any or all of them might not exist, or be inhabited by creatures we would be best avoiding". She gestured one of them "an old watch tower apparently abandoned when one of the ancient empires, fell strategically unimportant so never reclaimed - likely collapsed" pointing to second location "a lake which reported grants eternal life created from when the world was young - I suspect that story is not accurate in even to the slightest degree" to a third "underground tunnel reported used by monsters to invade the surface - I suspect merely an abandoned dwarven mine".

She picked up her pint again and took a sip "and a host of other areas that might be worth exploring most with there own stories which likely bare little relation to reality - assuming that we are content with the montains we should likely pick something so that we can have a general destination at the least even if nothing is there we might encounter something worthwhile on the journey anyway".

15. - Top - End - #15

I would imagine spot number 1. We'd likely be able to gather metal. Even if it were all rusted it could be put to use reforged. Melody says brightly.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

KABOOM the crash of thunder shook the inn. A hush fell over the group and another crack SWOOSH BOOM this time a bright red glow shown through all the windows and the smell of smoke swepted through the open cracks of the door. Screams pierced the air and in a loud voice
    Spoiler: if your character understands giant read this
    Show
    Bring me my sword!

Old Sid runs over to your table. Quick lads and lasses into the cellar. Grab what ever will help you.
    Turn the tap three times to the right on the last keg.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this sounds like the beginnings of an interesting tale...

Rae grabbed her instruments from the table, and made for the bar.

Turning the tap, and waiting for whatever it was that was supposed to heppen.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Bekka's eyes go wide.

"Guys, the giant's here for his sword. I don't know if we're going to make it out to the mountains..."

She picks up her bow and runs outside.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

Aubree's mind was jolted by Bekka's words. Of course it was the tongue of giants! Now that would be a real challenge...

He dashed behind the bar to grab a coil of rope (always handy) but whilst there his eyes lingered on a bottle of Old Sid's famous moonshine. He'd only tasted it once, but knew it packed a fearsome punch whilst being decidedly tasty. Sid had told them to grab what they needed... This might come in handy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Heather

She hadn't bothered to prepare the ritual for understanding languages before she started drinking and felt it was a waste of magical power now that Bekka had confirmed it was a giant. Noting Bekka's move outside rather then to the cellar she was of two minds on whether to go after her or not instead calling after her "Bekka cellar first we can regroup and plan as needed there ".

In the cellar she proceeded to grab a spyglass in case they did live through this and a book on history that she hoped would hold some new secrets before moving to the last keg with Galraerae, half expecting a passage to open - if Bekka's warning was correct and if it was a storm giant she didn't believe that fighting was in their interests at this time, and while conversing might work if the creature was calm enough it was not a plan she wanted to try unless all other options were off the table.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

It happened just before Val was about to get up to get another full pint of his delicious poison, "Oh shi-" and quickly snapping him out of his happy cloud and back back down into reality, and hustling down into the cellar with the rest of the group. "Giants, of course it's giants--or rather giant. I don't think he's looking for this toothpick though," The man patted the scabbard on his belt. However the time now wasn't for idle chatter or even fighting this thing, it was well above his own pay grade, the time now was to grab what he could and run. From what he could gather, he nabbed a climber's kit, and a single vial of flammable oil.
    Last edited by Alchemyst; 2021-04-14 at 06:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Well, this sounds like the beginnings of an interesting tale...

Rae grabbed her instruments from the table, and made for the bar.

Turning the tap, and waiting for whatever it was that was supposed to heppen.
    Lass down to the cellar. Your just wasting favorite ale.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Bekka's eyes go wide.

"Guys, the giant's here for his sword. I don't know if we're going to make it out to the mountains..."

She picks up her bow and runs outside.
    She sees two ogres coming her way looking up at the swaying sword above her head. One looks down yelling in giant. The other pushes the first one towards the side and he hits into the wall.

Lass no time for gawking get in the cellar. Old Sid yells.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    Aubree's mind was jolted by Bekka's words. Of course it was the tongue of giants! Now that would be a real challenge...

He dashed behind the bar to grab a coil of rope (always handy) but whilst there his eyes lingered on a bottle of Old Sid's famous moonshine. He'd only tasted it once, but knew it packed a fearsome punch whilst being decidedly tasty. Sid had told them to grab what they needed... This might come in handy.
    Lad get down to the cellar

25. - Top - End - #25

Melody rushes into the cellar.

Everyone, with me!

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Aubree turned, his hand tightening on his weapon. But no, rash actions wouldn't help now, and he acquiesced joining the rest of the group that hurried into the cellar at Sid's command.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok so the group is in the cellar gathering equipment and trying to get the last keg to work when the sound of battle can be heard from upstairs. Old Sid is yelling and the sound of tables being broken can be heard. A loud voice yells Where is the real sword? We will tear this whole village apart. The master wants what is his.

The door splinters open as a huge club comes crashing through. An ogre pushes his way in.
    Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    ok if you beat a 12 you can do your action. 12 is tied with ogre and anyone11 or less goes last. Need to ac 11.

The basement is 60 feet by 60 feet the door is on the left middle wall and the kegs are in the right wall top corner. There are six kegs each three foot in diameter with a spout in the middle.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-04-15 at 12:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Well now, look who's come to join the party." It was a simple matter to close the gap, after all. Rapier and board at the ready, all it took was a few small steps, a fade into the aether, and the next moment appearing straight in front of the imposing creature lunging straight into the vitals with the tip of his blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    So in order:
    Movement: Walk
    Bonus: Misty Step
    Attack: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[10]

29. - Top - End - #29

RedKnightGirl

Aubree

Seeing the monster barrel in, Aubree felt a surge run through him. This was what he had been looking for: a test to prove his worthiness. He advanced towards the creature and his hand began to glow with light. Now this was a trick Torin couldn't teach...

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Aubree the full distance of the room away from the ogre? Or were we interrupted before we could get to the other side and therefore within melee range? I'm going to roll for either eventuality and then describe the fluff retrospectively if that's alright?

If within 30ft, Aubree will move, use his bonus action to activate his hexblade's curse and then attack with his staff two handed.

Attack roll (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage [roll]1d8+7[/rolll]

If further than 30ft away Aubree will move so that he is 30ft distant, activate his hexblade's curse and then fire his eldritch blast.
    Attack roll - as above.
    Damage - (1d10+2)[3]
    Last edited by MrE; 2021-04-19 at 11:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, peabrain! When your friends said you were going clubbing today, this isn’t what they meant!

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Vicious Mockery. Wisdom save DC 14, or it takes (1d4)[2] psychic damage and disadvantage on attacks for its next turn.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!