New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [PF1e Megadungeon] An Otherworldly Mountain (IC)

Averheim

At the Border of the Meteor Crater District

The border between the city center and the former Rotarren residential district has become a border between worlds. Like any border, there are guards- Averheim's city guard has set up a cordon blocking anyone from approaching the crash site, with officers in half-plate barring entrance to any but a lucky few who have received sponsorships and permission from King Vernus or the ruling council. Fortunately for all of you, you have all received both. Like any border there are shops- last minute supply stalls for the intrepid souls ready to travel across the planes themselves, selling everything from weapons and armor to rope and water skins. There are even food stalls selling street meats and snacks, but that is mostly for the crowds that have formed to see you all off.

There aren't many of them today. The pouring rain had kept away all but the most dedicated. Clergy rendering blessings, bookies taking bets on who will return and how long they will be away, and lay people wishing well to the heroes that pass through their lives like birds of prey through a flock. If the murmurs of the guards are true, this is also a small group to make the journey- just five souls, ready to make the jump into undiscovered country. According to the sergeant who ushers you all past the crowd and through the barricade this is the first group to leave in over a month. "There just haven't been many people willing to put the diamond dust where their mouth is." He says with a chuckle. "It isn't like it was last year. Then you touched the rock and POOF you were there. Now you've got to bribe the damned stone. The sages say it has something to do with the waxing and waning of the magic, that it might get cheap again soon. You lot better hope so- I hear diamond dust costs twice as much at the Hard Place." A cheer goes up from the crowd as you are brought into the desolation that was once a populous district.

As you enter the rubble strewn streets, with buildings gutted by fire or crumbling in around themselves all around you, you all feel something odd. Those of you who are familiar with magic know what the warmth radiating against your skin is, but for those who are unstudied it just feels as though you've stepped into a tropical climate. Even the rain goes from chilling to warm in an instant. You also start to note a tinge of green in the air. Then you see the crater, the source of the light- an ambient emerald glow that fills the streets and causes the air itself to stir, blowing back hair with a gentle breeze.

It is here that you are met by a cadre of mages and clerics. Leading them is a smiling halfling in red velvet robes, wielding a staff nearly twice his own height. If you've come this far you've heard of him- Cedric Thoss, foremost expert on the meteor, on Vouno, and first to make the trip there and back. He strides up to you looking absolutely jubilant. "Excellent, excellent! Newcomers! Far travelers! Adventurers, one and all! Come to make the big trip!" He removes a large book from a messenger bag at his side, opens it up, and summons a quill with a quick cantrip. "Now, for the King and the council, we have to handle a few particulars first. Hold still while the clerics anoint you and the mages prepare you with the dust. While they do that, I'll take each of your names, your notable skills, and a personal quote for the history books. Though there are others who have gone before you, and possibly others who will follow after you, each and every one of you are history makers!" He licks the tip of his quill and prepares to write your responses, while the clerics and mages begin to circle, administering rituals and rites to facilitate your journey.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1e Megadungeon] An Otherworldly Mountain (IC)

"I... I'll suppose I will go first then." Speak a human dressed nicely but practically. Though an adult, he still has a child like excitement in his eyes. His backpack, neatly packed other large tome poking out the top seems to still have plenty of space for any artifacts that the group may find, though it was most notable for being the perch for a small crocodile who observed his surroundings dispassionately.

"My name is Alexos Smith, wizard. I specialize in transmutation. And a quote, huh? Well let's see here..." He thinks for a moment. This may be what is carved upon his tombstone, should he not return, so he'd better make it something good. "Though I may die, let it be know I have died treading new ground." He smiled at the mage. He was no bard, but it sounded good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi, a very small woman or tall girl with the distinctive blue-green skin of an undine, looks at her new companions and takes a step toward Cedric. Her dark green hair rolls in graceful waves, not in the least matted down by the rain. "I'm called Sivi, sir," she says, quite familiar with the protocol. Goodness knows she's observed it enough -- if she weren't about to travel herself, she'd be eagerly watching from the crowd.

"My main role is handling difficult entry. I can climb and swim past barriers easily, unlock doors, find and neutralize traps, that sort of thing. As an amateur archaeologist sponsored by the experts, I'll do it all with minimal disruption to the site. I speak several languages, I can read tracks, and if I may be so bold as to say, I'm probably in the top ten most knowledgeable people about Vouno since Serta the Ecclesiastic's team was lost two months ago." She certainly seems sure of herself!

"And my quote ..." Sivi clears her throat, making a burbling sound. "'You don't know yourself if you don't know the kiss of the diamond dust.'" A bit grandiose, perhaps, but fitting for one of the first travelers in a month.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A serious godlike beauty, ashen skin with matching locks garbing in robes similar to a priest on-duty, glances at the eager expert with the quill in hand with a raised eyebrow.

"My name is common knowledge in the city. The Moros are not the one to keep to themselves much. If you are not in the marketplace daily listening to their blathering, you would have missed my name. I suppose I will humor you. Elayne Moros. As for my specialties, well..."

Elayne unclasps her clasp and her robe falls out, exposing a scanty blue, sleeveless, short dress with much of her bare white skin. She gestures for the mages and clerics to anoint her as she does a sexy pose with a cat like smile in contrast to her earlier demeanor.

"Keeping the enemies' eyes on me, making my ally's performance look good while making my enemies look bad. And I know a bit of the Moros's craft so I would not say that is a notable skill to be added until I perfected it and survived the trip back."

Once the anointing is finished, the samsaran touches her index finger on her chin.

"Hmm, a saying that will go down into the annals of history. How about this? You can get in and get out or get in and not get out at all."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-12-03 at 09:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A large and muscular half-orc with a long-shafted hammer and a large backpack stops before Cedric.

"My name is Gashur. As an adventuring professional, I remain observant, sneak upon and past things, climb, swim, tumble, open locks, but primarily I kill things that move. And I'LL BE BACK. Now write it right there!"

He does not say or do much of anything else, waiting for the clerics and the mages to do their job. Business as usual, huh? Not quite, but we can pretend it to be.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I am Inga, servant of the holy word of Freya, eternal mother of the human realms. She grants me divine power to protect this team and bring them back alive. I also swing a sword better than most and have studied many of the religions of this plane and others.

For your book:
    Freya will guide us
    Freya will strengthen us
    Freya will see us home

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Meteor Crater

Cedric notes all you've said in his book, scribbling happily as you all speak. "Yes, yes, I see..." Meanwhile, the clerics and mages sprinkle you all with oils, spell components, and finally a sprinkle of diamond dust apiece. As the precious material rains down on each of you, you feel your skin tingle and take on a slight sheen. Suddenly the raindrops stop making contact with your skin, seeming to run off an invisible shield surrounding all your bodies. "Now that that's done, it's time for you all to make the leap!" Cedric closes his book and shakes his fists in excitement. "Follow me!"

The wizard leads you across the naked devastation of the area surrounding the crater, and soon you all see the area of impact coming closer. It isn't overly large, about the size of two of the district's houses set side by side. The hole is about forty feet deep, with a rope ladder set up to help climb down. As you all come to the rim of the crater you finally see the meteor itself- a perfectly spherical stone orb resting in the bottom of the crater, emitting a green glow that is nearly bright enough to be painful to look at. No one has been able to identify just what the meteor is made of, but it has been theorized that whatever magic caused it to survive the impact completely intact also may be responsible for it's plane shifting properties. Cedric walks over to the ladder and gestures for you all to descend. "Goodbye, brave adventurers, and may you return victorious from your expedition!"

All that remains is to climb down and touch the stone to begin your journey.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur does just that. He climbs down the ladder, somewhat slowly and somewhat awkwardly because of the long-shafted hammer he has to keep in hand, then jumps onto the stone from the height of five feet. He intends to take a good look around wherever he would appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+6)[13] with an extra +2 if there's dim light or darkness and an extra +2 to notice any hazards (not creatures)
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-03 at 01:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Exciting, isn't it?" Alexos says to his companion as he himself begins to descend into the pit. "I wonder what we'll find on the other side? I can only imagine all the new magics waiting to be discovered!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi eschews the ladder, climbing down the wall fluidly (no pun intended). To Alexos's question she replies, "Probably warmer temperatures, for starters. Elayne will be well dressed for the occasion. Elayne, I'm sorry to have to ask, but I don't know what your family is famed for, what you're still learning -- can you explain?"

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

Elayne re-dress, her expression morphing back to her serious disposition. When the rogue asks her what about her family's practice, she shrugs.

"You will find out soon."

She climbs down the ladder.

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfClericGuy

"What spells are they casting, sir Cedric?"

She will try to figure them out if he is evasive.

Then she will climb carefully down the ladder.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Meteor Crater

"Just half a dozen warding spells or so, my dear. Protection against death magic, protection against fire magic, etcetera. There have been anomalies in the transfer." Cedric looks down at the ground with a look of concern on his face for a few moments before looking up with that same smile. "Plus a spell of my own creation that facilitates the the teleportation since the stone has become more resistant to new travelers. That is what the diamond dust was for. Now go, go! Your time of greatness is upon you!" Inga can sense no lies in his words.

One by one you climb down the ladder and drop onto the stone, and one by one you feel as though someone has planted a hook behind your naval and yanked you like a hooked fish into a direction you didn't know existed. One by one the people who go before you disappear in a flash of emerald light.

In Transit

Within a moment that is either a split second or a thousand years, you all feel as though you are bodiless, being pulled through a void filled with millions of stars. You feel yourselves moving at unfathomable speed, but in that brief (or excruciatingly long) moment, you have the distinct feeling of being observed, as though a being of incalculable size were watching you with some interest. Then there is a flash of red light and your journey ends.

Vouno

In the Meteor Crater

One by one you appear in an identical crater, this time standing on top of a perfect sphere that glows a crimson red. Climbing the ladder that hangs nearby (one in far worse condition, but still structurally sound), you arrive on Vouno. The air is substantially warmer than the plane you just left, as well as drier. The soil in a rusty red, and dust is blown up by the stern winds, almost immediately coating your clothes and gear. The air is also thinner, an experience that reminds Gashur of his time on top of tall mountains. About a hundred yards away there are two structures. The first is a haphazard tent, bolted to the ground. It ripples in the wind, and a sizable sign hangs over a part in the tent reading "The Hard Place" in common. About ten yards from the tent there is another structure, this one built of the red, rusty stone of the mountain. There are massive statues of dwarven warriors bearing axes and shields to either side of a cavernous entrance at the top of a large set of stairs. This is the place where your fates will be decided.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-12-04 at 11:21 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Having had a look around, Gashur looks up at the sky, to see if it is to any extent familiar. He does not expect it to be, but still... After that he walks straight to "The Hard Place". "Hi! Anybody there?"

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfClericGuy

"Where is everyone?"

Sword at the ready.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Particularly eager to get out of the blowing dust and get her bearings, Sivi moves right over to the tent and enters it.

Spoiler: Do I know ... ?
    Show
    Do I know how to get underground from here, and do I know anything about The Hard Place? Lore (Vouno) roll if appropriate: (d20+8)[24]

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Crouched from the warp, Elayne stands up and looks around. She closes her eyes for a while before turning up in front of Gashur to kiss him on the lips (if he allows it).

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spend one use of mesmerist trick to apply compel alacrity trick to herself.

If Gashur allows her to kiss him, spend one use of mesmerist trick to put meek facade trick on him.

Last edited by Yas392; 2020-12-05 at 10:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur is... surprised, to say the least. He takes Elayne for an ally and therefore does not take the action as an attack and therefore does not bite her face off as a response, but still, he thinks an explanation is in order. "Hey! What was that?!"

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Elayne just smile at the reaction.

"Just a good luck charm, dearie."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-12-05 at 09:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    She closes her eyes for a while before turning up in front of Gashur to kiss him on the lips (if he allows it).
    Inga's eyes go wide, although she tries to keep her face still. I thought they just met (?) she thinks to herself.

She then follows Sivi.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Looks like previous explorers used this as some kind of base camp." Alexos comments. "Wonder when they'll be back?" The kiss came to a surprise to him as well, but he was expecting to meet interesting people on this trip. It wouldn't be fun if everyone was as plain as he was.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Base Camp- Vouno

Spoiler: Lore Results
    Show
    The Hard Place is a combination headquarters and tavern set up by an enterprising gnome named Querk. It serves as the sole place to rest, relax, and trade treasures on this plane. Querk was a successful merchant back on the home plane, and it is said he invested every last copper he had in securing an inventory, setting up shop, and serving as the trade hub of this new world. Rumor has it that he has either made a fortune buying the relics and treasures off of the digging teams and adventurers who have braved the depths, or that he is penniless and staying on Vouno to escape his creditors. The entrance to the prison facility is the stone structure next door, specifically up the large staircase that rises with two giant dwarven statues on either side.

The weighted flap of the Hard place takes some effort to shift, but once it is pulled back it reveals something similar to a small tavern room. There are tables and chairs set up in a seemingly random arrangement, mostly unoccupied. Sitting at one table a group of armed and armored individuals are playing cards and drinking. They are comprised of a female half-orc wearing spiked platemail, a dwarf in studded leathers who considers his cards while stroking a prodigious beard, a robed figure who's hood is drawn down too far to read their features, and a halfling woman with a shock of bright pink hair. The robed figure lays their cards on the table, raising up a chorus of complaints from the others while the hooded figure begins scooping a small fortune of coins in their direction.

Behind a low bar stands a figure who is freakishly tall for a gnome at nearly five feet wearing a suit that seems to be patched together from dozens of different fabrics. He is bald, with large ears that stick out from his skull. His sharp, dark eyes flick in the direction of the door immediately, and his features split into a wide grin. "Newcomers! Welcome to the Hard Place! Your home away from home! Come on over, the first drink is on me!" He is cleaning a mug, which he absentmindedly fills from a green bottle and sets down in front of a radiantly beautiful woman. She is wearing a red silk dress with a low cut bust, and she too turns to the door. Her ears are gently pointed, and she has vibrant purple eyes below an auburn pixie cut head of hair. She smiles, waves, and stands, sauntering around the bar and through another flap to a rear section of the massive tent that is blocked off by more heavy canvas. The proprietor watches her go with a lingering glance, then returns his attention to new opportunities. "My name is Querk, the enlightened proprietor of this humble establishment. Come on in, I don't bite!" He grins again, showing off a mouth full of sharp, pointed teeth. "What can I get you all for your first drink on this new world? Tell me your names, save your stories for later, and enjoy the last free thing you'll find on this godsforsaken rock!"
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Why, thank ya, Querk," Sivi drawls while walking to the bar. "I'll take ya up on that. Gimme a Diamond Dust -- I don't know what's in it, but it must be pretty good, the way its price is rising!"

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hard Place

"Diamond dust?" He looks a little lost and dismayed. "But you just got here..." Then he smiles. "Oh. You mean the drink. One Aldebarren Diamond Dust, coming right up." He grabs a small glass and wets the rim with water from a pitcher, then removes a small clay box from under the bar and dips the glass into it, rimming it with crystals of sugar. Then he reaches to some shelves behind the bar and chooses a blue glass bottle. Pouring the clear liquid into a glass, he joins it with several more clear liquids from several more colorful bottles, stirs it with a thin metal stick, and presents the results to Sivi. "When I offer a free drink I usually hope it will be something cheaper, but whether you know what it is or not you've got good taste in cocktails." When imbibed, the drink proves very sweet and VERY strong, with hints of orange and pear with a floral scent.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfClericGuy

Inga scans the room for obvious threats and then sheathes her longsword.

"Mead, if you please." She sits next to Sivi, close enough to talk, not close enough to be awkward.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Interesting place." Alexos says, taking a seat. "I wasn't expecting an inn of all things here." He thinks a moment about the offered drink. Despite working with alcohol his whole life, Alexos himself usually doesn't drink anything stronger than a watered down wine. "You got anything special out here?" He finially asks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hello, Querk! Hello, people!" Gashur waves in the direction of the card players. "Name's Gashur. I'll have some water, with raspberry syrup and bubbles. Maybe no bubbles, if you don't have." Gashur stops for a moment as if unsure what to actually do besides moving on. He apparently was not planning on partying.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    "I wasn't expecting an inn of all things here."
    "I'm told it's a good place to rest between ventures if you've got the coin," Sivi comments to Alexos. "But I wasn't expecting a fully stocked bar, myself."

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Querk selects a mug and pours into it from a green bottle, sliding it in front of Inga. "No one expects a tavern here. It's exactly why I built one. Adventurers and archaeologists are a thirsty lot, and even the hardiest soul likes to sleep in a real bed now and again. There are also... other services available, for discerning clientele." He tilts his head at Alexos' question, then shrugs. "We're having a special on Tarkesian ale, Emorian wine, and magical ammunition. I could also make you a hell of a deal on a lightly used battle axe, but I doubt you could afford that just yet." The card players mostly ignore Gashur's call, but the solidly built half-orc woman gives him a lingering glance and a smile. Querk fills a glass from the water pitcher before adding a crimson syrup and some crystals that look like chunks of salt, sliding a fizzing concoction across to Gashur. "We're a fully stocked bar, and well reviewed inn, an understaffed brothel, and a purveyor of artifacts, magic arms and armor. The Hard Place is an all inclusive business establishment designed to meet your every need. I also appraise, process, and ship anything you find in the prison back to your patrons. For a small fee on their end, of course. I'll also buy pieces of interest myself to fund your adventures. Remember, you get twenty percent on any sale in store credit!" Querk gives a wicked smile.

There is movement from the flap heading deeper into the tent and a dwarf who is nearly shaped like a cube wearing robes appears, heads over to the bar, and takes a seat. He raises a finger, and without a word Querk pours him an ale and slides it down the bar with excellent accuracy.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

Elayne whistles at Querk's list of many functions of his building.

"A lot in one establishment. Now this is my kind of place. Very nice."

She takes a seat.

"Do you have anything strong? Strong as in very alcoholic. Or is it the diamond dust my companion requested is the strongest you have?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2020-12-08 at 11:30 PM.