New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1e Megadungeon] An Otherworldly Mountain (IC)

The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur realizes something is wrong as his picks fail to enter the lock of the first chest. They seem to be pressing against flesh, not empty space in a metal keyhole. And that is all the time the mimic needs to open it's toothy maw, but just as it is about to bring it's terrible jaws down on Gashur he attempts to give the picks one more firm shove, which causes the mimic to yelp in pain and snap it's mouth closed on the picks instead of Gashur's hands. It gives a pained shriek of rage and spits the delicate instruments back into Gashur's face before letting out a roar and preparing for a second bite. Meanwhile, a moist sound comes from the other end of the small hidden room, and another chest with a long, slobbering tongue moves into Gashur's view from the pair on the other side.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Isn't it just natural that the mimic rolled a nat 1 on it's surprise attack? Initiative is as follows (And again, we're using group initiative, so if you go before the monster you can go in any order, and after the monster has gone you can go in any order)-

Alexos- 22
    Elayne- 12
    Mimics- 11
    Gashur- 9
    Sivi- 5
    Inga-2

Because Gashur kind of went off by himself a bit, I'm going to say that it takes 1 move action to get to the zig zag room he is in if anyone moves to support him.

Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-24 at 09:50 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Elayne head perks up as a shriek echoes through the corridor.

"Oh, Gashur. What have you gotten yourself into now?"

Rushing into the room, an animated chest greets her, baring fang, stuck-out tongue drooling in droplets into the floor. Eyes widening but narrowing after, she gazes at the enemy.

Show
    Move Action: from AJ52 (starting position) to AJ54 as position on the map.

Swift Action: Hypnotic stare at the mimic on AN54; -2 to Will Saves.

Standard Action: Ready an action to use Psychic Barrage on it the moment it steps into range (15 ft from her; DC 15 Will Save or dazed for 1 round)

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) to get information on the animated chest: (1d20+6)[17]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-03-27 at 07:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexos runs in after, recoiling back when he turns the corner to see a toothy maw set inside a very angry chest. He flinches back, reactively casting a simple spell.

Show
    Casting Acid Splash (1d20+3)[13] vs Touch AC
    (1d3)[3] Acid damage

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

When the treasure chest within Elayne's sight charges forward, it's teeth grow and the corners of the box warp and move like legs. However, it finds itself undefended against Elayne's psychic assault. It stops in place after moving only five feet, seemingly pacified, even after Alexos' acid sprays across it. The mimic menacing Gashur, however, is out of sight of his allies, and slightly quicker than the half-orc this day. It lashes out again and manages to clamp his teeth down on one of Gashur's arms, then clamps it's lid down on the limb and splashes it with an adhesive that glues the green skin to the monster. The deadly chest then yanks Gashur off balance while squeezing his arm even harder.

Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Alexos' acid deals 3 damage to mimic 2, which is in view from the bedroom. It charges forward and fails a save against Elayne's ability, stopping in place and becoming dazed. Mimic 1, adjacent to Gashur, crits with it's slam attack dealing 14 damage to Gashur and establishing a grapple. This grapple can only be escaped if the adhesive is dissolved or the mimic dies. Gashur's 20 on Dungeoneering tells him that it can be dissolved with strong alcohol or a magic item known as universal solvent. As I am a benevolent DM I will say that there were a couple of bottles of dwarvish spirits in the personal belongings of the guards. On a random roll Elayne and Sivi both have a bottle on hand.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #185

AssassinGuy

Elayne turns to Sivi and touches her shoulder.

"I guess that Gashur has been attacked by a mimic which I do not know much about their capabilities other than it ambushes unsuspecting searchers. He might be in trouble. I will leave it to you check him in my stead and get him out of the sticky situation he landed himself in."

As her whisper fades, magic seeps into the rogue's form and renders her invisible.

"Hey, Gashur. Everything alright over there?"

Her voice that is higher than her usual volume echoes throughout the room. After he answers for everyone to hear, the samsaran will move out of the room.

Show
    Standard Action: Cast Vanish (invisibility; lasting 3 rounds) on Sivi.

Free Action: Talk to Gashur.

Move Action: Move to AJ50 unless it is occupied by someone. In that case, she will move to another square.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-03-27 at 09:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm glued. Will need some whiskey to break free. Or something. Also, can Inga channel some healies?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gashur is delaying a bit.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Inga moves and fires at the mimic she sees. (Next round she will heal Gashur, yes.)
    (1d20+3)[8]
    [roll]1d8+[/roll]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

"These would be my last words, in a sense. Wish me luck and bring in alcohol!"

And then you hear Gashur giving a mimic some good thrashing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I won't go for a tough grapple check that is then followed by AoO. Instead...

Swift: ranger’s focus on the northern mimic
    Free: start raging
    Full: power attack

Claw: (1d20+8)[15] for (1d6+10)[12]
    Claw: (1d20+8)[23] for (1d6+10)[16]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[22] for (1d4+10)[12]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Clinging invisibly to the wall above the melee, Sivi opens a bottle of ancient dwarven spirits and whispers "Water of life!" She splashes the contents liberally around, trying to hit all the points of contact between chest-beast and man-beast.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking a moment to steel himself, Alexos moves into the fray. He dashes right up behind Gashur and gives him a tap on the back to imbue him with a spell, causing the raging half-orc's muscles to ripple and grow even stronger than before.

Show
    Casting Bull's Strength on Gashur

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi disappears as Elayne's words carry. Inga's shot goes wide and bounces off the wall next to the mimic. When Sivi pours the dwarven spirits, it is as though they were raining down from the empty air. Gashur feels the adhesive dissolve, leaving him only trapped by the formidable strength of the mimic. Unfortunately, the mimic, savaged and bleeding a mysterious translucent fluid, attempts to leverage it's bite to bring Gashur to the ground. It almost succeeds, but the steadfast warrior surges with strength and keeps his balance. Then, with a touch from Alexos, Gashur's muscles swell even more, putting him on equal footing with the would be furniture assassin. While Gashur grapples, the remaining mimic, now unfazed, rushes forward, meaning to attack the half-orc from behind. Instead, it bumps into the invisible Sivi, but succeeds in neither sticking the undine with adhesive or bowling her over. Instead it retreats back a few steps, clearly confused by the invisible impediment.

Show
    Gashur deals massive damage to the mimic grappling him. Sivi dissolves the adhesive with strong alcohol, then avoids getting blindly grappled by the second mimic. Alexos buffs Gashur. Inga misses, and Elayne's spell goes off without a hitch. Gashur's mimic attempts to pin him but fails.
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

"Stand your ground and do not attack, oh my unseen benefactor!"

Gashur keeps fighting, hoping to get done with the first mimic and do some harm to the second.

Spoiler
    Show
    The attacks are against the first mimic until it is down, then at the second mimic. The maths differ, so I'm rolling one for the first mimic and two for the second, but they all go against the first mimic until it's down.

Claw: (1d20+10)[14] for (1d6+12)[18]
    Claw: (1d20+10)[12] for (1d6+10)[16]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[25] for (1d4+10)[14]

The cover is not accounted for, but will affect mimic's AC.

13. - Top - End - #193

DwarfClericGuy

The idea of someone biting a mimic cracks me up.

14. - Top - End - #194

AssassinGuy

Elayne looks at the room and raises an eyebrow at the absence of her group that is not with her as she sees them still in the room.

"Alexos, Inga. When you are done using the bed, can you step off? I want to use it as elevation."

Show
    Withholding action at the moment and using free action to talk.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-04-02 at 08:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

The mimic, unable to contain Gashur's fury without it's adhesive, falls under his savage assault. Chunks of the shapeshifter splatter the walls and fill Gashur's mouth. In his fury, he turns and claws the mimic boggled by Sivi as well, eliciting a pig like squeal from the surviving mimic.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, one moment." Alexos says as he casts one more spell with a wild grin before retreating back into the safety of the hall he had first came from. His heart was racing, this was the first time he'd casted offensive against actual combatants.

Show
    Casting Acid Splash again before stepping back out of the room
    (1d20+3)[14] vs touch ac
    (1d3)[3] acid damage

17. - Top - End - #197

AssassinGuy

As soon as she sees Alexos out of the room, Elayne moves, giving him a sideway glance as she passes him.

"You do not need to step out of the room. I am thinking if we can alternate our places and attacks."

She reaches where Alexos once stand and with higher elevation, she stares at the mimic, drops her spirits on the bed and shoots at the mimic.

Show
    Move action: Move to AK54 which is vacant from Alexos retreat.

Swift Action: Hypnotic Stare; -2 to Mimic's Will Saving Throws.

Standard Action: Shoots a bolt at mimic.

Crossbow Attack vs Mimic: (1d20+6)[20]

Damage: (1d4)[1]

Free Action: Talk and drop spirits on bed adjacent to Sivi.

18. - Top - End - #198

DwarfClericGuy

Inga casts CLW and then moves to try and touch Gashur's shoulder. "Stay in the fight, big man!"

(1d8+3)[11]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi flows up the wall and overtop the mimic. She searches for a nice, delicate spot to drive home her dagger.

Spoiler: mechanics 'n' commentary
    Show
    Not tumbling to avoid AoOs, since I'm still invisible. Moving to flanking position with Gashur (from AL54 to AN55 on the googledoc), then stabstabstabbing. (d20+11)[21] to hit flatfooted AC for (d4)[2] + (d6+5)[6] slashing. Reflex save vs stuck weapon: [roll]d20+7[roll].

Naturally, my invisiblity drops after the attack. I'm now in a tough position for allies to reach, but I'm hoping to make enough of a difference via damage that I won't need much help personally. Poor choice? Perhaps, but Sivi doesn't know enough about mimics to judge that.

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

Alexos' spell, Elayne's bolt, and Sivi's blade all further damage the mimic, which howls and slobbers in pain from the multitude of blows. It leaps at Sivi and leaps up with surprising agility, clamping down on the undine with malicious intent and clamping down on her weapon arm with such fierceness that blood begins to immediately flow down Sivi's arm in a warm rush.

Show
    Sivi is crit for 18 damage and becomes grappled by the adhesive. That is all. Feel free to destroy the monster now
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur steps out from around the corner and tries to get the mimic down before it further hurts anyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Claw: (1d20+10)[13] for (1d6+10)[11] ref (1d20+4)[17]
    Claw: (1d20+10)[24] for (1d6+10)[16] ref (1d20+4)[24]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[20] for (1d4+10)[13] ref (1d20+4)[23]

22. - Top - End - #202

AssassinGuy

As Gashur unloads himself at the mimic who gave Sivi a grievous wound and endure them, Elayne takes the opportunity to trigger the "good luck" charm she bestow on him, directing its attention to him and boosting the barbarian's agility to dodge blows. She reloads he crossbow and shoots another bolt at the creature before stepping aside to the corner, still staring at the mimic.

Show
    Free Action in response to Gashur's missed attack: Trigger implanted Meek Facade trick on Gashur, giving him +2 dodge bonus to AC and taunting the mimic to attack him for 1 turn.

Move action: Reload crossbow.

Standard Action: Shoot mimic.

5 ft step to AK53.

Swift action: Maintain hypnotic stare on mimic; -2 to will saves.

Crossbow Attack vs Mimic: (1d20+7)[21]

Damage: (1d4)[4]

23. - Top - End - #203

DwarfClericGuy

"Sivi! No! That looked bad! Freya, guide my hand and save their mortal flesh!"

Spoiler: Healing for Friends, not Mimics
    Show
    Channel Positive Energy, Selective Channel to leave out the mimics.
    (2d6)[8]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexos's heart leaps as he sees blood flow. He casts again, hoping to kill the creature before it can do any more harm.

Show
    Acid Splash (1d20+3)[15] vs touch ac
    (1d3)[2] acid damage

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Sivi babbles something indistinct and worried-sounding

Spoiler: babble
    Show
    A mashup of a gurgling gasp, "You can't have that! I need it!" in Aquan, and "Oh gods, I need help" in Common.

while doing her best to strike at the enraged furniture.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Losing some Dexterity to the grapple definitely hurts my offense, but here goes ... (d20+5)[25] to hit, (d4+3)[5] damage, Reflex (d20+5)[14] to avoid weapon stuckness.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur's renewed assault heavily damages the mimic, sending a fresh splash of ichor across the walls. But the monster still lives. It isn't until Sivi turns her blade in the creature's maw and jams it downward that the creature begins it's death throes. Alexos' acid, weak as it is, is what finally slays the lethal furniture. The "chest" seems to lose cohesion and begin to slowly melt. Though there is no more life in this aberration, Sivi is still held captive by it's sticky fluids, and now her dagger is lodged deep inside it.

Show
    480 xp apiece. Good fight all.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #207

AssassinGuy

Elayne breathes in relieve as the mimic melts down into a puddle.

"I need a drink."

She uncorked the spirits and slants the bottle a bit, taking a bit of the alcohol with a sip.

"Gashur, next time can you inform the rest of us not with you your whereabouts and intention before you run off somewhere? My "good luck" charm does not work if I am not in proximity of you. Keep that in mind. Now, Sivi, do you need help getting your weapon and yourself unstuck? Or are you fine without?"

28. - Top - End - #208

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Elayne breathes in relieve as the mimic melts down into a puddle.

"I need a drink."
    "Ha! Spirits for the spirited! She makes a good point, though..."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, I told you. I mean, exactly before." Gashur shrugs. He then takes some time to reast and breathe. "I think the mimic glue is not lasting, so you should be able to get yourself free sometime soon. Better than me prying you out." While he rests, Gashur takes some time to spit out the glue and, when it turns brittle, remove it from his hands and things. "How about we loot the real chests and then call it a day?"

30. - Top - End - #210

AssassinGuy

Elayne corks the bottle and puts it away along with their loot. Gashur's comment of glue becoming brittle after the mimic's death causes her jot down the information of the mimic in her journal she takes out on top of updating their progress with her prestidigitation. Closing the book and stowing it away, the robed female walks to the stuck female undine and extend her hand to pull her up. She also offers Sivi to help her pull out her weapon from the degrading glue.

"Interesting..."

Once those unstuck rejoin the rest of the group, Elayne shrugs.

"Sounds good to me. It is a good checkpoint. We do not want to greed and suffer the same fate as those dwell too long in these depths. I also want to go back so I can get some vials anyways. Before we check the last chest and go back, I have a question for all of you. What boons do you like the most? The ability to attract an enemy's attention to you or step out of an enemy's reach."