New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default summon + mind control = slas with costly components?

Quote Originally Posted by summon
    When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.
    since it refuses instead of being incapable, would something like suggestion be able to force the creature to use slas that would cost xp if they were spells?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: summon + mind control = slas with costly components?

Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    since it refuses instead of being incapable, would something like suggestion be able to force the creature to use slas that would cost xp if they were spells?
    It seems possible. As long it's not against core beliefs or alignments or in the green zone
    All hail Jazath, Creator and Administrator of The Borg. They will bring order to this chaotic omniverse and impose their absolute will upon all creation.
    Those who stand in the way of Jazath and his Borg will be dealt with violently and efficiently.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

I present Jazath and his Borg

A wise man once said "To be insane in an insane world is to be a DM!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that it falls under the "obviously self destructive" clause of dominate. Just as you can't order a fighter to slit their throat, you can't order a creature to give up their experience for another creature. If it is something not against their nature and for their benefit, I could see it working though.

As Omega said, suggestion might work if it is convincing enough. The only issue is communication.
    Last edited by Darg; 2020-12-03 at 10:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    I believe that it falls under the "obviously self destructive" clause of dominate. Just as you can't order a fighter to slit their throat, you can't order a creature to give up their experience for another creature. If it is something not against their nature and for their benefit, I could see it working though.

As Omega said, suggestion might work if it is convincing enough. The only issue is communication.
    suggestion is stronger than dominate because you can force creatures to jump into a pool of acid. dominate cant. it just gotta be worded in a way that is convincing.

i was talking about slas that mimic spells that cost xp. since slas dont cost xp the summoned creature wont lose xp for casting the sla.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Spell like abilities costs no experience unless granted by some specific prcs.
    So the summon is not harming itself by using its slas.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a big difference between giving up XP (a renewable resource) and taking your own life (possibly a finite resource) for no good reason. It's "obviously self destructive", not "obviously inconvenient", "obviously has some negative impacts on you" or "POSSIBLY self destructive". Mind controlled creatures can be made to fight for you, even against their allies. They can be made to expend resources (such as spells) for your benefit. They can be made to hand over items or reveal sensitive information. Using an ability that's innate to you, even with a minor cost, is not obviously self destructive. Now, using it over and over until you're at 0 exp could be considered obviously self destructive, but using it once? Probably not.

I find a good guideline for what is "obviously self destructive" or "against your nature" is things you would refuse to do if you had a gun to your head. You probably wouldn't slit your own throat, a devout priest probably wouldn't blaspheme (then again, "the atonement spell exist for a reason") - fighting your own allies is a bit iffy for loyal people ("Maybe if I use non-lethal force...") Sacrificing a bit of XP seem pretty minor, all things considered. There's no RAW support for this interpretation (that I know of), it's just one way to interpret the "obviously self destructive" wording.
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

suggestion is stronger than dominate because you can force creatures to jump into a pool of acid. dominate cant. it just gotta be worded in a way that is convincing.

i was talking about slas that mimic spells that cost xp. since slas dont cost xp the summoned creature wont lose xp for casting the sla.
    Maybe if the acid looks like water? I can't say that a 2nd level spell would actually be that effective with only 1-2 sentences to use.

I misread your OP and thought you were trying to force them into giving up their xp, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    There is a big difference between giving up XP (a renewable resource) and taking your own life (possibly a finite resource) for no good reason. It's "obviously self destructive", not "obviously inconvenient", "obviously has some negative impacts on you" or "POSSIBLY self destructive". Mind controlled creatures can be made to fight for you, even against their allies. They can be made to expend resources (such as spells) for your benefit. They can be made to hand over items or reveal sensitive information. Using an ability that's innate to you, even with a minor cost, is not obviously self destructive. Now, using it over and over until you're at 0 exp could be considered obviously self destructive, but using it once? Probably not.

I find a good guideline for what is "obviously self destructive" or "against your nature" is things you would refuse to do if you had a gun to your head. You probably wouldn't slit your own throat, a devout priest probably wouldn't blaspheme (then again, "the atonement spell exist for a reason") - fighting your own allies is a bit iffy for loyal people ("Maybe if I use non-lethal force...") Sacrificing a bit of XP seem pretty minor, all things considered. There's no RAW support for this interpretation (that I know of), it's just one way to interpret the "obviously self destructive" wording.
    Hit Points are an abstract renewable resource just like experience. Thinking about it though, my example was a little extreme and more similar to level draining ones self. Though at the end of the day, if you lose too much of either you die.
    Last edited by Darg; 2020-12-03 at 06:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The line is clearly a balance rule, so I would say attempts to subvert it are met with equal lack of success.

Dominate can get a creature to jump into a pool of acid if the creature thinks it's water, because it doesn't realize it's a self destructive act: "Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out." So in that regard, it's on par with suggestion.
    Last edited by Crake; 2020-12-03 at 06:28 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    The line is clearly a balance rule, so I would say attempts to subvert it are met with equal lack of success.
    That's definitely how I'd rule it in my games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hit Points are an abstract renewable resource just like experience. Thinking about it though, my example was a little extreme and more similar to level draining ones self. Though at the end of the day, if you lose too much of either you die.
    I agree with you on the HP/XP comparison - having dominated creatures fight for you (which frequently involves losing HP and comes with a risk of losing all of them) is usually a reasonable use of domination, so I figure something which involves some loss of XP would be as well. Something which obviously involves losing ALL your HP or XP probably wouldn't be. Allowing yourself to get drained once by a vampire: possibly. Throwing yourself into a pit full of wights: taking it too far.
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    I agree with you on the HP/XP comparison - having dominated creatures fight for you (which frequently involves losing HP and comes with a risk of losing all of them) is usually a reasonable use of domination, so I figure something which involves some loss of XP would be as well. Something which obviously involves losing ALL your HP or XP probably wouldn't be. Allowing yourself to get drained once by a vampire: possibly. Throwing yourself into a pit full of wights: taking it too far.
    Except xp loss can't be healed, while HP loss can be. There is a wizards article on NPCs and xp expenditure, and it states that NPCs can never be magically coerced into spending xp, it HAS to be a willfully done thing.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.