New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I assume its a spider person because it has a class?
    Yep! "Spider Indiana Jones," was pretty much the mission of the design. I even added the Lorehold watermark, since that had just the right intersection of Archaeology and Unusual Animal People.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

I could see a nature shade being mono g but having red in it makes me think the name should be slightly different or have some sore of red effect, +2/+1, trample or something.
    Lol, I made it RG, then changed it to mono green because it fit better mechanically. Then I came back a day later and realised it had to be 2 colour. I also was too attached with trying to copy the original Frozen Shade.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #723
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, Tom the Mime, are we getting a new prompt?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, initially saw the Spindiana Jones win and didn't see the change.

Make a card that interacts with lands somehow.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Psychic Diaspora 1UB
    Sorcery U
    Return target land to its owner’s hand, then that player discards a card.
    If you don't remember where you're from, you can't remember where you're going.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyromantic Fracking - 1RR
    Sorcery - R
    Destroy target land. Its controller creates 3 treasure tokens.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Blight Spreader 3B
    Creature - Zombie Druid R
    When Blight Spreader enters the battlefield, sacrifice a land and draw a card.
    When Blight Spreader deals combat damage to a player, they sacrifice a land and draw a card.
    3/4
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Going in Circles WWWW
    Enchantment R
    If a land would untap, its controller may instead exile it and return it to the battlefield at the beginning of their next end step. If they don't, put a mark counter on it.
    All lands have "Creatures you control can't attack as long as there's a mark counter on this land."
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2022-07-30 at 10:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #729

Aurora Elf G
    Creature - Elf Druid U
    T: Untap target Plains, Island, Swamp, or Mountain.
    1/1
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

10. - Top - End - #730

ElfMonkGuy

Enclosure Act 1W
    Enchantment- Aura (U)
    Enchant land an opponent controls
    Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, create a Treasure token.

Intent here is for Enclosure Act's caster to create the Treasure, I always get a bit confused on wording when it comes to enchanting your opponents' stuff.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Intent here is for Enclosure Act's caster to create the Treasure, I always get a bit confused on wording when it comes to enchanting your opponents' stuff.
    You worded it correctly; the aura's owner gains the Treasure.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tectonic Takedown 1RR
    Sorcery U
    Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature or planeswalker you don't control.

Destroy target land if its controller controls 4 or more lands.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

13. - Top - End - #733

GnomeWizardGuy

Nurturing Garden 3G
    Enchantment - R
    Enchant Land you Control
    When ~ Enters the battlefield choose a creature type and and a colour of mana enchanted land could produce.
    Enchanted land does not untap during it's controllers untap step.
    Spells of the chosen type you cast cost 1 mana of the chosen colour less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of coloured mana you pay.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    Nurturing Garden 3G
    Enchantment - R
    Enchant Land you Control
    When ~ Enters the battlefield choose a creature type and and a colour of mana enchanted land could produce.
    Enchanted land does not untap during it's controllers untap step.
    Spells of the chosen type you cast cost 1 mana of the chosen colour less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of coloured mana you pay.
    This doesn't seem good at all. You're losing out on 1 mana per turn given it's not untapping so you need to play multiple creatures of the same type each turn to come out ahead and you need to do that a lot and quickly to make this worth playing. So you want lots of low cost creatures and this costing 4 mana seems to run against that plan.

Tectonic Takedown 1RR
    Sorcery U
    Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature or planeswalker you don't control.

Destroy target land if its controller controls 4 or more lands.
    Fairly straightforward damage spell with a neat land destruction twist, specifically made to be annoying but not crippling. Nice

Enclosure Act 1W
    Enchantment- Aura (U)
    Enchant land an opponent controls
    Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, create a Treasure token.

It's not expensive but it doesn't feel like it does enough to make it worth playing. If someone is playing on curve, it's generally a price well worth playing. If they're not, they can just ignore it. Can't help but compare it to smothering tithe which ends up having a similar effect but is much less avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Aurora Elf G
    Creature - Elf Druid U
    T: Untap target Plains, Island, Swamp, or Mountain.
    1/1
    Nice mix of arbor elf and something like noble hierarch and the cost works because it doesn't let you produce a colour you haven't already played and there's a decent chance it might not be usable the net turn if you drop it T1.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Going in Circles WWWW
    Enchantment R
    If a land would untap, its controller may instead exile it and return it to the battlefield at the beginning of their next end step. If they don't, put a mark counter on it.
    All lands have "Creatures you control can't attack as long as there's a mark counter on this land."
    The end result seems interesting but it feels like it's taken a very convoluted route to get there. Which I guess kinda fits given the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Blight Spreader 3B
    Creature - Zombie Druid R
    When Blight Spreader enters the battlefield, sacrifice a land and draw a card.
    When Blight Spreader deals combat damage to a player, they sacrifice a land and draw a card.
    3/4
    Hard to judge, very much a golgari card where if you have the ramp, you can weather the land sacrifice and get a draw and it can make life very difficult for your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Psychic Diaspora 1UB
    Sorcery U
    Return target land to its owner’s hand, then that player discards a card.
    If you don't remember where you're from, you can't remember where you're going.
    Land destruction that doesn't replace the land tends to cost 3.5 (4 and you get a minor effect) so at 3 and choosing whether or not you discard the land works from that aspect. A bit concerned about the tempo when youu cast it on play though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Pyromantic Fracking - 1RR
    Sorcery - R
    Destroy target land. Its controller creates 3 treasure tokens.
    Another 3 mana land destruction but this time your opponent can gain tempo with the treasure tokens so this is more squarely aimed at utility lands. Could also gives some interesting ramp in decks where graveyard land recursion is a thing although it wouldn't be at its best there.

Winner: personification with Aurora elf

15. - Top - End - #735

They always go for the uncommon nostalgia bait. That's why MH sells so well.

Anyway, it's back to school season around now, so make me a card for Stryxhaven 2: Sophomore Year.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Academic Priorities 1
    Sorcery - Lesson R
    Choose an opponent. That player chooses a color. Each player then may search their library for a card of the chosen color, reveal it, then shuffle and put that card on top of their libraries.
    They say that two paths diverge in the library and every student needs to make a choice - what they don't say is that some choices are made for you.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2022-08-08 at 11:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Curse of Education BBB
    Enchantment - Aura Curse R
    Enchant player
    At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, they lose the game unless they sacrifice a Treasure or gain a credit counter.
    Enchanted player can't win the game if they have one or more credit counters.
    2: Remove a credit counter from enchanted player. Activate only with colored mana. Any player may activate this ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abrasive Bully 1RR
    Creature- Dwarf Shaman R
    Menace
    Magecraft- Whenever you cast or copy a instant or sorcery spell each opponent chooses one-
    • Abrasive Bully deals 2 damage to you.
    • Discard a card, if you can't Abrasive Bully's controller draws a card.
    • Tap an untapped land you control, Abrasive Bully's controller creates a treasure token.
    3/1

Give it to me!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-08-09 at 02:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #739

ElfMonkGuy

Necrofury Eruption 2BR
    Sorcery (U)
    Choose one:
    • Mill 3 cards, then Necrofury Eruption deals damage equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard to any target.
    • Up to three target creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn. Those creatures can't block this turn.

Spoiler: Explanation for ally colors in Strixhaven
    Show

So, Strixhaven is an enemy-pair set and plane in general. In draft, however, you can often end up drafting wedges, since that lets you get two of the schools. I could imagine a single cycle of ally-colored cards like this to help provide a bit of glue for this wedge theme in draft. This is meant to be the Mardu glue by synergizing with both Lorehold (graveyard synergy through the milling) and Silverquill (Aggro synergy by getting rid of blockers)
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2022-08-10 at 03:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

School of Hard Knocks
    Land R
    T: Add C
    W, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature that has been dealt damage this turn.

Also considered a Lecture Hall land, tapping for colourless or learning for around 1UR but, other than good flavour, it winds up way too close to Desolate Lighthouse and that's a pretty recent card.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2022-08-14 at 08:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #741

Spoiler: mystic1110's Tutoring Agency
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Academic Priorities 1
    Sorcery - Lesson R
    Choose an opponent. That player chooses a color. Each player then may search their library for a card of the chosen color, reveal it, then shuffle and put that card on top of their libraries.
    They say that two paths diverge in the library and every student needs to make a choice - what they don't say is that some choices are made for you.
    I have no idea how to evaluate this card. It feels like it's designed for a format where you can be reliably playing lots of colors, which generally means something casual like commander, but commander has no lesson plans. I guess the idea is that in constructed or limited you only learn it if you know your opponent is playing the same colors as you, but it still feels too uncontrollable. They make all of the decisions, and therefore they get all of the benefit. I'd love to force my opponent to cast this, but I don't think I ever would.

Spoiler: ben-zayb's Student Debt
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Curse of Education BBB
    Enchantment - Aura Curse R
    Enchant player
    At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, they lose the game unless they sacrifice a Treasure or gain a credit counter.
    Enchanted player can't win the game if they have one or more credit counters.
    2: Remove a credit counter from enchanted player. Activate only with colored mana. Any player may activate this ability.
    This card might not actually work. The card doesn't stop your opponents from losing, and according to rule 104.2a if you are the only player remaining in the game you immediately win, even if an effect would prevent that. If we add the opponents can't lose clause, this is fixed, but I still don't know if I would ever want to play with or against this card.

Spoiler: Quiddle's Big Meanie
    Show
    Abrasive Bully 1RR
    Creature- Dwarf Shaman R
    Menace
    Magecraft- Whenever you cast or copy a instant or sorcery spell each opponent chooses one-
    • Abrasive Bully deals 2 damage to you.
    • Discard a card, if you can't Abrasive Bully's controller draws a card.
    • Tap an untapped land you control, Abrasive Bully's controller creates a treasure token.
    3/1

Give it to me!
    I like the concept, but the second and third modes are breaks, or at least heavy bends. You can argue that because it is a browbeat it's ok, but I still feel weird giving forced discard (other than wheels) and mana theft to red.

Spoiler: mythmonster2's Dead Volcano
    Show
    Necrofury Eruption 2BR
    Sorcery (U)
    Choose one:
    • Mill 3 cards, then Necrofury Eruption deals damage equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard to any target.
    • Up to three target creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn. Those creatures can't block this turn.

Spoiler: Explanation for ally colors in Strixhaven
    Show

So, Strixhaven is an enemy-pair set and plane in general. In draft, however, you can often end up drafting wedges, since that lets you get two of the schools. I could imagine a single cycle of ally-colored cards like this to help provide a bit of glue for this wedge theme in draft. This is meant to be the Mardu glue by synergizing with both Lorehold (graveyard synergy through the milling) and Silverquill (Aggro synergy by getting rid of blockers)
    I think the design is fine, an OK medium-power piece of uncommon removal, but I kind of disagree with your reasoning on its place in the set. Yes, people do sometimes end up in wedges in enemy-color drafts, but it isn't the goal and shouldn't be something they are pushed into. The glue comes with monocolor cards that go in multiple decks. This, I feel, would have the opposite effect, pushing people into wedges instead of guilds and weakening the guild themes. It would also be something of a trap. Gold uncommons are generally signposts in draft, they tell you what is viable and what the archetypes are. If I see this, I'm going to assume that there is a viable allied color deck, which might mess up my draft as I lose out on the actual archetypes.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime's That Military School Quintorius Got Expelled From
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    School of Hard Knocks
    Land R
    T: Add C
    W, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature that has been dealt damage this turn.

Also considered a Lecture Hall land, tapping for colourless or learning for around 1UR but, other than good flavour, it winds up way too close to Desolate Lighthouse and that's a pretty recent card.
    I like this as a twist on the Hall of Oracles. The lack of a filter and the cost on the ability is balanced by the ability to play it at instant speed. I don't love the name, but it works well enough and that's my only huge complaint.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Tom the Mime's School of Hard Knocks

22. - Top - End - #742
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The name is probably more of a playtest name - never played any Strixhaven stuff so I went with school more than tone.

Made the challeneg before this one so open floor to set the challenge.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

New challenge: Make a Dragon.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Alchemical Dragon - 7
    Tribal Artifact - Dragon Vehicle U
    Flying, Crew 2
    Whenever Alchemical Dragon is crewed, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
    5/7
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2022-08-27 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jakiro, the Freezing Flame 2UR
    <A two-headded dragon, one breathes fire and the other ice>
    Legendary Creature - Dragon M
    Flying
    When Jakiro, the Freezing Flame attacks tap target creature and put a stun counter on it.
    At the end of the turn Jakiro, the Freezing Flame deals 2 damage to each other tapped creature.
    3/4

Spoiler: other cards
    Show
    Build-a-Dragon 1R
    Artifact Creature - Dragon U
    1: ~ gets +1/+0 until the end of the turn.
    2:~ becomes a 4/4.
    3:Put a flying counter on ~.
    Some assembly required.
    2/2
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-08-27 at 08:43 AM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

26. - Top - End - #746

I don't know why they would do this MB, but it is what came into my head. Also, I am doing the much better known movie versions, bot the characters from the very different books. Also, ignore the existence of colossal hammer please.

Toothless, the Nightfury 1WRR
    Legendary Creature - Dragon (M)
    Flying, haste, first strike, enlist.
    As ~ enlists a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. (This happens before that creature's power is added to ~'s power.)
    Partner with Hiccup, Compassionate Genius.
    3/1
    [MB stamp]

Hiccup, Compassionate Genius 1UR
    Legendary Creature - Human Barbarian Artificer (M)
    Defender
    Other modified creatures you control have ward x and +0/+x where x is ~'s toughness.
    Whenever a creature you control with defender is enlisted, search tour library for an equipment card with mana value equal to its power and put it onto the battlefield attached to the enlisting creature, then shuffle.
    Partner with Toothless, the Nightfury.
    0/2
    [MB stamp]
    Last edited by Personification; 2022-08-28 at 08:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

Draconic Storyteller 3RW
    Creature - Dragon R
    Flying
    When Draconic Storyteller enters the battlefield, search your library for Saga card with a converted mana cost equal or less than Draconic Storyteller's power and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
    Whenever Draconic Storyteller becomes blocked, you may untap Draconic Storyteller and remove it from combat, if you do search your library for Saga card with a converted mana cost equal or less than Draconic Storyteller's power and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
    Stories are just fires that burn your imagination.
    4/4
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2022-08-26 at 03:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Toothless, the Nightfurt 1WRR
    What does "enlist" do?

29. - Top - End - #749

GnomeWizardGuy

Greedy Dragon 3R
    Creature - Dragon U
    Flying
    When ~ enters the battlefield create a treasure token (It's an artifact with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
    At the beginning of each upkeep the player who controls the most treasure tokens gains control of ~
    5/3

30. - Top - End - #750
    Dwarf in the Playground

Enlist (As this creature attacks, you may tap a nonattacking creature you control without summoning sickness. When you do, add its power to this creature's until end of turn.)