New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Doomed Lovers 1WB
    Enchantment R
    When ~ enters the battlefiled put lover counters on 2 creatures. Creatures with lover counters get +1/+1.
    When a creature with a lover counter leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the controler of each creature with a lovers counter sacrifices it.
    Their love makes them stronger, it also spells their doom.
    Last edited by somethingrandom; 2020-12-18 at 05:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Saga of the Champion 1WW
    Enchantment - Saga R
    [I] Put a hero counter on target creature you control. It gets +1/+1, trample, vigilance, and lifelink.
    [II] Exile target enchantment or creature an opponent controls.
    [III] Sacrifice all permanents you control with hero counters.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    Also, I totally get that reference. Without spoiling the show, man I still hate his guts.
    Glad you got it and yeah - **** that guy

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vicious Backstabbing 3UUB
    Sorcery R
    Destroy target creature. Gain control of target creature controlled by the same player.
    "I never really liked you, anyway."
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-12-14 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Probably should be rare.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Sorcery R
    Destroy target creature. Gain control of target creature controlled by the same player.
    Just so you know, you can't cast this with fewer than two targets. That might be intentional, though.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Coute que Coute 2BB
    [Two figures falling off a tall roof-one looking terrified, and the other incoherent with anger with their hands at the first's throat.]
    Enchantment U
    Discard two cards: Choose an opponent. They discard a card.
    Pay 2 life: Choose an opponent. They lose a life
    Sacrifice two permanents that share a type: Choose a card an opponent controls that shares a type with the sacrificed permanents. Send it to their graveyard.
    "Doesn't matter what happens to me, long as they get what's coming."
    -Yarrick Dell, Amalgamation of Vengeance
    The wordings for these abilities are very unusual. I assume for the most part this is intentionally avoiding the use of the word "target" for some reason (getting around hexproof and protection, etc.). "Send it to the graveyard," though, isn't really a thing. Is it destroyed? Does its controller sacrifice it? It should also say "choose a permanent an opponent controls" since that's what cards are called on the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    Dark Teacher's Tragedy 2BB
    (A shadowed chamber with an imperious-looking scholarly figure on a throne... with a knife sticking through him from a rising half-dead figure above.)
    Enchantment - Aura (R)
    Enchant Creature you Control
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Sacrifice enchanted creature at the end of your turn.
    Ironic... he could save others from death, but not himself.
    - Unnamed Apprentice
    This is a permanent; it has to spell out when you do the ability. I assume it's supposed to be when it enters the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom
    Doomed Lovers 1WB
    Enchantment
    When ~ enters the battlefiled choose 2 creatures. Those creatures each get +1/+1.
    When either creature leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the other's controler sacrifices it.
    They get +1/+1, like, forever? Might I recommend using +1/+1 counters then? Or some other type of counter so as to designate the two destiny bonded creatures, then an ability giving them +1/+1? That could help with potential memory issues. Also, the card is missing a rarity.
    Last edited by Misothene; 2020-12-17 at 09:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Tragedy of Love 1R
    Enchantment - Saga
    I: Two target creatures each get +2/+0 and gain double strike for as long as you control Tragedy of Love.
    II: Creatures you control attack this turn if able. Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, it deals 1 damage to each player.
    III: Choose a creature you control. Sacrifice the rest.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    The wordings for these abilities are very unusual. I assume for the most part this is intentionally avoiding the use of the word "target" for some reason (getting around hexproof and protection, etc.). "Send it to the graveyard," though, isn't really a thing. Is it destroyed? Does its controller sacrifice it? It should also say "choose a permanent an opponent controls" since that's what cards are called on the battlefield.
    1. You're correct in that the assumption for the incredibly wierd wording. If you're gonna have to 2-for-one yourself, it should definitely stick, so I tried to make typical defenses not work.
    2. It's 'sent to the graveyard' to get around indestructible and effects like Tejuru Preserver. They do die (by definition), but they are not destroyed or sacrificed.

Thanks for pointing that one out, though. I now realize that more standard terminology would be to put it into the graveyard (al la corpse connoisseur Blightsteel, Haunt, and Gravestorm), instead of send it to the graveyard.

9. - Top - End - #39

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post

This is a permanent; it has to spell out when you do the ability. I assume it's supposed to be when it enters the battlefield.

They get +1/+1, like, forever? Might I recommend using +1/+1 counters then? Or some other type of counter so as to designate the two destiny bonded creatures, then an ability giving them +1/+1? That could help with potential memory issues. Also, the card is missing a rarity.
    Good points edited.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Bold Aerobat 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier C
    Flying
    When Bold Aerobat attacks or blocks, transform it at the end of combat.
    3/3

///

Crippled Instructor
    Creature - Bird Advisor
    Creatures you control with Flying get +1/+0.
    Crippled Instructor can't attack unless it has Flying.
    2/3
    Last edited by Bucky; 2020-12-18 at 11:45 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

judging will be up later today
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Kapow's Terminal Disease
    Show

Incurable Cancer 2B
    Enchantment - Saga U
    [A human lying in bed - obviously sick - surrounded by family]
    (As this Saga enters and after your draw step add a lore counter. Sacrifice after IV)
    I - Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
    II & III- Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
    IV - Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
    "Because there is no glory in illness. There is no meaning to it. There is no honor in dying of." - John Green

I feel like thematically cancer feels like a more modern disease. The restriction on parts 2&3 I think make this saga a little weak for 3 mana. This card does a good job of having a single creature wither away and the mechanics nicely tell the story.

Spoiler: Tom's In Fair Verona
    Show

Star-crossed lovers 2R
    Enchantment - Saga U
    I: Put a lover counter on target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Gain control of these creatures and they gain haste until the end of the turn.
    II-III: Sacrifice a creature with a lover counter

This is a very interesting act of treason, my only gripe is that I think this card would be a little hard to decipher for someone show doesn't know R&J.

Spoiler: Mystic's Monster
    Show

Familial Chimera WB
    Creature - Human Chimera Horror R
    As an additional cost to cast Familial Chimera exile a human from your graveyard and exile a human you control from the battlefield.
    Familial Chimera has protection from creatures with first strike if any of the creatures exiled by it have first strike. The same is true for flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, skulk, trample, and vigilance.
    5/5

While the card is while black - and well costed - I feel like the flavor of this card is more UB. This is a creative take on a chimera monster, I like the perversion of white keywords matter. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a fma reference though.

Spoiler: Mythmonster's Big Mad
    Show

Vengeful Rage R
    Enchantment- Aura (C)
    Enchant creature
    When Vengeful Rage enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and must attack each turn if able.

I like this card a lot, I think it is a really interesting common and its sweet that it can be played in a bunch of different ways. However seeking vengeance doesn't feel super tragic to me, I wish we could see more of the enchanted creature's emotional pain somehow. Cool card!

Spoiler: Necroticplauge's Both go down together
    Show

Coute que Coute 2BB
    [Two figures falling off a tall roof-one looking terrified, and the other incoherent with anger with their hands at the first's throat.]
    Enchantment U
    Discard two cards: Choose an opponent. They discard a card.
    Pay 2 life: Choose an opponent. They lose a life
    Sacrifice two permanents that share a type: Choose a permanent an opponent controls that shares a type with the sacrificed permanents. Put it into their graveyard.
    "Doesn't matter what happens to me, long as they get what's coming."
    -Yarrick Dell, Amalgamation of Vengeance

This is an interesting effect that makes me want to try to build some kind of engine. I think it is an interesting choice to have the choose X instead of target X. Also I think the last ability should just say destroy.

Spoiler: benzayb's Exile
    Show

Llewellyn, the Forsaken 2UU
    Legendary Creature - Human Child R
    At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they create a 0/1 colorless Human Child creature token with cumulative upkeep—Mill 1.
    U: Gain control of target Child token for as long as it has three or less age counters on it.
    Child creatures you control get +1/+1 and have flying.
    1/2

Llewellyn sounds like an elvish name to me. This card is really cool. I love how you play with age counters but worry that this might be a too powerful self mill engine. Being a 2/3 flyer for 4 + activation makes it fair though.

Spoiler: +5 vorpal's Dew it
    Show

Dark Teacher's Tragedy 2BB
    (A shadowed chamber with an imperious-looking scholarly figure on a throne... with a knife sticking through him from a rising half-dead figure above.)
    Enchantment - Aura (R)
    Enchant Creature you Control
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Sacrifice enchanted creature at the end of your turn.
    Ironic... he could save others from death, but not himself.
    - Unnamed Apprentice

Probably should say When ~ enters the battlefield return yada yada. I miss read the effect the first several times but the way this works is cool. I think that this could probably cost 3 mana safely. Neat card!

Spoiler: Dr Guns's Scorpion
    Show

Scorpion's Betrayal - 1B
    A big green turtle looks over their shoulder to check on their little friend as they ferry it across the river.
    Instant - C
    Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a tapped 1/1 black Scorpion creature token with deathtouch.
    "I thought the story was that the scorpion dies, too?"
    "Sure; it dies when its owner loses the game."
    "What if they win anyway, though?"
    "Then the story gets more interesting."

This is an okay kill spell, its fun how you play with the story of the turtle and scorp :). I think that with this effect though it could cost B.

Spoiler: somethingrandom's lovers
    Show

Doomed Lovers 1WB
    Enchantment R
    When ~ enters the battlefiled put lover counters on 2 creatures. Creatures with lover counters get +1/+1.
    When a creature with a lover counter leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the controller of each creature with a lovers counter sacrifices it.

I like how this is done and there are probably a number of interesting ways to play this card. Good job.

Spoiler: Personification's Hero's Journey
    Show

Saga of the Champion 1WW
    Enchantment - Saga R
    [I] Put a hero counter on target creature you control. It gets +1/+1, trample, vigilance, and lifelink.
    [II] Exile target enchantment or creature an opponent controls.
    [III] Sacrifice all permanents you control with hero counters.

This seems strong I think the effects are appropriate in white at this cost and I think tells a decent story.

Spoiler: Turboghast's Stabbings
    Show

Sorcery R

I wonder if this could be an uncommon but this is a great 2 for 1.

Spoiler: LaZodiac's Heartbreaker
    Show

Tragedy of Love 1R
    Enchantment - Saga
    I: Two target creatures each get +2/+0 and gain double strike for as long as you control Tragedy of Love.
    II: Creatures you control attack this turn if able. Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, it deals 1 damage to each player.
    III: Choose a creature you control. Sacrifice the rest.

+2/+0 and double strike is very strong on two creatures. I think this might be a little much, but at least it can only be played at sorcery speed.

Spoiler: Buckey's Fall Guys
    Show

Bold Aerobat 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier C
    Flying
    When Bold Aerobat attacks or blocks, transform it at the end of combat.
    3/3

///

Crippled Instructor
    Creature - Bird Advisor
    Creatures you control with Flying get +1/+0.
    Crippled Instructor can't attack unless it has Flying.
    2/3

This is a cool common for a transform set! I wonder if the injured side should be able to attack on the ground. I also like how the backside gains a lord effect. Nice card :)

Spoiler: Top 3
    Show

Shout out to all the tragic love cards. I had some trouble picking through them since they started to blend together in my mind.
    Bold Aerobat
    Llewellyn, the Forsaken
    Coute que Coute
    Spoiler: Winner
    Show

Llewellyn, the Forsaken I thought that using children with age counters was a really creative idea!
    benzayb!

Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Llewellyn sounds like an elvish name to me.
    It's distinctly Welsh.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2020-12-20 at 08:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow, thanks! For the curious, the name is based on the Llewelyn Davies children.

This week, choose a trope and make a card based on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default This Post Will Ruin Your Life

*gasp* You linked us to the forbidden site! The bane of readers, the swallower of time! You monster! How could you!?

Actually, that gives me a very neat idea for a card.

Life-Breaking Binge XUBR
    Sorcery - MR
    (A large crystal ball with images that looks suspiciously like articles on different tropes in fiction dominates the picture, with 'Mad Scientist' on the left, 'Evil Overlord List' to the right, 'Archive Binge' on top and 'Go Mad From the Revelation' in the center. Over the crystal ball, a clearly disheveled, emaciated, and now screaming mage is seen frantically pawing through these images, motioning up to bring up another article from the bottom; the words 'Eld' and 'Ab' can be seen drifting up as his hands fray away from black fire, his body vanishes into blue mist and his mouth and eyes combust in red flame. A giant fanged mouth and pair of eyes in these colors can be seen behind him as the background fades to black...)

You may spend only blue, black and/or red mana to pay X. If X is 5 or greater, this spell can't be countered.

Target player exiles a card from their hand. If they can't, exile the top card of their library. Repeat this process X-1 times. Then, they exile the top X cards of their library. Life-Breaking Binge than deals X damage to them. This damage can't be prevented.

'Just one... more... artic-'
    - Last words of Master Mage Kath'mor
    Last edited by +5 Vorpal Bunny; 2020-12-24 at 09:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Death of a Thousand Cuts W

Enchantment-Aura C
    Whenever combat damage would be dealt to enchanted creature, instead put that many scratch counters on it. Enchanted creature gets -0/-X, where X is the number of scratch counters on it.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Open Secret U
    Enchantment R
    Every player plays with the top card of their library revealed.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

No Time to Explain U
    Instant U
    Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put that card on the top its owner’s library instead of into that player’s graveyard. That player may scry 3, then draw a card.
    Scry 3.
    I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO OVER THIS AGAIN YOU IDIOT!!!
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2020-12-28 at 10:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Eye Beams 1RW
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature has Vigilance and "{T}: This creature deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature."

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    No Time to Explain U
    Instant C
    Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner’s hand instead of into that player’s graveyard.
    I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO OVER THIS AGAIN YOU IDIOT!!!
    Is there a reason this isn't template as "Return target spell to its owner's hand"?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Just copied the wording on remand. I guess it doesn't work on spells that can't be countered :/

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

El Dorado
    Legendary Land R
    [A golden city]

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
    When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice
    any number of creatures and put the same number of wealth counters on ~.

T: C
    T, sacrifice a creature: Put a wealth counter on ~.

T, remove X wealth counters from ~: Search your library for an artifact with CMC X (X can't be 0) and put it on the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
    Last edited by Kapow; 2020-12-23 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Link supplied

23. - Top - End - #53

ElfMonkGuy

I just hit random trope a few times until I got one that caught my eye, and it happened to be... Squirrels in my Pants.

Squirrel Mobbing 1GW
    Enchantment- Aura (U)
    Enchant creature
    Squirrel Mobbing enters the battlefield with three squirrel counters on it.
    Enchanted creature can't attack or block. It loses all abilities and has "T: Target opponent creates a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token. Remove a squirrel token from Squirrel Mobbing. Then, if it has no squirrel counters on it, sacrifice Squirrel Mobbing."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Not Too Dead to Save the Day B
    Instant-U
    Cast only if it is not your turn. Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. Sacrifice it at the end of the turn.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Devil