New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

The Hellfighters 2WR
    Creature - Human Soldier M
    Menace
    If The Hellfighters is attacking prevent all damage that would be dealt to it.
    Whenever The Hellfighters attacks for the first time each turn, if The Hellfighters is equipped, untap it. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
    “And They Thought We Couldn't Fight”
    4/4

2. - Top - End - #692
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Defensive Trenches 2W
    Artifact U
    Creatures you control gain first strike while defending.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Elesh Norn, Splicemaster General - 3WW
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor MR
    Modified creatures you control have Double Strike.
    Graft 3
    0/3
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2022-06-19 at 09:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I've a few too many Ideas.

The Unkillable Soldier RW
    Legendary Creature- Human Soldier M
    ~ cannot die.
    If you would control more than one ~, shuffle all but one ~into your library.
    "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."
    2/1

Spoiler: Other Ideas
    Show
    Hounds of Hell 1RW
    Creature- Dog Soldiers R
    When ~ blocks or becomes blocked, ~ get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    When ~ is blocked, untap ~ and there is another combat after this one.
    At the beginning of combat, if ~'s power is 6 or greater enemies can't block until end of turn.
    Kill. Fight. Die.
    Water Storage Project 1
    Enchantment- U
    Opponents can't look at your hand or search your library.
    1,T:Exile a card from your hand face down.
    4,T:Turn all cards exile with ~ face up. If there a 4 or more card types amongst those cards, exile ~ and then return it to the battlefield transformed. You may play the exiled cards this turn without paying their mana costs.
    ///
    Armored War Wagon
    Artifact- Vehicle U
    Vigilance, Indestructible
    Crew 3
    You may mill 1 instead of paying the crew cost.
    7/7
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have the time to do full comments this week, but Tom the Mime wins with the simple Defensive Trenches.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks. Challenge: Blast from the past - make a card with Hideaway

7. - Top - End - #697
    Dwarf in the Playground

Threatening Parcel 1RR
    Artifact R
    Hideaway 6
    Threatening Parcel enters the battlefield with 2 delivery counters on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep remove a delivery counter from Threatening Parcel then if the last one is removed this way you may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
    At the beginning of your opponents upkeep they may choose to have you sacrifice Threatening Parcel, if they do you may reveal a land exiled with it to have Threatening Parcel deal 5 to each opponent.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-06-28 at 11:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Logarimythic Function 2
    Artifact - U
    Logarimythic Function enters the battlefield tapped.
    A deck can have any number of cards named Logarimythic Function.
    Hideaway 2 (When this artifact enters the battlefield, look at the top two cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the other on the bottom.)
    Whenever you cast a spell with the same name as this card, if this card is untapped, you may sacrifice it and if you do you may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
    There must be a way to make the formula work out! - Math wizard's last words.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Barbarian in the Playground

Renegade Waystation
    Land R
    ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
    Hideaway 4.
    T: Add C
    Revolt - 1, T: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost. Activate only as a sorcery and only if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

Moonglove Smuggler - 1B
    Creature - Elf Assassin U
    Deathtouch, Hideaway 5
    1B, put the exiled card into its owner's graveyard: Destroy target creature or planeswalker with the same mana value as the exiled card.
    1/2

11. - Top - End - #701
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Been a bit over week so lets go with the four entries.

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    I think something might have been lost in edits but it just doesn't seem very good. Your opponent is always going to pass an the first upkeep and will probably trigger it on the second unless they're desperate or confident enough knowing your deck that there isn't likely to be anything 6 cards deep that could really hurt. So if they trigger it and you predicted right and chose a land, it's a lava axe for 1 less with a delayed until the turn after your next one. That's not worth it and that's the best case scenario if they just always trigger it at the latest opportunity, which they have the choice on.

Spoiler: Mystic
    Show
    Interesting. Looks like it's designed as a combo piece while recognizing how out of hand it could get with graveyard recursion like faiths reward so restrictions like the tapping and cast trigger was included. Without those it would probably be broken so but with them it feels like a janky combo piece that can't combo off. Not really sure about it.

Spoiler: personification
    Show
    Way too strong given how easy it it to flicker or sac something on your side of the field. If you open with this, you can trigger it reliably turn 2 in modern or 3 in standard with fetchlands so it barely even restricts what could run it. Going four deep, you're almost guaranteed to get something worth the cost while having too much of a chance to just break the game.

Spoiler: Dr Gunsforhands
    Show
    Nice enough card. 1/2 deathtouch for 2 with a nice bonus that will trigger a bit inconsistently. Feels like it might be a bit much in a more regimented format like constructed where you're more likely to know what's coming but those formats tend to have more removal so you might get away with not being 2 for 1ed more

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Dr Gunsforhands

12. - Top - End - #702
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm you're right think I need to tweak the numbers, either lower cmc, highier dmg, or hit more than just face. Thanks for judging!

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you heard that I like auras?

Make an Aura that can enchant another Aura!

14. - Top - End - #704
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faith Materialized 1W
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant aura with enchant creature or equipment
    Enchanted permanent is an Artifact Equipment with "This permanent is enchanting any creature it is equipped to."
    If enchanted aura doesn't have an equip ability it gains Equip X where X is equal to its mana value.

When Faith Materialized enters the battlefield draw a card.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-07-07 at 06:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

X's Zibit 1W
    Enchantment- Aura R (Un)
    Enchant enchantment
    When X's Zibit enters the battlefield, if the enchantment enchanted enchantment is enchanting enchants another enchantment, search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them onto the battlefield. They become Auras in addition to their other types, gain "Enchant enchantment," and are all enchanting each other (so they're enchanted while they enchant).
    "We've heard rumors you like enchantments. So, we'll put-"
    "Please don't."

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Aura Animus 1W
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant Aura with Enchant Creature
    If the enchanted Aura's enchanted Creature would leave the battlefield, exile that creature instead and create a 1/1 white Elemental creature token with enchanted Aura attached to it.
    The boon was imbued with such purpose that it consumed its original recipient, acting on its own to complete the task.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2022-07-07 at 04:34 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

Weighted Ambience W
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant Aura
    When Weighted Ambience enters the battlefield, draw a card.
    Enchanted Aura has "this card becomes a spirit creature with power and toughness equal to its converted mana cost if it’s not attached to a creature".

18. - Top - End - #708
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Astral Parasite 1B
    Enchantment -Aura U
    Enchant enchantment an opponent controls
    At the beginning of your upkeep, enchanted enchantments controller loses 2 life and you gain 2 life unless they sacrifice enchanted enchantment.

Spoiler: Cycle continuation
    Show

Astral Immolation 1R
    Enchantment -Aura U
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may deal 2 damage to target creature enchanted enchantments controller controls unless they sacrifice enchanted enchantment.

Astral Drain 1U
    Enchantment -Aura U
    At the beginning of each upkeep, enchanted enchantment controller pays 1 unless they sacrifice enchanted enchantment.

Astral Conduit 1G
    Enchantment -Aura U
    At the beginning of your precombat main phase, gain GG unless enchanted enchantments controller sacrifices enchanted enchantment.

Astral Reinforcement 1W
    Enchantment -Aura U
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 token on target creature you control unless enchanted enchantments controller sacrifices enchanted enchantment.

Cycle continuations aren't the most balanced right now but they all still have the out of sacrificing the enchantment. The W and G options are strictly worse than cards like disenchant or naturalise but they're really there to fill out the cycle while giving a soft way for the others to try and deal with enchantments.

19. - Top - End - #709

Versatile Ward 1W
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant creature, artifact, or enchantment you control.
    If the enchanted permanent or any permanent it is attached to would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy ~. (An aura or equipment is attached to a permanent it is enchanting or equipping.)
    "One size fits all!" -Gorzug, Arcane Quartermaster
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Ward
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Versatile Ward 1W
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant creature, artifact, or enchantment you control.
    If the enchanted permanent or any permanent it is attached to would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy ~. (An aura or equipment is attached to a permanent it is enchanting or equipping.)
    "One size fits all!" -Gorzug, Arcane Quartermaster
    See, this is the kind of thing I was expecting to see - something that can enchant an aura, but will usually enchant something else because it's easier. This one feels a lot like the runes from Kaldheim, as its most interesting use case is as an insurance policy on valuable equipment.

Spoiler: Parasite
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Astral Parasite 1B
    Enchantment -Aura U
    At the beginning of your upkeep, enchanted enchantments controller loses 2 life and you gain 2 life unless they sacrifice enchanted enchantment.
    This card feels like it was printed in the 1990's. I'd say the whole cycle feels like that, but I think the use of +1/+1 counters on the green one is more of a mid-2000's thing. In any case, it's probably too narrow, even in the aura-heavy environment this contest implies.

Spoiler: Ambience
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Weighted Ambience W
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant Aura
    When Weighted Ambience enters the battlefield, draw a card.
    Enchanted Aura has "this card becomes a spirit creature with power and toughness equal to its converted mana cost if it’s not attached to a creature".
    This one's clearly narrow, but juuust interesting enough that it could get away with it in its own deck. Drawing a card feels like a simple addition to make it feel cheaper, like cycling, but the setup it requires makes it not feel like cycling at all in practice. It also seems better in constructed than in limited, since it mainly gives you something to work with after a board wipe.

Spoiler: Animus
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Aura Animus 1W
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant Aura with Enchant Creature
    If the enchanted Aura's enchanted Creature would leave the battlefield, exile that creature instead and create a 1/1 white Elemental creature token with enchanted Aura attached to it.
    The boon was imbued with such purpose that it consumed its original recipient, acting on its own to complete the task.
    This card is a combo with any free sac outlet. I assume that that's on purpose, and that the extra step of already having a creature that's enchanted feels like enough of a hurdle to you, which, okay, it probably is. It's a minimum of a three-card combo that way, after all. That the combos won't really care which aura you use this way irks me a little; you'll probably end up using Pacifism or something, so it doubles as removal until you have the mana to play the whole combo in one turn. Then again, there's probably an aura out there with a good enough on-death trigger, too. One can imagine a few ways it could go depending on the set it's printed in.

Then again again, if you have something like Dead Weight around, it's also very easy to make it end the game in a draw, which... isn't great. I was about to declare you the winner when that realization suddenly hit me.

Spoiler: Zibit
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    X's Zibit 1W
    Enchantment- Aura R (Un)
    Enchant enchantment
    When X's Zibit enters the battlefield, if the enchantment enchanted enchantment is enchanting enchants another enchantment, search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them onto the battlefield. They become Auras in addition to their other types, gain "Enchant enchantment," and are all enchanting each other (so they're enchanted while they enchant).
    "We've heard rumors you like enchantments. So, we'll put-"
    "Please don't."
    This one knows what's up.

Spoiler: The Winner!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Faith Materialized 1W
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant aura with enchant creature or equipment
    Enchanted permanent is an Artifact Equipment with "This permanent is enchanting any creature it is equipped to."
    If enchanted aura doesn't have an equip ability it gains Equip X where X is equal to its mana value.

When Faith Materialized enters the battlefield draw a card.
    The first of what is now three-and-a-half ways to make an aura stick around after your creature dies, all in white. That's over half the entries! This one does it in a pretty cool way, though. It makes me imagine an equipment card that can absorb auras into itself to do this, even though such a thing would have in no way worked for this challenge and so comparing this to that would be totally unfair.

Also, you win, Quiddle! Saying so this way felt fun since yours happened to be last on my list anyway. Let's hear the next challenge!

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks Doc! I did think I might have been passed up for a sec

Next week make me a card that imagines an established mtg race in a two color pair that aren't their established colors.
    ie non-green elves or non-blue merfolk

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Lavalash Forest 1UR
    Creature - Plant U
    Defender
    Whenever ~ blocks a creature, it latches to that creature.
    If enchanted creature would untap, ~ deals 2 damage to it instead.
    What appears to be an underwater lava landscape filled with kelp-life is actually a massive organism that slowly feeds off unsuspecting prey lured by its kelp-like tendrils.
    0/4
    Spoiler: latch keyword
    Show
    Latches to X (This creature becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant permanent. Then, attach it to X. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

23. - Top - End - #713

Shepherd of Civilization 3UG
    Creature - Angel Advisor M (Planeshifted)
    Flying, Vigilance
    Magecraft-Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, you may put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.
    Modified creatures you control have flying and vigilance.
    4/4
    In a multiverse where its namesake was not a guardian, but a teacher, the motto of the Academy of Serra is "the hand of progress that reaches towards destiny".

24. - Top - End - #714
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The green was ramp, the white was +1 counters

Honoured Ancestor UW
    Creature - Zombie U
    T: Untap target artifact
    2/2
    Before death, chop wood, carry water. After death, chop wood, carry water.

A resource poor society where service as labour after death as a zombie is culturally accepted and promoted.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nature Shade 1RG
    Creature - Shade C
    {G}{R}: Nature Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    2/2
    The wild places of Ravnica are but a shadow of their former selves
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2022-07-22 at 05:12 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Silk-whip Explorer - 1WR
    Creature - Spider Rogue U
    Lifelink, Menace, Reach
    (Lorehold Watermark)
    2/3
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2022-07-21 at 05:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Silk-whip Explorer - 1WR
    Lifelink, Menace, Reach
    (Lorehold Watermark)
    2/3
    This hurts my soul in the same way that Golgari Death Swarm does.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lavalash Forest 1UR
    Creature - Plant U
    Defender
    Whenever ~ blocks a creature, it latches to that creature.
    If enchanted creature would untap, ~ deals 2 damage to it instead.
    What appears to be an underwater lava landscape filled with kelp-life is actually a massive organism that slowly feeds off unsuspecting prey lured by its kelp-like tendrils.
    0/4

This is a cool effect but I don't like that forest is in the name, I think thats one of the words that should be reserved only for lands to not cause confusion. Anyway this card feels very much at home as a blue red plant!

Shepherd of Civilization 3UG
    Creature - Angel Advisor M (Planeshifted)
    Flying, Vigilance
    Magecraft-Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, you may put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.
    Modified creatures you control have flying and vigilance.
    4/4

UG is a sensible direction to go with for angels, though flying and vigilance seems a bit on the nose. I was hoping the mecanics would feel a little more separate from the regular mono w angels.

Honoured Ancestor UW
    Creature - Zombie U
    T: Untap target artifact
    2/2

Nicely done, blue white zombies works well and the flavor text helps sell it.

Nature Shade 1RG
    Creature - Shade C
    {G}{R}: Nature Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    2/2

I could see a nature shade being mono g but having red in it makes me think the name should be slightly different or have some sore of red effect, +2/+1, trample or something.

Silk-whip Explorer - 1WR
    Lifelink, Menace, Reach
    2/3

I like it, I assume its a spider person because it has a class? I'd like to see the art for this card but conceptually I like it.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Tom the Mime!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-07-25 at 10:02 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Spider Indiana Jones by Personification!
    Obviously you're free to pick whoever you like, but the Spider card was posted by Dr. Gunsforhands

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

oops thanks Miso, I'm going with Tom the Mime's Honored Ancestor then!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2022-07-26 at 09:15 AM.