New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    You need to specify where in the library the cards are exiled from, and the last effect has to be worded in a very particular way for the rules to actually parse it. I think the proper templating for this card (cleaning up a few other things as well) would be:
    "You may spend only blue, black and/or red mana to pay X. If X is 5 or greater, this spell can't be countered.
    Target player exiles a card from their hand. If they can't, exile the top card of their library. Repeat this process X-1 times. Then, they exile the top X cards of their library. Life-Breaking Binge deals X damage to them. This damage can't be prevented."
    Blue precision to the rescue once again! Thanks man, I'll fix it right up.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Was thinking of "Weapons that suck" being an equipment forcing a creature to attack or block a certain way but going for this for now.

Everybody Lives 1W
    Instant - U
    Until the end of the turn, creatures gain hexproof and indestructible and cannot be sacrificed.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Replacement Goldfish - 2
    Artifact Creature - Fish Shapeshifter U
    Whenever a creature you control dies, you may have Replacement Goldfish become a copy of that creature except it's an artifact in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    0/2

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

CameFromTheSky

Heavenly Intervention 5GW
    Instant R
    Reveal the top 4 cards of your library. Put all permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield and the rest into the graveyard.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dead Man's Switch RR
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant creature you control
    When enchanted creature dies, Dead Man's Switch deals 3 damage to each creature, planeswalker, and player.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's been nearly two weeks, judgment?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I had a blast reading the entries and choosing the winners is pretty hard. Unfortunately, it looks like the holidays are eating up more of my time than anticipated and I won't be able to sit down and get out the full reviews.

Spoiler: runners up
    Show

Blade on a Stick by somethingrandom
    Everybody Lives by Tom the Mime
    Dead Man's Switch by TurboGhast
    Spoiler: WINNER
    Show
    Squirrel Mobbing by mythmonster2

Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #68

ElfMonkGuy

Didn't expect to win with that, but I appreciate it nonetheless!

For the new challenge: Since Kaldheim's going to be having Gods, make a God or a card related to a God! So, something like Pharika's Libation or Pharika's Spawn would also be acceptable.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Godslayer 1B
    Artifact - equipment R
    Equipped creature has Deathtouch.

T: Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn. If that creature is a God creature it loses all abilities until end of turn instead. If the targeted creature leaves the battlefield this turn, untap ~.

Equip 2

Spoiler: Too narrow but still flavorful idea
    Show

Taking up the power BW
    Instant R
    As an additional cost to casting this spell, sacrifice a non-token creature.
    Put target god from a graveyard into play under your control.
    "He hadn't expected 'you kill it, you bought it' to apply to divine power.'"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-06 at 12:50 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Divine Spark
    Creature- Illusion U
    Mutate 3
    This is an enchantment and god, in addition to its other types and subtypes.
    If this creature is a demigod, it is indestructible.
    If this creature is a nightmare or an illusion, it has shadow and hexproof.
    0/0

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Chromatic Apotheosis 3
    Sorcery R
    Chromatic Apotheosis is all colors.
    Spend only colored mana to cast Chromatic Apotheosis
    Exile a creature you control, then search your library for a God card that shares a color with that creature and place it onto the battlefield under your control. Shuffle your library.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Deific Display 1UU
    Instant - U

Reveal a creature card that has the God type in your hand. Tap a number of permanents target player controls equal to that card's converted mana cost.

'Oh. My. God.'
    - Unnamed Acolyte

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Godslayer 1B
    Spoiler: Too narrow but still flavorful idea
    Show

Taking up the power BW
    Instant R
    As an alternative cost to casting this spell, sacrifice a non-token creature.
    Put target god from a graveyard into play under your control.
    "He hadn't expected 'you kill it, you bought it' to apply to divine power.'"
    Only if you are well Connected.

Kodo, Titan of Gods' Fears 1WB
    Legendary Creature - Elder Giant M
    When Kodo enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless it escaped.
    Whenever Kodo enters the battlefield or attacks, choose a color. Each opponent loses life equal to their devotion to that color. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
    Escape-WWBB, Exile five cards from your graveyard.
    6/6
    EDIT: p/t
    Last edited by Personification; 2021-01-05 at 09:45 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Zealous Apostate 1W
    Creature - Human U
    Each players devotion to every color is 0.
    "The gods have no power but what we give them. So give them none."
    1/3
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2021-01-05 at 10:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Godslayer 1B
    Artifact - equipment R
    Equipped creature has Deathtouch, "creatures dealt damage by this creature lose indestructible untill end of turn" and "god creatures damaged by this creature lose all abilities untill end of turn".

Equip 2
    All of the words on this card work, but they don't accomplish what I think you intended them to. As written, both of the damage effects are triggered abilities that would go on the stack after damage is dealt. Let's look at each one against the gods they seem to be targeted at:
    1. "Lose indestructible" vs. the indestructible gods. Since they're indestructible at the time the damage was dealt, the deathtouch won't "work." The relevant rule is "702.2b A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action." They'll still lose indestructible, and potentially die if they were dealt damage greater than their toughness, but they won't get deathtouched to death.
    2. "Lose all abilities" vs. the Scarab/Locust god and eternalized Amonkhet gods. Their "hard-to-kill"-ness comes from death triggers. Those will still go on the stack, so when the "remove all abilities" ability resolves, it will be too late to stop their recursion ability.

You could change the triggers to "Creatures blocking or blocked by..." to get around those issues, but then it would only work in combat and not on fighting, pinging, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Whenever Kodo enters the battlefield or attacks, choose a color. Each opponent loses life equal to their devotion to that color. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
    As a creature, this needs a power and toughness.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Karametra, Full of Plenty 3WG
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God M
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn’t a creature.
    Whenever you tap a Plains or Forest for mana, add an additional mana that land could produce.
    Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay X, where X is the creatures casting cost, if you do create a token, that is a copy of the creature.
    5/6

I always missed a second Karametra ;p

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Probably too much just conceptually
    Show
    Wolf God's Moon - 1RG
    Enchantment - R
    Whenever this enchantment enters the battlefield or becomes a creature, tap target creature you don’t control. It fights up to one target creature you control.
    Whenever a non-Werewolf creature dies, if it was dealt damage this turn, create a 2/2 red and green Werewolf creature token with haste.
    2RG, Tap two Wolf or Werewolf creatures you control: this enchantment becomes a 5/5 legendary God creature until end of turn.

ULA - 6
    Legendary Artifact Creature - God MR
    Indestructible
    Unless an opponent has 12 or more cards in exile, ULA isn't a creature.
    When ULA enters the battlefield, exile target permanent.
    Whenever a creature attacks an opponent or a planeswalker they control, exile the top 2 cards of that opponent's library.
    9/9
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-06 at 11:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    All of the words on this card work, but they don't accomplish what I think you intended them to. As written, both of the damage effects are triggered abilities that would go on the stack after damage is dealt. Let's look at each one against the gods they seem to be targeted at:
    1. "Lose indestructible" vs. the indestructible gods. Since they're indestructible at the time the damage was dealt, the deathtouch won't "work." The relevant rule is "702.2b A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action." They'll still lose indestructible, and potentially die if they were dealt damage greater than their toughness, but they won't get deathtouched to death.
    2. "Lose all abilities" vs. the Scarab/Locust god and eternalized Amonkhet gods. Their "hard-to-kill"-ness comes from death triggers. Those will still go on the stack, so when the "remove all abilities" ability resolves, it will be too late to stop their recursion ability.

You could change the triggers to "Creatures blocking or blocked by..." to get around those issues, but then it would only work in combat and not on fighting, pinging, etc.
    Hmmm. It seems you're right and that's annoying. Why can't the game just do what i need it to do! XD

I still like the general concept, but I'll have to change the effect a bit then to get it to work as intended
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ascension WW
    Sorcery MR
    Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God Enchantment in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this enchantment's converted mana cost, this enchantment is not a creature."
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2021-01-09 at 04:16 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Ascension WW
    Sorcery MR
    Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this permanent's converted mana cost, this permanent is not a creature."
    I think you need to specify, what the card is instead of a creature (probably an enchantment?)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cannyth, Roof of the World
    Legendary Land Creature - Mountain God M
    Indestructible, Double Strike
    ~ isn't a creature unless you control three or more Mountains.
    T, Sacrifice another land: Add RR. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    2/2
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2021-01-09 at 02:13 AM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

22. - Top - End - #82

ElfMonkGuy

I will give 24 hours for more submissions, then judging will be done.

EDIT: Submissions are now closed, judging will be up tomorrow.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-01-14 at 01:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler: DeTess- Godslayer
    Show
    Godslayer 1B
    Artifact - equipment R
    Equipped creature has Deathtouch.

T: Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn. If that creature is a God creature it loses all abilities until end of turn instead. If the targeted creature leaves the battlefield this turn, untap ~.

Equip 2
    There aren’t any equipments that can be tapped, though it is supported by the rules. This is a flavorful card, and I like that I can be useful even when not up against a god, and that it can be useful against all gods by removing their abilities. I’m not totally sure on the necessity of the untap clause, though, since it’s not often that opponents will have multiple gods.

Spoiler: Necroticplague- Divine Spark
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Divine Spark
    Creature- Illusion U
    Mutate 3
    This is an enchantment and god, in addition to its other types and subtypes.
    If this creature is a demigod, it is indestructible.
    If this creature is a nightmare or an illusion, it has shadow and hexproof.
    0/0
    This is a very strange card. On any creature that’s not one of the chosen types, this does basically nothing, and might even make the card weaker by opening it up to enchantment removal. It’s useful on a demigod, but we only have 5 of those. Shadow is a weird choice for the nightmares and illusions; it’s been a while since we’ve seen it. This card just seems a bit too specific to be useful, even in a deck with the chosen creature types.

Spoiler: mystic1110- Chromatic Apotheosis
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Chromatic Apotheosis 3
    Sorcery R
    Chromatic Apotheosis is all colors.
    Spend only colored mana to cast Chromatic Apotheosis
    Exile a creature you control, then search your library for a God card that shares a color with that creature and place it onto the battlefield under your control. Shuffle your library.
    This could be pretty good, even with the sacrifice and colored mana clauses. It’d probably be safer with a nontoken clause on the exiling ability, so that you are actually put down a card in exchange for the god.

Spoiler: +5 Vorpal Bunny- Deific Display
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    Deific Display 1UU
    Instant - U

Reveal a creature card that has the God type in your hand. Tap a number of permanents target player controls equal to that card's converted mana cost.

'Oh. My. God.'
    - Unnamed Acolyte
    This is a very narrow card, and one that’s a bit self-contradictory. You want gods in your deck, but you don’t want to cast them, or else you might draw this card and be unable to use it. This should be able to do something if you don’t have a god in hand.

Spoiler: Personification- Kodo, Titan of Gods' Fears
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    6/6
    This is a very flavorful design, turning the gods’ devotion against them. The power level seems alright; dependent on whether your opponent is playing a mono-colored deck or not. This would be a fine titan.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime- Zealous Apostate
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Zealous Apostate 1W
    Creature - Human U
    Each players devotion to every color is 0.
    "The gods have no power but what we give them. So give them none."
    1/3
    A nice hatebear (well, not really a bear) that could see play if a devotion deck becomes popular. Shutting down Nykthos in eternal formats is probably the biggest draw. Still, this could probably have some kind of secondary ability, like Lifelink or something, so that it’s not just a vanilla card in most cases.

Spoiler: Kapow- Karametra, Full of Plenty
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapow View Post
    Karametra, Full of Plenty 3WG
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God M
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn’t a creature.
    Whenever you tap a Plains or Forest for mana, add an additional mana that land could produce.
    Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay X, where X is the creatures casting cost, if you do create a token, that is a copy of the creature.
    5/6
    Karameta the doubler! The mana doubling is potent, but not that much more than, say, Mirari’s Wake. I love the second ability and how it synergizes with the first, and it probably have some strong combos to look out for. This could be on the strong side, but I’d love to make a commander deck out of this.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands- ULA
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    ULA - 6
    Legendary Artifact Creature - God MR
    Indestructible
    Unless an opponent has 12 or more cards in exile, ULA isn't a creature.
    When ULA enters the battlefield, exile target permanent.
    Whenever a creature attacks an opponent or a planeswalker they control, exile the top 2 cards of that opponent's library.
    9/9
    An interesting card. I was a bit wary about exile a permanent for 6 generic, but for just 1 more you can get Karn who can potentially do it twice, and Scour From Existence, which is an instant. I think this could be alright. The secondary ability is a flavor win by working well with the Eldrazi processors, but probably won’t be much use to you except turning on ULA. For the price, I think this could be fine.

Spoiler: Quiddle- Ascension
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Ascension WW
    Sorcery MR
    Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God Enchantment in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this enchantment's converted mana cost, this enchantment is not a creature."
    This is an interesting form of recursion. I feel like you’d probably mostly want to use it on creatures with good ETBs or passive effects, so that you can guarantee some value out of it. I think the limit on the reanimation will prevent this from being broken, so this has a good power level.

Spoiler: ben-zayb- Cannyth, Roof of the World
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Cannyth, Roof of the World
    Legendary Land Creature - Mountain God M
    Indestructible, Double Strike
    ~ isn't a creature unless you control three or more Mountains.
    T, Sacrifice another land: Add RR. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    2/2
    Oh, the poor judges. Dryad Arbor is bad enough, but now it’s a god, too? Rules issues aside, this seems broken to me. In Red Deck Wins, this is just always gonna be on past turn 3, and a free 2/2 indestructible double strike that can get even bigger is really good. If you want to keep this as a land god, this should probably have a much higher land requirement to become a creature, maybe something like 6 mountains.

Spoiler: And the winner is...
    Show
    Kapow, with Karametra! Congratuations!
    Honorable mentions to Quiddle's Ascension, and Tom the Mime's Zealous Apostate.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-01-16 at 12:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Spoiler: And the winner is...
    Show
    Kapow, with Karametra! Congratuations!
    Honorable mentions to Quiddle's Ascension, and Tom the Mime's Zealous Apostate.
    Wow!
    Thanks a lot.
    I didn't expect that.

For the next week, because Kaldheim is near, make a card that is METAL

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Long Forgotten Mine
    Land R
    At the beginning of your upkeep if Long Forgotten Mine has 4 or more unearth counters on it transform it.
    T: add 1 then put an unearth counter on Long Forgotten Mine.

//
    They Came From Bellow
    Enchantment (black color indicator)
    XX, Pay X life: Create X 1/1 black skeleton tokens. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I was a bit antsy about putting anything else on it as it would already be precarious in any set that wasn't straight to modern. If devotion is a big feature in a set, having a card that turns it off can be iffy as far as set design goes even if the gods having non devotion abilities mitigates this. Having it playable for a reason other than devotion felt like it would definitely detract from a set too much rather than just probably.

Iron Shod Card Sleeves 2
    Artifact - Equipment U (Un)
    ~ enters the battlefield with 3 charge counters.
    Remove a charge counter from ~: Equipped creature gains indestructible until the end of the turn
    Equip 1
    "Look, I can see where the card is in your deck"
    "What if I put it on all of them?"
    "... how will you shuffle?"
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2021-01-16 at 10:12 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloodrocute - 2R
    Instant - C
    When you cast Bloodrocute, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    Bloodrocute deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
    -
    Wait now what did they say /
    About the human body and proportions of things? /
    Blood is an / energy conductor /
    I am full of that / all I need is an outlet

- Metalocalypse, Bloodrocuted
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-01-16 at 08:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Frosted Myr 2
    Snow Artifact Creature - Myr C
    T: Add {c}
    "When Vorinclex crossed the planes, he brought a snack."
    1/1

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Magnetic Plating 2
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Whenever equipped creature attacks, attach another target Equipment to it. (Control of the Equipment doesn't change.)
    Equipped creature gets +2/+0 for each Equipment attached to it.
    Equip 4
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2021-01-19 at 07:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Graviton Blade 2
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Whenever equipped creature attacks, attach each Equipment to it.
    Equipped creature gets +2/+0 for each Equipment attached to it.
    Equip 4
    Is this supposed to steal stuff, because it does.