New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Urabrask, The Remaker 3RR
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor M
    If you would get one or more poison counters, put twice that much oil counters on a permanent you control instead.
    X, Remove X oil counters from ~: Choose one—
    • Target creature you control gets +X/+0 and gains haste until end of turn.
    • Target creature an opponent controls gets -0/-X and gains toxic 2 until end of turn.
    4/4

Spoiler: Toxic
    Show
    Toxic N (Players dealt combat damage by this creature also get N poison counter(s).)
    My understanding of toxic is that, like lifelink, multiple instances of it don't stack.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-01-10 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Wordshifter Mage 1UG
    Creature - Human Wizard R
    Flying
    When Wordshifter Mage enters the battlefield put up to 3 cards from your graveyard onto the bottom of your library in any order.
    If a player would draw a card they instead put the bottom card of their library into their hand.
    2/3
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-01-17 at 04:46 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

3. - Top - End - #873
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Summoners Call 3G
    Enchantment R
    If you would draw a card you may instead reveal cards from the top of you library and until you reveal a creature spell and put that spell into your hand.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm sorry about the delay, real life happened excessively.
    Spoiler: Bucky
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Inquisition Lockdown 2WW
    Legendary Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, investigate twice. (Create two colorless Clue artifact tokens with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.") Skip your next draw step unless you sacrifice Inquisition Lockdown.

Your opponents can't attack you unless they pay {2}.
    This reminds me of Sylvan Library. The writing is a bit awkward, but that's also like Sylvan Library. I understand the top-down reason for the second ability, but it does feel a bit like you stapled two cards together. I like the delayed draw effect though.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Devil's Canvas 1URB
    Enchantment MR
    At the end of each player's turn, that player may have Devil's Canvas deal 1 damage to any target. If a creature dealt damage by Devil's Canvas would die this way that player may exile it instead. If they do that player may create a token of that creature.
    It takes a genius to paint well with oils, but a madman with sin.
    I see what you're going for here, but I think the ability is a bit too complicated to use. It's difficult to make it trigger in a useful way unless you build for it, which undermines it being symmetrical. Also, I think it should be "would die this turn".

Spoiler: Comissar
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Aether Polymorphist - 2UU

Creature - Human Wizard U

Flash

If a player would create one or more tokens, they instead create that many 0/1 White Goat Creature Tokens.

2/2

"I tired of this fad of spinning creatures out of pure aether. It didn't take much to realise that I could meddle directly with that energy." - Fiona, Aether Theorist
    It's a nice effect, and I like Flash making it a counter. I think it could be a bit stronger, and should be a rare. However, if you can make the effect an upside for you, by turning treasures into sacrifice fuel or something, it could be strong. My inner Johnny approves.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Buried memories UB
    Enchantment - R
    Flash
    Whenever a player would search their library, they search their graveyard instead.
    2: Mill 4. Any player may activate this ability up to once per turn (activating player is the one who mills)

Being harder to get rid of than Aven Mindcensor might be an issue and there might need to be a better way to limit self mill potential.
    I personally don't enjoy tutors that much, so I like this. This might be too cheap. It probably opens up recursion tricks. In a graveyard-focused deck, it's no real handicap, and a counter to tutors. It's pretty unique, and I like that.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Short Pier - 2(u/b)
    Instant - C
    The next time a creature would enter the battlefield this turn, put it into its owner's graveyard instead.
    This is a cool corner of the color pie. It is very blue and very black, but still a new thing. Common removal is all over the place in cost, but this could cost (u/b)(u/b) without being too cheap.

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Urabrask, The Remaker 3RR
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor M
    If you would get one or more poison counters, put twice that much oil counters on a permanent you control instead.
    X, Remove X oil counters from ~: Choose one—
    • Target creature you control gets +X/+0 and gains haste until end of turn.
    • Target creature an opponent controls gets -0/-X and gains toxic 2 until end of turn.
    4/4

Spoiler: Toxic
    Show
    Toxic N (Players dealt combat damage by this creature also get N poison counter(s).)
    My understanding of toxic is that, like lifelink, multiple instances of it don't stack.
    I haven't been keeping up with spoilers, so it's a bit hard to judge this. I haven't seen a ton of ways to put oil counters on arbitrary cards or give yourself poison counters, so this really relies on your opponent's actions to turn it on. Toxic does stack, which breaks this unfortunately. If your opponent ever attacks, you can stack infinite toxics to get infinite oil counters. Without that, it's still 4 counters for every unblocked creature. I'm also not sure if you meant for it to give all your creatures haste.

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Wordshifter Mage 1UG
    Creature - Human Wizard R
    Flying
    When Wordshifter Mage enters the battlefield put up to 3 cards from your graveyard onto the bottom of your library in any order.
    If a player would draw a card they instead put the bottom card of their library into their hand.
    2/3
    I like that scry still works with this. The replacement isn't huge, but there are a lot of cards that interact with it. The ETB ability is strong, but removal nullifies it so it's not too strong. I think my only quibble with it is the creature type with flying, maybe it should be a Bird.

Spoiler: somethingrandom
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    Summoners Call 3G
    Enchantment R
    If you would draw a card you may instead reveal cards from the top of you library and until you reveal a creature spell and put that spell into your hand.
    This is similar to Abundance. It's useful to keep gas flowing once you have enough land. It does need to say what you do with the other cards you reveal.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Quiddle with Wordshifter Mage. Not too complicated, stands alone well, but also has interesting synergies, this is a really nice card.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks! I've always thought the idea of doing something with the bottom of the library was interesting :)

Make a card that has one activated and one triggered ability.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Kingmaker's Mansion
    Land - U
    T: Add one mana of any color.
    Whenever this land is tapped for mana, target opponent becomes the monarch.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-01-23 at 11:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ob Noxious BBBB
    Legendary Planeswalker - Ob R
    Whenever you are dealt damage, you may pay that much life. If you do, put that much loyalty counters on Ob.
    -7: Target player's life total becomes equal to one plus twice the number of loyalty counter on Ob.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Seriomancer UG
    Creature - Spider Wizard (R)
    You may choose not to untap Seriomancer during your untap step.
    As Seriomancer enters the battlefield, place a silk token on target creature with flying an opponent controls.
    {T}: Gain control of target creature with a silk token for as long as Seriomancer remains tapped.
    1/3
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2023-01-25 at 09:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

In the spirit of All Will be One;

Neurok Maze-Scout - 1UG - R
    Creature - Human Scout

Neurok Maze-Scout gets +1/+1 for each Poison Counter you have. As long as you have 3 or more Poison Counters, Neurok Maze-Scout is a Phyrexian in addition to its other types.

When Neurok Maze-Scout deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2G. If you do, Proliferate.

U: Neurok Maze-Scout can't be blocked this turn. This ability costs an additional X to activate where X is Neurok Maze-Scout's power.

1/1
    Last edited by Comissar; 2023-01-25 at 06:28 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

Plowshares Kami 2WG R
    Creature - Spirit
    Indestructible
    Whenever Plowshares Kami is dealt damage, you gain that much life.
    1WG: Target creature blocks Plowshares Kami this turn if able.
    2/2
    Last edited by TiaC; 2023-01-31 at 01:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Mindrot Shaman 1(B/U)G
    Creature - Elf Druid U
    Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere other than the battlefield, add G.
    T: Each player mills 1
    1/3
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-01-31 at 02:57 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Kingmaker's Mansion
    Show

Kingmaker's Mansion
    Land - U
    T: Add one mana of any color.
    Whenever this land is tapped for mana, target opponent becomes the monarch.

This is a pretty cool land. You can use it in your precombat to nab the monarch from someone or during someone else's turn to deny them the monarch in a multiplayer game. Only thing I don't love about it is the static is basically part of the active.

Spoiler: Ob Noxious
    Show

Ob Noxious BBBB
    Legendary Planeswalker - Ob R
    Whenever you are dealt damage, you may pay that much life. If you do, put that much loyalty counters on Ob.
    -7: Target player's life total becomes equal to one plus twice the number of loyalty counter on Ob.

This is scary when you activate it the second time and set ur opponent to 3 life. This card is a little weird because it gets stronger as damage is dealt to it. I think for BBBB its a little weak?

Spoiler: Seriomancer
    Show

Seriomancer UG
    Creature - Spider Wizard (R)
    You may choose not to untap Seriomancer during your untap step.
    As Seriomancer enters the battlefield, place a silk token on target creature with flying an opponent controls.
    {T}: Gain control of target creature with a silk token for as long as Seriomancer remains tapped.
    1/3

Seems a little weird that it only tags a creature with silk once. Otherwise the card is narrow but powerful. If the idea is the spider webs the creature up maybe it shouldn't be able to attack/block?

Spoiler: Neurok Maze-Scout
    Show

Neurok Maze-Scout - 1UG - R
    Creature - Human Scout

Neurok Maze-Scout gets +1/+1 for each Poison Counter you have. As long as you have 3 or more Poison Counters, Neurok Maze-Scout is a Phyrexian in addition to its other types.

When Neurok Maze-Scout deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2G. If you do, Proliferate.

U: Neurok Maze-Scout can't be blocked this turn. This ability costs an additional X to activate where X is Neurok Maze-Scout's power.

1/1

Feels weak for a rare. I think it could just proliferate on hit since the unblockable is pretty expensive to do.

Spoiler: playshares kami
    Show
    Plowshares Kami 2WG R
    Creature - Spirit
    Indestructible
    Whenever Plowshares Kami is dealt damage, you gain that much life.
    1WG: Target creature blocks Plowshares Kami this turn if able.
    2/2

This is cool, reverse brash taunter! I think its a little better at 2/2 than 1/1.

Spoiler: Mindrot Shaman
    Show
    Mindrot Shaman 1(B/U)G
    Creature - Elf Druid U
    Whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere other than the battlefield, add G.
    1/2

A manadork that costs 3 and is really more of a combo enabler. Super interesting, you are really playing for the powerful static.

Winner:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tom the Mime with

Mindrot Shaman 1(B/U)G
    Creature - Elf Druid U
    1/2

Thanks for playing!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883
    Dwarf in the Playground

If anyone else wants to post a prompt feel free!

14. - Top - End - #884
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, got sidetracked by real life stuff. Thanks for the win. Yep, underpowered mana dork part for the powerful passive with synergy particularly with mill, dredge and looting. I have a feeling that it looks better than it'd actually be in a lot of decks because the colours that trigger it generally aren't mono green so comboing out could be tricky if you can't filter the mana and it's hard to tell if it would produce enough mana to be worth it. There's some green self mill but if you want it on creatures to keep the ratio favourable, you're pretty low on options.

It'd definitely be tempting to try and make a janky combo deck with Greater Good and lots of green 1-3 drops with more power than mana cost and something like Blighsteel Colossus to shuffle everything back and keep going. Maybe finish with an Ayula's Influence to get all the bears (getting Anger in the graveyard is basically guaranteed when you combo off and getting a Stomping Grounds is pretty reliable with fetchlands, which you want to thin out the land count). Fragile but having reasonable value cheap creatures gives a plan B.

Challenge: Make a compleated version of an existing character/card
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-02-04 at 03:06 AM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Emrakul, the Irrevocable Call 21
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Eldrazi M
    Protection from other turns (It has protection from everything as long as it's not your turn.)
    When you cast ~ from your hand, for the rest of the game during each of your turns, you control spells and permanents that are colorless or share a creature type with it.
    13/8
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-02-05 at 04:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Bringer of Paradise - G

Creature - Phyrexian Bird - U
    Flying
    {P/G}, T: Add One Mana of any Colour

Corrupted - T: Add One Mana of any Colour. Activate only if an opponent has 3 or more Poison Counters.

0/1

For the Invaders, a glorious promise. For the Resistance, a hollow mockery.

Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Compleated Djinn 2(U/P)(U/P)
    Creature — Phyrexian Djinn (R)
    Flying
    At the beginning of your upkeep, discard two cards. If you discard a land this way, lose 3 life.
    When you have no cards in your hand, sacrifice Compleated Djinn.
    5/6
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2023-02-06 at 11:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

Rend Husk - 2B
    Instant - C
    Destroy target non-Phyrexian creature.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Not quite right
    Show
    Nornian Citadel 3WW
    Legendary Artifact MR
    You may look at the top card of your library any time.
    You may play lands and cast spells from the top of your library. If you cast a spell this way, gain poison counters equal to its mana value rather than pay its mana cost.
    Pay 20 life, T: Each opponent gains 4 poison counters.

Sheoldred, Pawn of Norn 3BBW
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian R
    When Sheoldred, Pawn of Norn enters the battlefield you may gain 3 poison counters, then each other creature gets -1/-1 for each poison counter you have until the end of the turn.
    Whenever another creature dies you gain 3 life.
    5/5
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-02-09 at 07:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

So... We're coming up on the two week mark, do we have a plan to keep moving?

Show

21. - Top - End - #891
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hadn't realised it had been that long and there weren't exactly man entries.
    Spoiler: benzayb
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Emrakul, the Irrevocable Call 21
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Eldrazi M
    Protection from other turns (It has protection from everything as long as it's not your turn.)
    When you cast ~ from your hand, for the rest of the game during each of your turns, you control spells and permanents that are colorless or share a creature type with it.
    13/8
    Is there a meaning to the 21 because it just feels weird and so overcosted that it will never be hardcast. The protection when it isn't your turn makes it crazy vulnerable compared to other Emrakul cards, just need interaction speed interaction although I guess it kinda works with the ability if cast given you control all their lands drong your turn, even if they'll all be tapped. And even that would bring up rules questions of if it's a triggered ability at the start of your turn, do they have a window where they can cast instants while it's on the stack anyway.

Spoiler: Comissar
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Bringer of Paradise - G

Creature - Phyrexian Bird - U
    Flying
    {P/G}, T: Add One Mana of any Colour

Corrupted - T: Add One Mana of any Colour. Activate only if an opponent has 3 or more Poison Counters.

0/1

For the Invaders, a glorious promise. For the Resistance, a hollow mockery.
    Nice compleated birds of paradise. Works the same for 2 life a pop or just filtering the mana if you need it. Being weaker than BoP isn't a big deal given it's one of the better mana dorks out there and paying life for a diverse mana base isn't exactly something people shy from.

Spoiler: mystic
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Compleated Djinn 2(U/P)(U/P)
    Creature — Phyrexian Djinn (R)
    Flying
    At the beginning of your upkeep, discard two cards. If you discard a land this way, lose 3 life.
    When you have no cards in your hand, sacrifice Compleated Djinn.
    5/6
    This feels like bad in most decks even as a 2 drop 5/6 flyer, discarding 2 cards per turn is a huge cost. Potentially terrifying in Rakdos madness aggro with alms of the vein and fiery temper giving targets that should let you win if you get a swing or two in.

Spoiler: Dr Gunsforhands
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Rend Husk - 2B
    Instant - C
    Destroy target non-Phyrexian creature.
    Simple borad removal that is less broad in the set it's printed in. Nice enough but not much to say.

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Sheoldred, Pawn of Norn 3BBW
    Legendary Creature - Phyrexian R
    When Sheoldred, Pawn of Norn enters the battlefield you may gain 3 poison counters, then each other creature gets -1/-1 for each poison counter you have until the end of the turn.
    Whenever another creature dies you gain 3 life.
    5/5
    Might be missing something but was Sheoldred ever not compleated when in the story. Anyway, unless you're playing against a poison deck, this is basically a reverse massacre wurm. Not sure how I feel about that.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Comissar with Bringer of Paradise

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The intent is that there shouldn't be any window during your turn because you simply control all lands, and you even get to untap them all during the untap step. Not sure if that could work strictly within the rules. The only source of mana your opponents have during your turn are from their colored permanents.

The numbers (21,13,8) are just references to the Fibonacci sequence because their ratio approaches Phi (the Phyrexian icon)
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-02-18 at 06:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the win!

One of the thing's I've found cute in All Will Be One is that there's Myr and Phyrexian tribal cards in the set, as well as new Rebels for those running Rebel tribal. And so for this week's challenge I'd like to see a tribal payoff card!

Show

24. - Top - End - #894
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pirate Payday!

Kari and Ragavan, Thieving Duo 2RR
    Legendary Creature - Human Monkey Pirate R
    Menace
    Whenever Kari and Ragavan, Thieving Duo attacks, the defending player may have you look at the top 2 cards of their library, then put any number of them on the bottom of that player's library and the rest on top in any order. If they don't, create a treasure token and put a +1/+1 counter on each pirate you control for each treasure you control.
    3/4
    "Everyone gets their cut!"
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-02-20 at 06:30 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Underworld Overlord 2BB
    Creature - Vampire Assassin Rogue R
    Menace, Deathtouch
    Assassins and Rogues you control get "When this creature enters the battlefield put a bounty counter on target creature you don't control"
    Whenever a creature or planeswalker an opponent controls with a bounty counter on it is dealt damage, destroy it, and have that creature's owner lose 2 life, then you gain 2 life and draw a card.
    2/3

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Archaeoraptor 4WW
    Creature - Bird Dinosaur Mutant R
    Flying, Vigilance
    Each other Bird creature you control has vigilance, base power and toughness 4/4, and is a Dinosaur in addition to its other types.
    4/4

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Squad Flanker 1W
    Creature - Elf Soldier C
    Vigilance
    {T}: Squad Flanker deals 1 damage to target creature if it's blocking or blocked by another Soldier.
    2/2
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Going with a style from a horizontal cycle for tribal from around when I first played. Looked at the release date for the set and it makes me feel old.

Breathless One 3U
    Creature - Merfolk Avatar U
    Whenever you cast a Merfolk spell, you may tap or untap target permanent.
    Breathless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Merfolk on the battlefield.

Pool your cunning with me
    */*

Stronger ability than the rest of the cycle but that's what 20 years of power creep does to you.
    Spoiler: Soldier variant
    Show

Fearless One 3W
    Creature - Soldier Avatar U
    Vigilance
    Fearless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Soldiers on the battlefield.

Lend your arms to me
    */*

Spoiler: Vampire variant
    Show

Shadowless One 3B
    Creature - Vampire Avatar U
    Whenever a creature dealt damage by a vampire this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Shadowless One.
    Shadowless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Vampires on the battlefield.

Hunt your prey with me
    */*

Spoiler: Treefolk variant
    Show

Timeless One 3G
    Creature - Treefolk Avatar U
    Hexproof
    Timeless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Treefolk plus the number of forests on the battlefield.

Spread your roots with me
    */*
    Forests as well for this one given I don't think there are as many cheap or good treefolk.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-02-24 at 02:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ettin in the Playground

Sisters of the Senate - 1(w/u)(w/u)(b/g)(b/g)
    Legendary Creature - Gorgon Advisor R
    When you cast Sisters of the Senate, create two tokens that are copies of it except they're not legendary.
    Flying, Deathtouch, Deathtouch for Planeswalkers
    Other Gorgon, Advisor, and Citizen creatures you control get +1/+1.
    0/2

Spoiler: Design Notes
    Show
    - Its own types aren't really "tribes" in Magic; it's really just an Overrun for Citizen tokens, and then only in Constructed. Its Limited set shouldn't make many such tokens, just enough between the three types to make this a random, incidental upside.
    - "Deathtouch for Planeswalkers" means exactly what you think it means: Any damage it deals to a planeswalker is enough to destroy it. Here it's mostly flavor text for the Golgari trio sentencing their deranged sister.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-02-24 at 04:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright folks, submissions are now closed! Judging to follow shortly

Show