New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Alrighty, judging time. I'm going to be trying to look at these by how well they'd play within their given tribes, as well as whether or not they're an appropriate effect for their colours. Let's get into it!

Spoiler: Quiddle's Kari and Ragavan, Thieving Duo
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Kari and Ragavan, Thieving Duo 2RR
    Legendary Creature - Human Monkey Pirate R
    Menace
    Whenever Kari and Ragavan, Thieving Duo attacks, the defending player may have you look at the top 2 cards of their library, then put any number of them on the bottom of that player's library and the rest on top in any order. If they don't, create a treasure token and put a +1/+1 counter on each pirate you control for each treasure you control.
    3/4
    "Everyone gets their cut!"
    So, off the bat, a fun idea to have a Pirate lord be Kari and Ragavan. 3/4 Menace for 4 is ok, nothing to write home about, so we'll need to look at the abilities. And... This is very strong. Your opponent is forced to choose between being fatesealed for 2 or ramping and giving an anthem boost. The trigger is an attack trigger rather than a damage one, too, so there's a very real threat of being pumped immediately. I'm not going to focus very heavily on limited, but this being only at Rare is insane for limited, I'd hate to be facing this on curve.

Looking at the abilities, Fatesealing has only ever been in blue, and only very sparingly at that. It's rightly recognised as an anti-fun mechanic as it can just outright lock your opponent out of the game. Tying it to an easily repeatable game action means that you can just keep on sculpting your opponents draws and prevent them from playing. The opponent can choose to not be fatesealed, but the alternative is to ramp and fix you and give a permanent pump to, at a minimum, Kari and Ragavan. The fact the treasure comes in untapped is also a big deal as it enables a lot of combat tricks/fast mana style uses. There are going to be times you swing Kari and Ragavan into certain death just for that attack trigger. This just honestly seems like an exceptionally strong creature and I don't like how few opportunities your opponent has to interact with the attack trigger, or the fact it opens up fatesealing to Red.

Spoiler: mystic1110's Underworld Overlord
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Underworld Overlord 2BB
    Creature - Vampire Assassin Rogue R
    Menace, Deathtouch
    Assassins and Rogues you control get "When this creature enters the battlefield put a bounty counter on target creature you don't control"
    Whenever a creature or planeswalker an opponent controls with a bounty counter on it is dealt damage, destroy it, and have that creature's owner lose 2 life, then you gain 2 life and draw a card.
    2/3
    This seems like a strong Assassin/Rogue payoff. Realistically, probably just a Rogue payoff. There aren't that many Assassins running around. 4 mana 2/3 Deathtouch Menace is a bit on the weak side. It's nice that you can take out both blockers, but you're probably not getting blocked, and 4 mana for a 2/3 deathtouch blocker means you really need to be blocking something huge to be making your mana back. So it's gonna come down to its abilities.

First, a quick templating note, the second ability should read 'Whenever a Creature or Planeswalker an opponent controls with a bounty counter on it is dealt damage, destroy it. When you do, that permanent's owner loses 2 life, you gain 2 life, and you draw a card." As it's worded at the moment, there's no provision for if the creature/walker is indestructible, and nothing happens if a Planeswalker dies with a bounty counter on it (you also don't have a way on the card to put a bounty counter on a Planeswalker, but there are enough Rogues with flash, and enough Planeswalkers that become creatures, that I can see it happening). The drain and draw effects are also just worded a little messily.

The first ability should also be slightly re-templated (and this is just me being a grammar nerd). You can use Harmonic Sliver as an example here. It should read 'Assassins and Rogues you control have "[Ability]"'

So on to the actual functioning of the card. I like this take on a tribal payoff. Bounty Counters have existed on the odd card here and there, and this is a nice way to continue the theme of them. Having any damage kill the creature/walker they're on might be a bit on the stronger side, but the bounty counters won't do anything if the Overlord isn't on the field, and we've had creatures that grant deathtouch to spells/ways to give deathtouch to boards before, and this isn't very far removed from that. Nice design!

Spoiler: ben-zayb's Archaeoraptor
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Archaeoraptor 4WW
    Creature - Bird Dinosaur Mutant R
    Flying, Vigilance
    Each other Bird creature you control has vigilance, base power and toughness 4/4, and is a Dinosaur in addition to its other types.
    4/4
    So I'm a big prehistory nerd. Which means you automatically win, congrats! Which means I'm always happy to see more dinosaur cards. This is, sadly, a bird payoff and not a dinosaur payoff, so I'll curb my enthusiasm a bit.

A 6 mana Serra Angel is pretty meh. A 6 mana Serra Angel with the potential to turn the rest of your board into Serra Angels is interesting. Having this as the top curve of a flying deck seems like it'd be pretty good. A deck full of cheaper birds becomes pretty fearsome when this drops. Beyond that, it's a very simple card. The buff will be most noticeable if you're using lots of smaller birds, much less so if you're using more expensive ones. Not much else to say!

Spoiler: Bucky's Squad Flanker
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Squad Flanker 1W
    Creature - Elf Soldier C
    Vigilance
    {T}: Squad Flanker deals 1 damage to target creature if it's blocking or blocked by another Soldier.
    2/2
    For a common, this guy's doing a lot. First, it's a little odd to see an Elf in mono-white. Not beyond the realm of possibility, Selesnya and Shadowmoor/Eventide both have mono-white elves, and I think Streets of New Capenna has a few as well, but still notable.

A french vanilla bear with upside is solid for a common. Having vigilance with the tap ability is nice, and I appreciate you specifying another Soldier needs to be involved before you can target something. Keeps it from effectively being a 3/2. The complexity may be a little on the high side for a Common, but I don't know if it's enough to warrant a bump to Uncommon. Having multiple of these is where it starts to make combat get messy, blocking and attacking become far more difficult if there are two or three of these down, and I think with that I'd probably say this should be Uncommon for the sake of Limited.

I do like this design, though. A nice simple early creature that rewards having a Soldier sub-theme.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime's Breathless One
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Breathless One 3U
    Creature - Merfolk Avatar U
    Whenever you cast a Merfolk spell, you may tap or untap target permanent.
    Breathless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Merfolk on the battlefield.

Pool your cunning with me
    */*
    This is a tricky one to evaluate. Tapping/Untapping stuff is a nice effect to have for getting blockers through/maximising mana/denying mana. It may be a bit on the strong side given you can untap your own lands, and there's probably an infinite combo in that somewhere. With that in mind, it might be worth having it be either opponent's permanents, or non-land permanents. The P/T being equal to all Merfolk probably will mostly just mean equal to your Merfolk. They're not usually the splashiest of the tribes (pun not intended), unlike Elves/Zombies/Clerics/Wizards/Goblins, all of which regularly show up even outside of tribal decks.

I think Breathless One would be pretty well played within Merfolk decks, at worst you can effectively give your Merfolk a 1 mana discount (potentially more if using mana rocks/lands that add more than 1 mana), and that's not a bad floor to have.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands' Sisters of the Senate
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Sisters of the Senate - 1(w/u)(w/u)(b/g)(b/g)
    Legendary Creature - Gorgon Advisor R
    When you cast Sisters of the Senate, create two tokens that are copies of it except they're not legendary.
    Flying, Deathtouch, Deathtouch for Planeswalkers
    Other Gorgon, Advisor, and Citizen creatures you control get +1/+1.
    0/2
    This is a pretty interesting design. The colour identity is strange, I don't know that there's much that's green in it, but I can see an argument for it and it doesn't really matter from a mechanics perspective beyond how hard it is to cast (which, thanks to the hybrid mana, is actually pretty easy).

5 Mana for three flying 2/4's with deathtouch (and possibly some anthem buffs on top of that, though none of the three types are well-represented at present) is a good rate. It's difficult to attack past, it's a reasonable threat in the air, and if you can find a way to re-cast the Sisters (or even just cast a second copy), they start to get even stronger. I'd probably bump that up to Mythic for limited balance reasons, it'd be pretty miserable to run into someone running multiple copies in a draft, though I think it'd get first picked often enough that you'd have to have it as pick 1 or 2's to be able to do so.

Spoiler: Ok, but who won
    Show

Spoiler: Third Place
    Show
    In third is Bucky's Squad Flanker. I do think it should probably be at Uncommon for complexity/Limited reasons, but leaving that aside the design is clean and can be used without investing entirely into the tribe. Simple designs work well for lower rarities!

Spoiler: Second Place
    Show
    In second is Tom the Mime's Breathless One. It's hard to evaluate in a vacuum, but it seems like it has the potential to be a neat combo piece. The tapping/untapping is the main draw of the card, but it's nice that it also scales with the board. The main thing keeping it from the top spot is that it is just difficult for me to evaluate whether the lack of limitations on what can/can't be tapped is too strong or not, but I do like it.

Spoiler: First Place
    Show
    In first is mystic's Underworld Overlord! I like the design a lot, the backwards compatability with existing Bounty Counters is nice, and having it for a tribe without too much support is also a nice thing to do. It also allows for a different direction to the mill theme for Rogues introduced in Zendikar Rising. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Comissar; 2023-02-25 at 12:17 PM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Thank you for the win.

The next challenge is to create an Instant or Sorcery that creates at least one Creature Token

3. - Top - End - #903
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Food Fight 2G
    Instant - U
    Create 2 food tokens.
    Until the beginning of your next end step, food you control become 2/2 creatures with haste in addition to their other types.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Disorienting Summon 1BB
    Instant U
    Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with trample and menace. At the beginning of the next end step, tap it and put three stun counters on it unless you pay 3.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-02-27 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Banish the Flesh {w/b}{w/b}
    Sorcery R
    Exile target non-Spirit creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with Flying with the same name as the exiled creature.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2023-03-09 at 07:39 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Sculpt from Nightmares - 2B

Sorcery - C

Target player discards two cards. If one or more land cards are discarded this way, create a 2/2 Black Nightmare Creature token.

Art Description - Ashiok looms behind a sleeping victim, the victim's face is contorted in terror. Ashiok has a cruel smile as they pull black smoke from the victim's forehead, the smoke is coalescing into a shadowy creature with far too many eyes and teeth.

Show

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Reincarnation Syndrome - XBBB
    Sorcery - MR
    As an additional cost to cast this spell, exile X creatures you control.
    Exile target creature card from your graveyard. If you do, create X tokens that are copies of it.

Spoiler: Cycle of Nonsense
    Show
    Grow Up - XG
    Sorcery - R
    Choose X:
    - Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
    - Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    - Put up to one land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
    - Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    - Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.

Show Up - XW
    Sorcery - R
    Choose X:
    - Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
    - Destroy target enchantment.
    - Gain 3 life.
    - Search your library for a basic plains, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
    - Tap target creature.

Heat Up - XR
    Sorcery - R
    Choose X:
    - Create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token.
    - Destroy target artifact.
    - Exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
    - Heat Up deals 1 damage to 1 target.
    - Target creature gains Haste until end of turn.

Sneak Up - XB
    Sorcery - R
    Choose X:
    - Create a 1/1 black Rat creature token.
    - Draw a card and lose 2 life.
    - Put target card from your graveyard on top of your library.
    - Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
    - Target player gets a poison counter.

Think Up - XU
    Sorcery - R
    Choose X:
    - Create a 1/1 blue Illusion creature token.
    - Discard a card, then draw a card.
    - Draw a card, then discard a card.
    - Scry 1.
    - Surveil 1.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Bugbear in the Playground

Paradox Theft UR1
    Instant U
    Create a creature token that is a copy of target creature an opponent controls. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at end of turn.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bargain with Blood 1BB
    Sorcery R
    Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with flying.
    Pay 6 life: Gain control of this spell. Any player may activate this ability.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-03-02 at 10:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Arm the Cohort XWR
    Sorcery U
    Create X colorless Equipment artifact token named Gladius with ‘Equipped creature gets +1/+1’ and equip {2}. For each of those tokens, you may attach it to a creature you control that hasn’t been had an equipment attached this way.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2023-03-03 at 06:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

Apologies for delays - will try to get judging up by tomorrow

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Tom the Mine
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Food Fight 2G
    Instant - U
    Create 2 food tokens.
    Until the beginning of your next end step, food you control become 2/2 creatures with haste in addition to their other types.
    This is a unique way to get a temp 4/4 for 3. I worry though that it can be really swingy as theirs plenty of ways to get more food tokens by turn 3. Hitting for 10 with food won't be that crazy. . .

Spoiler: Ben-Zayb
    Show
    Disorienting Summon 1BB
    Instant U
    Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with trample and menace. At the beginning of the next end step, tap it and put three stun counters on it unless you pay 3.
    Entirely forgot Stun counters were a thing. This reminds me of Echo a bit and by analogy to that this feels pretty undercosted.

Spoiler: Bucky
    Show
    Banish the Flesh {w/b}{w/b}
    Sorcery R
    Exile target non-Spirit creature. Its controller creates a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with Flying with the same name as the exiled creature.
    Ooh, this is really neat and flavorful - I feel this is similar to arrest-type cards and thus seems appropriately costed IMP.

Spoiler: Comissar
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Sculpt from Nightmares - 2B

Sorcery - C

Target player discards two cards. If one or more land cards are discarded this way, create a 2/2 Black Nightmare Creature token.

Art Description - Ashiok looms behind a sleeping victim, the victim's face is contorted in terror. Ashiok has a cruel smile as they pull black smoke from the victim's forehead, the smoke is coalescing into a shadowy creature with far too many eyes and teeth.
    This is a really great common card, 3 mana for 2 discard plus an upside is common and a 2/2 nightmare seems about the power level of a 2 life drain.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Reincarnation Syndrome - XBBB
    Sorcery - MR
    As an additional cost to cast this spell, exile X creatures you control.
    Exile target creature card from your graveyard. If you do, create X tokens that are copies of it.
    get creature.
    Feels like this should be Dimir? Otherwise this card seems fine, if week - the cost is heavy and requires lots of set up in the graveyard. Casting this you should win, but it's so many hoops. Also assuming you can copy legends? If so, need some legend exception langauge.

Spoiler: Tiac
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Paradox Theft UR1
    Instant U
    Create a creature token that is a copy of target creature an opponent controls. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at end of turn.
    This card just makes sense - surprised its not an existing card. Probably needs appropriate legendary card exceptions unless this is meant to kill legends?

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    Bargain with Blood 1BB
    Sorcery R
    Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with flying.
    Pay 6 life: Gain control of this spell. Any player may activate this ability.
    Ah playing with lightning storm mechanics? I think though additional language is needed for what happens if multiple people pay the cost, or what order? As it is now you cast this - if opponent pays the life, can you pay it also to get it back and can they pay it again? If so, feels like the powers and life might need to be toned down to balance it.

Spoiler: Androgeus
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Arm the Cohort XWR
    Sorcery U
    Create X colorless Equipment artifact token named Gladius with ‘Equipped creature gets +1/+1’ and equip {2}. For each of those tokens, you may attach it to a creature you control that hasn’t been had an equipment attached this way.
    Nice, ever since I saw Toggo hoped for more equipment tokens. This is a really neat card.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Comissar with a well crafted Common.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2023-03-10 at 10:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the win!

Speaking of winning, poison is an alternate win condition that's in vogue at the moment, but the trouble is poison often feels very all or nothing. Mill is often the same way. Corrupted and the 'opponent's graveyard matters' cards of Zendikar Rising help keep them from feeling quite so all or nothing and let you splash a little bit of it into otherwise more straightforward decks, so here's the challenge!

Design a modal card that is stronger if you're playing with an alternate win condition, but doesn't directly advance that win condition (existing examples would be things like Apostle of Invasion or Anticognition)

Show

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

XWW Victory Parade
    Sorcery R
    X cannot exceed the number of cards in your graveyard that are named Victory Parade or have abilities containing "Win the Game".

Gain X plus one life and create X plus one 2/2 white Knight creature tokens with First Strike.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2023-03-11 at 12:58 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Not Actually Modal
    Show
    Brain-death's Shadow - U
    Creature - Nightmare Illusion R
    Brain-death's Shadow gets -X/-X, where X is the number of cards in your library.
    13/13

Yorion's Loonlet - 1U
    Creature - Bird C
    Flying
    When Yorion's Loonlet enters the battlefield, choose one -
    - Scry 1.
    - If you have 60 or more cards in your library, draw a card.
    - If you have 200 or more cards in your library, search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
    1/2
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-03-16 at 08:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Resonant Arcana 3UU
    Enchantment R
    The first instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has convoke.
    The second instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has ripple X, where X is thrice the number of Wizards you control.
    The third instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has "Replicate - Tap an untapped creature you control named Biovisionary."
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-03-11 at 07:59 PM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #917

Nightmare Chirurgeon - 1B
    Creature - Horror U
    Menace
    When Nightmare Chirurgeon deals combat damage to a opponent, you may remove any number of poison counters from that player. If you do, that player loses life equal to the number of counters removed.
    2/2

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

Better with mill

Feast on Remains 2BG
    Instant R
    Choose one or more:

Exile target creature card from a graveyard, if you do create a 3/3 beast token.

Exile target artifact card from a graveyard, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on up to two creatures you control.

Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard, if you do put a deathtouch counter on a creature you control.

Exile target land card from a graveyard, if you do gain 4 life.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-03-15 at 12:18 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Balmgathering 1G
    Enchantment {U}
    At the beginning of your end step, if you gained 3 or more life this turn, return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
    Some gather wool, I prefer to dream of more useful distractions.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Submissions are now closed, judging to follow soon!

Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

Judging time! I'm going to be judging cards based on their modes and their relative strengths, ideally you want your modal card to be slightly weaker than an equivalently costed card if its conditions aren't met, but stronger if they are, but also on whether the card would have a home in a deck that is only playing a small amount of the alt-win condition. Let's get into it.

Spoiler: Bucky's Victory Parade
    Show
    XWW Victory Parade
    Sorcery R
    X cannot exceed the number of cards in your graveyard that are named Victory Parade or have abilities containing "Win the Game".

Gain X plus one life and create X plus one 2/2 white Knight creature tokens with First Strike.
    So this is a very literal interpretation of the challenge. A note on templating, unless your intent is to exclude instants and sorceries that reference winning the game, rather than 'abilities containing "Win the Game"', it should be 'text boxes containing "Win the Game"' as 'Win the Game' is itself not an ability keyword. There's not much precedent for referring to text boxes, but there is a non-acorn Unfinity card that provides an example of looking at text boxes as a whole (Exchange of Words).

For the card itself, the floor is a 2/2 first striker for WW that gains you one life. This is fine as a floor. Not very exciting, but fine. There are currently 39 cards in magic with that phrase in their text box, of these 4 are un-cards, and a further 6 don't actually make you win (instead they're Platinum Angel style effects). So that leaves 29 cards that function as alternate win conditions. I think the most likely place you'd see this would be a laboratory maniac deck where your goal is to mill as fast as possible, letting you get the upper limit for X fairly high. However, I'm not sure how useful it'd be in such a deck as they're usually focused on milling as fast as possible. It could work in an approach control deck, it seems more likely to have a home there as it works to stall the board, gaining life while it does, and letting you get closer to resolving Approach. It feels like that's realistically the only deck it'd have a home in that isn't purely dedicated to an alt-win con too.

I'm also unsure on whether or not I'd consider this to be a modal card or not. I suppose an X cost does provide some modality in more of a sliding scale than the A-B modality I had in mind, but that sliding scale feels fairly limited.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands Yorion's Loonlet
    Show

Yorion's Loonlet - 1U
    Creature - Bird C
    Flying
    When Yorion's Loonlet enters the battlefield, choose one -
    - Scry 1.
    - If you have 60 or more cards in your library, draw a card.
    - If you have 200 or more cards in your library, search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
    1/2
    Pretty clear which alt win-condition you have in mind here. At a floor, a Storm Crow that lets you scry is unexciting, but functional. The option to draw a card off a larger than normal deck is a nice upgrade, and being able to just straight tutor if you're going for the Battle of Wits win is obviously a huge help, balanced by the unlikeliness of drawing the Loonlet.

On a colour pie note, the Loonlet should probably be black, or hybrid blue/black, rather than blue. Blue can only tutor for instants, sorceries, and artifacts, though the pre-requisites for this mean it probably won't be tutoring 99% of the time. I'd also be tempted to bump it to uncommon rather than common for complexity reasons, even if it won't come up most of the time.

Overall a fun little bird, though.

Spoiler: ben-zayb's Resonant Arcana
    Show
    Resonant Arcana 3UU
    Enchantment R
    The first instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has convoke.
    The second instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has ripple X, where X is thrice the number of Wizards you control.
    The third instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has "Replicate - Tap an untapped creature you control named Biovisionary."
    This is a bit of a wacky design, but it seems interesting. You're not likely to get much value out of this the turn you play it, but giving one spell each turn Convoke is nice. Ripple is a mechanic that's not especially fun to play against as it either does nothing, or it just wins the game on the spot. Limiting it to just the second spell you cast helps a lot as you're not going to be able to just chain together dragon's approaches to insta-win. The third mode won't come up most of the time, I think the enchantment does enough to be played in spells-matters decks without needing it, but if you are playing Biovisionary then it's solid upside.

I do think this should be mythic rare rather than rare for limited purposes, but otherwise seems fun.

Spoiler: TiaC's Nightmare Chirurgeon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Nightmare Chirurgeon - 1B
    Creature - Horror U
    Menace
    When Nightmare Chirurgeon deals combat damage to a opponent, you may remove any number of poison counters from that player. If you do, that player loses life equal to the number of counters removed.
    2/2
    Fun fact, this would be only the second card ever to remove poison counters. Given it removes them from opponents only, this maybe doesn't break WotC's rule on removing poison? But hey, we're not WotC, so let's look at it on its own merits.

As a floor, a 1B 2/2 Menace is fine. Not very exciting, but it's fine. You probably don't run this in a dedicated infect strategy, but I can see playing it in a deck with spells that give incidental poison on its instants/sorceries, and it may find a home in toxic decks that aren't married to winning through poison too. If you're regularly taking advantage of this ability, you're probably doing 2-3 extra damage on a hit.

It's an interesting design for sure.

Spoiler: Quiddle's Feast on Remains
    Show
    Better with mill

Feast on Remains 2BG
    Instant R
    Choose one or more:

Exile target creature card from a graveyard, if you do create a 3/3 beast token.

Exile target artifact card from a graveyard, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on up to two creatures you control.

Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard, if you do put a deathtouch counter on a creature you control.

Exile target land card from a graveyard, if you do gain 4 life.
    If you manage to get all four modes on this when you cast it, it's going to feel really good. Being able to target anyone's graveyard is really solid too, this means you can run it in self-mill or mill strategies. Even being able to just get two modes on this will be worthwhile, and should be pretty easy to do even outside of mill strategies.

This seems like just a really nice instant, very cool.

Spoiler: mystic1110's Balmgathering
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Balmgathering 1G
    Enchantment {U}
    At the beginning of your end step, if you gained 3 or more life this turn, return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
    Some gather wool, I prefer to dream of more useful distractions.
    On its own, this is a 1G do nothing enchantment. Obviously you're not going to run it unless you have some life gain in your deck. So you're going to want regular lifegain to get the most out of this. A W/G lifegain deck would love this to enable recursion of key pieces, but if you have a few sources of incidental lifegain this can help a lot, particularly if you use spells like Revitalise to help draw through your deck.

Leaving the card by card analysis aside, let's crown a winner;

Spoiler: Ok, who won
    Show

Spoiler: Third Place
    Show
    In third, we have mystic1110's Balmgathering. The enchantment seems like a solid card that works with decks with incidental lifegain, and becomes powerful in a lifegain focused deck. It's cool.

Spoiler: Second Place
    Show
    ben-zayb's Resonant Arcana comes second, very narrowly missing first. The Biovisionary part is likely less relevant than the potential to aid Storm/Dragon's Approach decks, but it can also function well within a more generic spells-matter deck. I'd enjoy trying it out.

Spoiler: First Place
    Show
    And the winner is Quiddle's Feast on Remains. A card that functions well outside of mill/self-mill decks, but one that becomes significantly more consistent within them, Feast on Remains seems like it'd be a fun card to play with, nice design!

Show

22. - Top - End - #922
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks Comissar!

For our next challenge I'm asking you to design a 2-in-1 card. I'm looking for something with Aftermath, Split, Adventure, Two-sided. A card that you can cast with two different names.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-03-18 at 09:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #923

Lock UU
    Sorcery
    Tap up to three target lands, then put a stun counter on each of them.
    //Fuse//
    Load RR
    Sorcery
    At the beginning of your next precombat main phase, add RRR.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2023-03-26 at 08:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ode to the Conquerors 1WR
    {images of soldiers pillaging and reveling in the glory of war}
    Enchantment - Saga R
    I-IV. Each Soldier creature you control gets +1/+0 and gains lifelink until end of turn.
    V: Destroy target land. If you do, create five Treasure tokens.
    //
    Elegy of the Invaded 1WB
    {images of people being killed and driven out of their land}
    Enchantment - Saga R
    I-IV: Until your next turn, target creature you control can block any number of creatures.
    V: Each creature you control explores, then explores again if you have a land card in your graveyard.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Lost - 3U
    Instant - U

Target creature's controller puts it on the top or bottom of their library. Surveil 1.

Art Direction - A panic sweeps the streets of Amonkhet, the crowd is trying to escape a barely visible threat, Phyrexian horrors just about visible. A child is the focus of the piece, she's reaching out to an adult man who's being swept away from her by the motion of the crowd. The man is in the mid-ground, shouting out and reaching out to her as he's pulled away.

//

Unforgotten - 3W
    Sorcery - U

Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it)

Create a token copy of target creature card in your graveyard. That Token is an Artifact instead of its other types (it loses all other types and it's no longer a creature).

Art Direction - A young woman kneels in front of a statue. Her clothes echo those of the young girl in 'Lost''s artwork. She has placed offerings at the feet of the statue. The statue strongly resembles the man who was being swept away from her.

Show

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

(Modal Front) Publisher Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin R
    Trample
    You play with your hand revealed.
    -
    "Out of my way! The world must know!"
    2/2
    //
    (Modal Back) Interview Faerie - 1U
    Creature - Faerie R
    Flying, Telepath (Your opponents play with their hands revealed)
    Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of revealed instant or sorcery cards in players' hands.
    -
    "Now, regarding the private letter you recently sent to Chief Emissary Zunak in the Sixth district..."
    0/3

Spoiler
    Show
    In theoretical a set where Telepath and 2-face modal cards are both being pushed as a mechanic, this might get away with being Uncommon, but the setup as a whole is complicated enough that Rare seems usually correct.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lock UU
    Sorcery
    Tap up to three target lands, then put a stun counter on each of them.
    //
    Load RR
    Sorcery
    At the beginning of your next precombat main phase, add RRR.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking Lock might be too strong, but as a sorcery its really just another Early Frost. This dual card is very interesting either providing a mana tempo slow down or speed up to cheat something big out.

Ode to the Conquerors 1WR
    {images of soldiers pillaging and reveling in the glory of war}
    Enchantment - Saga R
    I-IV. Each Soldier creature you control gets +1/+0 and gains lifelink until end of turn.
    V: Destroy target land. If you do, create five Treasure tokens.
    //
    Elegy of the Invaded 1WB
    {images of people being killed and driven out of their land}
    Enchantment - Saga R
    I-IV: Until your next turn, target creature you control can block any number of creatures.
    V: Each creature you control explores, then explores again if you have a land card in your graveyard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Currently almost all sagas go to III with only 2 going to IV, this is two sagas that go to V which makes me think maybe they should be enchantments that trigger and sac under certain conditions. I do like the parity in the way you present two sides of a conflict, though I'm not sure about the soldier tribal.

Lost - 3U
    Instant - U
    Target creature's controller puts it on the top or bottom of their library. Surveil 1.
    //
    Unforgotten - 3W
    Sorcery - U
    Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it)
    Create a token copy of target creature card in your graveyard. That Token is an Artifact instead of its other types (it loses all other types and it's no longer a creature).

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a cool loop where you can target your own creature to get it ready for Unforgotten. I worry about some creatures being extra powerful as non-creatures with their abilities, though you priced it at a point where it probably isn't too much of an issue. Also what happens to creatures with effects that don't work on an artifact like Brash Taunter's fight ability?

(Modal Front) Publisher Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin R
    Trample
    You play with your hand revealed.
    -
    "Out of my way! The world must know!"
    2/2
    //
    (Modal Back) Interview Faerie - 1U
    Creature - Faerie R
    Flying, Telepath (Your opponents play with their hands revealed)
    Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of revealed instant or sorcery cards in players' hands.
    -
    "Now, regarding the private letter you recently sent to Chief Emissary Zunak in the Sixth district..."
    0/3

Spoiler
    Show
    I like these two! The only thing holding this card back in my opinion is that these cards work well together and you only get to put one into play at a time.

Spoiler: Winner!
    Show
    Dr Guns4hands with Publisher Goblin!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-03-26 at 08:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle
    Also what happens to creatures with effects that don't work on an artifact like Brash Taunter's fight ability?
    For a mechanical answer, it just wouldn't do anything. Similar to if the Taunter was under the effects of One with the Stars. It'd still be Indestructible, and you'd still be able to pay the mana, tap, and target something. But the ability wouldn't do anything other than target unless you had a way to animate the token.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2023-03-27 at 02:25 AM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay journalism!

This week, make a card that captures a feeling of rushing to do something in the nick of time.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Dwarf in the Playground

Redact WW
    Instant U
    Exile the last non-land permanent that entered the battlefield this turn.

[A courtroom with a loxodon judge, there is a blasted spot on the floor where something used to be.]
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-03-28 at 11:29 AM.