New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Judgement?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Subservience 1W
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant permanent.
    Enchanted permanent has "This permanent does not untap during its owner's upkeep unless they discard a card."
    As long as enchanted permanent is tapped it's activated abilities cannot be activated.
    Cheaper arrest at the cost of them being able to use the creature when they really need to. Solid design but not much more to say.

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Thirst for Violence 1R
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and has "Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, it fights another target creature you control."
    Interesting design. Feels like the primary use would be on your own creature while you have goblin tokens to throw at it or pushing for a brash taunter/stuffy doll but depending on the field it could turn into a weird form of pacifism.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Unrecognized Genius (U/R)
    Enchantment - Aura (U)
    Enchant creature
    Whenever enchanted creature becomes tapped mill four cards and then exile a card at random from your graveyard. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
    I'm not sure but this feels like it could get out off hand. The amount of repeatable self mill feels like this might be too good in certain decks with the chance of getting an extra card to cast being the icing on the cake.

Spoiler: Personification
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Is it weird that the first three of these were effectively arrest variants/discourage attacking?

Cage of Nettles
    BBB
    Enchantment - Aura Curse U
    Enchant player
    Whenever a creature enchanted player controls attacks, that player loses 1 life and each of their opponents gains 1 life.
    "You are free to approach me whenever you please," taunted the fae from behind an impenetrable film of fragile thorns.
    ...in my defense, I wrote the comment at the top of the post before I designed the card, and I didn't realize what I had done until I was finished.
    So it's basically Revenge of Ravens for BBB instead of 3B? And slight tweaks for multiplayer. Not much more to say really

Spoiler: somethingrandom
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    Nurturing Growth GG
    Enchantment Aura - R
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted Creature gains "XG:Put X +1/+1 counters on this creature"
    Compared with firebreathing effects, even though it costs more, it feels like it should have another downside given it's more permanent. I think I'd like it more if the activation was only at sorcery speed but it might just be me.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Going Ham - B
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchanted creature has Menace.
    Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
    Cheap menace with a boost along the lines of the Eldraine theme. Probably okay given black isn't the best at double casting in a turn.

Spoiler: mythmonster2
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Conclave's Blessing 1WG
    Enchantment- Aura (U)
    Enchant creature
    When Conclave's Blessing enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Plant creature token.
    Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, populate.
    Probably okay. It feels like it's a bit of a win more card as if you can get it to deal combat damage and have something worth populating, you're probably pretty solid already. Might change on something with evasion though.

Spoiler: Laughing Dog
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    Exile Order 1WUB
    Enchantment- Aura R
    Enchant Permanent
    If enchanted permanent or ~ would leave the battlefield, instead exile both of them.
    As long as ~ is exiled, cards cannot leave exile.
    And stay out!
    Feels weird in that it does very little to start with and unless you can sac an enchantment, you'll be losing card advantage and tempo playing this. It makes flicker effects just exile but given it doesn't play nice with cards that synergise with flicker normally means you'd only be running one or the other. Also shuts down reckless draws and special casts but I can't see that being enough even for sideboarding because it still needs setup before it can actually stop things.

And the winner is:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ben-zayb with Thirst for Violence
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2021-03-01 at 06:04 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

You didn't comment on this so I thought I would point out that my card can be played on any permanent. Thanks for judging.

Edit: Thanks! Yeah, probably better as enchant non-land permanent.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2021-03-01 at 08:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

You didn't comment on this so I thought I would point out that my card can be played on any permanent. Thanks for judging.
    Missed that and that actually shifts my analysis to that it's a bad design because 2 mana land disruption is insane, especially when it has an alternate arrest mode for if their mana base is secure. If it was changed to a non-land permanent, we're more or less back at the initial judgement.

5. - Top - End - #155

ElfMonkGuy

ben-zayb, any new challenge?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oops, I didn't even realize.

Next round's challenge: Showcase new mechanics for a wedge set

To clarify: the flavor doesn't have to be tied to Tarkir or Ikoria
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2021-03-04 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #157

ElfMonkGuy

Dragon Hunt WBG
    Instant (R)
    Destroy target creature, then create a number of Scale tokens equal to that creature's mana value. (It's a colorless artifact token with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")

Spoiler: Other potential Scale creators
    Show

Novice Scaletaker 1G
    Creature- Hound Archer (C)
    Reach
    When Novice Scaletaker enters the battlefield, create a Scale token.
    1/1

Spoils of the Hunt 1BB
    Enchantment (U)
    Whenever a creature dies, create a Scale token.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-03-04 at 08:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Aethertouched Oracle URG
    Creature - Elemental Advisor U
    Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, choose one:
    -Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    -Scry 1.
    "To survive the future, we must anticipate it."
    2/2

Spoiler: Monocolored Examples
    Show

Aethertouched Lavaguide 2R
    Haste
    Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
    To survive the future, we must be swift.
    2/2

Aethertouched Cloudguide 2U
    Flying
    Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn.
    "To survive the future, we must be nimble."
    2/2

Aethertouched Forestguide 2G
    Trample
    Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn.
    "To survive the future, we must be strong."
    2/2
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I added a little bit of clarification in the initial post. For those who want to explore other wedge themes, go for it.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

So the card is for a wedge set but that doesn't mean it has to be three color right? We can make a mono colored card and just explain what wedge it is a part of?
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Resourceful Apprentice U/G
    Creature - Human U
    Siphon 1 - Create a treasure token (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a treasure token.)
    1/1

General form is:

Siphon X - Effect (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay X. If you do, Effect.)

This ability is for a BUG wedge, thematically UB for siphoning away the strength of opponents spells for your own use and G for boosting yourself with that strength. Others examples that could be in a set include:

Siphon 1 - Tap target creature
    Siphon 1 - Untap target creature
    Siphon 1 - Gain 2 life
    Siphon 1 - ~ gains hexproof until end of turn.
    Siphon 1 - Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1
    Siphon 2 - Create a 2/2 green and blue elemental token
    Siphon 2 - Put 2 +1/+1 counters on ~
    Siphon 2 - Target player discards a card
    Siphon 2 - ~ becomes a copy of target creature
    Siphon 3 - Draw a card
    Siphon 3 - Copy target spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

The actual cost of each siphon would need to be balanced along with the base stats and cost of the card it's on and ones like the counters could appear multiple times. Mechanically leading stronger towards blue than the others but there's still green and black stuff there. The wedge design would also have a healthy serving of flash given siphon wants you to have mana open on your opponents turn and these are the colors flash is primary and secondary in.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2021-03-08 at 12:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So the card is for a wedge set but that doesn't mean it has to be three color right? We can make a mono colored card and just explain what wedge it is a part of?
    Pretty much, yes.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

My shard is WBG zombie monks that seek to understand and accept their end, however many of the older monks have begun to forget their purpose for being(like the cursed in Dark Souls).

Fallen Pedagogue GB
    Creature - Zombie Monk U
    When Fallen Pedagogue enters the battlefield you may return target creature card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on Fallen Pedagogue.
    2/1

Spoiler: More Cards
    Show

Consider Eternity 1WG
    Enchantment U
    At the beginning of your upkeep scry 1, then you may reveal the top and bottom cards of your library, if they share a type put them into your hand.

Sudden Apathy WB
    Instant U
    Exile target tapped creature.
    "Whats the point..."

Scroll Keeper 2G
    Creature - Human Warrior C
    Vigilance
    2/3

Spoiler: Not a wedge
    Show
    Consider the Paths 1WU
    Enchantment U
    At the beginning of your upkeep scry 1, then you may reveal the top and bottom cards of your library, if they share a type put them into your hand.

This is a part of a GWU shard of Monks and Philosophers. Their focused mechanic is dealing with cards on the bottom of the library.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2021-03-09 at 03:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

ElfMonkGuy

Consider the Paths 1WU
    Enchantment U

This is a part of a GWU shard of Monks and Philosophers. Their focused mechanic is dealing with cards on the bottom of the library.
    Not sure if this works for the challenge: as you pointed out, this is for a shard, while the challenge is for wedges specifically (two allied colors and their shared enemy color) You could keep the card by making the wedge WUR, though.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oops forgot the difference between shards and wedges, thanks!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2021-03-06 at 02:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Calling-card Assassin - B(r/w)
    One of Marchesa's assassins watches from around a corner as her target starts crumpling up a letter in anger.
    Creature - Human Assassin U
    Deathtouch
    When Calling-card Assassin enters the battlefield, put a Rage counter on target creature you don't control. (Creatures with Rage attack and block each combat if able.)
    1/2
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-03-12 at 04:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

UBG Shard

Fecund - (Each land you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for {1} or one mana of a color that any land exiled this way could produce if it was on the battlefield)

Sabbath of the Land 3G
    Sorcery (U)
    Fecund - (Each land you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for {1} or one mana of a color that any land exiled this way could produce if it was on the battlefield)
    Search your library for three land cards, reveal those cards, and put one onto the battlefield tapped, one into your hand and one into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

18. - Top - End - #168

Judge mint?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Judge mint?
    Judgement will be up within the next 24 hours.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's a little late, but here it goes:

Spoiler: WBG - Dragon Hunt
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Dragon Hunt WBG
    Instant (R)
    Destroy target creature, then create a number of Scale tokens equal to that creature's mana value. (It's a colorless artifact token with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")
    I like how the flavor strongly gels with Abzan. It's pretty flexible as a removal and combat trick, though I'm not quite sure if this should be rare. With more freedom in where and when to put the counter than Outlast, this can open up more options for aggro plays.

Spoiler: URG - Aethertouched Oracle
    Show
    Aethertouched Oracle URG
    Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, choose one:
    -Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    -Scry 1.
    "To survive the future, we must anticipate it."
    2/2
    From what I'm understanding, mystical always gives a +1/+1 to another Elemental you control. It feels like a souped-up Prowess for most practical purposes, especially when it can turn Aethertouched Oracle into an Elemental lord. It's definitely a flavor win, but I fear targeted prowess (or mass prowess) can go easily out of hand for this archetype. Solid card.

Spoiler: BUG - Resourcefull Apprentice
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Resourceful Apprentice U/G
    Creature - Human U
    Siphon 1 - Create a treasure token (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a treasure token.)
    1/1
    I see where you going for as far as Siphon's flavor is concerned, and that makes perfect sense to me. Resourceful Apprentice looks like a pretty neat showcase, though I feel like the Siphon cost needs to be at least 2 (or G?) since this is an easily repeatable color-fixing effect. I'm also a little surprised that it's U/G instead of U/B, as those are more in line with Treasure creation.

Spoiler: WBG - Fallen Pedagogue
    Show
    Fallen Pedagogue GB
    Creature - Zombie Monk U
    When Fallen Pedagogue enters the battlefield you may return target creature card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on Fallen Pedagogue.
    2/1
    I like the hook that you're going for despite not knowing a thing about Dark Souls lore, but I'm not sure it translates well to your wedge mechanics (or most of your showcase cards, for that matter). I guess this was more challenging since there were no keywords or ability words involved. The bottom of the library is certainly ripe for design exploration, but Fallen Pedagogue feels like its showcasing the graveyard more as a resource in an unconventional way (putting it at the bottom instead of exiling). As a standalone card, Fallen Pedagogue is mechanically alright, and I can even see it in a 2/2 body just fine. I honestly like Consider Eternity better, as I feel it highlights the wedge mechanics more.

Spoiler: BRW - Calling-card Assassin
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Calling-card Assassin - B(r/w)
    One of Marchesa's assassins watches from around a corner as her target starts crumpling up a letter in anger.
    Creature - Human Assassin U
    Deathtouch
    When Calling-card Assassin enters the battlefield, put a Rage counter on target creature you don't control. (Creatures with Rage attack and block each combat if able.)
    1/2
    Calling-card Assassin is a sweet card name, first of all. I'm sold on the idea of permanent sort-of-goading and sort-of-provoking creatures as a WRB mechanics. However, I'm not sure how to feel about monowhite or BW cards generally being able to use force creatures to attack. That aside, Calling-card Assassin is an easy limited pick for me.

Spoiler: UBG - Sabbath of the Land
    Show
    Sabbath of the Land 3G
    Sorcery (U)
    Search your library for three land cards, reveal those cards, and put one onto the battlefield tapped, one into your hand and one into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
    On one hand, fecund looks less powerful than delve. On the other hand, Sabbath of the Land is really good, bonkers even, as it can easily net you 3 fetchlands in the graveyard. This is also in a set where you'll likely have triome-type lands. It's hard to gauge how balanced this card ultimately is without knowing the other BGU cards in the format, especially those with fecund. But it looks so good that I won't be surprised to see a short trip to the ban list.

Spoiler: Honorable Mention
    Show
    Aethertouched Oracle by Personification
    Spoiler: Winner
    Show
    Calling-card Assassin by Dr.Gunsforhands

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    It's a little late, but here it goes:
    Spoiler: URG - Aethertouched Oracle
    Show
    From what I'm understanding, mystical always gives a +1/+1 to another Elemental you control. It feels like a souped-up Prowess for most practical purposes, especially when it can turn Aethertouched Oracle into an Elemental lord. It's definitely a flavor win, but I fear targeted prowess (or mass prowess) can go easily out of hand for this archetype. Solid card.
    Sorry for the confusion
    The intent was actually for mystical to not necessarily always give something +1/+1, just for the mini cycle of signpost lords to do that. At common there would probably be one that gained life or tapped something.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I went for UG because the ramp/mana fixing felt more like a green or simic effect. I might be wrong but I always thought treasure was only mainly grixis for flavor reasons because they were associated with pirates and that's what color pirates are. For the apprentice, treasure token probably doesn't fit as well flavor wise but does exactly what I wanted mechanically.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray! I was pretty happy with how CCA turned out, too.

This week, the design-o-tron demands: A common card with a mana value of 1 that somehow helps you put cards in your graveyard, but doesn't actually use the graveyard as a resource itself.

(Psst, hey, design-o-tron, which colors did you mean to interact with the graveyard theme in this set? ...what do you mean, "Surprise me?")

24. - Top - End - #174

Cursory Glance U
    Sorcery - C
    Surveil 1
    Draw a card.
    "Of course we have a file on you."
    -Lazav the Multifarious

25. - Top - End - #175

GnomeWizardGuy

Tome Rot B
    Sorcery - C
    Mill 8 cards

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Pretty narrow design space and with that, I think it'll be hard for anyone to top Cursory Glance with the surveil version of opt. My first thought turned out to be just a cheaper rotting rats without unearth (filling the graveyard from your hand instead).

Spreading Amnesia U
    Enchantment - C
    Sacrifice a nonland permanent: Mill X where X is the sacrificed permanents converted mana cost

Probably not a common but again, it's already a narrow design space without that.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Encroaching Smothervine G
    {bodies tangled in a sea of kudzu}
    Creature - Plant C
    Deathtouch
    When ~ enters the battlefield, it explores.
    0/2

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin Librarian R
    Creature - Goblin C
    When enters the battlefield or dies, draw two cards, then discard two cards at random.
    "The classification system is FIRE!"
    1/1
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2021-03-15 at 07:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Goblin Librarian R
    Creature - Goblin C
    When enters the battlefield or dies, draw two cards, then discard two cards at random.
    "The classification system is FIRE!"
    1/1
    You do know that faithless looting is banned in modern, right?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Conspiracy Theorist U
    Creature- Human Advisor C
    Whenever Conspiracy Theorist takes damage, each player mills that many cards.
    0/3
    "Don't get them started... 'The pikers, the bears, they're all in on it!' We'll never hear the end of it."