New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Obtaining Magic Stone for a Clockwork Soul

So, I'm currently theorycrafting a Clockwork Soul sorcerer and ran into a bit of a conundrum. Clockwork Soul has access to Tiny Servant, as well as access to extend spell. So once we get to 4th level slots, we can make 3 tiny servants the previous day and have them hang around till supper time the next day.

Three tiny servants, magic stone makes three stones. So in this build I would want magic stone as a nice extra source of BA damage with 0 resource use besides some rocks during the first 8 hours of the adventuring day.

Magic Stone, however, is not on the sorcerer spell list. It is on the Warlock list. From what I can tell there are three ways to get it:

1. Warlock Dip: Delays spell progression, and makes taking 2 or even 3 levels super tempting because Sorlock.

2. Magic Initiate Warlock: uses up an ASI, and gets you non modified eldritch blast plus maybe... Hex? I don't really see Clockwork as a full on blaster type, so Hex plus scorching ray is of limited appeal, and you can already get Armor of Agathys (and upcast it) through Clockwork Soul.

3. Spell Sniper (?): I'm not sure if this would work, but in all honesty if it did I'm not sure how much more benefit I get from it than magic initiate. If I can pick it, the first bullet doesn't apply at all, but the second one seems like it would. Except the attacks aren't coming directly from me so maybe it wouldn't?

So, whole mess of questions:
    1. Are there any options I missed?
    2. Which of these is the best way to get magic stone onto the Clockwork Soul Sorcerer.
    3. How does magic stone interact with Spell Sniper?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Obtaining Magic Stone for a Clockwork Soul

a 1 level dip in warlock would offer the most immediate reward with minimal impact on your ASI progression, though if there was one sorcerer subclass that could conceivably coffeelock it would be the clockwork soul.

that said bear in mind that the magic stone trick peaks for full casters in tier 2. at tier 3 a 6th level creation to summon a cannon becomes more viable as as you can have multiple teams of tiny servants firing it