New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Arcane painter (A wizard sublcasss)

You may be thinking;
    But wait, didn't you already make this subclass for the rogue with the same name?
    And yes, yes I did.
    However I will be replacing a few of my subclasses and revising them in a pdf.
    The replaced subclasses will be; Path of the bell barbarian, Quick knight fighter, Way of the fool monk, arcane artist rogue, and finally witch doctor wizard.
    Anyways here is the revised subclass;

Wizard
    Arcane painter
    These wizards, with brush in hand, paint their canvas with arcane paint that has the ability to shape reality.

Natural painter
    Starting at the 2nd level, you gain proficiency in painter’s supplies.

Arcane brush
    Starting at the 2nd level, you gain the ability to summon a rainbow paintbrush as a bonus action. While wielding the rainbow paintbrush, you can cast the minor illusion and prestidigitation spells at will. You may also use your rainbow paintbrush as a spellcasting focus.

Paint step
    Starting at the 2nd level, you gain the ability to step into paintings which form their own demiplane. Their depth is equal to their width. If the painting is destroyed you take 1d6 force damage and are ejected outside the painting to a space within 5 feet of the painting.

Substitute
    Starting at the 6th level, you can use an action to paint an uncanny substitute of yourself. This substitute has limited movement and cannot attack. While this substitute is visible to a foe you can hide as a bonus action on your turn.

Color thief
    Starting at the 10th level, when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a spell attack using your rainbow paintbrush, instead of killing them you may steal their color to regain a spell slot, making them appear to be made of grey stone, which petrifies them at 1 hit point until a remove curse spell or similar spell is cast on them.

Paint warp
    Starting at the 14th level, when you go inside a painting you may use a bonus action to teleport to a different painting that you have seen within the past day, as long as you could fit in that painting as well.
    Last edited by mcumoric; 2020-12-03 at 03:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Arcane painter (A wizard sublcasss)

How familiar are you with 3.5e d&d? The more of your stuff I see the more I feel your ideas would work better as 5 level prestige classes or class variants for that edition.

Anyway, this subclass is missing the details to explain how your features work:
    • Substitute doesn't actually explain what sort of movement the duplicate is limited to.
    • Color Thief is easily broken, given it doesn't list a limit to either how many times you can use it or what spell slots you can regain. See the "bag of rats" test for vampires as a comparison.
    • Also, can you put items inside a painting using Paint Step?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Arcane painter (A wizard sublcasss)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    How familiar are you with 3.5e d&d? The more of your stuff I see the more I feel your ideas would work better as 5 level prestige classes or class variants for that edition.

Anyway, this subclass is missing the details to explain how your features work:
    • Substitute doesn't actually explain what sort of movement the duplicate is limited to.
    • Color Thief is easily broken, given it doesn't list a limit to either how many times you can use it or what spell slots you can regain. See the "bag of rats" test for vampires as a comparison.
    • Also, can you put items inside a painting using Paint Step?
    Ya, I have never played 3.5. I just play 5e.
    However I really appreciate the input, so thanks.