New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

eek OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Ooooh, I can't wait.

Team Evil is just going to pass through the trap and end up in a completely different place than the heroes, aren't they?

Also confirmation that Monster Hollow replenishes monsters in some magical way.

EDIT: Hey, maybe that's it, the "traps" aren't traps at all but a way to lure monsters from some other plane? Apologies if anyone already proposed that, I didn't really keep up with the latest discussion threads.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-04 at 08:19 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Trouble Approaching!

In which Redcloak jumps to the correct conclusion without exhausting every conceivable and inconceivable possibility!

The traps may also have something to do with monster regeneration, as well as maybe going someplace completely different.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-12-04 at 08:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Weakened by the monsters, as predicted! XD
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, Xykon. You are horrible.
    Also I think Xykon might be having actual fun here. It turns out Kraagor’s tomb, an infinitely regenerating dungeon, has been his true hope ever since
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    he lost the joy of coffee.

I wonder if they could just leave him here and stop worrying.
    I mean, Xykon’s only wanted to take over the world because that’s just what villains do this whole time. But he’s actually happy here! This is the first time we’ve seen him enjoy himself for over a day at most!
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I can understand why Blackwing is the most fun to write.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

And thus Xykon gave up his unlife of villainy to became an adventurer - and the world was saved/doomed.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-12-04 at 08:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Greview has the best life advice, as always.

So Team Evil's dungeon trip has worked as expected: they encountered monsters, but are mostly ignoring that fact. Even Redcloak is talking about "mistake", and doesn't seem to suspect a wide-ranging problem. Xykon and Oona are happy to ignore it altogether.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2020-12-04 at 08:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Team Evil is just going to pass through the trap and end up in a completely different place than the heroes, aren't they?
    Not even that, I wager. They're not even going to see the heroes when they throw open the door, Xykon will make some comment about tipping the heroes off on it, and the good guys are going to realize what's going on.

Elan was right a few comics ago, this is way too early for the climactic battle, too many other plots in the air.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    Not even that, I wager. They're not even going to see the heroes when they throw open the door, Xykon will make some comment about tipping the heroes off on it, and the good guys are going to realize what's going on.

Elan was right a few comics ago, this is way too early for the climactic battle, too many other plots in the air.
    Yes that was how I visualized the scene.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #11

I have had several players who are as dramatic as Blackwing. Not sure if Rich was trying to make that point, but it absolutely fit.
    Also, how long as Team Evil been going through doors? Oona suggests that it has been shorter than several months, and I have lost all sense of time in this comic!

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

I guess, this comic is proof enough that Blackwing can still communicate with the party, despite being away from V. And on the 'wrong' side of the door.

So, wherever this door and the trap leads, it's not a different plane.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I have had several players who are as dramatic as Blackwing. Not sure if Rich was trying to make that point, but it absolutely fit.
    Also, how long as Team Evil been going through doors? Oona suggests that it has been shorter than several months, and I have lost all sense of time in this comic!
    Three days ago, it was about a week since the pyramid exploded.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14

Silly Redcloak, thinking is for lame losers, now follow Xykon into the next den of monsters
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

15. - Top - End - #15

It is fortunate that TE is looking down and trying to follow tracks. But Oona, at least, might well be keeping an eye out. And we know Redcloak is. (Badum-tish!)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    and I have lost all sense of time in this comic!
    "Time loses all meaning when you're on the job." (cit.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I am glad to see Xykon is having the time of his death dungeonnering.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact the Telepathic Bond is still working rules out any interplanar shenanigans at least.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I always suspected that time flows different for avians. And this comic is solid proof of it.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-12-04 at 09:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    The fact the Telepathic Bond is still working rules out any interplanar shenanigans at least.
    It rules out the team having been sent to a different plane, it doesn't rule out that people entering the dungeon could be shifted to a different plane.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    So Team Evil's dungeon trip has worked as expected: they encountered monsters, but are mostly ignoring that fact. Even Redcloak is talking about "mistake", and doesn't seem to suspect a wide-ranging problem. Xykon and Oona are happy to ignore it altogether.
    If they find more than one dungeon with a marked door that has monsters in it still I think Redcloak at least will start to smell a rat. Is the dungeon that the good guys have just gone into marked, did anyone notice?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    It rules out the team having been sent to a different plane, it doesn't rule out that people entering the dungeon could be shifted to a different plane.
    I would say that "the team" is part of the subset "people entering the dungeon".

and "Could" is such a vague noncomittal statement, you can apply it to everything. Technically, what we see also didn't rule out that people who enter the dungeon couldn't have their art style changed to be 3d renderings.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I'm pretty certain that restoring the trap severed the link. Actually no. Rereading it that is possible but uncertain. I initially interpreted, "Hey! Uh, hey, everyone? No more joking around...", as Blackwing trying to tell them but being a bit weirded out by a lack of response. But I don't think that is clear, that could be something that is happening but the party could be acting off of Blackwings info in panel six. Just nobody explicitly acknowledges that Xykon and company are almost there. And Heroinism and Stoneskin have long enough durations that they don't need to worry about them running out before the fight.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingRangerGuy

Hmm. It would be meaningless - indeed, harmful - to cast buffing spells if one were not expecting at least a scuffle, but I fail to see what the Order gains by engaging at this point. I suppose they could buff in CASE of a scuffle, but still hope to avoid one. Even an ambush by the Order seems unlikely to accomplish much for the Order. At best they could incapacitate Redcloak (killing him works against them) or kill Oona/Greyview...and either might rely on the MitD choosing now to step in and help the good guys. IF that were to happen, they might stand a chance against Xykon...but then even if they manage that, I would think it would be all the more difficult to sway Redcloak.

Granted, I've had five minutes or so thinking this all through, which is more time than they've had, so they've probably not considered all the possible outcomes (if anyone, V and/or Roy.) From my current perspective, it seems to me the Order is playing a strange game when the only winning move seems to be to not play at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Isn't it also possible (from Redcloak's perspective) that some of the passages are connected? That TE missed a hidden door that connects them?
    Last edited by Slesk; 2020-12-04 at 09:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Xykon's a bit more childish than usual IMO.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"The dog knows what's up"

I've never had respect for Xykon before, but my estimation has gone up with his demonstration of a proper respect for the wisdom of Greyview!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I'm pretty certain that restoring the trap severed the link. Actually no. Rereading it that is possible but uncertain. I initially interpreted, "Hey! Uh, hey, everyone? No more joking around...", as Blackwing trying to tell them but being a bit weirded out by a lack of response. But I don't think that is clear, that could be something that is happening but the party could be acting off of Blackwings info in panel six. Just nobody explicitly acknowledges that Xykon and company are almost there. And Heroinism and Stoneskin have long enough durations that they don't need to worry about them running out before the fight.
    I don't necessarily read it that way. Not impossible, but I read Roy's order to cast medium term buffs as a reaction to Blackwing's report, since he didn't say how far away Team Evil was, just that they were headed in the the Order's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Hmm. It would be meaningless - indeed, harmful - to cast buffing spells if one were not expecting at least a scuffle, but I fail to see what the Order gains by engaging at this point. I suppose they could buff in CASE of a scuffle, but still hope to avoid one. Even an ambush by the Order seems unlikely to accomplish much for the Order. At best they could incapacitate Redcloak (killing him works against them) or kill Oona/Greyview...and either might rely on the MitD choosing now to step in and help the good guys. IF that were to happen, they might stand a chance against Xykon...but then even if they manage that, I would think it would be all the more difficult to sway Redcloak.

Granted, I've had five minutes or so thinking this all through, which is more time than they've had, so they've probably not considered all the possible outcomes (if anyone, V and/or Roy.) From my current perspective, it seems to me the Order is playing a strange game when the only winning move seems to be to not play at all.
    I see it as Roy mainly being prepared if Team Evil sees through the bluff about which door they went in. Even if the Order retreats, they'll need buffs to survive long enough to do it.

29. - Top - End - #29

GreataxeFighterGirl

Great to see the Order strategizing. Love Elan and Haley's moment.

Good (bad?) to see Redcloak thinking his way out as well, and I like his and Oona's casual conversation.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I see it as Roy mainly being prepared if Team Evil sees through the bluff about which door they went in. Even if the Order retreats, they'll need buffs to survive long enough to do it.
    Where would they even retreat to, though?