New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    Only thing you ever need to keep a dungeon stocked is a deepspawn. Heck, feed it some trapsmiths and engineers and it can keep it maintained too.
    Serini's theme for the gate was dungeons and monsters so it makes sense that her system IS a classic dungeon monster.
    If Rich wanted to borrow an idea from 13th Age, there is a class of creature that is a sentient dungeon. I've got the supplement/adventure "Eyes of the Stone Thief" - quite honestly, I got it for two reasons: it was at a reduced rate, and having read through the 13th Age book I didn't quite "get" what a sentient dungeon was or could be.

I am so glad I got it. They presented a neat idea of a dungeon as a thing in itself, that is sentient. (It seems to make the dungeon crawl an almost meta dungeon crawl ...). Some day, I'd like to run that ... some day ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-15 at 08:40 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #362

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Them's fightin' words.
    Now now, you know we do have discussions about the comic on occasion.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Now now, you know we do have discussions about the comic on occasion.
    Sure, but not on page 13 of the main thread.

Page 13 is reserved for 90s movies with Jeff Goldblum, Nic Cage, or Antonio Bandaras.
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-12-15 at 12:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Sure, but not on page 13 of the main thread.

Page 13 is reserved for 90s movies with Jeff Goldblum, Nic Cage, or Antonio Bandaras.
    I have never seen any of those discussed before. Ever. We should be onto Oracle denialism and whether Darth Revans mind-rewrite was morally justified (spoiler: it wasn't)

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I have never seen any of those discussed before. Ever. We should be onto Oracle denialism and whether Darth Revans mind-rewrite was morally justified (spoiler: it wasn't)
    But would a mind rewrite of Nic Cage be justified?

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mormon_soldier View Post
    But would a mind rewrite of Nic Cage be justified?
    No. He's a unique talent, who has been in some memorable movies and in some forgettable ones. Nic needs to be Nic. That's exactly who he's supposed to be.

(One his roles that I found unforgettable was in a film I saw in an 'arty' theater some years back: Birdy)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Accounting Department!
    “Hmm? Oh, sorry, sorry. We’re a bit disused recently. What is the problem?”

Yeah, a sentient magical system was pretty fun.
    ~Xel

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

If Rich wanted to borrow an idea from 13th Age, there is a class of creature that is a sentient dungeon. I've got the supplement/adventure "Eyes of the Stone Thief" - quite honestly, I got it for two reasons: it was at a reduced rate, and having read through the 13th Age book I didn't quite "get" what a sentient dungeon was or could be.

I am so glad I got it. They presented a neat idea of a dungeon as a thing in itself, that is sentient. (It seems to make the dungeon crawl an almost meta dungeon crawl ...). Some day, I'd like to run that ... some day ...
    Reminds me of Castle Heterodyne from the Girl Genius Webcomic. Essentially a Sentient Construct/Creature of some sort, that actively works to defend itself.
    I don't think that's what this dungeon is, however, as I believe we'd have been introduced to that concept far earlier, but it is an enticing concept.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    Reminds me of Castle Heterodyne from the Girl Genius Webcomic. Essentially a Sentient Construct/Creature of some sort, that actively works to defend itself.
    I don't think that's what this dungeon is, however, as I believe we'd have been introduced to that concept far earlier, but it is an enticing concept.
    Regarding your signature: hey Korean webtoons. Granted I don't read either of them but I've heard ToG is really really freaking big in both the Korean and English speaking communities.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #370

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Regarding your signature: hey Korean webtoons. Granted I don't read either of them but I've heard ToG is really really freaking big in both the Korean and English speaking communities.
    It's pretty huge. I think it recently got an anime adaption on Crunchyroll.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    In a jolly homicidal way.
    Zola: Avoid any floorstone marked in white. It is a trap that will kill you.
    Do not stand under any part of the ceiling marked in white. It is a trap that will kill you.
    Duck under any opening taller than one meter. It is a trap that will kill you.
    Do not touch any metal surface. It is a trap that will kill you.

Redshirt #1: Are you trying to frighten us?

Zola: Yes! This place is dangerous, twisted, and worst of all—

Redshirt #2: Hey, a gold piece! [reaches for coin on floor]

Zola: NO!!

[Pit trap opens with a CLANG]

Redshirt #2: AAAAAAAA [i.e. Wilhelm scream as he falls]

Zola: It likes to think it has a sense of humor.
    And it also has a spatial connectivity that changes, which is what I think is going on with this dungeon.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-12-16 at 12:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Don't forget that it's so cheerful about getting to do its job. Especially when it discovers it has a hero to play with.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    In a jolly homicidal way.

And it also has a spatial connectivity that changes, which is what I think is going on with this dungeon.
    You forgot to say that the pit trap includes a little column to keep the gold coin at floor level so that it's still there when the trap resets. I always liked this detail.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #374

Well you don't want to waste good bait.

15. - Top - End - #375

Don't forget that it's so cheerful about getting to do its job. Especially when it discovers it has a hero to play with.
    For example.

16. - Top - End - #376

A sentient dungeon is one of the playable sides in Vast: The Crystal Caverns. It wins by making rocks fall so everyone dies. Along the way it may help individual players but only to prevent others from winning. It basically hates everyone.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2020-12-19 at 04:50 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

17. - Top - End - #377

So, again, Castle Heterodyne.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    It is quite explicitly stated in Dungeons and Dragons that permanent magical traps and effects are, well, permanent. Any energy cost system involved is not addressed, and addressing it would require addressing why Wizards and Sorcerers can do their thing without eating dozens of Big Macs to fuel their magic. I personally believe that the Gates themselves require maintenance, since the gods themselves can't keep the rifts shut permanently (and hence mortals can't either), but perpetual magic is perpetual, by the rules.
    "Permanent" does not need to mean "eternal" in the OOTSverse. The current world, like all of the worlds before it, has an expected lifespan of only several millennia--Thor said "a few thousand" as opposed to "tens of thousands" of years. Anything that is 90% likely to last until the unraveling of the world in which it was created is more than sufficient for "permanence" within the Prime Material Plane. The Gates were never meant to last infinitely, but they could have stood for a thousand years or more if nobody had demolished them.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    "Permanent" does not need to mean "eternal" in the OOTSverse. The current world, like all of the worlds before it, has an expected lifespan of only several millennia--Thor said "a few thousand" as opposed to "tens of thousands" of years. Anything that is 90% likely to last until the unraveling of the world in which it was created is more than sufficient for "permanence" within the Prime Material Plane. The Gates were never meant to last infinitely, but they could have stood for a thousand years or more if nobody had demolished them.
    I feel the need to point out that the very reason for the Gates was to stop the Snarl from unraveling the world, wasn't it?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #380

Well, slow it down. The Gates don't prevent new Rifts from forming.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Well, slow it down. The Gates don't prevent new Rifts from forming.
    Yep, the gates could be perfect and indestructible, and the world would still be doomed within a few thousand years at most. This is one reason that "trick or convince Red Cloak into helping with the ritual to make new seals" is unlikely to be the solution, because in the long run it doesn't really solve anything.

Heroes in this sort of story typically WIN and SOLVE THE PROBLEM, they very rarely create sealed evil in a can to kick the problem down the road another thousand years.

New seals from Red Cloak is mostly just kicking the problems down the road.

If they can get the Dark One fully on board with preserving the current universe, that might be a win condition (although it still leaves the dwarves and Hel's messed up situation), but I'm betting that Thor's plan was a way to info-dump the actual situation, and not the solution that will be found.

22. - Top - End - #382

The plan with Redcloak is proof of concept: using the new quiddity to create stronger patches. If it works, eventually they'll replace the entire 3 quiddity prison with 4 quiddity patches.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

If they get TDO on board fully they can have his clerics help with spot-welding the new Rifts when they appear even long after Redcloak passes away, presumably.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    If they get TDO on board fully they can have his clerics help with spot-welding the new Rifts when they appear even long after Redcloak passes away, presumably.
    (Can Redcloak even pass away if he continues to wear the Mantle?)

25. - Top - End - #385

Well, we know his master was killed, and his master, and her master...

Now, if you're asking about natural causes, well, I doubt even The Dark One knows.

26. - Top - End - #386

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Heroes in this sort of story typically WIN and SOLVE THE PROBLEM,
    I’ve been watching a lot of comic book movies lately, and it seems like heroes in this kind of story never solve the problem for very long.

For example, every few months a new movie comes out and they have to save the world all over again.

Heck, I think Batman has been fighting The Joker in the comics for nearly a century, and he seems no closer to winning now than when he started!

So if the heroes in THIS story only have to save the world once every 2,000 years, I think they’re doing pretty darn good compared to most comic heroes in most comic hero stories.
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-12-30 at 12:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I’ve been watching a lot of comic book movies lately, and it seems like heroes in this kind of story never solve the problem for very long.
    "The original cuneiform says 'DO NOT OPEN THIS BOTTLE'. That's kind of scuffed up, and there's the later Egyptian inscription which says 'SERIOUSLY, YOU WILL REGRET IT'. At least, that's what we think it says, a few bits are chipped off. Then there's the lead seal with the runes saying 'IN THE NAME OF THE GODS I BEG YOU TO LEAVE THIS UNDISTURBED'. So what do you think?"

"I think we need to drill a small hole so we can get a microsample of the contents."

28. - Top - End - #388

So scientists are PCs? Is that what you're telling us?

29. - Top - End - #389

Something like that.

Several of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels involve wizards' compulsion to violate such warnings. And of course there's the Hitch-Hiker's Guide:

Arthur Dent: This is my idea of a spaceship, all gleaming white, flashing lights, everything. What happens if I press this button?
    Ford Prefect: I wouldn't—
    [*electronic bleep*]
    Arthur Dent: Oh.
    Ford Prefect: What happened?
    Arthur Dent: A sign lit up, saying 'Please do not press this button again.'
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-12-30 at 11:31 PM.