New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

Can't wait to see what kind of can of worms Haley just opened!

Also can't wait to see if Redcloak acts on the door thing now, or if it just kind of sits for a while until MitD shows up again.

Current prediction is that TE will come in through the door, and just when the Order is revving up to charge, the trap activates again, teleporting them elsewhere.
    B's short for Blatant. My friends call me "Blat."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So, Blackwings starting monologue... what is it parodying? It sound awfully familiar.
    It is a bit like Rorschach's journal entries from Watchmen, but the reference to the kid and the wife seem to be very un-Rorschachlike.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Where would they even retreat to, though?
    The tunnel/dungeon that's directly behind them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

People saying that the telepathic link still working rules out the Order being in another dimension are missing the fact that the Giant will only abide by that rule if it's not a bother.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

They won the first encounter in the original dungeon because team evil was playing them and needed them alive to destroy the gate's defenses.

But ever since?
    Every encounter they had was a total loss. They lost the soul splice duel, they barely handled a single 9th level spell slot in the desert (Elemental) and sure there were some extenuating circumstances, if they go into battle with team evil now they are pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Things will need to change, the party will need to upgrade and most likely team evil will have to go through some changes before they can get to a fight (Most likely Redcloak's obvious side switching)

P.S
    I have to say, while Redcloak guessing a door was marked by accident is certainly a good guess and is far more likely of him to think of that than actual sabotage from the Monster in the Dark.

Still pondering if he won't question someone else sabotaging their efforts. Like maybe Durkon has been around more than he told him.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    The tunnel/dungeon that's directly behind them.
    Yeah, and when TE follows? Retreating only works if you can get enough space to lose pursuit.

Hard to do that in a narrow corridor at close range.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2020-12-04 at 10:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Xykon dismissing the discrepancy should have been a given, I guess...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Yeah, and when TE follows? Retreating only works if you can get enough space to lose pursuit.

Hard to do that in a narrow corridor at close range.
    1. The tried and tested strategy of "Run away"
    2. Throw something at them to distract/delay before running.
    3. We don't know what is inside. Forks or branches in the tunnel.

Either way, the point is they can still retreat down the tunnel, even if Team Evil is right at their heels.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by glowface View Post
    So, Blackwings starting monologue... what is it parodying? It sound awfully familiar.
    It is a bit like Rorschach's journal entries from Watchmen, but the reference to the kid and the wife seem to be very un-Rorschachlike.
    That's from old black and white film noir detective movies. They usually start with the detective giving a monologue to himself in his office, when a mysterious woman walks in with a case.

I don't know any specific titles, since I've never seen any originals, but it's very frequently parodied in sci-fi and in cartoons. The various Star Trek series did several holodeck episodes where the officers would be cos-playing it in the holodeck.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Every encounter they had was a total loss. They lost the soul splice duel, they barely handled a single 9th level spell slot in the desert (Elemental) and sure there were some extenuating circumstances, if they go into battle with team evil now they are pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Things will need to change, the party will need to upgrade and most likely team evil will have to go through some changes before they can get to a fight (Most likely Redcloak's obvious side switching)
    I mean, you're not wrong that the Order is probably not quite ready to take on Team Evil, but I think you're underselling just how extenuating those circumstances were, and how much things have changed.

In the desert, they were completely without their most powerful party member, their second most powerful party member was a late arrival and with minimal magic left, Belkar was point of damage away from death (and with a bunch of other penalties), a lot of them had already taken good amounts of damage and they were suddenly thrust into a fight they were completely unprepared for.

Here? They have their full party, they've come here with the explicit expectation that a fight against Xykon might happen, they have a bonus party member too, they have additional levels that they've earned since the desert (gotta figure they earned a bunch during the whole Hel plot), and they're just a more cohesive group as a whole. They've taken some damage and expended some spells so far, but so has Team Evil.

Basically, if there was a fight right now (odds are there won't be), I figure that OOTS would stand a puncher's chance of winning. Things go their way, a bit of luck, some good rolls, and maybe they could squeeze out a victory. But it wouldn't be likely at all.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    People saying that the telepathic link still working rules out the Order being in another dimension are missing the fact that the Giant will only abide by that rule if it's not a bother.
    Assuming that the gate is on the same plane as the other gates then it would make sense for a trap to send people to another plane and a bypassed trap not to (bypassing a trap in order for it to trigger would be somewhat odd) this would also fit with Roy questioning how the dungeons could be mapped - if anything like that is occuring.
    I would point out that the sound of disarming the trap was 'Won' which might be an indication that the Order is on the right track - or could be nothing.

Seperately I do have to wonder if the order is not being a little to prepared for their own good - if Belkar clearing the tracks has Team Evil not find the right door and Team Evil knows that magic exists that could have let the dwarves get fairly far away, well they could just wander off and bulk up their defences meaning that all the spells that the order are using are effectively wasted for today unless they act in pseudo short order.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, yes, that's the only logical conclusion, because the other logical conclusion- that the wrong door was marked deliberately- would have such profoundly unacceptable implications! Namely, that the Marker in the Darkness is actively working against your goals for some reason, which would possibly make him the Mole in the Darkness! (Yes, I'm just seeing how many variations on MitD I can get away with in one paragraph before the theme falls apart.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

TE was not in the other dungeon very long, i guess only for one encounter? mostly verifying that they were misled, in more ways than one.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Just reviewing again - seems from the looks on panel 6 that their might still be some bad blood between Roy and Durkon, which is to be expected but nice artistic touch I think.

15. - Top - End - #45

Chimera

Xykon knows what it's about.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I wonder what a Beast Mistress such as Oona could do with a familar telepathically linked to all of Team Good. I fear this might be a vulnerabiity.

17. - Top - End - #47

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blatt View Post
    I wonder what a Beast Mistress such as Oona could do with a familar telepathically linked to all of Team Good. I fear this might be a vulnerabiity.
    I probably shouldn't weigh in on this, because I haven't read the PHB for a year or so, but I'm pretty sure familiars count as a magical creature and would be immune to Beastmaster-type domination. The familiar is already magically linked to another spell-user. But, I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Blatt View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried... *pop*
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I expected they would flee down the corridor to avoid being found immediately behind the door. Instead, they are hanging around just in case Evil Team picks the right door. However, my bardic senses tell me this is not yet the moment for the final confrontation... Therefore, I assume we will see the "trap" in action on Evil Team, and this will prevent any fight from happening. Looking forward to it!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Wait... Team Evil cleared out an entire high level dungeon in two or three minutes? 47 seconds since closing the door, Haley took a minute to disable the trap, unclear how long Durkon and Minrah were in stone but the Order was seemingly running down the cliff right after hearing the maximized fireball explode, so not *that* long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Wait... Team Evil cleared out an entire high level dungeon in two or three minutes? 47 seconds since closing the door, Haley took a minute to disable the trap, unclear how long Durkon and Minrah were in stone but the Order was seemingly running down the cliff right after hearing the maximized fireball explode, so not *that* long.
    Whether they cleared it or not is open to interpretation Greyview might have lead them out before they got very far.

However 2 minutes is 20 rounds - I imagine that Xykon and Redcloak could clear quite a lot in that time especially if they have a lot of practice with these dungeons.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-12-04 at 11:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Or greyview caught up after they encountered some monsters. No need to go through it all.
    Can the Order still use Wind Walk by the way?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    I mean, you're not wrong that the Order is probably not quite ready to take on Team Evil, but I think you're underselling just how extenuating those circumstances were, and how much things have changed.

In the desert, they were completely without their most powerful party member, their second most powerful party member was a late arrival and with minimal magic left, Belkar was point of damage away from death (and with a bunch of other penalties), a lot of them had already taken good amounts of damage and they were suddenly thrust into a fight they were completely unprepared for.

Here? They have their full party, they've come here with the explicit expectation that a fight against Xykon might happen, they have a bonus party member too, they have additional levels that they've earned since the desert (gotta figure they earned a bunch during the whole Hel plot), and they're just a more cohesive group as a whole. They've taken some damage and expended some spells so far, but so has Team Evil.

Basically, if there was a fight right now (odds are there won't be), I figure that OOTS would stand a puncher's chance of winning. Things go their way, a bit of luck, some good rolls, and maybe they could squeeze out a victory. But it wouldn't be likely at all.
    In mechanic terms, it is in fact unlikely, if not flat out “rocks fall everyone dies” levels of impossible for the Order to take on Xykon even now because of the sheer number of their options that he’s immune to. In Start of Darkness we’ve seen he has a ring that makes him immune to positive energy(so no Heal bombs), he’s got an item that makes him immune to fire and as a lich he’s also immune to cold and electricity damage, undead can’t be sneak attacked and he has so much DR Haley or Belkar would have trouble so much scratching him. Oh, and he has Boots of Free Movement so the Hand spells don’t work and throwing him into a Gate isn’t an option either.

Roy might be able to pull a Spellsplinter Maneuver once at the climax, but if my suspicions are correct and it works similarly to Mage Slayer or the like then only narrative causality would make it work; even Durkula was able to cast through it once and Xykon’s much stronger.

And this is all before the rest of Team Evil. It’s why I’m betting that Xykon gets taken out by somebody Bull Rushing him into a rift and getting eaten by the Snarl; because there is practically no way for him to lose otherwise.

If this was an actual game and I saw his stats, I’d call BS.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I am not sure why it hasnt been mentioned but this could mean that the Mitd´s plan has been noticed. Lets hope Redcloak doesnt realize who the perpetrator is.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

25. - Top - End - #55
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Also I think Xykon might be having actual fun here.
    He can actually gain XP and relevant loot in some of these, so yes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Blackwing and V are great.
    Maybe they should work as comedians when all this is over.
    Haley and Elan are almost sickenly sweet though.
    Or maybe it's the candy I ate.

And Xykon shows that you're never too old to learn something new.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Can the Order still use Wind Walk by the way?
    Possibly but I wouldn't bet on it - it would have been a convenient method for Durkon and Minrah to escape but they did not use it so it is likely not available any longer, but who knows.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    However 2 minutes is 12 rounds - I imagine that Xykon and Redcloak could clear quite a lot in that time especially if they have a lot of practice with these dungeons.
    I'm pretty sure 2 minutes is actually 20 rounds, so even more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    They're actually wagering G P's from monster-san's scrabble stash.
    See what I quoted here: Quotes from Fyraltari
    Also this post from Fyraltari.
    See this post from Mortsdeer.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sillymel View Post
    I'm pretty sure 2 minutes is actually 20 rounds, so even more time.
    True and corrected.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by BelgarathMTH View Post
    That's from old black and white film noir detective movies. They usually start with the detective giving a monologue to himself in his office, when a mysterious woman walks in with a case.

I don't know any specific titles, since I've never seen any originals, but it's very frequently parodied in sci-fi and in cartoons. The various Star Trek series did several holodeck episodes where the officers would be cos-playing it in the holodeck.
    You can take it a step further. The opening narration in many Trek episodes where someone is dictating a log entry is a riff on the theme.