New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Post Re: OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

I'm honestly starting to think Oona knows something is up and just doesn't care. Like, I don't think she wouldn't notice that the monsters shouldn't be respawning since she's so familiar with the dungeon.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1221 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's unclear why he would, though? Even if he figures out that doors are getting marked that shouldn't be, then given how childish the MitD generally seems to be, he'd probably mark it up to a genuine error or stupidity rather than an active attempt to block what they're doing.
    MitD: "But Redcloak, I was only trying to help! We were dealing with the dungeons LOTS faster this way!"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I mean, Redcloak at this point probably can start piecing things together I feel. The main reason he hasn't is because he didn't really bothered paying attention to the MITD, but if he can recall all the other times MITD undermined Team Evil I think there's a good chance he will know something is up. Like, he's been acting suspicious for a while, it's more the case of Recloak never really taking the time to look into anything MITD did, but if he was responsible for this major of a delay I'm sure that could change.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelgarathMTH View Post
    That's from old black and white film noir detective movies. They usually start with the detective giving a monologue to himself in his office, when a mysterious woman walks in with a case.

I don't know any specific titles, since I've never seen any originals, but it's very frequently parodied in sci-fi and in cartoons. The various Star Trek series did several holodeck episodes where the officers would be cos-playing it in the holodeck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    And the Calvin and Hobbes strips with "Tracer Bullet".

You are confusing the Chandleresque private detective genre, with the police procedural genre (which can sometimes include police detective stories). Blackwing is solidly in the latter.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by glowface View Post
    So, Blackwings starting monologue... what is it parodying? It sound awfully familiar.
    It is a bit like Rorschach's journal entries from Watchmen, but the reference to the kid and the wife seem to be very un-Rorschachlike.
    I don't think it's anything specific, just some generic hard-boiled cop dialogue, but it could be something I don't recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    And this is all before the rest of Team Evil. It’s why I’m betting that Xykon gets taken out by somebody Bull Rushing him into a rift and getting eaten by the Snarl; because there is practically no way for him to lose otherwise.
    I wonder if MITD could do it. And if that will be the moment of his great emergence from the shadows.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    What if the "If Redcloak ever betrays me" Suggestion isn't a Chekov's Gun, but an ironic red herring, because it will be MITD who betrays Xykon in the end?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Nobody said they cleared the dungeon. All they have to do is kill the first encounter and leave since it's clear the dwarves didn't go that way.

And to answer your question, Team Evil disarms traps by triggering them and tanking the effects with massive buff use.
    Xykon says they killed the monsters and took their stuff.

Doesn't seem to add up. The first tomb dungeon took Team Evil "a few hours" yet this one apparently was... not much of anything?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post

Doesn't seem to add up. The first tomb dungeon took Team Evil "a few hours" yet this one apparently was... not much of anything?
    I think Xykon was saying that they took care of the encounter not the whole dungeon, that is the "active monsters" Redcloak was referring to. If they had gone through the whole dungeon I think Redcloak would have said "fully stocked dungeon" or something similar.
    Last edited by catagent101; 2020-12-04 at 10:30 PM.
    mew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I have to admit, this strip makes me feel sympathy for Redcloak. As the only one on Team Evil with a functioning brain cell, he reminds me of the kid with glasses who always did all the work on group projects in school.
    A role that was addressed here.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    *Hell parties that suspiciously resonnate with each other:
    Soon/Shoulderpad Guy?/Roy/Nale
    Girard/Jacinda/Haley/Sabine
    Serini/Tarquin/Elan/Thog
    Dorukan/Laurin/Vaarsuvius/Zz'dtri
    Lirian/Malack/Durkon/Hilgya
    Kraagor/Miron/Belkar/Yikyik
    I will ask you to explain this.
    How do you make this equivalences?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Agree with your last---though I think I'd have flipped the table and left before then, Settlers of Catan-style. Still fun to read and discuss, obviously.
    It’s less about Xykon’s stats in and of themselves(especially since he’s a single-classed Sorcerer; the benefits from getting more levels beyond 20 are rather minimal) and more about in comparison to the Order. A decently optimized level 20 party could take him on fairly easy without even breaking out the real cheese. The Order is both less leveled and less optimized than that though, and he almost specifically counters everyone besides the clerics and Roy.

Sunburst, Disintegrate, Undeath to Death, Destruction (?), Durkon's Hammer, Roy's Sword, the Paladins Smiting Evil if they ever show up again. The Order doesn't lack for things to cause damage to Xykon. The question, obviously, is how to do enough damage to turn him off before he totally mows down their team. It's a tall order.
    Sunburst would probably work. V has an extremely poor track record with touch attacks and I’m pretty sure Undeath to Death is necromancy(which V barred). And the melee attacks have the slight drawback of needing to hit, and Xykon’s AC is at least in the high 30s if not higher.

To be honest, an epic leveled-version of Redcloak would be far easier to fight with the Order even with all the various defensive cleric spells. That probably wouldn’t flat-out ignore almost everything they have to do.

On another point, I don't think killing RedCloak is a reasonable possibility. Thor et al, need a 9th level spell from that quiddity. RedCloak is it for that possibility. Kill him and Rez him---assuming he even comes back, or that he's killed in a manner where Rez is possible---and will he lose enough XP to drop below 17th Level?
    It’s better for his character arc for him to survive, but that’s including SoD and not everyone’s aware of what happened in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I wonder if MITD could do it. And if that will be the moment of his great emergence from the shadows.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    What if the "If Redcloak ever betrays me" Suggestion isn't a Chekov's Gun, but an ironic red herring, because it will be MITD who betrays Xykon in the end?
    Hmm, I don’t know. I think the Order also needs a good climax and this would steal the spotlight a bit too much. Though there might be build-up to that I dunno.

Also I favor my headcanon because “yeeted into a Gate” was how Roy defeated Xykon the first time, so it’d be poetic that it’d be how he defeats Xykon the last time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I think there are aspects that are spread about. For example, Roy is a smart leader and a melee combatant; Nale is an intelligent leader but less good at melee, Thog’s excellent at melee but is sharp as a bag of wet mice. Girard is a Cha-based caster and dual wielding Ranger; Belkar is a dual wielding Ranger and Elan and Nale are Cha-based casters, etc.

You could probably write an essay about the similarities and differences between the four major adventuring groups, actually, but I’ve never gotten around to that just yet.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2020-12-05 at 12:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

I guess the Silence spell didn't really do much of anything, ah well.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

12. - Top - End - #132

Dorukan/Laurin/Vaarsuvius/Zz'dtri
    Lirian/Malack/Durkon/Hilgya
    Kraagor/Miron/Belkar/Yikyik
    Somehow, with some compromise, I feel these three parties could actually get stuff done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    I'm honestly starting to think Oona knows something is up and just doesn't care. Like, I don't think she wouldn't notice that the monsters shouldn't be respawning since she's so familiar with the dungeon.
    In the last panel is Oona pointing at Blackwing? If so, could Oona be referring to Blackwing as a monster that Monster Hollow has made and better than previous monsters? The exclamation marks indicate more stress than her dialog in the previous panel although she is prone to using them quite often.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Wait... why is everyone talking about the Order possibly being plane shifted or teleported (and the evidence against this)? I thought the function of the Entrance Trap was obvious: You get teleported if you step through it while it's active. The corridor with the yellowish floor, where the Order is currently located, is the one actually inside the mountain, the one actually behind the door. So the Order didn't go anywhere. They are exactly where they think they are. The corridor with the dark(er) green floor, matching the first few meters behind the entrance, isn't actually inside the mountain - it's in a different location, and you get teleported to that location when you pass through the active trap. Also, the active trap makes you see this remote location when looking in from the entrance, rather than seeing what is actually there (the yellowish floor).

So all of the dungeons that Team Evil cleared, are not actually located inside the mountain. They are places that Team Evil got teleported to. The Gate isn't at the end of any of the dungeons because the dungeons are not what is actually behind the doors. The first people to see what is actually behind one of the doors are the Order.

Now that the trap is active again, when Team Evil opens the door they will see what the Order originally saw - the corridor with the dark(er) green floor - and they will get teleported into that corridor by the trap. The Order will see them vanish as they walk past the trap line. Then the Order will realize what's going on (once the initial shock wears off), they will explore the real corridor that they are in, and they will find... something. Not the Gate, I assume, but something else that's actually hidden inside this mountain. Presumably something related to the mysterious voices that took Lien and O-Chul.
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

15. - Top - End - #135

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post

Maybe they didn't clear out the dungeon entirely, just the first few encounters.

16. - Top - End - #136

So...MITD doesn't seem to be with Team Evil for this one. Wonder what he's up to and why they didn't bring him along?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Because they just sorta stumbled into Durkon, there wasn't any time to get MITD cause Xykon was caught by surprise. Considering how good Xykon's hearing is and how unaware MITD usually behaves, I assume he's not aware there's a fight going on.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Maybe they didn't clear out the dungeon entirely, just the first few encounters.
    Seems very likely that they had one encounter, and as soon as that finished, Greyview was able to let them know they were in the wrong place so they backed out.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Somehow, with some compromise, I feel these three parties could actually get stuff done.
    You quote me but attribute it to danielxcutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Roy:
    -Soon: the Lawful Good leader of his party, mostly mêlée-oriented.
    -Shoulderpad Guy: mostly by process of elimination, but seems mêlée oriented at least.
    -Nale: leader of his group, Lawful(?) Evil, moulded by his adversarial relationship with his father, tries to kill his brother (Roy is haunted by failing to save his), self-centered (Roy has trouble paying attention to people who aren't related to his problems).

Haley:
    -Girard: Sneaky-type second-in-command with a stormy relationship with his leader.
    -Jacinda: Sneaky-type (not much to go on with).
    -Sabine: Sneaky-type second-in-command.

Elan:
    -Serini: most good-natured member of the team, wishes everyone would just get along.
    -Tarquin: Literally just older Elan but older, a control-freak and mêlée-based.
    -Thog: childish member of the team.

Vaarsuvius:
    -Dorukan: Wizard best mentality, magic solves everything mentality.
    -Laurin: Magic user who favors a "more firepower" approach to combat.
    -Zz'dtri: taciturn (vs loquacious) elf wizard.

Durkon:
    -Lirian: Divine caster.
    -Malack: a cleric very devoted to his deity and friends
    -Hilgya: Dwarf cleric of an ennemy god, takes Durkon's exact opposite attitude when it comes to dwarfdom.

Belkar:
    -Kraagor: mostly elimination, mêlée-based and seems toenjoy fighting.
    -Miron: lackadaisical, greedy, cruel (is willing to torture somebody to no-apprent gain, at least).
    -Yikyik: Scaly Belkar.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-05 at 06:05 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edric O View Post
    Wait... why is everyone talking about the Order possibly being plane shifted or teleported (and the evidence against this)? I thought the function of the Entrance Trap was obvious: You get teleported if you step through it while it's active. The corridor with the yellowish floor, where the Order is currently located, is the one actually inside the mountain, the one actually behind the door. So the Order didn't go anywhere. They are exactly where they think they are. The corridor with the dark(er) green floor, matching the first few meters behind the entrance, isn't actually inside the mountain - it's in a different location, and you get teleported to that location when you pass through the active trap. Also, the active trap makes you see this remote location when looking in from the entrance, rather than seeing what is actually there (the yellowish floor).

So all of the dungeons that Team Evil cleared, are not actually located inside the mountain. They are places that Team Evil got teleported to. The Gate isn't at the end of any of the dungeons because the dungeons are not what is actually behind the doors. The first people to see what is actually behind one of the doors are the Order.

Now that the trap is active again, when Team Evil opens the door they will see what the Order originally saw - the corridor with the dark(er) green floor - and they will get teleported into that corridor by the trap. The Order will see them vanish as they walk past the trap line. Then the Order will realize what's going on (once the initial shock wears off), they will explore the real corridor that they are in, and they will find... something. Not the Gate, I assume, but something else that's actually hidden inside this mountain. Presumably something related to the mysterious voices that took Lien and O-Chul.
    Because Team Evil in general have enough good saves that they'd have made one by now. Teleportation is basically always Will(negates) and both Xykon and Redcloak should have at least good bonuses, even if we ignore the MitD. And even if they blew every single save so far they'd know they had a saving throw; only certain effects like scrying spells don't let the target know they made one I believe.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't tell whether or not Xykon has sussed this out and just doesn't care or isn't showing his hand.

And that's kinda scaring me.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    I can't tell whether or not Xykon has sussed this out and just doesn't care or isn't showing his hand.

And that's kinda scaring me.
    First of all TIL that "sus" precedes Among Us.

Second, while Xykon has said "Don't confuse not caring with not knowing" and his Bluff modifier is likely in the low stratosphere, I can't see why he'd be hiding that. It's certainly fair to say that we likely wouldn't be able to tell until he says so, of course...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaemon View Post
    Without reading any of the comments, here is my guess: In the upcoming comics, we will see Team Evil go in the same door as the heroes... and be seen and heard by the heroes... but they won't see nor hear them, as the "active trap" will make their side of the entrance connect with a different corridor/dungeon.
    That *would* be an interesting scene, and it is a logical development of the events that have been set up so far.

However one thing I've learned these years is that The Giant never produces the predictable scenes that seem to me the next logical step, and comes up with alternative scenes which are equally or even more interesting

24. - Top - End - #144

PaladinGuy

Second, while Xykon has said "Don't confuse not caring with not knowing" and his Bluff modifier is likely in the low stratosphere, I can't see why he'd be hiding that. It's certainly fair to say that we likely wouldn't be able to tell until he says so, of course...
    Xykon (ought to) have questions of his own about Redcloak.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Which also answers an earlier question, no Team Evil didn't just clear a dungeon in 2 minutes. That takes several hours.

They went in, found big nasties, then Greyview found them, they dispelled the Silence, and pulled back out.

26. - Top - End - #146

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Err... yes, he is. The disconnect is that his problem at hand is not the same as TE's problem at hand. His problem is that when the icy jaws of death come, there won't have been enough treats. Everything he is doing is at least ameliorating the problem by ensuring the continued arrival of treats.

Nod. Get treat.

Grey Wolf
    It takes a wolf to understand a wolf.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    I guess the Silence spell didn't really do much of anything, ah well.
    Bonus strip material, with Greyview trying charades, and his silent approach causing one or more spells to fizzle.

I'm sure it'll be funny in the book.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It doesn't. "Suss" does, but it means something different.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Because Team Evil in general have enough good saves that they'd have made one by now. Teleportation is basically always Will(negates) and both Xykon and Redcloak should have at least good bonuses, even if we ignore the MitD. And even if they blew every single save so far they'd know they had a saving throw; only certain effects like scrying spells don't let the target know they made one I believe.
    Why must this particular effect require a save? There are involuntary magic effects in Stickworld that have not allowed a save, Familicide most notoriously. Why can't this hypothetical Teleportation effect operate similarly?

Agreed that one of them would have made a Will save by now, if there was one to make. Which could have led to more comedy...

You're right on Undeath; I just forgot about V's 2nd banned school. I will say though, on V's propensity to blow it when it counts on Touch spells, that V now, is a lot more willing to ask for help---with say, buffing up hir BAB---than s/he was in the past. So maybe that changes?
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2020-12-05 at 09:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saves are optional in these situations. A DM setting a teleportation trap in a dungeon isn't going to worry about whether it fits the PHB spell, much less so a webcomic writer.