New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Runelords 2E IC

1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Runelords 2E IC

Its Shalendra how notices the marks on the floor and glancing to the cave to the north she can see a mass of dead sea birds (mainly sea gulls and the ocasional opsrey) and 3 partially eaten goblin bodies. Its in the corner of the room by the far northern corner near the masses of vines nd sea weed she spies a thing that seems separate to the plants, then realises its a creature made of plant!
    Pauses where she is near the doors back to the central chamber its not apparent if its detected her presence yet or not...

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shalendra goes still, not moving while she tries to see what the creature is. Now it is clear why there are no goblins here.

Not knowing, she withdraws to where the others are.
    "Plant creature," she whispers, "eats seabirds and goblins. I'm not sure what it is, I've never seen something like it."
    She describes it to the others in the hope that they do.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

recall knowledge (nature I guess): (1d20+6)[7]
    if needed: stealth: (1d20+9)[19]

Last edited by farothel; 2022-04-24 at 03:02 AM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Jon looks in the indicated direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    recall knowledge, secret check, bonus for nature is +8

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

"How fast does it move, I wonder?" Jannis breathes, nocking an arrow.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lysander - HP: 44\47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

"Never heard of such a creature. Did you see perchance something else that could be of use in our quest?" the sellsword asks with some concern in his voice "Otherwise, I would say we should leave this creature alone and go our way - we're paid to kill Nualia and her goblins." he shrugs, definitely not too keen to risk his life against weird plant-like monsters found in some dungeon. Still, Lysander has his sword at the ready just in case...
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Jon knows a little of these beasts. This one appears to be a tendriculous, although a small and immature one (~8ft tall and some 3ft broad in this case...). THe druid knows that they eat whatever they can catch and one needs slashing weapons to cut through their thick rubbery bark, acid is ineffective (and in fact tendriculous sap can be made into an alchemical elixir to protect objects against acid) and that it doesn't like fire. as for its speed, although its long sharp and thorny branches are fast its little stumpy legs are very slow...

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

"It is slow; i agree that we should leave it. Should anyone have reason to return to this place, it can be dealt with then."

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Fine with me," Shalendra said, "let me quickly have a look in the other room and then we can go."
    She moved to the other room and also had a peak to see if there was anything interesting inside.

Show

perception: (1d20+8)[17]
    stealth: (1d20+9)[23]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

"You'll have no argument from me. Live and let live, I... usually say." Jannis willingly departs, ceding the cave to the ambush predator already within. "Honesty, just in here seems a decent place to rest- we can be confident the little ankle-biters aren't going to come at us from both sides, at least."

After a moment, he gestures southwards. "Let's check down there as well, just to be sure."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'd like to verify these statements with DrK. Is it clear that [D8] is the tendril...tendric... vine thing's territory? Or are there bones and the like in D7 that would suggest that it comes in that chamber as well?

Just to be clear, Jannis is gesturing towards [D6]. My proposal is that [D7] might be the safe*est* place to rest in here, if we plan to.

Alternatively, he's got his level 2 spells, so we can throw what we've got at Nualia and hope it's enough.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Sliding around the walls of the chamber to the south the party head into a smaller room, this one filled with junk. Dozens of old crates, broken fabrics, shattered weapons and all manner of detritus thrown here by the goblins from whatever loot they had managed to achieve. Glancing back at the sea cave, there are traces of feathers and bones scattered there that suggest that the "window" overlooking the sea if probably where the plant creature creeps to snag birds from the air and feel the light of the sun on its leaves.

You would guess that locking the door to the rooms may give you a safe space, it was clear that goblins didn't head into the rooms where Nualia and her mercenaries slept.

11. - Top - End - #611

Lysander - HP: 44/47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

ì"Looks safe enough here. We lock the door, put a couple of crates on it and we should be good." the sellsword says while rummaging with the sword through the all the garbage the goblins have left behind - not that Lysander really expect to find anything even remotely useful or of any value, but checking won't certainly hurt "Won't be the worst place I ever slept in, that's for sure. We should still take shifts, though. Don't trust this place to not have some kind of surprise for us, Nualia is definitely barking mad to meddle with the secrets of the ancient empire." that said, he shivers a bit thinking most probably what kind of horror might expect them when they will finally meet the fallen aasimar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll to look for anything of value.
    (1d20+9)[25]
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2022-04-30 at 06:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think we best take the bedrooms," Shalendra suggested as she helped look through the stuff, "that door can be locked, we know the goblins don't go there as they do here and there's only one way in, so it's easy to guard."

Show

perception: (1d20+8)[19]

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

"If it is secure-able, it will work. Definitely take shifts."

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

The night passes eerily. Every now and then through the floor there is an almost imperceptible howling that disturbs the watchers and for those asleep is a night of dark dreams and nightmares so that when you awaken in the morning and unbolt the door you are relieved to see no signs that anyone tried to gain access whilst you rested. Lysander can easily cobble together a quick breakfast as the spell casters spend their morning in the various preparations needed to gain their mental focus, be it communing with the elements, dancing or in prayer to their god.

A thorough search of the stairs leading down and the stairs leading up pas the dust sprinkled there or other markers suggests that no-one has moved up or down the floors overnight. So either Nualia and her tame wizard are still downstairs or they were never in Thistletop to begin with....

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Nobody used these stairs in quite some time," Shalendra said as she looked at the dust, "that doesn't mean there can't be other stairs or other ways to get below. We should still proceed with caution."

she would check for traps along the way, moving a bit slower to make sure she didn't miss any.

Show

exploration activity: search (for traps and secret doors)
    perception: (1d20+8)[11]

16. - Top - End - #616

Lysander - HP: 47/47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

"Sure, there might be other ways - but I have a feeling Nualia just doesn't care." Lysander says with grave concern "That whatever she's trying to unearth down there, it's way more important than us butchering her troops up here." the sellsword shrugs, but still frowns and looks quite worried "I mean, we know she's not right in the head - makes her that much more dangerous, if you ask me."
    That said, he follows Shalendra with sword drawn and eyes peeled for danger, certainly not that enthused to have to fight the aasimar and her lackeys.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll for traps (1d20+9)[16]

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Jon shrugs, not interested in speculating on their foe's motives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    exploration activity is search I guess. Pretty sure perception checks are [secret], as are knowledge checks.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis follows stoically, much relieved for having communed once more with Erastil, despite the night's uncomfortable lodging and disturbing dreams. "The gods have kept us safe thus far. By Erastil and for Sandpoint's sake, I will see this through." It's impossible to be sure if he's trying to be reassuring more to his companions or himself.

He watches from the back, bow at the ready as the party prepares to descend.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Lysander turns and with a last few comments takes point as they head down the narrow stairs that plunge into darkness at the back of the archaeologists office. A stone door greets Lysander almost immediately but it hangs ajar. The detailed carvings that once covered it surface defaced by chisel and hammer blows to the extent that only a few images remain (mostly of gems and crowns). The floor is slanted and through the doorway the lantern light is partially swallowed y the darkness as the stairs curve in a steep spiral down some 40ft into the bowels of Thistletop.

At the bottom another shattered door leads into an arched room supported by two pillars. In many places the stone walls, floors and ceiling are caked with ancient grime and soot. Alcoves in the north and south walls (you enter from the west) contain partially damaged statues of a main in a robe clutching a book and a glaive. The entire room is canted towards the west and the other end of the room ~30ft distance reaches another door and slopes some 5ft upwards. All of the 4 statues on the north and south walls (2 per wall) are tilted against the western wall clearly upset by whatever has shaken these ancient depths.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Strange floor," Shalendra said as she walked towards the statues to have a closer look, "makes the whole 'this is a sunken giant statue' a bit more believable, if it has a slight list. The castle on top, build later, was build straight, but here you still have the original floors."

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

"It does seem that way," Jannis mutters quietly from the rear. He eyes the walls distrustfully. "They could be hiding anywhere," he cautions.

Show
    I guess mechanically we're investigating? Jannis has religion at +9, if it's an applicable skill for knowledge recall. Alternatively, if no one else wants to, he can Detect Magic to make sure we don't stumble into a magical aura.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Jon probes each step carefully to be certain that the floor remains sound.

23. - Top - End - #623

---------------

Lysander treads carefully, careful not to touch anything he should not to - who knows if that weird piece of marble is really a trigger for an ancient traps just waiting for a fool? So he weighs each step, probing as well with his sword to make sure is not about to step onto something unsavory. The sellsword is so nervous that even the thought of coming back afterwards to retrieve the staues so they could sell them to some...ahem, "antiquarian" he knows in Magnimar is fleeting enough he doesn't even feel like sharing with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lysander tries to find any traps, here a roll (or roll yourself, if you prefer that way)
    (1d20+9)[11]

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Walking up the centre of the large room the stataues are probably related to ancient runelords although with the damage and the flickering lights its hard to guess which ones. Even as you get about halfway down the 40ft room towards the far end where the passage narrows dramatically there is movement at the far end a pair of figures and a low loping beast appear at the far end. One is a garundi woman, scrolls in her hands and and a cruel look on her face. The other you realise must be Nualia, the white hair and glowing white eyes a hint at her extraplanar origin whilst her left hand clutching her heavy bladed sword is demonic and clawed. By her side is 3rd yeth hound, the massive beast black and furred and angry looking.

The wizard looks you over, a sneer on her face before Nualia speaks. Her voice is smooth and sultry and oddly gentle. "You have come to my adopted home, sent by those in the village that cast me out. The village that dared rebuild the church that I had used to slay my fool of a father. You will leave this place... my servants and I will not be stopped in the divine mother's purpose."
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-05-20 at 04:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #625

---------------

Lysander rolls his eyes, not that impressed by Nualia's words "Yes, of course. We have come this far just to turn tail and run." the sellsword then shakes his head and tsk-tsk the devout of Lamashtu "It's your pretty head that is going to put food on my table for the next few months, so don't expect me to leave just because you asked nicely. But hey, good news: this could end with you still alive, just listen to my friend here." that said, Lysander elbows Jannis and throws a not-so-hopeful look at the priest "You wanted to have a talk with her, now is your chance. I'll sweeten it for you, if this lass comes with us peacefully I'm going to give you a quarter of my reward."

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shalendra wasn't sure what the others had planned, but she was willing to wait. That didn't mean she wasn't going to prepare, so she tried to edge to the side of the room to gain a flanking position while the two opponents were talking.

Show

I'm not sure what is needed for this, but I guess either deception and/or stealth
    deception: (1d20+6)[15]
    stealth: (1d20+9)[13]

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

At Nualia's appearance, Jannis' eyes widen in shock. Whatever he expected, it wasn't this. Still, he recognizes... what's left of her, as the girl he once thought he knew. Blinking his face into a semblance of normalcy, he grunts at the elbow. "I... What happened to you?" he asks, perhaps more out of reflex than actually expecting an answer. "You were the sweetheart of Sandpoint... Everyone wanted.... I guess that's just it, isn't it? Everyone wanted you? Nobody cared what you wanted? Good gods, Nualia, I-" He frowns, the expression not quite pitying, but headed that direction, and gestures vaguely, trying to take in the depth of her transformation. "I... I wish I could promise you lenience, but I just don't think I've got that much clout. Still, I know Father Zantus well, and I'll fight for you- there's got to be a better way than this.... What are you even trying to accomplish out here?"

Show
    Trying to be realistic, but Jannis would be at least curious. (1d20+2)[21] diplomacy?

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Jon lets the others speak, but stays ready to act.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Even as the wizard steps back slightly to make sure she has yeth hound between her the party Nualia looks at Jannis, a spark of recognition in her crazed eyes. "You were once kind to me Jannis. I would offer you Lamashtu's blessing, she would transform you and bring you power like nothing you have experienced." She pauses at his question, a look of hatred in her eyes, "You ask what I want... I want them all dead. All those fat old men with their beards and calloused hands that used me whilst my father did nothing. I want them to suffer I want them to burn like my father and I want their children to suffer the blessing of the mother to avoid the pain I had to endure."

She pauses, a wild look in her eyes, "You were one of the few that didn't use me cruelly, I offer you this chance. One your friends..." she spits the latter "Will not have. Leave now Jannis, go away from Sandpoint and let me remake it as a home to the Mother's creations, where none have to suffer like I did..". Her hands tense on the blade of the sword and the yeth hound crouches ready to attack and its clear that you will not talk her down from her madness. Leaving you with the choice of fight or flight....

30. - Top - End - #630

---------------

"Well, at least you tried Jannis." the sellsword says with resignation, probably in the hope this fight could be avoided "Guess Nualia doesn't understand she's going to leave this place feet first, now." that said, Lysander tighten the grip on his sword and looks at Nualia with grim determination; he doesn't really seem to care that Nualia might have good reasons to want many people in Sandpoint dead, he doesn't care to listen to her anymore - after all, she clearly said the offer was for Jannis only so now the mercenary is fighting for something more precious than coin: his own life.
    So he advances, ready to engage the priestess of Lamashtu in a deadly melee and bellows a war cry, a ferocious statement of his bellicose intentions "I'm here to kill or be killed!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Guess Initiative?
    (1d20+9)[28]