New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Runelords 2E IC

1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Runelords 2E IC

Shalendra was looking around where they were at the moment, looking for both routes to get away should there be a need or any way those goblins could ambush them from other sides.
    "We can scout around here," she said, "and prepare to fight should Jon come running back with a bunch on their heels."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

The skunk hops down the maze of briar's popping in and out of the natural openings and small almost green cave like structures that have been sculpted by the goblins. The ones near the "edge" sem empty though judging by the depressions in the grass and the few scraps of rubbish there were goblins once there but likely these were the ones killed in the raid.

Further in he can more squeals and after a couple more twists and turns the bole of briars opens up into a central clearing of sorts. There in the centre there appears to be a natural sinkhole some 6ft across, the clearing itself much bigger, maybe 40ft across. The sounds of the sea and waves are loud here and the faint smell of salt (likely from the sinkhole) suggests that this part of the briar patch must be very close to the cliff edge. Three other thistle tunnels exit from this chamber (to the North east and west as you come from the south, you expect the bridge is north of here)). However by the hole you see a robed goblin cackling and muttering as he sits by a black and red furred firepelt (like an ocelot). the druid is shrieking and gesturing at the hole as you see 4 burly goblins dragging a fifth one (smaller than they) towards the hole. it screams and writhes but the other 4 hold it firm before with a final shout from the robed goblin and gesture from his tangled stick the unfortunate goblin is tossed screaming into the hole!!

OOC
    Its ~60ft of tangled tunnels past three domed "caves" to reach the central enclosure. Its 40ft in diameter and once you crawl out the entranceway it rises to 30ft high and in the center the briars don't quite touch so you can see blue sky and skidding clouds

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    "So I guess we wait patiently till they come back?" says the colorful woman.
    Jannis snorts, good-naturedly. "That's right. Quite a bit better than walking in totally oblivious, by my count." He keeps his bow ready, and eyes the nearby brambles suspiciously. "Never trust a Goblin you can't see, my pa always said." He blinks, suddenly pensive. "Does that mean we should trust one we can see?" he muses with a quiet chuckle.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Madam Mushka shrugs at that. "Frankly, never know with goblins. The ones you trust are the ones you trust not to trust. But if you don't trust the ones you trust to be untrustful, then you're unprepared for the expected. If only we had some traps to take them on."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"The best goblin is a dying goblin who tells you where you can find his friends," Shalendra said, with a quite vengeful streak in her voice. It's clear that goblins are not her number 1 friends.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lysander - HP: 47/47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

"Hey hey hey, and here I thought our elven lady was way too much of an aristocrat to feel something." Lysander grins, pointing at Shalendra with his thumb and teasing her woth some soldier's humour "Not fond of goblins, I guess. Do not worry, ma'am. They call us 'heroes', but truth is we're just the ones with the highest kill count in Sandpoint." the sellsword shrugs, still a sly smile on his lips "Stay with us and you'll have your fill of blood, rest assured."
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Jon keeps away from the activity, staying back a moment to see if any other goblins (or anything else notable) arrives before returning and reporting his findings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    appropriate knowledge check regarding why goblins would be throwing each other down holes?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis forces a wan smile at Shalendra's fairly typical outlook. "That's a little over-"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    "Hey hey hey, and here I thought our elven lady was way too much of an aristocrat to feel something."
    His eyes widen, and betray an inner pensiveness at Lysander's bloodthirsty comments. After a few dumbstruck moments, he finds his voice.

"I hate to admit it, but Lysander may well have the right of it," he admits, looking perhaps a little sick. "I...."

Once more, the young man falls silent, thoughtful. "It's an issue for another time," he finally comments, returning his focus with deliberate effort to making sure they aren't ambushed by Goblins even more bloodthirsty than they.

9. - Top - End - #399

---------------

Lysander listents intently to Jon's report, donning a more professional mask after the casual chat with the others; he scratches his stubbly beard pensively, then shares with his companions his thoughts "Bet the robed vermin is the most dangerous one; good chance he has some kind of magick at his disposal. Maybe Jon and I could keep at bay the rest of the goblins while you" and he points to Jannis, Mushka and Shalendra "shut him down - hard. And I'm going with my guts here, we should stay away from that hole. No idea what's down there, but I'm pretty sure is nothing good."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Jon nods, "We will see how many are there when we arrive, but the plan seems sound."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

"I bet its just some beasty in the hole." she says thinking as she strokes an imaginary beard. "Back in my day, cultists would often have a beasty they kept in a dungeon and would feed whatever they had at hand. Usually other cultists. Tentacles. So many tentacles. And teeth. "

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+11)[31] aid another using acting performance

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Not a bad plan," Shalendra said, "then the only question is how we get there. Are we going to crawl through these bushes or have you seen some other way in that makes us less susceptible to ambush?"

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

"Not sure it would be quieter to go through the brush than just staying on the path. If they had guards posted, I didn't see them. May as well take the easy way on this one."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

For Jon and the others they realise that for goblins, sacrifice and "play" can be very close and there is no real way of telling the difference. Although the presence of the robed goblin and his pet firepelt would suggest that he sacrificing (or punishing) the unlucky goblin for some reason. But goblins are bizzare. Jon refocuses his energies as the other talk and can offer little on the other options, barring hacking through the feet thick walls of briars and brambles hunching through the tunnels (at least until you reach the wider domed section) seems to be the only way.

15. - Top - End - #405

---------------

Lysander gives Mushka a quizzical look, seems about to say something to her but then words fail him so he stares at her a bit awkwardly before going back to the matter at hand "Goblins never struck me as particularly disciplined. They're not an army, they're raiders. Doesn't surprise me at all they don't have sentinels. Anyway, believe we should move fast - the more time we spend here, the more likely someone might hear us." he claps his hand a couple of times "We have a plan, so let's move. Chop chop!" and so he kneels to crawl his way towards the opening in the branches.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis nods. "Agreed. Let's get to it! Try to be quiet so we can get the jump on them." Jannis crouches to follow Lysander though the tunnel in the brambles.

Spoiler: Stealth?
    Show
    (1d20+7)[10]

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Madam Muska ties her hair back as they prepare to go into bramble, rolling up her sleeves and covers hre face with mud while the waited for Jon to focus. Taking the knife still in its sheath she places it between her teeth and begins to move through the brambles like some sort of guerilla jungle fighter.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Quiet and surprise might be a good idea," Shalendra said, taking her spot in the group where they wanted her and following them into the goblin's den. She was a bit nervous as now it was time to show them what she was worth.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

The party creep into the woods and the bramble tunnels, the environment humid, moist underfoot and smelling acrid with goblin scat and urine. Lysander leads the way weapons drawn curling inwards through the woods. He pauses at the edge of the central dome of brush, a welcome sight of the sky above before he is drawn back to the present and the goblins only a few feet away from him squeaking and squealing with laughter at faint splashes and howling echoing from the hole where the unfortunate goblin had been hurled.

Distracted by the sacrifice and their own games the goblins are oblivious to the creeping party

20. - Top - End - #410

Lysander - HP: 47/47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: Dueling Parry

---------------

When Lysander first spots the goblins, he turns and puts a finger to his lips; then he peeks a bit to better understand what the enemy is doing before drawing his sword and making a dash to engage the first goblin at hand. The mercenary tries to dispatch his opponent quickly, a downward slash to split his skull open - the sellsword fights mercilessly, definitely not interested in taking prisoners or having a fair fight.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    Action 1 & 2 - Sudden Charge (moves to AO-39) (1d20+12)[18] Damage [roll]18+4[/roll]
    Action 3 - Dueling Parry (+2 AC)

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

When Lysander moved, Shalendra, weapon also already drawn, quickly moved after him, but a bit further, before she launched an electric arc on the big one and one next to it.

Spoiler: OOC Shalendra round 1
    Show

action 1: move to AN35 (I think I can get there)
    action 2-3: electric arc on the Boss and the one on AL35: (2d4+3)[10] damage, basic reflex save DC18)

reaction: nimble dodge (+2 AC for 22 in total) on the first attack directed against me).

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Shortly before arriving, Jon takes the form of a black bear. Once the goblins are in sight, he rushes forward, seeking to maul the nearest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wildshape: bear
    AC 19
    5 thp
    LLV, scent 30
    attacks are at +10 (using own bonus +2 for wildshape)
    Bear Speed 30 feet; Melee Single Action jaws, Damage 2d8 piercing; Melee Single Action claw (agile), Damage 1d8 slashing.

1. Stride to AN40
    2. Jaws (1d20+10)[26] for (2d8+1)[16] vs fist goblin, unless its down, then the next one.
    3. claws (1d20+6)[22] for (1d8+1)[8]

If no goblins left after 1st attack, stride to the next.

Bonus from bless not included, add as appropriate

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Madam Mushka sounds the charge herself, playing "send in the gladiators" on her kazoo as she throws the returning dagger at a goblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Actions

Stride to ap-39
    Inspire Courage
    Strike (1d20+10)[29] against neariest goblin of availible
    [rolll]1d4+1[/roll]
    Dunno if returning has striking, which I believe would bring it up by (1d4)[4] for damage

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis stands straight and calls upon Elrembriel's blessing as his companions rush forward. "For Sandpoint!" comes his eager cry as he adds an arrow of his own to the onslaught.

Spoiler: Jannis, round 1
    Show
    Jannis Sotheby
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 2, HP 26/26, Speed 25
    AC 16, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 10, Perc 10
    Composite shortbow +6 (1d6+2 Piercing) deadly d10 (Emblazon Armament)
    Spell attacks +8 (damage and type varies)
    Sickle +6 (1d4 slashing) trip, agile
    Dagger +6 (1d4 piercing) versatile slashing, agile
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Conditions
    Divine Spells: Cantrips: Divine Lance, Forbidding Ward, Guidance, Read Aura, Shield
    Soothing Words (1/1 focus)
    Bless 1/2
    Magic Weapon 1/1
    Heal 3/3 (d10)

Cast Bless, for +1 to attacks for everyone within 5'

Shooting the nearest (living) Goblin: did not note inspire courage
    (1d20+7)[11] composite bow 12
    (1d6+2)[5] piercing damage 6
    plus (1d10)[2] in the event of a crit

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

With great shouts and war cry's the heroes of Sandpoint leap out to assail the hapless goblins of Thistletop. Lysander leads the charge, his blade flickering out to impale the nearest goblin that falls with a loud squeaking to the ground as its green blood pours from its small frame. Beside him the bear that is Jon rumbles forward with a loud roar, his long claws dashing the second goblin to the ground, its mangled corpse rolling across the ground before plunging out of sight falling down the hole, barelling forward he circles north of the hole seeking more prey!

Behind them Jannis launches an arrow that goes wild, even with Madam Mushka's song setting his heart racing, her dagger whips out to strike the southmost goblin (AI38) who screams briefly before falling backwards. Finally at the back of them all Shalendra darts forward following Jon the bear and electric lightning crackles between Grogmort and his northern ally, the goblin druid is mostly unschathed but the smaller goblin leaps out a shout as the lightning runs down its sword before it explodes in a puff of green flesh!

The remaining 2 goblins howl, whether in terror or rage its hard to say. The one by Jon stabbing repeatedly at the massive bear while the south most one circles south around the open bore and leaps at Lysander. Grogmort mounts the sleek red firecat that hisses before gesturing at Jon and Shalendra returning the favour electricity crackles between them.

Goblin 1 vs Jon [roll]1d20+8[roll] dam (1d6)[4], [roll]1d20+4[roll] dam (1d6)[2], [roll]1d20[roll] dam (1d6)[4] (Attacks in OOC 20, 15, 8)
    Goblin 2 vs Lysander, Stride, attack twice [roll]1d20+8[roll] dam (1d6)[6], [roll]1d20+4[roll] dam (1d6)[5] (Attacks in OOC 21, 17)

Gogmurt- mount his Firecat, Electric arc between Jon and Shalendra (2d4+3)[11] Basic Reflex for half DC18

Last edited by DrK; 2021-09-24 at 04:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416

Lysander - HP: 41/47 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

Lysander hisses when the goblin's blade strikes true, but pain just seems to strenghten his resolve to see all these goblins dead; he kicks to the one who made him bleed as a distraction before throwing a quick slash with the sword, trying to dispatch him as quickly as he can before moving to their leader, the robed goblin that unsurprinsingly can also use magick.

"NO MERCY!"

He screams in response to Jannis' battlecry, voice full of rage and bloodlust, letting the goblins know (if it wasn't clear enough already) that there's just kill or be killed in this fight.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    Lysander attacks the goblin he's engaged with; if he kills him, he moves towards Gogmurt and tries to attack him as well with the remaining action.

Action 1 - Snagging Strike (1d20+12)[18] Damage (1d8+4)[12] (Flat-footed if hit) (Against Goblin 2)
    Action 2 - Snagging Strike (1d20+7)[25] Damage (1d8+4)[6] (Flat-footed if hit) (Against Gogmurt if Goblin 2 is dead, otherwise against Goblin 2)
    Action 3 - Stride
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-09-25 at 06:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shalendra yelped as the arc hit her, but her elven reflexes managed to avoid most of the damage. When she noticed the big cat the goblin was sitting on, she was a bit reluctant to move in. She had no interest in getting ripped to shreds. So she returned the favour, trying to fry the goblin and the big cat, before moving away, back to the rest of the group, but staying a bit to the side so she wouldn't get caught in an area spell.

Spoiler: OOC Shalandra round 2
    Show

actions 1-2: electric arc on the boss and his cat: (1d4+4)[7] damage, basic reflex save DC18) (damage in OOC topic (9) as I used the wrong code here)
    action 3: stride towards the rest of the group, but staying at a distance.
    Last edited by farothel; 2021-09-25 at 08:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Jon continues his rampage, the goblin's attacks doing little to phase him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 - Strike (1d20+10)[19] for (2d8+1)[12]
    2 - Strike (1d20+6)[18] for (1d8+1)[5]

Stride if needed, otherwise
    Strike (1d20+2)[7] for (1d8+1)[3]

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Madam Mushka continues to keep moving forward with the others and playing her song.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagger toss
    (1d20+10)[14]
    (2d4+1)[3]

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis strides forward in his ally's wakes, calling upon Erastil for ever more guidance as they assault the first defenders of Thistletop.

Spoiler: Jannis, round 2
    Show
    Jannis Sotheby
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 2, HP 26/26, Speed 25
    AC 16, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 10, Perc 10
    Composite shortbow +6 (1d6+2 Piercing) deadly d10 (Emblazon Armament)
    Spell attacks +8 (damage and type varies)
    Sickle +6 (1d4 slashing) trip, agile
    Dagger +6 (1d4 piercing) versatile slashing, agile
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Conditions
    Divine Spells: Cantrips: Divine Lance, Forbidding Ward, Guidance, Read Aura, Shield
    Soothing Words (1/1 focus)
    Bless 1/2
    Magic Weapon 1/1
    Heal 3/3 (d10)

Single action to increase radius of bless to 10'
    Stride to put at least Lysander in said range- ideally multiple allies Please confirm what is doable?

Shooting the nearest (living) Goblin:
    (1d20+8)[20] composite bow
    (1d6+3)[6] damage
    plus (1d10)[4] in the event of a crit