New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Runelords 2E IC

1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Runelords 2E IC

Jannis greets Alexis grimly, unhappy to share the bad news. "Can't be sure, but I wouldn't want to go that way," he grimaces. "Death is never pretty, but that... Ugh." He shakes his head sadly.

He nods to the sheriff and Shalelu, who he has seen plenty of times before but never spoken with. He listens patiently, concern growing on his plain features as she explains her findings. "I'm happy to do whatever I can to help, sir," the young cleric responds to Hemlock. "Can't be anything good coming from a bodysnatcher, and now this? Do you think they're related somehow?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lysander - HP: 21\21 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

Lysander groans when the bright light strikes his bloodshot eyes, discomfort and a serious headache after the revelry of the evening before and the fight of the morning; when Alexis starts crying, seemingly desperate for the poor Jorren's death, the sellsword just shrugs and says in a matter-of-factly way "Ugly sight, but it was quick. Reckon he didn't suffered much." and is about to say something more, but Hemlock arrives with a new request.

The mercenary listens and when Hemlock asks them to keep an eye on things, Lysander rolls his eyes and sighs "And guess there will be no reward if I accept; fine, count me in - but if I kill something, whatever I find on them is mine. And I want to be healed for free if I get stabbed. Seems reasonable enough."
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-02-01 at 04:00 AM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Jon ponders the elf's report. "Whomever had this robe has resources. Though maybe not a good head, leaving it behind like that. Unless we were supposed to find it, but it would take a better mind than mine for this to put us on a false trail, since it doesn't point to any trail at all. I don't suppose there are any scent hounds about the town?"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    "And I want to be healed for free if I get stabbed. Seems reasonable enough."
    Jannis laughs, giving the impression that he thinks Lysander is joking. “I promise, at the very least,” he begins with an easy smile, “If you’re stabbed standing between me and something nasty, I will absolutely give you any healing I can!” He claps the sellsword on the shoulder, chuckling good-naturedly.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

The sheriff eyes Lysander with a hard glare even as Shalelu stifles a wry grin at the mercenarie's pragmatic approach.

"Aye Master Lysander. You can keep your spoils " Then more politely looks at Jannis and Jon. "My thanks. Not known the town this rattled since the Skinner murders. They'll be happier knowing the likes of you are about."

Shalelu nods at Jon "I'm going to head north and follow the trails. See if I cant find out more about them massing "

At the request for the dog Hemlock nods, "Try Aesrick, Old Battlehorn has a hound he swears can track goblins." (all 4 of you know the grizzled Aesrick Battlehorn who is head of the Carpenter's guild). "He may lend you Chomper if you ask nicely."

As he examines the silk robe he nods, "My thanks for the warning. I'll see when I'm in the city of I can hire some adventuring types to help. The pathfinder society normally has trustworthy types. "

He and Shalelu bid you good day and head off on their errands (unless you have further questions)
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Jon bids them farewell. Speaking to his remaining companions, "I think the hound is worth a shot; give him a sniff of the robe and see."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis smirks a little, nodding. Having some experience with hunting hounds growing up nearby, he's familiar with the guild and the members of it. "Let's do it, it can't hurt anything. It hasn't been that long, I would think... Battlehorn will probably be happy to help if we tell him what's going on."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Alexej Vladislav, Human Evoker
    AC: 15 | HP: 15 | Class DC: 17
    Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +5 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Alexej studied the swarthy skinned man and his companion, listening carefully as they spoke. "So while you travel to Magnimar and the Lady Shalelu keeps watch on the Tribes, you want us to act as deputized towns guards?" He considered the option, "Will we have the autonomy to investigate these crimes, the death of the lad, the grave robbers, and this 'long shanks' that may be mobilizing the surrounding greenskin clans?"

While he waited for the Sheriff's response, he paid half a mind to the banter of his companions, slightly uncomfortable discussing the robe that they had discovered within the crypts in front of the elf blooded ranger. Still, he silently shrugged, no point in shedding tears, what had been done, was done. Though when the others mentioned the use of a bloodhound to track down the owner of the robe, he did nod his head appreciatively of the simple logic of that solution.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Midnight shift sucked the creativity and focus out of me so just catching up. Sorry for the delay folks! Also if I missed someone who asked Alexij a question directly, poke me and I will edit a response in.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-08 at 02:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Before the sheriff leaves.

As the mage's query Hemlock pauses before slowly nodding. "Aye, , I guess you had better be. I'll pass the word around the barracks and tell the mayor that youre helping out and are deputies whilst I'm away." Then with a glance at Lysander, "Voluntary deputies, so no on the town budget."

--

The four of you head down Festival styreet to the carpenter's guild, a large building opposite the impressive and noisy Sandpoint Theatre. Even at this time in the morning you can hear the sounds of shouting and singing from within, rumours of Cyrdakk Drokkus penning a new show to celebrate the battle had circulated in the Rusty Dragon filling you with probably dread rather than excitement.

Entering the Carpenter's guild its not hard to speak Battlehorn, a massive obeses dwarf with a fine beard spillig down over his paunch. Unusually his beard held in place with wooden carvings rather than metal rings. Jon and Jannis know that he was once of the Mindspin's before being exiled as he preferred wood to stone! Heresy in distant Kraggodan. The dwraf oversees a half dozen carpenters and apprentices and makes most of the buildings and furniture in Sandpoit, arguing with Banny and Bor in the lumberyard when they sand "the best" lumber to Magnimar where it can fetch better prices.

THe dwarf looks at you as you enter, eyes narrowed suspiciously as he see's a priest, a soldier, a mage and a druid walk into the workshop. [B]"Aye, what do you be wanting? You don't look like the sorts of folk who want a nice table or set of dining chairs"[/Ba]

10. - Top - End - #130

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Before the sheriff leaves.
    Then with a glance at Lysander, "Voluntary deputies, so no on the town budget."
    "I get it, Sheriff. Told you, I'll find my own reward." again, Lysander rolls his eyes to Hemlock's unwillingness to part ways with some coins; before leaving, he looks at Alexis and Jannis and says "Guess we all have work to do. But I still want a chat with the both of you. This evening at the Rusty Dragon."

------------

The sellsword answer to the dwarf in a professional tone - like he has said similar words in the past "We're deputies of the Town Guard. We're here because we're tracking a suspect involved in yesterday's attack and we would appreciate your cooperation. We need your dog, Master Battlehorn. Heard it has the best nose of the Coast."
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-02-04 at 06:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Jon nods, having little to add to the statement.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

When the sheriff grants them almost total autonomy, Jannis sucks in a breath in surprise. Clearly, the young cleric had not expected Hemlock to agree to those terms. "Deadeye's reaping," he curses quietly. "Didn't think things were nearly that bad."

He's taken off-guard when Lysander mentions an evening meeting. "What? Sure. Oh yeah, I can be there- especially now..." He's wide-eyed with the realization that the sheriff's comment about the Skinner murders was perhaps not exaggeration, as he follows the group almost listlessly down festival street.

In the carpenter's guild, Jannis nods warmly to a few folks he considers more friends than acquaintances. He tries hard, but probably fails to keep the concern from his face as they approach the Dwarf in charge with businesslike focus. Lysander speaks up again, surprising Jannis but earning an appreciative glance. Maybe not nice, exactly, but he gets it done. "Hemlock hasn't authorized us to use any funds," the young Erastilite interjects. "But I'll protect Chomper like he's my own."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figure diplomacy applies. Sadly, Jannis is untrained: (1d20+2)[4]

Also, if it comes to it, Jannis will share that they're tracking a murderer in a plea for good will.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

The burly dwarf nods at Lysander's suggestion of chomper having the best nose in town. "Aye he does that, but he be my beast. I'll no having strangers stealing him. Even ones that seem as trustworthy as you." He adds glancing at Jannis who he recognises from the church. As Jannis joins in the request Aseric shakes his head. "Nay, if ye want help from the dog ye want help from me. You can either come back after me work or you can pay for my time. 5 crowns (5gp) should cover it."

He holds out his hand expentantly, and whistles loudly as a massive wolfhound bounds out from under a bench and shambles up, its height meaning it can almost look Aseric eye to eye.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Alexej shook his head, "Apparently you can take the dwarf from the Mindspins, but you cannot take the Mindspins from the dwarf. Given the recent attack on Sandpoint, one would think it's citizenry would wish to assist in the search for any remaining threats, to yourself, your home, or your business." With a large sigh, he produced a pen and quill, writing a writ for five gold, which could be claimed from Sandpoint's coffers upon Sheriff Hemlock's return.

"That will have to do for the time being, but the matter is of an urgent matter and requires our immediate attention," he paused, studying the beast, "and we shall ensure no harm comes to such a magnificent hound."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-07 at 08:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Jon was ready to gather up funds, but waits to see if the writ is accepted.

"The longer the wait, the colder the trail."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Aesrik egards the mage coldly before reaching out with a heavily calloused hand from his craft. "Aye, I'll just grab me hammer." He waddles into his office pulling out a heavy looking mallet of some kind and whistles to the dog. "Well, the what do you want me to be tracking".

When they show him the now depleted Robe of bones he regards it with some interest. "A strange fabric eh? A hint of magic you say. Don't be knowing if Chomper 'll be able to track that?" Although Chomper himself has no such doubts! The dog woofs happily, wags his tail and straining at the heavy chain links of lead runs outside. Starting back at the tomb the dog barks loudly, nose to the ground running in circles before looking Southwest back into the town!

It barks again, and starts straining at the leash and begins to track the scent, pulling Aesrik and the rest of you after it. Aesrik grins, clearly enjoying himself. "Aye, he's got the scent now, he'll see you right!" The dog leads you out of the boneyard, behind the cathedral skirting the top of the bank the cathedral sits on. barking it cuts down Tower street behind Savah's Armoury, where you can see there are far more customers than normal, as post the raid more people are talking to the no nonsense Savah Benaniky - an ex soldier from magnimar, she set up the armoury years ago - to sharpen old weapons that have been in attics for many years. Down tower street the scent trail runs past the town hall and down main street past the garrison. Aesrik looking at you with a "Bold one this lad eh? Marched through the town bold as brass!" before the dog stops, barking at the entrance to the ill named rat alley.

Following the dog through the thin alley tucked between some houses and the bustling "Sandpoint Savouries" you're impressed the dog can track through the delicious smell's coming from Alma's kitchen you pop out opposite the small House of Blue Stones (a small temple to Irori with a quiet meditation room and impressive library) and the large and imposing glass works! The glass works, owned and operated by Lonjikou Kaijitsu is one of the oldest buildings in town and the sand from the beaches that give the town its name are famed for the clarity of the glass that the Glassworks produces.

As you stand in the street Chomper runs up to the southern door that you know would lead into the showroom and shop but oddly, despite the time of the day the dog is stopped by the door appearing locked. A glance at the glassworks shows all the windows that line the street still have the curtains drawn although from the furnace chimney you can see smoke pouring out. With no other shops on Gull street or Glass Street its not very busy but there are still a few people wandering about who look with interest at the antics of the dogs and the recent "heroes of Sandpoint"

OOC

The main door to the shop is on the north side of the round tower on the far right (where the paths converge)
    Perception or tracking checks as appropriate may be of use

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Alexej walked a quick perimeter around the alley way, familiar with the work of the Sczarni and similar, related organizations, he checked the upper levels for signs of entry through windows or other such roof access. Mumbling, quietly, to Lysander as he did so, "If needs be, I can slip a lock to gain us access, but will need you to scowl at the locals while I do so."

Show
    OOC: Perception check, (1d20+5)[8], before I decide whether or not I need to pick the lock. Nope! Nothing to see here, lol! Curse you RNG!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-07 at 08:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

---------------

The Savouries' smells might not bother Chomper, but Lysander seems about to barf; he shakes his head and comments with a strained voice "Worst part of being hailed a hero is that everyone wants to buy you a drink. Never drank so much with my own money." but toughens up and keeps going. When they arrive at the Glassworks the sellsword frowns a bit, scratch his head and says to the others with a puzzled look "Didn't someone mention the Glassworks yesterday?" then shrugs and sizes up the building, trying to understand if there's something off about it. When Alexej approaches him with a plan, Lysander answers with a cocky grin "Sure, I can scare the locals if needed. But I guess that if we just bust down the door people would cheer for us - old Kaijitsu doesn't seem to be loved by many here." so he moves towards the small crowd and yells at them "Hey, you! Scram, we're looking for stragglers from yesterday's attack! You fancy being gutted by those green vermins?"

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[12]
    Intimidate: (1d20+4)[23]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Recallign the altercation at the tavern, Jon muses "I wonder is Ameiko has come here to try to mend fences with her father. I doubt he would listen to us, if he was in there. We could run back to the Dragon, see if she could talk him into letting us look around? A difficult thing, perhaps."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis is as surprised as anyone when the hound leads them to the glassworks. "I don't like this. Not one bit," he groans, only beginning to consider implications. "Aye," he remarks to Lysander's question. "And we saw its owner last night at the Dragon. That crotchety old man who yelled at Ameiko owns and runs the place. They make good product, and don't overcharge exactly, but they know what they have."

He frowns deeply at the shuttered windows and locked door. "But you don't make money not doing business... And about the only thing I'm sure the old man loves is money... He aughta be open by now."

The cleric turns to Jon and listens, nodding slowly. "You might be right, but I figure she isn't gonna be keen on squaring off with her father twice in as many days. Let's see if we can get some answers to take to her, instead of asking her to help us find them? Locks and doors can be repaired more easily than broken relationships."

He turns to Alexej. "If you can do it, I say you should. Let's see what's going on inside before we get Ameiko any more tangled up than she already is."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Alexej glances about and is distracted by the flock sea gulls wheeling over the cliffs but the coast looks clear to his eyes. Beside him Lysander growls aa surly threat to the nearby villages who take one look at the heavily armed man, the massive dog and the rest of them and decide that they want no part in whatever is happening and make themselves scarce. At Jon and Jannis's words Aesrik nods, "Aye, you be right. Lonjikiou maybe a miserable goat but he loves his coin," eyeing the smoke coming from the chimney, "Looks like the furnace be running but odd the gates be closed."

Calling the dog over from pawing at the door he watches Alexej with curiosity to see how the young mage will get the door open.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

With a flourish Alexej produced a set of wire picks, inserting them into the locks, he spoke softly to those around him. "Channeling enregies from the astral plane through one's ody can be terribly taxing." He worked the picks in a slow rotation, feeling for a change in tension, "One cannot rely upon magic, and sorcery for everything in one's life." A pause as he concentrated, "Sometimes one must lean into his own ill-spent youth, and oft larcenous activities."

Show
    OOC: Alright, using Thievery to try to open the lock with my picks, if I can take 20 I will, otherwise, (1d20+5)[23].

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

With most of the street cleared by Lysander's scowl it allows Alexej to kneel down by the door picking the lock and seconds later there is dull "click" and the door swings open, the door swings open into a semi-circular shop. The shop is well appointed with a thick luxurious carpet and many cases piled high with all manner of ornate glass vases, shaped glass animals and fine wine flutes and coloured drinking glasses. To the far side is a solid wooden counter with a thick notebook for taking orders and doors, however as the door swings open there is a noise you didn't want to hear!

A high pitched human scream amidst the shrill and squeaky noise of goblins before the scream is cut off and the sound of smashing grass! Goblins in the glassworks....

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

AC: 16 | HP: 15 | Class DC: 17
    Active Effects: Shield.

Alexej nodded towards the door, mouthing a 'Ta-Da!' Before looking towards the mouth of the alley, "Lysander," he whispered, "after you. Sounds like some of our green-skinned friends are already here." He stepped back to allow his companions access to the side door, and then with an arcane gesture, conjured forth a protective field of arcane energy.

Show
    OOC: Keeping Shield spell up, and moving towards the sound of conflict, hopefully behind our big, beefy, merc!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis frowns appreciatively for a few moments as the wizard reveals his seedier side. He follows Alexej into the foyer, glancing appreciatively towards the fine craftsmanship on display. "Handy skills to have in times like these. I wonde-" The thought is cut short by the sudden scream, and Jannis' eyes widen in realization. "To arms!" he whispers urgently, to everyone behind him. He frowns at the close quarters, but nonetheless readies his longbow and follows a few paces behind the wizard.

Spoiler: Jannis, pre-combat
    Show
    Jannis Sotheby
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 1, HP 17/17, Speed 25
    AC 15, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 9, Perc 9
    Longbow +5 (1d8 Piercing) deadly d10, volley 30ft
    Sickle +5 (1d4 slashing) trip, agile
    Dagger +5 (1d4 piercing) versatile slashing, agile
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Conditions
    Divine Spells: Cantrips: Divine Lance, Forbidding Ward, Guidance, Read Aura, Shield
    Soothing Words (1/1 focus)
    Bless 1/1
    Magic Weapon 1/1
    Heal 2/2 (d10)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Jon puts aside his misgivings about the entry and rushes towards the sounds of distress.

27. - Top - End - #147

---------------

Lysander doesn't rush in the Glassworks when he hears someone screaming, tsking with open disappointment "Old Kaijitsu said we're little more than brigands. If he's the one screaming in there, I won't risk life and limb to save his skin. Not worth it." than shrugs, draws his sword and goes in mumbling mostly to himself "Doors and corners, that's where they get you." advancing cautiously, checking the corners and keeping his sword at the ready.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    Caution is the better part of valor, so here's a Perception check.
    (1d20+7)[19]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Jannis grunts with an odd expression as he moves forward, somehow agreeing with Lysander even while he disapproves. "If it's him, Ameiko would never forgive herself." He glances at the stacked boxes. "And all this glass might be spoils."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Lysander cautiously advances through thr doorway and glances about. A long corridor stretches to the right, but a stout set of double doors is opposite Lsyander. Screams, squeals of goblin glee and shattering glass can be heard.

Last edited by DrK; 2021-02-14 at 04:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

AC: 16 | HP: 15 | Class DC: 17
    Focus Poool: 0 | Spells Slots: 1st: 2/3
    Active Effects: Shield.

Alexej nodded towards the double doors, "Let's think of it less than savin' that bloody prigs ass, than makin' sure those greenskin scavengers don't escape and slit some poor sods throat, eh?" He nodded his head towards the double doors, "'sides might be fun to see the old bastard's face when he's forced 'ta eat crow, ya?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Alexej will follow the group, but I'd prefer to investigate the sounds of goblins, also, fearing combat at any point, I will spend 1 action every turn to keep Shield spell up. And finally, still getting used to PF2E, could we say between the Crypts & the Glassworks Alexej spent the 10 minutes required to restore his focus?
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-14 at 10:20 AM.