New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Multiclass Help for a Ranger

Hi to whoever is reading. I've been playing with some friends a long campain and we made it to lvl 15 last session. I dipped 2 lvls on rogue and then went full gloomstalker ranger (first the UA version till they made it official). Considering what Ranger gets moving forward, i decided to take at least 3 more rogue levels and then either stick to it or take 3 fighter levels later on.

To give a little more context, the idea of my character is to be a versatile duelist, having obviously a preference for range attacks but not shying away from a fight with his rapier (since i got a dragon scail armor and a shield +1). His stats are
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    25* 20 16 11 15 13

I would love to hear advice for what rogue subclass should i take, your opinion on what to take moving forward and, in case of agreeing on 3 lvls of fighter, what subclass do you think it'ld fit more.

* is actually 6 but he has a giant's belt

Thanks in avance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Multiclass Help for a Ranger

Battlemaster Fighter is a natural fit for that character.

For Rogue, I'd say Swashbuckler, Scout, or Arcane Trickster.

If you're wanting a little more melee capability, Swashbuckler gets you quasi-Disengage without using your Bonus Action, a small bump to Initiative from your +1 CHAMOD, and the ability to Sneak Attack in melee without a nearby ally or Advantage (which may or may not be useful depending on how often that situation comes up for you).

If you're wanting a little more ranged capability, Scout lets you lean into that, and ensure that you don't get pinned down in melee when you don't want to be, while also boosting your skills with bonus Expertise in Nature and Survival.

Despite the low INT, Arcane Trickster gets you 3 utility cantrips like Mage Hand, Message, and Minor Illusion, a few 1st level defensive/utility spells like Shield/Absorb Elements, Disguise Self, and Silent Image, plus a higher level spell slot with which to upcast your Ranger spells. (A Ranger 12/AT 3 gains a 4th level spell slot, which a Ranger 12/Other Rogue X would never get... However, a Ranger 13 has the same 4th level slot plus 4th level Ranger spells known.)
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-12-04 at 12:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundernight View Post
    Hi to whoever is reading. I've been playing with some friends a long campain and we made it to lvl 15 last session. I dipped 2 lvls on rogue and then went full gloomstalker ranger (first the UA version till they made it official). Considering what Ranger gets moving forward, i decided to take at least 3 more rogue levels and then either stick to it or take 3 fighter levels later on.

To give a little more context, the idea of my character is to be a versatile duelist, having obviously a preference for range attacks but not shying away from a fight with his rapier (since i got a dragon scail armor and a shield +1). His stats are
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    25* 20 16 11 15 13

I would love to hear advice for what rogue subclass should i take, your opinion on what to take moving forward and, in case of agreeing on 3 lvls of fighter, what subclass do you think it'ld fit more.

* is actually 6 but he has a giant's belt

Thanks in avance!
    With those stats I'd go for seven levels of Scout. There's really nothing that you would gain from taking any fighter levels. Better to get some better Rogue Abilities. Scout go VERY well together with Gloom Stalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, thanks for answering!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Battlemaster Fighter is a natural fit for that character.
    yeah either bm, samurai or rune knight were my top choices, specially considering that at rogue's 4th lvl i'll take either Martial Adept, Piercer or maybe something like mage initiate to enable some of the Fighter's features even more

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    For Rogue, I'd say Swashbuckler, Scout, or Arcane Trickster.
    this is interesting cause i always looked down on AT tbh, putting stuff like Mastermind or even Assassin (given i have +12 initiative that i didn't specify (mb))over it for this build, but you gave a couple of good points so i should reconsider it.
    Last edited by Thundernight; 2020-12-04 at 08:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Droppeddead View Post
    With those stats I'd go for seven levels of Scout. There's really nothing that you would gain from taking any fighter levels. Better to get some better Rogue Abilities. Scout go VERY well together with Gloom Stalker.
    Yeah Scout goes really well with GS, SW aswell, that's why i'm struggling to either go full rogue the next 6 levels or take the 3 fighter levels for something like BattleMaster and take advantage of the manuevers + my current str modifier.

Thanks for the answer!