New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] Winter is Coming (IC)

Reflection pursed her lips and looked from side to side as things became civilized again. She wasn't good at all this contract business. Impassioned speeches, implicit threats, personable conversation, she could do those things. But this was harder and it wasn't her forte.

"I'm not interested in to much legality on that. I won't force the kid to learn from me, it has to be his choice, not because an oath he made binds him to it. Oaths are important but the intent behind them is just as crucial. But if he is willing then I'll teach him, show him how to defend himself and others."
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"If the representatives of the city population see that the same way. The question is what does the new chosen and his employer think?
    Stark looks to the local Hereos if they disagree.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brandr shrugs. "I'd rather see Ilari alive than dead, but I'm not convinced that a Chosen of the warden is the only way for the city to be saved. Sure, train him if he's willing, I'll fight at his side. Make your bargains as binding as you wish. But it'll be her people that truly stand up and fight for her, and Fortitude won't fall while I draw breath."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    "If I understand it correctly, we are treating :

First necessary punishment for theft. Since it was very valuable I believe that 8 to 10 years would constitute the normal punishment within the Realm?
    So 9 years of service with limited pay, limited free time and limited autonomy?
    After these 9 years of service the theft is paid for.

Second any chosen is expected to help and serve his god. So 21 years of service with adequate pay, adequate free time and adequate autonomy? So if Ilari serves as your general, he should be compensated in money, free time and decision making as your general. The same goes for other roles, of course.

During these 30 years you will not attempt to kill each other, nor have each other killed. You will not attempt to steal from each other or have somebody people steal from each other for you.

Now conflicts are always possible. Back in the old age of the Shogunate when two houses disagreed with each other 5 Elementals were summoned and each house chose one arbitrator. The majority of 4 of these 7 would settle disputes. While this would be a good formula to settle conflict between you really any council both of you deem independent would be able to pass a just verdict?

Does this sound adequate to you?

Concerning Fortitude and your relationship to the city is that something you wish to define and guarantee?
    Do the potential Sifus maybe wish to define the terms for new students?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Reflection pursed her lips and looked from side to side as things became civilized again. She wasn't good at all this contract business. Impassioned speeches, implicit threats, personable conversation, she could do those things. But this was harder and it wasn't her forte.

"I'm not interested in to much legality on that. I won't force the kid to learn from me, it has to be his choice, not because an oath he made binds him to it. Oaths are important but the intent behind them is just as crucial. But if he is willing then I'll teach him, show him how to defend himself and others."
    "If the representatives of the city population see that the same way. The question is what does the new chosen and his employer think?
    Stark looks to the local Hereos if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDragon View Post
    Brandr shrugs. "I'd rather see Ilari alive than dead, but I'm not convinced that a Chosen of the warden is the only way for the city to be saved. Sure, train him if he's willing, I'll fight at his side. Make your bargains as binding as you wish. But it'll be her people that truly stand up and fight for her, and Fortitude won't fall while I draw breath."

The guards glance between one another at Brandr's words. Shugnis rolls her eyes.

"..... 15 years for the theft." The Keeper says, begrudgingly. "You're not a first time offender."

"I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure I wasn't convicted of anything beyond stealing your statue."

"I am not a fool. Do not try to treat me like one. I can see your crimes as easily as you see them."

"... Fine. 7 years with full autonomy." Ilari growls. "And amnesty for crimes committed before and during my service."

"For 'crimes' committed during the course of your duty, on a case by case basis." The Keeper growls. "And you will obey when I give you an order."

"I'm not going to be a slave, Warden!"

The conversation goes back and forth for a while.

Eventually, they come to an agreement. Ilari will serve a period of 40 years total, 10 of which will be spent paying off his theft in particular. During that time, his autonomy will be severely limited. He will serve as part of the guard, and take his direction from the Warden; he will obey so long as the Warden's orders do not prevent him from protecting Fortitude. Ilari argues against this point very loudly but Keeper is adamant that he be kept on a leash, at least at first. Eventually the Keeper agrees to give Ilari every other Sunsday and Calibration off to pursue as he pleases. Any crime committed in the course of his duties will be overlooked, but he must report them; and anything done outside of those duties will add time to his sentence at the Keeper's discretion.

Once that initial theft time is up, however, the deal becomes far more favorable to Ilari. He will be allowed a command befitting his service up to that point (considering his status as chosen as well) and more freedom to act on his duties as he sees fit. In addition, throughout the entire period, time spent training with a Sifu that the Keeper has been made aware of may count as one of his duties. (Obviously he's not going to be allowed to do this in an emergency, but it may be done in place of other work). At the end of both periods, the metaphorical leash will come off entirely.

Perhaps most importantly, neither will seek the end of each other, nor to do harm to each other, nor even to mislead them on their intentions. For the duration of this oath, there is no one they will be quite as able to count on.

Neither of them seems particularly happy with the deal, but they do reach it without much input from the others. Stark sanctifies the deal, and that is that. You're all allowed to stay the night, in... well, not exactly comfortable conditions, but livable ones, even for mortals. As this long night draws to a close and each of you retire, you take a moment to reflect on all you've seen and realized.

Death is coming to Fortitude. In some ways, it is already here. The Keeper killed many in this city. You know now that the Abyssals are coming for Fortitude... and there's so much else you don't know. They may have supporters in the dark beneath the city, with those tribes mining gems and plants. Mayhaps the Broken Gallows will be the first of many areas to be haunted by the dead. Zenmul, the god who pushed Ilari to steal the Exigence, has gotten off scot-free. Soft Whispers has agendas you can only guess at.

All that said... Tonight, a great disaster has been averted. The city has a new champion. As Brandr said, Ilari will not be enough to turn the tide, but he is an asset nonetheless. You have a god in your debt. And now you have found a Circle of companions. Perhaps it was Fate that you succeed, or a plan yet unseen, or the skills of your party, or sheer dumb luck. Whatever your feelings on the matter, you are heroes to the city, and for a moment the thought makes something in your soul hum.

This was a good first step. But your work has only just begun...

[END SESSION 1]

((Everybody take 10XP and 8 of your Exalt type. We'll have a brief intermission while I put together a second session and you spend XP on whatever you choose. Depending on your plans going for))
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #185

BardGuy

It does take an entire night but Stark does warm up and proposes meeting up in a private place for breakfast. If everybody decides to show up and they are alone he begins.

Now I apologise for any confusion, but as some of you already know and some of you very well suspect. My name is Marius and I do not actually descend from the north. Sadly, since some of you know who I am, I also assume part of the Scarlet Empire know who I am. Stark of Varlock is my chosen northern identity, and I would be grateful if you would not spread the information around. I do not want to end up another Wyld Hunt trophy.
    To make that possible I propose a deal: I will help you pursue your goals if I can count on your assistance in the city. I could use a place to stay and time to gather up a few resources for a long term project I am pursuing. For that:

-------
    Reflection? Can I call you that?

I will do my best to make you a Dragon Blooded in very good standing. I will start by attempting to summon elementals that will help clear the undead neighborhood and Vor will publicly announce that a new immaculate order temple is planned in that region. The Hearthlord will accept the Immaculate Orders judgement and only ask for one holiday prayer per year in the local temple in return. For that the Hearthlord will aid the local immaculate order.

All I ask in return is that anybody shows up asking questions you tell them the Hearthlords people are somewhat misguided but newly converted immaculate faithful. And that you are using them to promote the immaculate faith. No the Hearthlord is not real, but I did make up a pretty great story about an elemental fire dragon showing up in a northern village that was two days away from freezing to death and saving them all using his magic. For that the elemental fire dragon or Hearthlord is still revered as a deity in this village until today.

If you are the local immaculate leader I hope that keeps away other inspiring leaders. And keeps me safe.I will take some of the newly created real estate in the then used to be undead neighborhood for myself, I am thinking a tea house in a prime location directly next to the new immaculate temple but that is for the future. Does that sound acceptable to you?

------
    Larin. I have no quarrel with you or your people, nor do I seek it. In fact, if this works out I might actually become a productive member of society. Tea house owner, trade merchant lets see what happens.

Brandr. The truth is I do not know all that much about your kind, but I am smart enough to fear what I do not know. So please do not kill me or have your friends kill me and maybe we can be of use to each other?

If the two of you tell me what business to stay away from and what territories are yours and maybe we can come to a mutually beneficial understanding? But I will say this:

I think you two have a great deal of power between you the kind of power that reshapes cities. Should you decide to use that or want to come to mutually beneficial understanding my door is open and I am always willing to talk.

------

Allev and Saint. I would like to invite the two of you to participate in remaking the forgotten neighborhood. You both could be fantastic faces for the cause and it would make people like change. Ordinarily people do not like change so that in itself is a great thing furthermore giving people hope and something to cheer for is good for a city and good for the people living in the city. I have a little bit of spare cash I could part with to invest in that process. And I could offer room and board as well as the public support of a hopefully soon immaculate endorsed organisation. Does that sound good?
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-28 at 01:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

After the agreement has been worked out, Larin slips away, returning to the underground complex of the Order Below and gathering his spies together, explaining the broad strokes of the situation and setting out their new instructions. A new enemy had come to Fortitude, and so far they were broadly unknown. Larin aimed to put a stop to that, sending his agents out to gather information - he may not be able to have people infiltrate the ranks of ghosts and the dead, but he does the next best thing, ordering people to embed themselves within those that worked under the city (so that he could learn if the fears about infiltration there were valid) and in the regions around the (hoping to pick up on any hints or rumours about what might be going on within, given the interest the Deathknights had shown and the signs of something new in there they'd come across). He planned to get involved in these matters himself as well, while they were in the lull before the next storm he was sure was coming. He also keeps the Master appraised of the situation as it stands, partly deciding it was best to not be found out to be keeping something this big from him later, and partly because he felt that, despite the lingering low-level distrust he felt for the other man, the Master would rather support the city than the dead.

---

At breakfast, Larin listen to what Stark has to say before nodding. "Very well. If we are stating our goals like this, then let me be clear: I have no interest in territory. My people and I will go wherever is necessary to achieve what I have in mind for this city - strong leadership, someone with vision who will be able to break the cycle of growth and implosion that previous leaders of this city have always inevitably fallen into and raise this city up into something greater than what it currently is. Your plans sound like they would contribute to this, so you have my support."

7. - Top - End - #187

BardGuy

Fortitude is a free place I see.

I will gladly do businesses that might be long term profitable. And I suspect this business might be exactly that.

If you wish to designate a new leader that is a contest I do not want to compete in.

By the way.. who governs this city right now besides the warden? He does not appear to be the undisputed ruler? I am no foreign rebel or imperial spy and if introductions are required Stark of Varlock will of course introduce himself.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-30 at 08:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Reflection was, unsurprisingly given her size, a rather large eater, something that was only compounded by the fact she was denied dinner and was then kept moving constantly the night before. She was still dressed warmly, someone who grew up in the Blessed Isle, so temperate the entire year was, exalted constitution or not, horribly unsuited to dealing with the cold of the far north. She settled into the seat, devouring some salted meat with a bizzare mixture of incredible ferocity and perfect elegance. The raise dynast never spilled or misplaced a drop, even as the food was endlessly funneled towards her mouth.

If any of them had gone further south, it would not be unlike watching a school of piranha or similarly small predatory fish devour a carcass without leaving a scrap behind.

"Honestly, I hadn't planned to stay here but... Well. [High Realm Cursing] sure am gonna be here for a while now. I need to send a report to my boss. The Order isn't closely organized for obvious reasons but there is a chain of command. But after I get a line of communication going, yeah, that sounds like a pretty good look honestly. You're not likely to find a better fake Immaculate anyway, right?" The dragon-blooded laughed at that, showing off her bright grin as she glanced around, before sobering somewhat.

"I should probably start telling you about who I represent nowadays. The Order of the Illuminated, and I should also tell you what I know about what we're up against, the Deathknights. Wh ich do you want to hear about first?"

9. - Top - End - #189

BardGuy

That is very true. In fact I did not expect ever to see someone capable of interacting with the order in that way and surviving it. A pretty incredible feat. I think promoting your career is in that sense a service to all the people that are being hunted by the order. If there is an organization capable of infiltrating the immaculate order then I most certainly would love to hear about these illuminated!

Stark appears satisfied and happy that this has gone so good so far. Grabbing some water and what looks like meat he really can't exactly define in origin.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Larin. I have no quarrel with you or your people, nor do I seek it. In fact, if this works out I might actually become a productive member of society. Tea house owner, trade merchant lets see what happens.

Brandr. The truth is I do not know all that much about your kind, but I am smart enough to fear what I do not know. So please do not kill me or have your friends kill me and maybe we can be of use to each other?

If the two of you tell me what business to stay away from and what territories are yours and maybe we can come to a mutually beneficial understanding? But I will say this:

I think you two have a great deal of power between you the kind of power that reshapes cities. Should you decide to use that or want to come to mutually beneficial understanding my door is open and I am always willing to talk.
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    At breakfast, Larin listen to what Stark has to say before nodding. "Very well. If we are stating our goals like this, then let me be clear: I have no interest in territory. My people and I will go wherever is necessary to achieve what I have in mind for this city - strong leadership, someone with vision who will be able to break the cycle of growth and implosion that previous leaders of this city have always inevitably fallen into and raise this city up into something greater than what it currently is. Your plans sound like they would contribute to this, so you have my support."
    "Of course I'm not going to kill you, Marius; you're too useful to kill, even if you weren't a Solar. Unlike Larin, I do have an interest in claiming territory in the city, the more the better. The entire city, if I can manage it. Since we're all laying our cards on the table here, I will as well; I mean to bring Fortitude into the war between the Silver Pact and the Realm, on the Lunars' side. Breaking that cycle is high on my list too; I don't intend for the Realm to stomp us like a bug. I mean for Fortitude to be a thorn in their side for as long as it takes to bring them down. I've got no illusions of it happening quickly, but helping to repel an attack by the dead, now, that would go a long way towards speeding things up."

"That's why I'm not sure about this plan of opening an Immaculate temple, even a fake one. Tell us more about this Order of the Illuminated, a religion that doesn't falsely name my kind Anathema."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

By the way.. who governs this city right now besides the warden? He does not appear to be the undisputed ruler? I am no foreign rebel or imperial spy and if introductions are required Stark of Varlock will of course introduce himself.
    Most of you would know the answer to this.

Fortitude doesn't have a "true" ruler. Nominally, the prison-city is run by the watchmaster Final Gambit. However, he is but one of many vying for control of the place, and even he is only in control of the guard in name; it's clear even from your brief interactions that the Keeper of Chains is the one in charge. In practical terms, the prison is in control of various gangs, the most powerful and permanent of which have the support of at least some of the various gods. On occasion these gangs have allied with one another, and once every few generations such an alliance will become large enough to strike out at local provinces... but once the gangs have reached that point, the Realm or some other power usually notices and stomps the city back into the dirt.

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #192

Larin looks thoughtfully at Brandr, deciding which of his thoughts to speak and which to keep quiet about for now. This Pact of his left him a little uneasy, not particularly enthusiastic at the idea of turning the city to the service of another power and embroiling it into conflict with the Realm, but for the sake of keeping on good terms wiry Brandr he doesn't vocalise most of his concerns yet. "The gangs usually can never stand up to a Realm response. You think your leadership will be enough to make them into a force that will win instead?" He decides to mention at least a small part of his concerns. "What would allying with this Pact of yours do for the city?"

Realising nobody had answered Stark's questions about the city's governance, Larin shrugs. "The Warden doesn't rule much past the guard - although Final Gambit is supposedly in charge there - and his Court, and there is no ruler of the city, practically speaking. Best you get is a bunch of gangs working together for a while and collectively controlling most of the city's territory before collapsing apart again. That's what I'm talking about when it comes to fixing the city's cycle."

After a few more moments of thought, an idea comes to Larin. "Perhaps we could use this false temple to make the city more amenable to us. If Reflections is the only one leading the temple, that is potentially a useful way of influencing the people. After all it's not as if what she says there has to be the standard Immaculate dogma..."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-31 at 01:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

BardGuy

For a moment Marius just sits there observing the news. Holy **** they are actually thinking about taking an entire city from the Realm. The idea itself is either brilliant or suicidal... at the moment he was definitely leaning towards suicidal.

Hmm.. And what is the Silver Pacts policy on sun chosen that happen to want to make a living in their territory if I may ask?

Marius sits there and looks at the food in front of him, remembering how much his last trip to the market for for cost and how much they paid for a meal at the Inn.

Remembering how much Food cost in the realm was not difficult. The Realm was famous among the more economically interested for its ability to feed all its citizens at all times. But what where the shipping rates for legal businesses again?

If the three of you are willing to invest that much effort in strengthening the city against the dead I will make you an offer: Using my funds and if Reflection agrees the name of an Immaculate seeking to feed the hungry, I will research if I can order food from the Realm and sell it here. I would donate part of it to the hungry in the city and would not aim to make more than 20% earnings. I might be wrong, but I think given the current conditions in the city this might help out a few people and might help feed the people.

But... I will only do so if I can be reasonably certain that Zenmul will not spoil my food before it reaches the city just to ensure his own power. Food gods are usually not that famous. I fear he might be promoting himself by spoiling food imports and limiting the supply. And while I dislike the Realm more than most people they do feed their people so they can fight against us.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-31 at 01:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint of Heroes has been quiet, since the meeting with the Warden. Sitting at a table with Usho while Stark talks, he seems to be only half listening. It's not that it's not kind of interesting... it sounds like Stark has all sorts of grand ideas to try and improve the city, even if Saint's genuinely not sure if he's trying to form some kind of cult army or not. Getting in the middle of what's essentially a war between gods wouldn't be Saint's first choice, but there's no denying that some gods are better than others.

But... it's hard for him to focus on politics, right now. Well okay, it's hard for him to focus on politics ever. But right now in particular, something is bothering him. He speaks to Usho quietly, enough that it would be hard to overhear him without some focused effort.

"Have you found out anything about this 'Zenmul' figure? I haven't had much time to look around yet, but he's got to have a temple somewhere, right?"

15. - Top - End - #195

BardGuy

Realising nobody had answered Stark's questions about the city's governance, Larin shrugs. "The Warden doesn't rule much past the guard - although Final Gambit is supposedly in charge there - and his Court, and there is no ruler of the city, practically speaking. Best you get is a bunch of gangs working together for a while and collectively controlling most of the city's territory before collapsing apart again. That's what I'm talking about when it comes to fixing the city's cycle."

After a few more moments of thought, an idea comes to Larin. "Perhaps we could use this false temple to make the city more amenable to us. If Reflections is the only one leading the temple, that is potentially a useful way of influencing the people. After all it's not as if what she says there has to be the standard Immaculate dogma..."
    I am not the greatest warrior among our kind.
    Marius faked being humble while it was in fact very very true.

Although I admit the negotiations towards a governing power would be very interesting. I have never tried to negotiate with that many potentially violent parties at once. But if you want to secure a contract of allegiance in a way that breaking it would have severe consequences I am able to help with that.

And I like the idea of rewriting and teaching the Immaculate dogma in a northern fashion. A bit more open minded this time? Usually Immaculate temples teach children to read and write. I think that is how they spread their creed in the first place?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Larin looks thoughtfully at Brandr, deciding which of his thoughts to speak and which to keep quiet about for now. This Pact of his left him a little uneasy, not particularly enthusiastic at the idea of turning the city to the service of another power and embroiling it into conflict with the Realm, but for the sake of keeping on good terms wiry Brandr he doesn't vocalise most of his concerns yet. "The gangs usually can never stand up to a Realm response. You think your leadership will be enough to make them into a force that will win instead?" He decides to mention at least a small part of his concerns. "What would allying with this Pact of yours do for the city?"
    "It will bring the alliance and example of other Lunar Dominions, for a start. Especially that of my... teacher, the Spider King. Perhaps you've heard of him? Regardless, I don't plan on doing it overnight."

Hmm.. And what is the Silver Pacts policy on sun chosen that happen to want to make a living in their territory if I may ask?
    He shrugs. "The Pact isn't a single government, so there is no single policy. It varies from one to the next, and depends on the Solar's actions. For myself, I'm certainly willing to work with those whose goals align with mine. Particularly when it comes to stopping these Deathknights from razing my city, and holding off the Wyld Hunt."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Marius, you know that Aum-Ashtra the Spider King is a rather notorious Lunar Anathema in the north. He operates out of a mountain near the Black Shale road. You don't know a whole lot about the creature personally, but you know he is very old and very powerful even for one of the Anathema. His family can be found in many areas throughout the northern territories, and will gladly take in passengers as guests in exchange for favors. The Spider King is also known as... a "protector", of sorts. He demands tithes from those who travel the white sea or the Black Shale road, and those who don't often have... accidents.

Regardless, if Brandr were to gain the Spider King's support, that would be an incredible boon. An Elder Lunar's support would be worth as much as a large city from his domain alone. If the Spider King's children and/or other apprentices were to join in, you could establish your own kingdom in the north. With other Elder Lunars, that'd be enough power to take everything from Grieve to Port Calin.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #198

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WarDragon View Post
    "It will bring the alliance and example of other Lunar Dominions, for a start. Especially that of my... teacher, the Spider King. Perhaps you've heard of him? Regardless, I don't plan on doing it overnight."

" For myself, I'm certainly willing to work with those whose goals align with mine. Particularly when it comes to stopping these Deathknights from razing my city, and holding off the Wyld Hunt."
    Marius thinks and silence.
    It takes him a few seconds to internalize the meaning of what was just said. He does look surprised that things became so real.

Then even if we disagree on how to use the land after taking it from the dead. Dividing it up amongst ourselves is a plan we can all agree on or not?

I offer my services as a Logistics Officer.
    I am no great warrior but transportation is a field that interests me.

What supplies do we need to achieve that? What supplies do we have to achieve that?
    Given time I can try to answer those two questions..

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Allev was mostly content to listen to the earlier part of the conversation. He did not have strong objections to an "Immaculate" temple run by the Illuminated, and, quite possibly, it would be something that both benefited the people here and represented another source of knowledge. He worried though, about some of the ideas that followed. Revolution, seizing land, fighting the realm. Beyond the futility of some of them -- turning this city into a functioning government would be near impossible, for starters -- changing from gang wars to a war with the realm was not going to improve the lives of anyone in this city. Well, he was not the leading type anyways, so he would keep trying to patch up what he could in the meanwhile.

Marius's talk of trade though, and the possibility of bringing in more food, that was something that interested him. Was it really less than two days ago his primary concern was trying to secure some of the very limited caravans coming through?

"Well, for starters, trade has been a mess for the past years here. This city needs it; being this far north means we import foodstuffs and plenty of other material. If our caravans ever actually get through to Grieve, the city has ores and herbs to sell, but for any given trip its a big risk." Towards the end of that sentence, he grimaces, as if remembering several unpleasant moments. "Stabilizing the routes is needed, so the flow of goods is actually possible, and there are lots of goods we could do with more of here. If you think you can help with that, I would be glad to work with you. I know a lot of traders here who could use more opportunities."

"I'm not sure on some of these longer term plans you all have been discussing, but we as a collective do represent a variety of interests and powers in the city, and I do think it would be best if we all agreed on dealing with certain threats and well, perhaps taking a collective interest in preserving the people of this city and each other. And well, I'm not an inspiring leader or writer of contracts, but I made these small tokens both as, I suppose gratitude for helping to keep the people of this city alive when many of you are new to it yourselves and as hope that we can keep doing good together in the future. And, of course, if you need any other items or healing I will do my best to be of assistance"

As he speaks the last part, he pulls five woven bands of silk, some cross between a headband or armband and a bandana, out from a pouch. Sky blue backgrounds shot through with patterns of gold, each features what a rendition of the respective caste icons, and a personal touch or two. For Brandr, silver features prominently, sketching an outline of the city with the full moon over it. Larin's uses darker tones, and shadows seem to appear and disappear from different perspectives. For Reflection, lines of white and brown interplay with the gold themes. A twirling staff in front of golden stars is the centerpiece of Saint's, and the band for Marius features faint hints of writing around a gold sun illuminating a world of colors. He'd worked on these earlier in the morning, drawing silk from his blade and weaving them by hand, tapping far deeper into supernatural accuracy than needed, but he wanted them to mean something. It was nice, making things partially just to look nice, but he thought they'd make acceptable tokens of thanks for their aid and demonstrate some hope for working together as well.

Spoiler: Craft
    Show

Rolled in discord, 12 successes, using craftsman needs no tools (peripheral) and a 10 mote excellency (personal)

Slightly overkill for a set of glorified bandanas, but hey, he wanted to make some are some nice bandanas

20. - Top - End - #200

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    Stabilizing the routes is needed, so the flow of goods is actually possible, and there are lots of goods we could do with more of here. If you think you can help with that, I would be glad to work with you. I know a lot of traders here who could use more opportunities.[/COLOR]"

"I'm not sure on some of these longer term plans you all have been discussing, but we as a collective do represent a variety of interests and powers in the city, and I do think it would be best if we all agreed on dealing with certain threats and well, perhaps taking a collective interest in preserving the people of this city and each other. And well, I'm not an inspiring leader or writer of contracts, but I made these small tokens both as, I suppose gratitude for helping to keep the people of this city alive when many of you are new to it yourselves and as hope that we can keep doing good together in the future. And, of course, if you need any other items or healing I will do my best to be of assistance"

And the band for Marius features faint hints of writing around a gold sun illuminating a world of colors. He'd worked on these earlier in the morning, drawing silk from his blade and weaving them by hand, tapping far deeper into supernatural accuracy than needed, but he wanted them to mean something. It was nice, making things partially just to look nice, but he thought they'd make acceptable tokens of thanks for their aid and demonstrate some hope for working together as well.
    I believe that trade is important and will gladly help out.

Marius gladly takes the gift being offered and looks at it.
    I used to wear a banner, at the time I didn`t think it was ...well it was normal. But after you start glowing and have to run... it is not like people invite you into society anymore. I ran and...

Marius pauses and looks at the banner ... his banner something from someone that actually knows what he is.

Thank you!

Collective interests I like how that sounds!

I could always use the help of a skilled craftsman but you are the first of our kind that I have the fortune of meeting. Maybe crafting is the way out of our trade problems? What is your stance on scary mammoth armor and a scary mammoth pulled wagon? I wanted to purchase some for a while, but they are not exactly standard issue. And might scare off robbers?

21. - Top - End - #201

BardGuy

By the way, I know I am asking much and saying no is very much a option but can you maintain a wound to make it look like I heal like a normal person?

22. - Top - End - #202

Larin nods as he accepts Allev's gift, considering the others' words. It was the first time he'd really talked about his ideas to people outside of the Order Below, and it was good to hear other perspectives. "I am willing to make such an agreement, yes. The enemy at the gates takes priority. To that end, I have disseminated my agents in the areas of the city immediately next to the Gallows - any significant changes will be noticed by someone, and it is my hope that my people can pick up on that. I have also kept people below, among those that work in the mines, in case Reflection's concern about the people there being susceptible to the Deathknights' influence, but I don't think we have to worry about that, given the opposition of the god below towards our enemies. We shall see, though." He pauses. "While the Gallows merit immediate attention, given what we saw, it may also be worth considering aggressive action sooner or later - they're based in a necropolis, far enough away to merit sorcerous travel but near enough for them to act here, and we may need to strike there once we're done clearing their influence on the city. On that note, Reflection, you know more about them than us. Does the name 'the Lover' mean anything to you? That seems to be the title of their leader."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Winter is Coming
    Session 2

"Death is nature's way of saying, 'Your table is ready'." -Robin Williams

[Fortitude]
    The Fourth Day of Ascending Water

Four days have passed since the long night where the Keeper of Chains stole the fires of Fortitude. A young man, egged on by a rival diety, had absconded with the Keeper's exigence for his own. In a desperate bid to force him to come forward, the Warden god took the fires of Fortitude, putting every life in the city at terrible risk. In that dark winter night, a group of six great champions of the gods found common cause. Together they were able to talk the Keeper down, and recover the stolen Exigence. Now the group of six have united in purpose, the Keeper has his champion, and the city is a little safer.

But all is not well within the prison-city. The gangs of thugs remains as strong as ever, and many have been emboldened. The sudden action by the Keeper (resulting in no less than 63 deaths) did not go unquestioned by his citizens, and the guard has become the target of attacks and open rebellion. Many others, less loyal to the Warden, have walked away in protest as well. In addition, the champions that recovered the Exigence had discovered that there were enemies of all of Creation hiding within the city; Deathknights, the champions of the dead, unmakers of life and true Anathema to all of Creation.

These heroes have all made their mark upon the city already. The Keeper of Chains has one of his guards, Shungnis, serving as a liaison between him and this band of heroes.

Reflection of Hope, an Earth Aspect formerly of the Immaculate Order, towers over all she meets. She came to Fortitude originally on the directions of Syl Geas, her mentor in the Cult of the Illuminated. He has yet to appear, but in the meantime she has sought to establish a new branch of the Cult within the prison-city. Driven and resolute, her status as the only non-Anathema of the Circle has proven instrumental in their dealings with mortals, and likely shall again.

Larin Tanas is an assassin of the Order Below, out to make Fortitude a better place one corrupt, diseased body at a time. The cycle that Fortitude has fallen into is not an acceptable state of affairs, and he shall change it. No one is beyond his grasp.

Saint of Heroes is an idealistic man from Whitewall out to make the world a better place. Those who see his striking red cloak know who he is. He is a selfless hero worthy of the name and definitely not a thief out for his own glory. Stop looking at me like that, it's true. Completely. Especially the part about how he's famous the world over. Just you wait, and you'll see.

Alleviating Hands of the Unyielding (also called Allev) is a humble craftsman and doctor. Once idealistic and compassionate, the dark scar that is Fortitude beat his hopes into the dirt until there was none left. Now of the Twilight, he has the power to make his old dreams into reality.

Brandr is a Full Moon warrior and gang leader within the city. Student to the Spider King, the imposing powerhouse has made himself into a force to be reckoned with and gathered a number of criminals around him in a shockingly short time frame.

Marius Maralanka (also called Stark) is a confident eastern man of the Eclipse Caste, and he has already developed a bit of a reputation in Fortitude. He has called the others to help him with a project. The deathknights were discovered hiding in an area of the city known as the Broken Gallows. It is an abandoned place, with no one living; but the dead linger there, and come out at night. If the circle is able to cleanse this place of the underworld's dark influence, the Gallows may serve as a central point to expand out from.

You've all met up with Marius outside of the Broken Gallows for this exact purpose (or wherever he specified you should meet up).

What do you do?

((Please note that this session is gonna go a lot slower. I've got training all of this next week))

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brandr accepts Allev's gift as graciously as he can. "Thank you. It will be good to no longer hide what I am."

==============

Despite his newly gathered gang, Brandr has come alone to the meeting. If they're going to be fighting ghosts, he doesn't want to put his new followers at too much risk; this is a job for the Chosen. "Greetings. Everyone ready to clean up this mess?"

25. - Top - End - #205

Reflection smirked as she took the bandana, looking at it with surprising reverence. "Thanks, I'll make sure to hold onto it." It made sense though, when you thought about it. A former monk, now on the run, for her adult life there had likely been very few things that she could really say she owned, that were hers. More often than not it was borrowed tools, stolen clothes, things taken in times of need. A gift was... pleasant to the Dragon-Blooded. She stayed silent on the subject of the Realm though. She didn't think that trying to plan to go to war with them would be particularly fruitful, honestly. With the Scarlet Empress gone, the place was in chaos and she half expected news of civil war every other day. It was going to tear itself apart if something didn't change soon and...

Well, while a Lunar wouldn't want to hear this, the Realm did a lot at keeping the darkness at bay.

Fortifying this place, turning it into a bastion? It may not be a bad idea. If not for the reasons he was putting forth.

After things settled down a little more, she began to explain about the Order of the Illuminated. She focused on the specifics of the organization and goals over the exact philosophy. She explained about the concept of the Shining Ones, prophesied to come to aid Creation in its time of need, as well as the Illuminated Kingdom, a supposed golden age that they would be able to create but they were not the focus on the message. These people seemed more... Pragmatic than your usual recruit, and dogma was unlikely to interest them overtly. Instead she explained about the threats that were said to manifest, from outside Creation and within, and how the empire of the Dragon-Blooded would fall to infighting and corruption, and be unable to stand against the coming darkness.

Exactly as was happening now.

The Illuminated was no longer content to wait, and was actively seeking out the Shining Ones, whom she, and several of the key members of the Order of Illuminated believed to be the returning Celestial Exalted. She explained how they had been appearing in numbers far in excess of what had been previously reported, and now they wished to not just protect them from the Wyld Hunt, but also provide them with resources and tools they would need to not only survive, but build something that could stand against the destruction that was foreseen.

Or, in short. The world is broken. You can look after your own interests for only so long before destruction comes knocking on your own homes door.

She was cagey about the specifics of the codes and ways to reach them, for obvious reasons there. They had only just met, and while she was genial and laughing, happy to eat and drink with them, the idea of being careful who she could trust was built deep these days. She mentioned that not all spirits or gods of Heaven liked this new status quo, nor understood the danger that Creation faced, but was quick to move on from the dangers and into the organization, discussing how individual cells where often managed, and what she knew of the hierarchy. She was a 'middle level'. She didn't belong to any particular cell, and reported directly to the Orders Inner Circle, but wasn't part of them herself. Finishing and touching back onto the doctrine, she finally explained why she ended up joining.

"It was a dark place. I had seen how much danger the world really was in? I had finally realized the Realm couldn't protect everyone. That we couldn't keep doing the same thing to stop what was coming. In the end thats what did it for me. More than a replacement faith, I fight for the Illuminated and for their Illuminated Kingdom because... The world is in trouble. And no one else has a plan, has a solution. Has hope. I'll fight for that. I'll fight for hope."

As for what brought here there...

She took a breath, and told the story of the Port town of Asti.

She told about tracking a solar when she was still a monk, and capturing him. Of the Deathknight falling upon the town, seeking something? She didn't know, but she destroyed the docks, slaughtered the people and was taking no prisoners. Men, women, children, it made no difference, all that life was just fuel to her. The Wyld Hunt tried to stop her and failed, two of their own number falling and bound into terrible ghosts. The solar boy, he begged to help, and Reflection freed him to fight. He battled the Death Knight while the Wyld Hunt bested the dead, and though he died he wounded her enough that she was forced to flee.

She explained what she had learned in that fight.

Death Knights can cross salt without issue, its no defense against them. Other wards that trigger off undead in similar ways seem drastically less effective, but it is still effective against their minions. They seem to feed off death, the more death suffuses an area the stronger they get. They attacked at night, she wasn't sure if that was for the benefit of the creatures she led, or the Death Knight herself though, but they are potentially averse to natural light. They can be hurt, and seem to fear death, and take wounds in a manner more like a mortal than a spirit. The also do not appear to be able to become Immaterial, like a spirit, and are bound to the physical plane like a moving corpse would be.

Relevant information, in the immediate future, though admittedly more incomplete than she'd like.

26. - Top - End - #206

BardGuy

After the conversation they had days earlier Marius was not ready. The Wyld Hunt is the reason Marius devoted so much time and energy into staying hidden. He did not want to fight 5 fully trained armed and experienced Dragon Blooded and die.
    If these Deathknights can fight the Wyld Hunt and leave this would not be simply grabbing free real estate the way he had hoped.

The Fall of the realm was not something Marius was looking forward to. The realm is a large force in trade without that force things were bound to go wrong. People that need food might not get it for example.

Rising darkness that the shining ones were supposed to protect against sounded to him a bit strange ... But somehow approbiate?

Marius would love to know why more Solars were appearing then before.
    But the information Reflection was giving him was valuable even if it was merely a opinion of a large group of obviously powerful beings.

If what was said was remotely true Marius will have to adapt his strategy.
    The information about Deathknights did not make Marius happy but new information has value on its own.

"Thank you!.I admit I do not fully understand everything you just said but thank you for sharing that information! Maybe it will save a few people!

----4Days later---+

Stark approached the group and bowed before the Dragon Blooded.
    He is pulling a wagon loaded with ash, salt, what looks like drawing tools, scales, barrels of what appears to be cheap but strong liquor and prayer trinkets.

In his wisdom the Hearthlord has decided to send aid. This is Lady Flia :

He bows and steps aside so the group can see a fire red peacock follwed by Sir Vor himself.

The Hearthlords hopes that with the help of Sir Vor and Lady Flia any left over remnants in the ground will be found and burnt so they can no longer be used by the enemies of this city. I will do my best to assist in this endeavor.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-02-07 at 06:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

BardGuy

So we burn things down until the sun goes down and leave then or?
    Stark looked like he was genuinely waiting for a more innovative ideas.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Why would we leave at nightfall?," Brandr asks. "I don't know about you, but I'm here to destroy hungry ghosts, not just keep them contained."

29. - Top - End - #209

BardGuy

"To be honest from what I found in the literature most authors said step one create a salt ward, step two burn the bodies of any unburied dead and give proper burial rites and if that doesn't work and there are no immaculate monks around find a new place for a settlement. Not very innovative but that is what most books said. I don't actually know how to destroy them if not burning the body of the dead. I am sure some magic could accomplish this but it is not magic I have at my disposal. I guess others here have this sort of power?

Stark looks around with hope in his eyes since he now believes Brandr and Reflection will competently deal with the problem.

30. - Top - End - #210

Reflection, despite having a temperament that reflected her parents blessing of Hesiesh, was intensely a child of Pasiap when it came to her methodology.

She was careful, when it came to growing the Cult of the Illuminated in Fortitude, slow but certain and precise. She could have gone out and gave a grand sermon that likely could have converted much of the town, but even though the Realm was in turmoil and conflicted in matters of succession, she did not think it wise to openly rebel against Immaculate teachings in a valuable mining town that was ostensibly a satrap of the the Empire. So she played at her part.

As far as most people in the town knew, she was an Immaculate Monk on a pilgrimage to whom the Warden had convinced to look after his new Exigent for a brief time. And that was fine. She acted as a Monk should, heaven knew she had actual practice on that front, but her teachings where just slightly subversive, speaking about the merits of questioning and talking about the Immaculate Creed as metaphor more than myth. Not heretical par se but allowing her to lay some important foundations.

And if she found someone she thought who would be particularly receptive to the words of the Illuminate she would speak to them privately, not about the Illuminated, just to know them. To learn more about them and their ideas. She had spoken to no one of the cult, not yet. Care. If one wished to raise a grand tower you must ensure the foundation is strong.

When the gift of tools to deal with the dead arrived... She nodded, in approval.

"This is going to be useful. We'll need a place to store much of it, but for now I want to start setting up salt circles in various parts of the city. A single large circle? That's going to be easy to break and difficult to build, but if the Death Knights have to waste their time trying to find numerous smaller circles and break them all to allow their servants to work, then we have time to fight back. Some kinds of Illuminated Ones, ah, 'Solars' or 'Golden Anathema' have the ability to purify the dead, so the writings say. And it matches with what I saw, the one who... helped me was able to do it somehow but I didn't exactly have time to play twenty questions on it."

"We should probably train up the militia so they know what to expect, and maybe run some drills on evacuating civilians to warded areas when the attack comes. I'm not much of a general so I'll probably pass on that. We also probably want someone to investigate the lower mines you all mentioned before. We need some sharper eyes down there, I'm not tactical genius but if I was going to stage an attack that's how I'd do it. Ideally someone whose good at not being noticed. I'll see what I can do about organizing all of this and preparing places to deal with the bodies, to consecrate and destroy them."