New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] Winter is Coming (IC)

Brandr strives to present a bold front, but in truth he's more than a little surprised at the revelations being tossed about. Not least of which is that the Warden talks to the God Below. A Solar? Shahan-ya Spider King told me about them.... what does this mean for my plans?

"I never claimed innocence, or even any particular benevolence, but I do claim to care about this city. It's my home as much as anyone's. Or if you'll only believe a selfish motive of me, I'd like to be in charge of more than just a gang someday soon, and I can't do that if all of Fortitude is frozen by you."

"Either way, we know where your thief is, and can fetch him readily enough."

He turns towards Reflection, with a disbelieving snort. "Not an enemy? That's rich, coming from an Immaculate. I've seen what your kind do to so-called 'Anathema' first hand. My brothers and sisters lie dead because of them."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes clearly the assassin is in a position to talk about excessive force."

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Malfeas below.

Normally, she would be pretty happy about finding a Solar. It meant her job was a lot easier, but there where some situations that made things complicated. In a place like this, it meant that she was caught between blowing her cover because the stupid- no, the Illuminated Teachings said they where all wise and powerful. Even if they sometimes did really frustrating things that meant she had to do a lot more work and figure out a new way to approach the situation. As a supposed 'Immaculate' then she should respond violently right now. She could potentially do so in a way that would even prevent her from having to kill this dumba-wise god king. Plus there was the 'almost certainly a lunar' dude waiting and watching in the wings.

But that would render attempts to speak reasonably to him on rather shaky ground down the line. Worse, this would make extracting him from the city difficult as well if this got out. Her mind was desperately trying to come up with some perfect clever ruse that would work. Syl would be able to come up with something. But while she was a decent liar, she just, at the end of the day, wasn't that smart at working her way out of these situations. She had a more straightforward approach usually. The worst part is she could almost see the solution. Some quote from the Creed about preserving mortals first or something but she couldn't get there in time.

One of them was already inching for a sword and everyone was shouting. She had to diffuse.

"I know where your thief is."

Her voice rose up, "I didn't think much of it at at the time, but it makes sense now. I can potentially return it to. But that is on the condition the fires are returned now. Otherwise you're on your own. As for you," She turned towards the solar and... Raised both her palms up, a gesture of a peace. "Not your enemy Night Caste. We need to have a chat later. I think you'll be interested by what I have to say. Are you the one Syls contacted?"
    Reflections immediately gains the Keeper's full attention. His head whips to face her, the Night Caste momentarily forgotten. "........ and... you know that you can catch him?"

Quote Originally Posted by WarDragon View Post
    Brandr strives to present a bold front, but in truth he's more than a little surprised at the revelations being tossed about. Not least of which is that the Warden talks to the God Below. A Solar? Shahan-ya Spider King told me about them.... what does this mean for my plans?

"I never claimed innocence, or even any particular benevolence, but I do claim to care about this city. It's my home as much as anyone's. Or if you'll only believe a selfish motive of me, I'd like to be in charge of more than just a gang someday soon, and I can't do that if all of Fortitude is frozen by you."

"Either way, we know where your thief is, and can fetch him readily enough."

He turns towards Reflection, with a disbelieving snort. "Not an enemy? That's rich, coming from an Immaculate. I've seen what your kind do to so-called 'Anathema' first hand. My brothers and sisters lie dead because of them."
    "She plays the part, but she is no Immaculate. I can see her broken oaths as clearly as the blood on your hands. You can, at least, trust her not to purge the Anathema so readily."

With the rattling of chains, the Warden folds his arms. "... none of you are lying. I can tell that much. You know where he is. And you can bring him here. Good. I presume you will not leave if I swear to do it once he's brought in... but if you all swear to bring him in I shall restore this city's fire."

He gestures to Shungnis and Osirle. "Go with them, bring in the thief."
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2020-12-17 at 09:48 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"I know where your thief is."

Her voice rose up, "I didn't think much of it at at the time, but it makes sense now. I can potentially return it to. But that is on the condition the fires are returned now. Otherwise you're on your own. As for you," She turned towards the solar and... Raised both her palms up, a gesture of a peace. "Not your enemy Night Caste. We need to have a chat later. I think you'll be interested by what I have to say. Are you the one Syls contacted?"

Hearing these words from the Immaculate and the revelation the Immaculate might not be an Immaculate at all Stark gazes at Reflection, Larin and then the Warden gets off his knees and slowly backs away. Not the suspicious kind of backing away, just slowly putting a little bit of distance between himself and the people pretending to be someone they are not while not turning his back and keeping an eye out.

" I should really go back...return to Vor to receive permission..."

Spoiler: Subtle Speech Method Larin
    Show
    My advise run now while you still can.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2020-12-18 at 02:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Lunars. Quick to violence and slow to trust. I don't blame you for it, your kind has been hunted by mine for a long, long time. But the god is right. I'm not your enemy, and even if I was you're about to have bigger problems if death is coming to this city. If you have a problem with me, then lets wait until this is resolved to deal with it, pup."

"I will help you Warden."

She glanced around, she had stiffened at his words concerning her broken oaths. There was still so much complicated emotion trapped in that, that a year later she was still disassembling and trying to form into something that made sense to her. Her fist tightened, as she met the gods eyes, "I have encountered Death Knights before," She turned, and met each of those presents eyes, her expression grim. "Perhaps the only one here who has. And I will not allow another slaughter. But Warden. Do not speak for me." She sighed, and hefted her weapon over her shoulder.

"The deal is struck. I understand what is at stake, and will not abandon your city to what is coming. Solar, this is a task that your caste is exceptionally suited for. It's possible the boy has tried to escape where we last left him. Will you go ahead, quietly? Scout things for us. We'll follow up behind. We're on a clock now, not just from the fires and the Warden. Lets move."
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So, you've walked away from the false religion you all so fawn over? That's a good start. I'll give you the chance to prove you're no enemy... so long as you don't call me pup again."

"I'll head back to the tavern as well and keep an eye on it until the rest of you catch up. Good hunting."

His form shimmers into that of a large raven and he takes off through the night, black feathers quickly fading into the night as he wings back towards Soft Whisper's place.

Spoiler
    Show
    9 sux on Stamina roll against the cold.
    Last edited by WarDragon; 2020-12-19 at 10:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hearing two different instructions to leave (not counting anything the Warden was probably thinking but wasn't saying) , Larin slightly nods and walks into the cold and dark again, quickly making a detour from the route to the tavern to check the places he might find some of his agents. After some searching, the unusual circumstances making his job harder, he finds someone in a small, quiet establishment that he knew some of them liked to relax in when they had no pressing assignments.

Once there, he starts giving out instructions to be relayed back to those agents of his who could be found and can shift priorities quickly enough to be useful, although Larin was very much aware of how the conditions outside would slow things down and limit what his spies could actually do. Nevertheless, he wanted them to do what they could to keep an eye on the two gods at the center of all this, and to investigate the mortals from the tavern, Butcher and Ilari. Even if things worked out fine and the latter was still there, he still wanted to know what could be found on them and any gangs they were a part of, in case he found himself having to deal with them soon in one way or another. Finally, he passed on the names of those he was working with, wanting more information on them - they may be allies now, but he wanted to be informed in case that situation didn't continue, particularly given his little slip-up in the Court.

Once he's satisfied with the instructions, he bids his agent farewell and heads back into the cold, making his way to the tavern and hoping he wasn't too far behind the others.

7. - Top - End - #97

BardGuy

Eh..
    Stark looks at Reflection and looks at the Warden, shifting gazes searching some form of normal behavior.

"I do as the gods and Dragons command... yes." ]

Stark will follow the group but try to keep himself behind and with the remaining ^normals^.

Pulling his jacket close he spends much of the way trying hustle from one newly emerging source of warmth to another.

Spoiler: subtle subtext to Warden
    Show
    A reasonable pact has been made. Thank you for this! When this is over I hope to visit again and maybe discuss why not all change must be bad.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2020-12-20 at 03:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Hearing these words from the Immaculate and the revelation the Immaculate might not be an Immaculate at all Stark gazes at Reflection, Larin and then the Warden gets off his knees and slowly backs away. Not the suspicious kind of backing away, just slowly putting a little bit of distance between himself and the people pretending to be someone they are not while not turning his back and keeping an eye out.

" I should really go back...return to Vor to receive permission..."

Spoiler: Subtle Speech Method Larin
    Show
    My advise run now while you still can.
    "Lunars. Quick to violence and slow to trust. I don't blame you for it, your kind has been hunted by mine for a long, long time. But the god is right. I'm not your enemy, and even if I was you're about to have bigger problems if death is coming to this city. If you have a problem with me, then lets wait until this is resolved to deal with it, pup."

"I will help you Warden."

She glanced around, she had stiffened at his words concerning her broken oaths. There was still so much complicated emotion trapped in that, that a year later she was still disassembling and trying to form into something that made sense to her. Her fist tightened, as she met the gods eyes, "I have encountered Death Knights before," She turned, and met each of those presents eyes, her expression grim. "Perhaps the only one here who has. And I will not allow another slaughter. But Warden. Do not speak for me." She sighed, and hefted her weapon over her shoulder.

"The deal is struck. I understand what is at stake, and will not abandon your city to what is coming. Solar, this is a task that your caste is exceptionally suited for. It's possible the boy has tried to escape where we last left him. Will you go ahead, quietly? Scout things for us. We'll follow up behind. We're on a clock now, not just from the fires and the Warden. Lets move."
    "So, you've walked away from the false religion you all so fawn over? That's a good start. I'll give you the chance to prove you're no enemy... so long as you don't call me pup again."

"I'll head back to the tavern as well and keep an eye on it until the rest of you catch up. Good hunting."

His form shimmers into that of a large raven and he takes off through the night, black feathers quickly fading into the night as he wings back towards Soft Whisper's place.

Spoiler
    Show
    9 sux on Stamina roll against the cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Hearing two different instructions to leave (not counting anything the Warden was probably thinking but wasn't saying) , Larin slightly nods and walks into the cold and dark again, quickly making a detour from the route to the tavern to check the places he might find some of his agents. After some searching, the unusual circumstances making his job harder, he finds someone in a small, quiet establishment that he knew some of them liked to relax in when they had no pressing assignments.

Once there, he starts giving out instructions to be relayed back to those agents of his who could be found and can shift priorities quickly enough to be useful, although Larin was very much aware of how the conditions outside would slow things down and limit what his spies could actually do. Nevertheless, he wanted them to do what they could to keep an eye on the two gods at the center of all this, and to investigate the mortals from the tavern, Butcher and Ilari. Even if things worked out fine and the latter was still there, he still wanted to know what could be found on them and any gangs they were a part of, in case he found himself having to deal with them soon in one way or another. Finally, he passed on the names of those he was working with, wanting more information on them - they may be allies now, but he wanted to be informed in case that situation didn't continue, particularly given his little slip-up in the Court.

Once he's satisfied with the instructions, he bids his agent farewell and heads back into the cold, making his way to the tavern and hoping he wasn't too far behind the others.
    Larin is able to sneak off and pass his instructions on without much issue, other than assuring them that fires could be lit again and that it wasn't going to suddenly turn off.

Brandr, you're able to see far more from the air than you did on the ground. As you go, at first you don't see any new fires lighting, even though the Warden did apparently make it possible. For a moment, the thought crosses your mind that the Warden tricked you; but then your eyes spot an orange glow, then another, and another. Some of them are moving across the city, and you can hear people calling out. News was spreading.

You've seen the city from a bird's eye view before. You quickly find your way back to the tavern, and for a moment circle around the building. It is cold and dark; you don't see any fires lit inside, nor anyone waiting outside of the tavern.

((Brandr, you got there in about 10 minutes, the rest are still gonna take about an hour if they move at a normal pace. I don't actually know if this works well with how birds fly but that's what we're doing

(Larin, Stark and Brandr have already done this, but everyone who's going out into the winter night again, roll Stamina + Resistance, TN 4. It was supposed to go up here but I forgot to mention that before Volthawk rolled so you're getting an easier roll :P Stark takes 2L damage from the environmental effect.))

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brandr will circle the tavern, as well as scouting a couple of blocks out, to make sure Ilari hasn't already bolted. If there's no unusual activity in the streets, he'll look for a nearby rooftop to perch on. He moves every few minutes, to keep an eye on all possible exits.

When the others start getting close, he'll land on the streets, and resume his human form, out of sight of the windows, then rejoin them.

10. - Top - End - #100

BardGuy

"By the gods..., !@#$%^&, f!@#, s!@#, the spirits want to kill us, *&^%"

Stark does not hide how bad he experiences the cold and continues mumbled cursing.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2020-12-21 at 06:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

With a brief farewell to the Warden and his guards, Allev moves to start heading back with the others still there. He lingers by the doorway, concerned about heading back into the cold (now short a cloak), but he grimaces and follows Stark.

As they walk, Allev clings to what remains of his layers, keeping them tight around him. He tries to repeat some of the exercises that helped him through the earlier cold. Move. Keep blood flowing. Warm extremities. And this time, he draws on his anima slightly more, bolstering his limbs with energy.

He turns to Stark. "Pretty incredible, to run into a Solar, Lunar, Dragonblooded, and the god of this city in the same night. And, I suppose, Vor as well. Though they at least are more normal for you."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Brandr will circle the tavern, as well as scouting a couple of blocks out, to make sure Ilari hasn't already bolted. If there's no unusual activity in the streets, he'll look for a nearby rooftop to perch on. He moves every few minutes, to keep an eye on all possible exits.
    ((5sux))

Brandr, when you alight on the building across from Soft's tavern, you notice something odd. There are tracks from you, the earth elemental, and the rest of your ad-hoc circle trudging through the snow... but there's another two sets of tracks going over them. You didn't notice at first, but partway down the line, your circle's tracks go towards the center of the city, but these continue straight down the road. The new tracks much more fresh; they would've been made about 5 or 10 minutes before the Warden made his deal with the dragon. One set is light on the snow, moving quickly but quietly; the other set eventually disappears entirely.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #103

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    He turns to Stark. "Pretty incredible, to run into a Solar, Lunar, Dragonblooded, and the god of this city in the same night. And, I suppose, Vor as well. Though they at least are more normal for you."

"Sir Vor is a ... enigmatic master. Often I do not really know what to expect but he is a messenger of the Life giving Hearth Lord , he saved us and for that we will be eternally grateful."

The sentence sounds almost rehearsed from Stark, at least the last part.

" I have heard tales of the Anathema... of people dying in flames, ruins and curses. Of the things the Moon ... ones do to there enemies. What they do to the women and children of the defeated... I have not seen such beings before but ... are you not afraid?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seized by a nasty suspicion at the sight of the tracks, Brandr quickly returns to human form and heads back into the tavern, hoping to be proven wrong. He immediately looks around for Ilari.

15. - Top - End - #105

"Stories are often just stories."

Reflection fixed Stark with a look as she trudged through the cold, starting to visibly shiver. The weather was taking its toll on her too, now. Despite her natural hardiness it was creeping into her, slowing her. She didn't like it. It was hard to believe anyone could survive up here, like this. "Observe for yourself." She started to say something else, then paused, considered, and then shook her head. "The nature of Exalted is complex. I could tell you all a counter dogma to what you've heard but in the end, it's just another dogma. Just because you're mortal doesn't mean you're not capable of making our own decisions. So judge the 'Anathema' on what you see happens instead of merely what you hear. Not saying trust them unconditionally, like you should trust me. " Her grin was wry at that, "After all, some stories are just stories. And some of them are true. But the Celestials where once capable of grand things. And in the age that is coming this world will need them." At least that's what Syl always said.

And after seeing what the forces of death where capable of... she believed him.

16. - Top - End - #106

BardGuy

"Stories are often just stories."

Reflection fixed Stark with a look as she trudged through the cold, starting to visibly shiver. The weather was taking its toll on her too, now. Despite her natural hardiness it was creeping into her, slowing her. She didn't like it. It was hard to believe anyone could survive up here, like this. "Observe for yourself." She started to say something else, then paused, considered, and then shook her head. "The nature of Exalted is complex. I could tell you all a counter dogma to what you've heard but in the end, it's just another dogma. Just because you're mortal doesn't mean you're not capable of making our own decisions. So judge the 'Anathema' on what you see happens instead of merely what you hear. Not saying trust them unconditionally, like you should trust me. " Her grin was wry at that, "After all, some stories are just stories. And some of them are true. But the Celestials where once capable of grand things. And in the age that is coming this world will need them."
    Stark looked forward through the snow He opened his mouth as if to ask a question or give comment but closed it again. Only to slightly raise his hand and then close his mouth again. It appears lots of thoughts crossed his mind but none of them right now were coherent enough to be mentioned.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Seized by a nasty suspicion at the sight of the tracks, Brandr quickly returns to human form and heads back into the tavern, hoping to be proven wrong. He immediately looks around for Ilari.
    As soon as you burst into the room, every eye looks up towards you. The red skinned woman you saw standing with Stark earlier stands up from her position on the ground and walks uneasily to you. "Wh-what happened?" Her teeth are chattering. "F-fire's been lit again. Did you kill the warden?"

Your eyes rake across the cold tavern. The hearth has been re-lit, but has only just begun to catch; they likely only started trying to light it in the last minute or so. There are a few people that are collapsed on the ground, barely moving. Fewer than you'd perhaps feared, more than you'd perhaps hoped. They've been moved near the hearth and most have blankets over them.

... you don't see Ilari anywhere. Soft Whispers is nowhere to be seen either.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kill the Warden? Much as he appreciated the confidence...

"No, but we might have to before morning, if we can't return what was stolen from him." Brandr clenches his jaw, taking another look around the tavern. "Where is Ilari, the thief Butcher was roughing up? And for that matter, where's Soft Whispers? Tell me truly, or the fires may go out again." He puts a hand on her shoulder, staring into her eyes with his piercing blue ones.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

"Ilari? What's he got to..." Alzar's near-black eyes rake over the tavern, and when they don't find Ilari either, they narrow. "Oh that cowardly little..."

"... About a half hour ago, some people started collapsing from the cold." She gestures to the collapsed people by the hearth. "As you can see."

"Soft Whispers was distracted, I think. But some time after that began, he looked around the common area, swore, and then went out the door. He told the rest of us to keep an eye on things here and that he'd be back soon." She shakes her head. "That was half an hour ago. He didn't stop for a jacket or anything, I don't know where he is or what's happening."

Usho steps up, moving towards Brandr. "Hang on, where's Sna- Saint of Heroes? And the others that were with you?"

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Damn it! He gave us the slip, those must have been his tracks out there..." Brandr snarls a curse and heads for the door. "Fine last I saw them. I knew a shortcut," he tells Usho. "Wait, 'Saint of Heroes'? He really calls himself that?" He shakes his head as he leaves.

Outside, he turns a corner and shapeshifts back into a raven, where he flies to meet up with the others. "Ilari bolted while we were still on our way to the Warden's Court. Soft Whispers is chasing him and I spotted tracks leading away from the tavern. We need to hurry if we're going to catch them."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

The trip back isn't much more pleasant than the trip out was, but at least it's not pitch dark. The glimmer of fires here and there is comforting, even if it's not much help when the wind bites. Saint trudges along in silence, listening to Reflection but not commenting. The concept of "Anathema" was one he was only vaguely familiar with, truthfully. The priests of the divine triad in Whitewall didn't tend to speak much on that subject... not that he spent much time listening to priests anyway. Still, he was in the habit of concealing his nature until it was really dramatic to reveal it, and now any reveal would be rather pointless since it turned out almost half a dozen god-chosen were in this little group.

Oh well, it was too cold to sulk much.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Resistance 3 + Stamina 3 + Stunt 2
    (8d10)[9][3][5][10][7][10][5][4](53)
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-12-28 at 09:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Allev, listening to Reflection and Stark, nods along as Stark describes Vor. It was ... good the elemental seemed benign enough. He did not feel particularly confident in his ability to bind a malignant one with his limited knowledge of sorcery, and ties to the Hearth Lord (whoever that was) sounded useful enough with the current fire situation.

To Stark's question, Allev considered Reflection's response before giving his own. Interesting, between what she said earlier and now.

"Yeah. We're a long way from the orthodoxy of the Realm here, and, as I am sure you've noticed, this place is not exactly a shining beacon of order and righteousness. What we've been told to believe and what we should actually believe aren't always the same."

"Besides," Allev says with a short laugh, "there are a number of gangs lead by gods here so danger of the supernatural sort is not that unusual."

Of course, being an "Anathema" also is a good reason to not be scared of them, but the mortal probably had enough surprises for the evening already. And being one was certainly nice with the cold this time.

23. - Top - End - #113

BardGuy

Outside, he turns a corner and shapeshifts back into a raven, where he flies to meet up with the others. "Ilari bolted while we were still on our way to the Warden's Court. Soft Whispers is chasing him and I spotted tracks leading away from the tavern. We need to hurry if we're going to catch them."
    "I cannot say that I am fast enough to catch up to a god. But if the alternative is to freeze to death I will try. Do you wish to fly ahead and give us signal where we should walk to?"

24. - Top - End - #114

"Follow him. As fast as possible. Track him and find him even if it means outpacing me-us. We need this resolved. Quickly. He may no longer be just a mortal but he'll be new and untested. If we can get on him before he finds his footing it'll be best otherwise we may never find the idiot. Time is of the essence. Flare your banner if you reach him so we can find you easier."

Reflection seemed nervous. It was unusual for the preciously confident Dragon-Blooded, but the threat of the undead, of the abyss seemed to have rattled her. She grips her weapon, even with no enemies in sight. She would not let this town become a necropolis, not again.
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2020-12-29 at 11:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That's strange, it sounds like you're repeating what I just said. I don't take orders from you, Terrestrial, but you are right, I can outpace the rest of you easily enough. Try to keep up."

He shifts form again, this time into his totemic form, a massive black wolf, and dashes off to where he saw the tracks, straining his senses to pick up the trail of the two. He backtracks just enough to catch their scent, then follows at his best speed, shrugging off fatigue and the cold.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    10 sux on the tracking roll.
    Last edited by WarDragon; 2020-12-30 at 07:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

The two guards sent along with you are hanging back a bit, apparently fine with merely supervising while having the rest of you handle this issue.

Osirle scowls when Brandr transforms. "Can't believe we're trusting a bloody facestealer to lead us true."

Shungnis breathes into her own hands, warming them. "Not much choice in the matter, mate. Boss says we go, we go. We got an Immaculate dragon with us just in case."

"An oathbreaker, the Warden said. A former immaculate."

The two continue bickering between one another....From their tone, they don't seem to think you can hear them.

The black wolf form that Brandr has taken is a swift and able tracker, he leads you all quickly but you're able to keep pace (perhaps despite his harsh words Brandr doesn't want to abandon the group entirely). Soft's scent disappears shortly after the trail begins, but Ilari's stays strong. From the tracks, Ilari was trying to keep from being spotted, and so he was moving slowly and deliberately; you don't have that issue and are able to follow his scent quickly and easily. As you trudge through the city, a light snowfall begins to fill the air around you. Newly lit fires spring up in homes as you go, casting the darkening roads in an occasional warm orange glow.

Ilari's trail goes deep into the older parts of the city, or more specifically an abandoned part of the city. As you trudge through the now thickening snow, the fires become fewer and the homes more dillipidated. You see fewer and fewer signs of life of any kind, even animals, as you approach a wall rung by barbed wire. There is a wooden gate before you that has been open for as long as any native to the place can remember; but the walls are marked with warnings to stay back. Those of you native to Fortitude know this area as the Broken Gallows. Once, it was a place for execution of the most vile and dangerous individuals in the city; those whose crimes were too horrid to allow them to continue their bloodlines. However, ghosts arise here with an alarming frequency, and so the area was simply abandoned. Some gangs go here on occasion but it's not really anyone's territory.

Or at least, it wasn't.

Brandr almost runs headfirst into it; almost. Part of the gate has been broken off and now stands in the center of the road, atop a pile of human skulls. The makeshift sign is marked by a picture of a skull, shaped vaguely like a heart; none of you recognize the image. The design has blood splashed upon it...

Spoiler
    Show

"... well that's ****ing ominous." Osirle mumbles.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2020-12-31 at 12:37 PM.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #117

BardGuy

Stark stars at the symbol:

" That looks not inviting.. does anybody knwo what it means?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having rejoined the group after his detour to give order, Larin looks at the skulls thoughtfully. "I don't have cause to send my agents here very often, so no. I can make some obvious deductions, though. For one thing, there are only two reasons to come here - be cause it's unclaimed ground you can hide in, and because of the ghosts. Ilari probably came here for the former reason, unless he has darker ties than we thought, but this is definitely tied to the latter. Some kind of cultish gang, perhaps, or the ghosts being more organised than your average hungry ghost." He glances over to Reflections. "You and the Warden talked about the dead coming to the city. I concern myself more with the living, so I'm not an expert on their ways, but if they were, I'd guess this place is where they'd go first."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brandr just growls, not willing to waste the essence to shift forms. He pads through the broken gate, and continues following the trail while the others talk.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint of Heroes stares at the bloodied skull in something like... glee? Yes, it's definitely more excitement than trepidation.

"Do we get to fight a cult of necromancers? That's awesome. I've always wanted to do that."