New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] Winter is Coming (IC)

"Then I guess it is very good you are here, because that looks odd.

Stark continues walking and tries to stay in about the middle of the group.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

In the shadows, you now hear faint whispers as you continue onward. A woman begging for her life. A child crying. An angry man demanding money. Another man, making morbid and desperate jokes about his fatal wound. The Broken Gallows has been abandoned by the living for a long time, and though you don't quite see any ghosts, you can feel them, like a cold shiver running down your spine that has nothing to do with the weather.

About a minute after passing the sign, you see a blue light in what looks to be a former prison yard. The fence has been destroyed on the end you come from, but you can also see a building on the opposite side with a single open door leading in. A wooden frame and platform that once served as a set of gallows now sits dillipidated by the passage of time on the left side of the field from where you stand. Near the center of the yard, you see two figures; a young man in disheveled clothing you recognize as Ilari, and another man in armor. They're standing beside a fire that burns bright blue, Ilari still shivering in the cold. The armored man has his arms crossed and seems entirely unbothered by the weather.

He looks vaguely like a corpse from the River Provinces given life. Messy, unkempt black hair hangs around his head, just barely reaching his jawbone. His skin is pale, gaunt and pallid. He wears lamellar-styled armor, but the material is... well, it looks like blackened steel, but even in the dark of the courtyard, it's evidently not. Where the light catches it, you could swear you see screaming faces form and dissolve in the strange, shifting metal. It is unnerving in a way that you find inherently repulsive, even if you can't quite articulate why.

Ilari is talking desperately, earnestly about something you can't quite hear from your position (Perception+Awareness, TN 3). The armored man is not even pretending to be interested in whatever the young man is saying.

It seems like they haven't noticed you yet. What do you do?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #123

BardGuy

Whatever may be going on one thing is clear. Stark has no intention of engaging in battle with who or what is wearing that armor. Moving silently he leaves the path and hides in nearby ruined house. After that remaining completely silent to hear the conversation.

Spoiler: Stealth and Awareness roll
    Show

Dex 5 + Stealth 1 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4
    (12d10)[3][3][8][5][3][1][5][5][3][10][5][10](61)

Per 2 + Awareness 5 + Stunt 2

(9d10)[5][10][6][2][7][1][10][3][6](50)
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-03 at 12:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whatever that armored corpse is, Brandr knows he doesn't want it in his city. He strains his sensitive, wolfish ears to pick up the conversation, even as he slinks closer, his ebony fur blending into the shadows...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    6 successes each for Dex+Stealth and Perception + Awareness.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint of Heroes's eyes instinctively seek out hiding places, and his steps grow light and soft for a moment... until he remembers that he's supposed to be a hero, not a skulking rogue. Evil should hide from him, dammit. He draws himself upright and puffs out his chest with confidence that's at least half feigned, and steps forward, letting his staff click on the stones of the courtyard.

"Ilari, what happened? You were supposed to wait for us to come back!"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception 3 + Awareness 3 + Stunt 2
    (8d10)[9][6][10][7][2][10][8][5](57)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Stark, you get closer to the fence, quietly approaching without giving any indication of it. A small snowdrift mostly conceals your presence, and your dark clothing makes it difficult to see you beyond the range of the firelight. Brandr slinks low to the ground, slowly trekking through the snow. You're both able to overhear some of Ilari and the stranger's conversation.

"-kill me if he ever finds me." Ilari hurriedly whispers. He looks down at his hands. "Is there any way to get it out of me? I don't want it if I'm going to be hunted forever."

"If there is, I've never heard if it. We'll make our way into the Underworld, then we can bring you to my mistress. She wishes to meet with you. Then, if you don't like her offer, we can bring you anywhere within the world of the living."

Ilari froze. "... the Underworld?... that... that doesn't..."

The man sighs. "If you'd rather be dead, I can make it quick."

"No! No nononononono, no! I just..." He glances around in the darkness. "I..."

His eyes lock directly onto Stark, then Brandr, then on the group, then on a point behind you all, and though you're certain it's too dark for him to see you, his eyes narrow.

"... what?" The man frowns. "Did you hear something?"

"... No. Just an owl." Ilari says slowly, before turning back to the knight. As he says this, the group hears an owl hooting in the air above. "You said you could get me out of the city, Heart."

"And I can." The Heart promises. "My compatriot is a sorcerer and can bend the winds to her will. We'll go faster once she's with us."

"... couldn't she use that to get to us faster?"

"Yes. Yes she could." The man is tapping the side of his armor, irritated. "If she cared about anything other than her personal experiments."

Ilari rolls his eyes. "Yeah. Had that kind of partner before."

The man snorts, the first bit of mirth he's shown, yet his smile doesn't quite reach his eyes.

And then Saint of Heroes swaggers in and says "Ilari, what happened? You were supposed to wait for us to come back!"

Ilari and the Heart both freeze in place, then sloooooowly turn to look at the newcomer. The fire beside them crackles, throwing sparks into the air that light their dumbfounded expressions.

"I can't believe- how did you find me?!" The young man yelps. The stranger frowns, and Saint of heroes can feel... something behind his eyes, and a cold shiver of something else runs down Saint's spine. You understand, without quite knowing how you understand, that this man is in opposition to everything your Exaltation stands for. There is a sting of betrayal that you can't quite place the reason behind, as well. He appears to be unarmed, but no less dangerous for it.

"Bold man. I didn't hear anyone around." Heart growls. "And who is this?"

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Post Re: [Exalted 3e] Winter is Coming (IC)

As Larin sees the figure's armour, a hand drifts down to his belt, tracing along the metal that trimmed it - he'd found the little of whatever that was in the belt strange, let alone a whole suit of it. Whatever it was exactly, he knew what it meant - this was a dangerous person, and no mere mortal. He'd had already shown his hand too early once today, and he wasn't about to repeat things, particularly against such an unknown enemy. Slipping among the broken fences and blending into the shadows they cast, he watches the scene unfold as shadowy chains form out of his sleeves, ready to strike if (he had the feeling 'when' was a more appropriate word) things reached the point where his skills were necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

10 successes on the Stealth check - Larin's actually being a proper Night this time. The thing at the beginning about his belt is just because his Belt of Shadow Walking is described as having a little soulsteel in it, felt like a little thing worth incorporating.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Allev remains with the majority of the group as Stark and Brandr range ahead. This area they had traveled to is not one he would have liked to frequent. But for keeping the fires in the city lit, he'd do what was needed. And if it was true the dead and ghosts frequented this area, he had a responsibility to deal with them, right?

As the strange, armored figure becomes visible, Allev squints and looks towards him. He did not recognize the man (though clearly, the dead were in fact in this city), but the shifting, screaming armor .... Allev cast his mind back to the books, to viewing samples in the markets and what he had seen when trading with the groups of the gods.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint's eyes narrow briefly at the man called the Heart, but then he grins, sudden and innocent. Well, almost innocent. Somewhere in that range, at least.

"Hi, I'm Saint of Heroes. Sorry for intruding, won't be here long..."

Brushing the strange armored figure off, he turns back to the runaway thief and holds up his hands placatingly.

"Ilari, I'm feeling kinda disappointed here. We went to the Warden to try and get this all settled peacefully, but it turns out you did have this Exigence thing the whole time? I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    As Larin sees the figure's armour, a hand drifts down to his belt, tracing along the metal that trimmed it - he'd found the little of whatever that was in the belt strange, let alone a whole suit of it. Whatever it was exactly, he knew what it meant - this was a dangerous person, and no mere mortal. He'd had already shown his hand too early once today, and he wasn't about to repeat things, particularly against such an unknown enemy. Slipping among the broken fences and blending into the shadows they cast, he watches the scene unfold as shadowy chains form out of his sleeves, ready to strike if (he had the feeling 'when' was a more appropriate word) things reached the point where his skills were necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

10 successes on the Stealth check - Larin's actually being a proper Night this time. The thing at the beginning about his belt is just because his Belt of Shadow Walking is described as having a little soulsteel in it, felt like a little thing worth incorporating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    Allev remains with the majority of the group as Stark and Brandr range ahead. This area they had traveled to is not one he would have liked to frequent. But for keeping the fires in the city lit, he'd do what was needed. And if it was true the dead and ghosts frequented this area, he had a responsibility to deal with them, right?

As the strange, armored figure becomes visible, Allev squints and looks towards him. He did not recognize the man (though clearly, the dead were in fact in this city), but the shifting, screaming armor .... Allev cast his mind back to the books, to viewing samples in the markets and what he had seen when trading with the groups of the gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Saint's eyes narrow briefly at the man called the Heart, but then he grins, sudden and innocent. Well, almost innocent. Somewhere in that range, at least.

"Hi, I'm Saint of Heroes. Sorry for intruding, won't be here long..."

Brushing the strange armored figure off, he turns back to the runaway thief and holds up his hands placatingly.

"Ilari, I'm feeling kinda disappointed here. We went to the Warden to try and get this all settled peacefully, but it turns out you did have this Exigence thing the whole time? I can't help you if you don't tell me what's going on!"
    Larin, you're able to slip under the notice of even your fellow circlemates.

"What was I supposed to say?" Ilari makes a silly mocking face. "Oh hai complete stranger, everyone is dying right now because I made a woopsie and there's no way I can fix it! Come help me survive the wrath of a god or two please?!"

He drops the silly expression and folds his arms. "I told you the truth. Zenmul sent me to steal a relic from the Warden; this little gold statue, looked like the Unconquered. On my way out, I was discovered, and in the rush I dropped it. It smashed, and..." He shrugged and threw his arms up. Spectral chains form, drooping from his wrists. "One breath I'm a mortal just barely scraping by, the next I have more power than I know what to do with. I thought I might be able to get it out of me, so I went around asking some sorcerers about it." He laughed, doubling over a bit. "But nope! Only way to get it out is to kill me. Zenmul wasn't going to accept that. The Keeper wasn't going to accept me as his champion. I thought about running, but this city is my whole life. Then..." He shrugged. "Well, you know the rest. Fires went out. I ran."

"My compatriot promised him sanctuary should he ever choose to flee the city." The Heart continues, stepping between Ilari and Saint. "A promise I intend to honor to the best of my ability. I am the Unhallowed Heart of the Bone Dragon. Take that name back with you, little 'hero'. It's all you'll gain from this place."

Heart doesn't sound threatening, despite his words. He sounds... tired. Like he's been down this exact road before a hundred times over.

Allev, you haven't personally seen this material before (not a lot of use for it even in this city) but you do recognize it, to the degree that there is no doubt. The Heart is wearing artifact lamellar armor, the kind of wonder that entire kingdoms have bled themselves dry trying to make. But this armor is forged from one of the most horrid materials know to Creation: soulsteel. It resonantes with the essence of the dead, and it is incredibly powerful. Soulsteel is created by an arcane and horrid process you don't fully understand (and have never had any wish to). You do know that it involves hammering hun ghosts - the very soul of a person - together into a nightmarish existence where individuality blurs, and their pain is unending. The half-formed faces you're seeing in the blackened steel are, in all likelihood, not mirages. Unfortunately, destroying soulsteel also destroys the souls inside, denying them a chance at reincarnation.

It is a truly horrid material, but it is also very rare, especially in the realm of the living. The fact that the Heart is wearing so much of it so brazenly is all the proof you need that he is no ordinary man.

The whispers grow louder.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-04 at 07:40 PM.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #131

BardGuy

Slow and steady undetectable Stark of Varlok draws his crossbow and begins to aim. Not at the boy, he has to live but at the sort of dead thing.
    And looking around for a window or a roof that a fit human could climb onto with some luck. After the first shot is fired Stark will need an exit.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-04 at 08:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint crosses his arms and tilts his head, like he's considering.

"...Well, yeah. If you'd asked me to help you get out of here, I would have. I've stolen stuff from gods before. Woulda punched the Warden right in his smug face, if he showed up, not that he would have, because he apparently doesn't get out of the house."

He throws up his hands, exasperated and rambling.

"I mean, maybe that's still an option? The Warden's threatening to ice the entire city to death if he doesn't get his power thing, but I'm still not going to just give him a person to kill. Maybe if you get far enough away and he knows he can't stop you, he'll give up? But maybe he's actually spiteful enough to kill the whole city just because he said he would."

The dashing and fearless hero runs a hand through his hair, turning it from "messy" to "equally messy but flopping the other way".

"Anyway, I'm sorry for being all snippy with you, Heart. You seem like a decent guy if you're trying to help Ilari out. Any thoughts?"
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-01-04 at 08:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since they found the skull marking, the dead, the feeling of darkness...

For the first time that night Reflection was not proud, boastful, or confident. She looked... Contemplative. No, that's to kind. She looked afraid.

Her tetsubo scrapped the earth behind her as she walked, the sound of jade grinding stone. Despite it, and the indentations left in the ground behind her she didn't look threatening. She looked concerned. This was bad. This was to fast. The Dead where already here. This place, it was in danger. so much danger if the eyes of the Abyss and those things they called Lords had turned upon this city. She wouldn't let it happen again. She wouldn't let another massacre happen again. She ignored the creature calling itself Unhallowed Heart of the Bone Dragon fort now, and focused on the boy. The boy. That's where you had to start. Save one person.

"
    Ilari do you know what the dead want." There was no shudder in her voice at least. She was a Dragon still, even if in the service of a different ideal now. And she had that much pride, still. Even in the face of the void itself she would not tremble. She didn't seem surprised at Ilari's explanation. It's what she had assumed once the God had revealed what had been stolen. But giving this to the Dead was...

It wasn't just suicide.

It was murder.

"
    They want the extinction of every living being in existence. I have seen, and survived what comes when they ride. Men. Women. Children. It makes no difference. They die, and their souls and bodies are used as parts, as fuel to cause further death. A destructive flame that spreads outwards until someone-" That poor boy, wreathed in sunlight- "stops it. Stamps it out. They may tell you otherwise. They are lying. I can offer you an alternative. One without the resources of the Dead, but one that will not make you an accessory to the genocide of peoples."

"You're a thief Ilari. You're not a murderer."

"
    Would you care to listen to my option?"
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

14. - Top - End - #134

BardGuy

Stark is genuinely impressed with some of the insights of his ...one can call them travel companions. If they manage to pull this off he will ensure that none of them go thirsty today. Sadly he has his doubts that the warrior in black will give away something so precious without a fight.

It would be nice if the boy decided to do what was right. It would make enforcing that decision more righteous and that is something Stark can appreciate.

With that in mind he balances the crossbow on the stonewall before him and silently licks the top of his thumb. A breeze of wind from the right. Stark adjusts the crossbow and prepares to fire on the warrior should he decide to take hostile action. With a bit of luck a shot between head and armor. Necks can be so vulnerable.

Staring at the warrior in black stark begins studying this figure trying to anticipate wether his thought is right that the warrior will fight to keep his prize, even if the prize refuses. Trying to anticipate while looking at body height and size where the warrior would grab the boy.

Spoiler: Read intentions against Heart
    Show

Socialise 5 + Perception 2 + Stunt 2
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-05 at 12:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Saint crosses his arms and tilts his head, like he's considering.

"...Well, yeah. If you'd asked me to help you get out of here, I would have. I've stolen stuff from gods before. Woulda punched the Warden right in his smug face, if he showed up, not that he would have, because he apparently doesn't get out of the house."

He throws up his hands, exasperated and rambling.

"I mean, maybe that's still an option? The Warden's threatening to ice the entire city to death if he doesn't get his power thing, but I'm still not going to just give him a person to kill. Maybe if you get far enough away and he knows he can't stop you, he'll give up? But maybe he's actually spiteful enough to kill the whole city just because he said he would."

The dashing and fearless hero runs a hand through his hair, turning it from "messy" to "equally messy but flopping the other way".

"Anyway, I'm sorry for being all snippy with you, Heart. You seem like a decent guy if you're trying to help Ilari out. Any thoughts?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Since they found the skull marking, the dead, the feeling of darkness...

For the first time that night Reflection was not proud, boastful, or confident. She looked... Contemplative. No, that's to kind. She looked afraid.

Her tetsubo scrapped the earth behind her as she walked, the sound of jade grinding stone. Despite it, and the indentations left in the ground behind her she didn't look threatening. She looked concerned. This was bad. This was to fast. The Dead where already here. This place, it was in danger. so much danger if the eyes of the Abyss and those things they called Lords had turned upon this city. She wouldn't let it happen again. She wouldn't let another massacre happen again. She ignored the creature calling itself Unhallowed Heart of the Bone Dragon fort now, and focused on the boy. The boy. That's where you had to start. Save one person.

"
    Ilari do you know what the dead want." There was no shudder in her voice at least. She was a Dragon still, even if in the service of a different ideal now. And she had that much pride, still. Even in the face of the void itself she would not tremble. She didn't seem surprised at Ilari's explanation. It's what she had assumed once the God had revealed what had been stolen. But giving this to the Dead was...

It wasn't just suicide.

It was murder.

"
    They want the extinction of every living being in existence. I have seen, and survived what comes when they ride. Men. Women. Children. It makes no difference. They die, and their souls and bodies are used as parts, as fuel to cause further death. A destructive flame that spreads outwards until someone-" That poor boy, wreathed in sunlight- "stops it. Stamps it out. They may tell you otherwise. They are lying. I can offer you an alternative. One without the resources of the Dead, but one that will not make you an accessory to the genocide of peoples."

"You're a thief Ilari. You're not a murderer."

"
    Would you care to listen to my option?"
    The Heart raised an eyebrow at Saint as he speaks. "Ilari's choices are very simple: stay and die, or leave and perhaps live. It seems a simple choice to me."

Reflection's appearance catches both of them off-guard. The chains in Ilari's hands writhe a moment, and though Heart doesn't appear to have any weapons, he stands

"Base slander. You say you saw the dead slaughter all, yet here you stand! I would not have him do anything of the sort. I am a knight, not a butcher." He glares at Reflections. "And I have no desire to stain my blades with a dragon's blood. Leave now if-"

"Wait." Ilari interrupted him. "... Let her talk."

Heart turns to glance at Ilari. "She cannot keep you safe. The Keeper cannot follow us into the Underworld, and by my honor you will be released into Creation again if you do not like my mistress' offer. There are shadowlands across every direction. The Keeper will never find you, and you may go as you please."

Ilari glances between them, still unsure.

Then, "Let her talk anyway. Please."

The Heart raises an eyebrow, grunts, and looks to Reflections, still standing between them.

Stark, the Unhallowed Heart is an open book to you. He is sincere; he intends to help Ilari get out of the city alive... but you can also tell he's a stubborn individual, and he will not relent his charge so easily. You're not entirely sure how he will react if Ilari decides to go back with the rest of you, mostly because he seems to not be sure either. More than that, though, you can tell that while he is sincere in his actions and statements... he's also waiting for something. You're not sure what, but his fingers are twitching; whatever's coming he's not going to have to wait long, and he'll have to move quickly from there.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-05 at 02:29 AM.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #136

BardGuy

Stark has very few options to communicate in this moment. But they are exalted.. if they can see him it should work.

He raises his left hand slightly points towards Heart and then raises his left foot and fake taps on the ground 2 times careful not to actually touch the floor. Then points towards Heart again and then to his own eyes and begins to turn his head scanning his immediate surroundings.

After that Stark continues aiming.

17. - Top - End - #137

"Slander?" For a moment Reflection's eyes focused towards the creature of darkness before her, the Death Knight. Bury the fear behind something else. Scorn? Scorn worked. "Maybe don't come to us wearing armor fashioned for eternally tormented souls before you think about trying to grab the high ground. I survived because your kind can be stopped. Because there exist those who won't let you turn all of Creation into little more than a mountain of corpses."

She took a breath, and focused. She was off balance. She needed to find her calm, she was of Earth, not Fire. She needed to be steady. Sure. She exhaled. "Kid. I get it. You knew this was a bad look from the start. But it was the only way you figured you'd see sunrise. And even if this was a bad choice, you couldn't deal with the bad choices tomorrow, if you died today." She glanced at the others who weren't hiding, the cat was already mostly out of the bag. Might as well pull the rest of the veil off. "But I can give you another option."

"The Order of the Illuminated."

"Look, I'm not really an Immaculate Monk, not anymore. I serve a different group now. I got found when I was in a... Dark place. And they made me an offer. They're trying to help the world pull back from the spiral its in. Things are getting worse and they're gathering Exalted, training them, supplying them, protecting them. Giving them tools to make things better. I'm decently placed there, and I can accept you into it. I'll deal with Warden one way or another. Kid, I don't care what you think but no one ever takes the Second Breath on accident. If you have it, it's because you're supposed to. But now you have to make a choice. If you go with him? You'll end up serving death one way or another. If not willingly then they'll break you until you do. You won't be helping pull the world back from disaster, you'll be accelerating it towards the brink."

She held out her hand towards him.

"So what do you say, Ilari? Do you want to protect the world? Or do you want to destroy it?"

He was to young to be having to make that choice. Hell, kids older than him could still exalt as Dragons. But here he was. Here they where. And he had to make a choice, and nonaction, was not an option.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brandr has no idea what the Order of the Illuminated is, but it doesn't really matter right now. He slinks through the shadows, ready to spring for Heart's throat if he reacts badly to Reflection's offer. They can decide what to do with Ilari and the Warden afterwards.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The finer details of Reflection’s arguments aside (and there were some things Allev had never heard about), the point remained the dead and their agents were in this city and it was unlikely they were here to do good. And if Ilari fled, the entire city might plunge back into darkness. No, he had to stay here. The Warden wouldn’t kill someone bearing his power, right? Unsure, Allev hesitates, as he had not thought the Warden would cut off the fires either. Perhaps his desperation ran far deeper than he thought.

But if a fight might break out here, Allev would be ready. He walks slowly closer to Saint and the Dragon, stopping slightly back from them with a hand rested on his sword.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps. But I didn't hammer them into shape; the crimes against these souls are not mine." He tapped the breast of his lamellar armor. "Make armor out of your crimes and see how light it is, 'Immaculate'."

Ilari is quiet for a few tense moments. He looks between the dragon and the deathknight, uncertainty plaguing his features. Perhaps sensing his hesitation, the Heart speaks quickly. "I have sworn to keep you safe, Ilari, this woman has no idea what-"

"Look," Ilari interrupts, "The Exigence gave me a lot of gifts. I can see the blood on your hands. Hers, too. There's a lot. And she's... well, she seems like she's telling the truth to me. Maybe it's the Immaculate texts talking, but she says she's seen it first hand and I believe her."

Ilari walks past the Heart, and stands next to Reflections. "I don't want to die. I don't want to kill anyone, either."

The Heart's eyes dart between Reflections, Ilari and Saint. "I could kill them both and just take you."

"Perhaps you could." Ilari said quietly, turning to look back at him. "But you are not the type to do that. For all the blood on your hands, I see not one betrayal."

"You heard the dragon." He growled. "There's no betrayal when killing your enemies.

"Not them." Ilari clarified. "Me."

There's a moment where the voices in the shadows writhe and grow, just on the edges of your hearing. All of you witnessing this standoff can feel the tension in the air as the deathknight looks over Saint and Reflections. There's no sound but the blowing of the wind. A few snowflakes land on the shadow that is Larin. Allev comes just barely into the light, hand on his sword. Heart's eyes land on him...

"... Fine." The Heart sighs, and shifts out of his stance. The whispers fade away, not gone, but further back. "Go from here, if you must. At least I can tell the Weeper her absence is why we lost you."

Ilari smiles a bit at that. "Tell her I said hi?"

"Sure. She won't care." He glances between each of the three arrivals he already knows about. "Well? Get out."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortunately for you, Ilari's base resolve is 2. He has a major intimacy that he could draw on here, but that puts him right at 5; exactly what you rolled.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-06 at 11:50 PM.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #141

BardGuy

Stark maintains position until Ilari reaches Reflection and continues aiming. Just in case a sudden change of heart comes along. Once Ilari reaches Reflection Stark lowers his weapon and tries to take back his position in the middle of the group.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Slowly, Saint of Heroes exhales, the tension starting to leave him.

"...Man, that got tense. I was sure someone was going to start swinging. That Heart guy is pretty odd."

He's more than willing to comply with the order to leave, and he doesn't say anything more until they're out of the ominous courtyard. This is more from needing some time to think about it than any real tact, but eventually he looks up at Ilari.

"What a mess, huh? Honestly, I feel a little out of my depth! If I can't hit something or steal- err, never mind. Reflection, what's that order you said you were part of? Illuminated? Never heard of 'em, but I don't know much about Immaculates anyway."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Trust me," Brander says, transforming back to his human form, "you don't want to. They make a habit of killing people like us."

"That was well said, Dragon. I hope we can be as persuasive when it comes time to keep the Warden from having another temper tantrum and freezing my city to death." He gives Heart a backwards glance as they leave, wondering what the fight would have been like.

24. - Top - End - #144

BardGuy

"I know this is not heroic and really not what you want to hear, but can we stop somewhere for hot soup? I am freezing here I barely can feel my fingers.While we are doing that I would gladly hear more about this new ... Illuminated philosophy?

Stark puts his gloves back on and desperately tries to warm his hands.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Firbolg in the Playground

Although he sees the others leave, Larin stays where he is, confident he still won't be seen. This Heart person was a new player in what was going on, and he didn't want to leave here knowing this little about him. The man had mentioned waiting for another of his people to arrive, so Larin waited to see who they were, hoping to ascertain more about the pair of them.

26. - Top - End - #146

Reflection didn't let her eyes leave Heart's, or he hands leave her weapon until she the Deathknight was out of sight. She didn't like leaving him there, honestly? In most other circumstances she's pressed for the kill, with at least two Celestials beside her she'd likely have been able to best this one and returned him to the earth where he belonged. Deny those monsters one more blade with which they would no doubt use to strike at Creation in the future. If not here, then elsewhere. Leaving a deathknight alive made her party to who knows how many needlessly ended lives down the line. She gripped her weapon so tight even her alabaster skin seemed pale, before trying calming again, and doing her best to put that name they had mentioned at the end out of her mind.

Questions she could ask the boy later.

"I'm starved too, never got to finish my meal before all this got going. But unfortunately for both of us, we're not finished tonight. Still work to do. You know I think that's what I miss most about, before I was exalted. I got to actually sleep. There's an old Immaculate saying about how rest is the gift the Dragons give to mortals but must deny to themselves. It's mostly a load of crap of course, if you'd ever seen a Dynast you'd know that but. The sentiment stands."

She felt around her waist for a mount before sighing, "Daana’d's ******** ***. Didn't even bring a flask. Ah well." She inclined her hand towards Brandr, "You're a native right, moon boy? I'm going to pitch my willingness to teach the kid Martial Arts and whatever else he's got an aptitude for, and stay in the region, and give him some connections that will help him, and through extension, the Warden's city out. Warden gets his Exalt just like he wanted. It may not be someone he would have specifically chosen, but given the Second Breath took the kid just fine it should be hard for the God to argue he can't take the burden, especially if he's got a decent mentor. Think he'll play along?"

She hoped he'd be on board but, it was hard to tell. Gods could be erratic but, she had promised the kid hadn't she? "Even if he doesn't, Ilari, I made a promise to you and I'm gonna keep it. So you don't fret. Just stay close."

"As for the Order of the Illuminated, it's not Immaculate Doctrine. It's... Something else. I'll happily explain some of it you all, give you the run down on what it is and what we do in specific. But please, don't tell anyone else in town what I am. It's a lot easier for me if people just assume I'm a wandering washed up Immaculate monk. Open Illuminated activity gets attention. Wyld Hunt kind of attention. You understand?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I make it about equal odds he takes the deal or we have to kill him. Probably more than once."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Yes, it would probably be for the best if the attention of the Wyld Hunt was not on this city for the time being." Allev responds, a hint of dryness coming out. Despite that, he's clearly very interested in what Reflection has to say, both about Ilari and the Illuminated. There was still much to learn

Allev then turns to Stark. "Are you injured? I'd be happy to take a look at what ails you when we stop next."

29. - Top - End - #149

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    Allev then turns to Stark. "Are you injured? I'd be happy to take a look at what ails you when we stop next."

"I don't know if it counts as injury but I can remember a time when I was able to feel my toes. So if you can help I will gladly accept."

Stark looks like he is trying a joke but it is pretty clear his hands appear to hurt from the cold.

Turning to the all and the Dragon : Is this place normal? Is this common in this city? I mean surely somebody put up wards against the dead and buried the deceased to prevent them.from coming back?...

I can remember a rumour that the dead invaded a city in the south and I am pretty sure some people did fight back. If this is to personal feel free to ignore me but: Did you see it?
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-10 at 12:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

The Heart locks eyes with Brandr. He looks at your spear, smirks, and then cracks his knuckles. As if to say "Oh I look forward to beating you."

He only pays some attention to Reflections as she leaves.

---

Osirle and Shungnis stick closer to Ilari than the rest of you do. Both of the guards are keeping a close eye on the thief as the trail continues. Ilari glances between each of you as the route continues.

"What will you do if the Keeper refuses, dragon?" Osirle asks, trying to keep the question casual.

---

Larin, you stay for a long while. Long enough that you almost leave, but just as the thought crosses your mind, you hear a rush of wind in the distance. Heart looks up at the sound, scowling. This is what he's been waiting on. Above, a woman appears riding a swirling cloud of wind.

She is dressed in black leather clothing that clings tightly to her form and leaves most of her legs and arms bare, despite the cold of the night. Her hair is wild and raven black. A small top hat sits at a jaunty angle on her head, and in her hands she carries a censer forged from the same metal as the Heart's armor. The smoke from the censer billows upwards into the sky, thick at first, but growing wispier as it rises. She holds a long chain forged from black steel, at the end of which is a censer. Like the Heart, she is alabaster white, though where the Heart was sallow and gaunt, she looks like a flawless statue in motion. On her forehead, there is a emerald jewel set into a golden diadem.

"Nice of you to finally show up." The Heart growls, not even trying to hide his irritation. "Do you enjoy being useless?"

"There is no need to project your insecurities onto me. I realize I was supposed to be here ten minutes ago-"

"Over an hour ago."

"Yes, well, I promise my project will make up for it." She tossed her hair over one shoulder. "Did you know that putting family members together in soulsteel makes them aware of each other, but unable to communicate in any meaningful way?" Weeper spoke with the sort of glee that your average nerd might have when discussing their chosen obsession. "And I can hear their misery, oh it's delightful!"

The Heart's look of distaste seemed appropriate, if not extreme enough. "And this is necessary for your new... 'project'?"

"Hm? Oh, no. It's the personal touch that makes things fun, you see." She glances around the prison yard. "If I'm so late, where's the boy?"

"Gone." He growls. "You took so long he started to question our ability to get him out. Then a dragon showed up with a small entourage - including but not limited to a Lunar - and offered him a better deal."

"... Well that's annoying." She pouts. "Why didn't you take him anyway? Let me guess, 'it wouldnta been wight'. I have no idea why the Lover puts up with you."

"Focus." The Heart folds his arms over his chest. "Not only did we fail to get the Exigent out of the city but we also have a Lunar and a Dragon-Blooded to deal with. And where there's one, there's many. That's a problem."

"Nothing a good atrocity or three can't solve." She waves a hand, brushing aside his concerns. "A stronghold among the living is useful for the Deathlords, but this city isn't like Thorns. No one cares about it, least of all the Realm; we should be more than sufficient to take it."

"Be that as it may, the Lunars are already eyeing this place, and there is a former Immaculate here. And if Ilari is here, he will fight with them."

She chuckles. "Oh don't worry about that. Lunars, Dragons, Solars... even they must die one day. By the time we are done, this city will beg to be like Thorns. Let's get back to the necropolis."

The Heart steps up onto the swirling wind platform. "Ilari sends his regards."

The Weeper giggles as he comes up. "I don't care."

The wind platform flies straight up and then shoots away into the night.

... It's getting very cold where you are and they seem to be gone.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-10 at 09:37 PM.

Extended Sig