New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] Winter is Coming (IC)

The Heart locks eyes with Brandr. He looks at your spear, smirks, and then cracks his knuckles. As if to say "Oh I look forward to beating you."
    Brandr sneers in return. The feeling is mutual.

Osirle and Shungnis stick closer to Ilari than the rest of you do. Both of the guards are keeping a close eye on the thief as the trail continues. Ilari glances between each of you as the route continues.

"What will you do if the Keeper refuses, dragon?" Osirle asks, trying to keep the question casual.
    There's nothing casual in Brandr's answer: "I'll tell you what we aren't going to do; we aren't going to stand by while he shuts off the fires again and does the dead's work for them."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Satisfied with the information sticking around has gotten if, if not with how cold the wait had left him, Larin gets moving, leaving the yard and heading back to the Court of Chains. It was the place he was most likely to find the others after their head start, and even if they weren't there he needed to talk with the Warden again. As he walks, he considers Ilari's situation. If the Warden would not have him, perhaps he could offer the boy an alternative by his side...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WarDragon View Post
    There's nothing casual in Brandr's answer: "I'll tell you what we aren't going to do; we aren't going to stand by while he shuts off the fires again and does the dead's work for them."
    "Maybe before going at it we can dicuss the minor issue of an entire dead neighborhood. I knew this place was...special ...but."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    "Maybe before going at it we can dicuss the minor issue of an entire dead neighborhood. I knew this place was...special ...but."
    "It's been abandoned for a long time. Before the ghosts it was thought to be a cursed place, even for this city. It was where the worst criminals went to die. Now..." Ilari shrugs. "Getting rid of ghosts isn't simple. Some would say more trouble than it's worth." He glares at Osirle and Shungnis.

Shugnis grips her spear tighter. "Well that's one reason what we got an exigent for, mate. But then it got nicked. Ya wouldn't happen to know anythin' about it, would ya?"

Ilari doesn't answer her.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-12 at 11:54 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #155

BardGuy

Moving forward pulling his clothes tight Stark decides that if this neighborhood is dead anyway he might as well let dignity suffer. He pulls his clothes tighter his face now barely visible and begins a long and loud complaint: I swear it is even colder then before . How in the name of the gods do people live here?....*Cursing*

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're thinking about Thorns. And... I wasn't at Thorns, thank the Dragons." She explained, nodding at Stark as they began their return to the Temple, and the moment that would likely decide much in their immediate future. She still felt chilled, and it wasn't just from the cold. She drew her cloak closer as she walked, her imposing figure easy for the eye to catch and follow. "Thorns wasn't the only tragedy the Death Knights have performed, just the most notable. I... I had my encounter when I was still part of the Immaculate Order. We had been tracking a Solar. We got more than we bargained for when we found a Death Knight, in a small port town. The Death Knight... She killed to many people before we stopped her, drove her off. I don't like thinking about it. But I don't have the luxury I suppose, and I'll teach you all what I know about them and what you can learn from the incident later. I need to time to plan."
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

7. - Top - End - #157

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Thorns wasn't the only tragedy the Death Knights have performed, just the most notable. I... I had my encounter when I was still part of the Immaculate Order. We had been tracking a Solar. We got more than we bargained for when we found a Death Knight, in a small port town. The Death Knight... She killed to many people before we stopped her, drove her off. I don't like thinking about it. But I don't have the luxury I suppose, and I'll teach you all what I know about them and what you can learn from the incident later. I need to time to plan."

Stark looks like he is fighting the cold for his existence while he tries to somewhat jump around and desperately maintain his body temperature.
    After he hears the news he looks genuinely
    surprised.
    "I did not know that.. it does change some things.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint of Heroes, when he's not actively drawing attention to himself, is deceptively sneaky. He slings one arm over Shungnis's shoulder as they walk, so smoothly that it's like he just materialized from the chilly air.

"Careful there, you should be nice to Ilari! He might be your boss soon, you know?"

He grins at the thought, and winks at Ilari.

"How did you two end up with this job, anyway? No offense, but doesn't your boss think everyone here is a criminal, for their bloodline alone?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Saint of Heroes, when he's not actively drawing attention to himself, is deceptively sneaky. He slings one arm over Shungnis's shoulder as they walk, so smoothly that it's like he just materialized from the chilly air.

"Careful there, you should be nice to Ilari! He might be your boss soon, you know?"

He grins at the thought, and winks at Ilari.

"How did you two end up with this job, anyway? No offense, but doesn't your boss think everyone here is a criminal, for their bloodline alone?"
    Shungnis' eyes narrow, but she doesn't pull away from Saint. She's warmer than he might have expected; perhaps a side effect of the Keeper's protection. Ilari's near-constant nervous expression brightens a bit at Ilari's suggestion.

"Criminality is inherited here, but like any prison you can reduce your punishment or get yourself moved into lesser-security areas." Osirle explains. "He'd prefer innocents that took the oath, but the Keeper has to recruit from the prison population. He makes do with what he can find. Shungnis was born from a visiting noble and one of the minor offense lines, so her blood's pretty clean."

Shungnis grumbles. "It's a nice way o' sayin' I'm a bastard o' murderers and bluebloods."

"My family line started out pretty awful but we've been cleaning up our act for centuries." Osirle slammed a fist against his own chest, grinning wide. "Serial killers, psychopaths, traitors, but me and mine rose past that. We're some of the best informants that the Warden has ever had, rooting out the corrupt and ignoble that would continue to taint their blood with-"

"Snitches. The entire line's fulla snitches." Shungnis snickers. "Lotta ****ty people 'ere still commitin' crime. Osirel's lot talks 'bout it, gets lighta sentences."

"It sounds awful when you put it that way." Osrile grumbles, folding his arms. "Those people you saw chained down outside the Court have earned the worst of all punishments for their crimes, at least for a while. At least they don't go Below." He shudders, and Shungnis bites her lower lip. Those of you from Fortitude would know that going 'below' meant going down into the mines, with the primordial god of Fortitude. There are entire tribes of prisoners that grew up toiling in that darkness, but few ever leave it permanently.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-15 at 01:44 PM.

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

"...This place has an undercity? Where you send the worst if the worst to die?" Reflection sounded alarmed, though not the moralistic kind of alarm. The kind of alarm if someone who just realized the cliff they're standing is starting to crumble.

11. - Top - End - #161

BardGuy

"...This place has an undercity? Where you send the worst if the worst to die?" Reflection sounded alarmed, though not the moralistic kind of alarm. The kind of alarm if someone who just realized the cliff they're standing is starting to crumble.

Stark looks up and is still freezing while looking at the immaculate:

"You think that is the odd part? Compared to being guilty at birth?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"No. Well, kinda, see..." Shungnis hesitates. "The Warden runs the city up here, but he ain't the god'f it, if ya get my meanin'. It don't really got a name, so it's hard to talk about. Or to, f'r that matter."

"Fortitude is a prison, but it's in a pretty terrible part of the north. We need food and other supplies shipped in to keep us all fed." Osirle continues. He points downward. "Beneath the city there's a set of mines that we pull gems and certain rare plants out of. We trade them for supplies we need to survive. There's entire tribes down there, mining for crimes against Creation itself."

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean yes, this whole culture is incredibly messed up but my primary concern is that from what I'm hearing there is a small army of potential Death Knight sympathizers tunneling underneath the city right now. Is there any oversight to what's going on down there? Are any of your people in charge? It's not left to it's own devices, surely?" Her pace was quickening, she was no tactician, war had never been her forte, but she could still read a bad situation.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"I mean yes, this whole culture is incredibly messed up but my primary concern is that from what I'm hearing there is a small army of potential Death Knight sympathizers tunneling underneath the city right now. Is there any oversight to what's going on down there? Are any of your people in charge? It's not left to it's own devices, surely?" Her pace was quickening, she was no tactician, war had never been her forte, but she could still read a bad situation.
    Shungnis and Osirle look at each other a moment.

Then Shungnis, hesitantly, speaks. "... It's... possible."

"... I served a stint down there as a guard once."

Shungnis glances at Osirle. "Wha? I din't know that."

"Volunteered. I didn't stay long. The Warden, Zenmul, even the fair folk? You can talk to them, it's close enough to talking to a person even if they're big and weird." Osirle holds his spear closer to him. "The Shadow Below is... I don't even know. It's more a force of nature than a living being. You don't talk to an earthquake. You don't reason with the wind. You don't suggest to the darkness that it be a bit lighter for your benefit. It's just... there, always there in the back of your mind."

He glances at Reflections. "My point is you don't need to worry about anything happening down there. You might find sympathizers to the deathknights, but open rebellion in such a place is simple suicide."

Saint, you've dealt with a lot of gods. Even the weird, esoteric, powerful ones tend to have some form or another that can be interacted with. This 'Shadow Below' sounds a bit 'out there' even for a deity.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Saint thinks it over, then frowns.

"...Huh. I mean, how can you be sure it's a god, then? It could be a demon, for all you know."

Not that he knows much about demons, but the priests back home seemed to think that they were bad. He figured it was another term for "anathema" for a while, but apparently he's anathema, so it's probably more complicated.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Saint thinks it over, then frowns.

"...Huh. I mean, how can you be sure it's a god, then? It could be a demon, for all you know."

Not that he knows much about demons, but the priests back home seemed to think that they were bad. He figured it was another term for "anathema" for a while, but apparently he's anathema, so it's probably more complicated.
    Shungnis starts giving you the stink-eye, though she doesn't pull away. "Warden sez it's the god o' the city. Good 'nuff for me, no reason why he'd give that to someone else if'n it weren't true. There a reason you thinkin' otherwise?"

---

As you go through the city, making your separate ways back through to the Court of Chains... you see far more glowing windows and you hear voices. There's still some confusion, but the danger has passed, and this is becoming clearer to everyone now. Once or twice you even hear someone laughing. Though the night remains cold, and you may be eager to get out of it, you get the sense that despite everything, Fortitude's people will live to see another sunrise. All that's left now is to deal with the Warden, and the matter of Ilari...

The group meets back up at the Court of Chains. The place remains cold and imposing, and as you step inside, the air is still only barely tolerable. Above you, the cloaked figure of the Keeper of Chains, Warden of Fortitude, simply floats and glares. Ilari shrinks back.

It seems that the Keeper has gathered his guards back to his side during the time you've been gone. Osirle and Shungnis are standing behind you, but there's another 4 in the chamber.

There's a moment of silence, as the group of guards, Ilari, the Keeper, and the circle all stare.

"You are the thief."

The young man nods.

"You will return what you have stolen and you will be tried."

"My lord," Osirle speaks, "there's a slight complication. He dropped the idol and it shattered. He bears your exigence now."

The Keeper's eyes turn towards his guard. "Really now. An Exigence cannot be removed from the soul once it has taken hold. The only way to retrieve my exigence would be to slay you."

The guards grip their weapons.

"Tell me why I shouldn't, criminal scum."

Ilari shrinks back, trembling.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-16 at 05:49 PM.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #167

Having just reunited with the others when they reached the Court, Larin steps forwards when the Warden threatens Ilari. "Because we have larger issues. The enemy you were preparing for is already here, they plan to kill this city, and they have already gone after Ilari and the Exigence. They want it, and you've already shown you cannot reliably protect it. Keeping it in Ilari and preparing him for what is to come is a better use of our time, and keeps it safer, than you killing him and hiding it away to get stolen again." Larin sighs, looking the Warden in the eye. "If you try to harm him, I will fight you. You recognised what I am now, and you know what that would mean, and how it would weaken any defence we have against this..." He pauses, remembering the two strangers' words. "Deathlord. Your personal pride must be set aside, if you truly want to protect this place as I do."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What guarantee do you have you'll be able to get it back, Warden, and it won't just return from whence it came? Give the boy a chance; you aren't likely to find someone more skilled than a thief willing to steal from you. Speaks to more bravery than he's showing now, too." He gives Ilari an 'encouraging' smack on the back. "Stand up straight, kid, show your backbone."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Egos abound. Malfeas below this is why you don't let men be in charge of things.

She walked forward, putting her hands out on either side, attempting to deescalate what was happening as she spoke. "I'm not a scholar of the second breath but finding someone else suitable for your Exaltation isn't going to be trivial. The fact it so readily accepted him speaks towards his ability in the role. I've promised the boy help and aid, and training. If you accept him as your exalt your city will only stand to gain from the arrangement. If you deny him you will find yourself standing alone against the coming Death. Think reasonably about the situation, Warden."

She stared him down for a moment before giving the boy a comforting nod as well. He needed to say it. By saying it it would help make it real.

"[COLOR="#B22222]" What say you Illari. Will you protect this city? Defend your fellows[/COLOR]?"
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2021-01-16 at 06:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

BardGuy

This is a time for hereos. When principles are measured and violence is threatened. When what is right must be done.

Stark gazes over this group and slowly moves to the side next to one of the burning fires , he is very cold, rubs his hands above the flames goes in cover behind it should violence break out. He does not touch his weapon and does not look like he wants to challenge anyone. And goes into a very defensive posture behind the fire.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-17 at 09:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

BardGuy

Standing there from behind cover Stark looks at all these very passionate people that appear to want the best for themselves and others.
    And he wishes he could remain there. But the truth is the boy was dumb and did what he should not have. And that was something Stark understood all to well. Memories from a better and simpler time filled his mind.

Damn.

Stark gives up his cover and steps forward. Directing his orders to the closest guard.

There is no doubt in his words and not the slightest bit of submission.

"Guard!
    Bring everyone in this room a chair and 5 tables I would not mind some tea and honey.Bring paper and feathers to write. If we argue we should argue like people that want to achieve something.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Having just reunited with the others when they reached the Court, Larin steps forwards when the Warden threatens Ilari. "Because we have larger issues. The enemy you were preparing for is already here, they plan to kill this city, and they have already gone after Ilari and the Exigence. They want it, and you've already shown you cannot reliably protect it. Keeping it in Ilari and preparing him for what is to come is a better use of our time, and keeps it safer, than you killing him and hiding it away to get stolen again." Larin sighs, looking the Warden in the eye. "If you try to harm him, I will fight you. You recognised what I am now, and you know what that would mean, and how it would weaken any defence we have against this..." He pauses, remembering the two strangers' words. "Deathlord. Your personal pride must be set aside, if you truly want to protect this place as I do."
    "What guarantee do you have you'll be able to get it back, Warden, and it won't just return from whence it came? Give the boy a chance; you aren't likely to find someone more skilled than a thief willing to steal from you. Speaks to more bravery than he's showing now, too." He gives Ilari an 'encouraging' smack on the back. "Stand up straight, kid, show your backbone."
    Egos abound. Malfeas below this is why you don't let men be in charge of things.

She walked forward, putting her hands out on either side, attempting to deescalate what was happening as she spoke. "I'm not a scholar of the second breath but finding someone else suitable for your Exaltation isn't going to be trivial. The fact it so readily accepted him speaks towards his ability in the role. I've promised the boy help and aid, and training. If you accept him as your exalt your city will only stand to gain from the arrangement. If you deny him you will find yourself standing alone against the coming Death. Think reasonably about the situation, Warden."

She stared him down for a moment before giving the boy a comforting nod as well. He needed to say it. By saying it it would help make it real.

" What say you Illari. Will you protect this city? Defend your fellows?"
    This is a time for hereos. When principles are measured and violence is threatened. When what is right must be done.

Stark gazes over this group and slowly moves to the side next to one of the burning fires , he was very cold, rubs his hands above the flames goes in cover behind it should violence break out. He does not touch his weapon and does not look like he wants to challenge anyone. And goes into a very defensive posture behind the fire.
    Larin, the Warden's guards glare at you, but the Warden himself just flat-out ignores you.

"His 'skill', gangster, lies in theft. And what bravery he may have is far overshadowed by his apparent cowardice." The Keeper growls. "This boy stole from a god and put all of Fortitude at risk. He cannot simply walk away without punishment!!"

"Me?!" He yelped. "You're the one who took all the fire away!"

"And you knew exactly why. All you had to do to fix it was return. And yet, you had to be brought back by this group."

"He was going to run off with the deathknights, sir." Osirle added.

The Keeper's eyes narrow at Reflections. "How noble and deserving this little thief is, truly."

Ilari scowls and he steps towards Keeper. "I came back!"

"When you had no choice."

When Stark orders a table brought, one of the guards turns to leave the room. She makes it to the door before she stops, then turns around, irritated. "Wait a second why am I listening to you?! You're not in charge here!!"

"... Mosaic, please retrieve a table, paper, quill, etc etc. It's going to be a long night."

"You got it boss!" Mosaic whistles a merry tune as she skips out of the room.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #173

BardGuy

Spoiler: Quote
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

"His 'skill', gangster, lies in theft. And what bravery he may have is far overshadowed by his apparent cowardice." The Keeper growls. "This boy stole from a god and put all of Fortitude at risk. He cannot simply walk away without punishment!!"

"Me?!" He yelped. "You're the one who took all the fire away!"

"And you knew exactly why. All you had to do to fix it was return. And yet, you had to be brought back by this group."

"He was going to run off with the deathknights, sir." Osirle added.

The Keeper's eyes narrow at Reflections. "How noble and deserving this little thief is, truly."

Ilari scowls and he steps towards Keeper. "I came back!"

"When you had no choice."

When Stark orders a table brought, one of the guards turns to leave the room. She makes it to the door before she stops, then turns around, irritated. "Wait a second why am I listening to you?! You're not in charge here!!"

"... Mosaic, please retrieve a table, paper, quill, etc etc. It's going to be a long night."

"You got it boss!" Mosaic whistles a merry tune as she skips out of the room.

" If I may offer not a solution.. but a pathway to certainty and trust?

The Hearthlord spoke of a god once.This god can apparently punish anyone who defies a promise made.

If I see it correctly there is :

First a claim the Lord if this City has against you Ilari for theft.
    A wish you have that he can fulfill , to not turn off the fires as long as you serve loyally?

Second the wish of the people within this city that the new chosen may protect them against the undead?

Third an offer by the noble Dragon Blooded to teach the new chosen and maybe receive the services and friendship of a loyal student years later?

You Ilari now have the chance to consider what your existence may be like. Not every chosen receives that chance.

Stark looks into the room with the question in his eyes: did I miss anything?

24. - Top - End - #174

Larin isn't too annoyed by the god not responding to him. He heard what was said, and that was what mattered. If he forced Larin to oppose him now, it was his own fault.

The appearance of tables and papers isn't too encouraging for him, the conversation looking like it was heading towards a lot of time deciding very little, but Stark's statements pique his interest.

"If Ilari wants training, I can see if my sifu is willing, or failing that provide some training myself. He might find my ways of fighting more familiar to his normal ways of doing things, and they work very well in a city like this. And yes, of course I'm fighting the dead. I've heard them talk about Fortitude. They must die if the city is to live, and fighting for the city is what I've been doing since my Second Breath."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-18 at 10:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"The others hear speak truly. The people of this city will need our help, likely all of our help when the dead come calling. Would service to the city not serve as recompense enough for the robbery?

Besides, Ilari was hired to acquire this statue in particular. While ignorance of the severity of a crime should not be the full defense, neither was he intending to take your exigence in the beginning. Since it does seem to have taken to him, he should have a chance to show his value.
    Allev grimaced as he said the latter portion. He would rather not be arguing with the Warden about this situation in the first place, but keeping the forces in this room preserved for the real battles was important. And, he was angry that yet again a mortal agent (or at least at the time mortal) quite possibly would be paying the cost for ultimately machinations of the much more powerful leaders of the gangs.

26. - Top - End - #176

BardGuy

Spoiler: Larin
    Show
    Larin isn't too annoyed by the god not responding to him. He heard what was said, and that was what mattered. If he forced Larin to oppose him now, it was his own fault.

The appearance of tables and papers isn't too encouraging for him, the conversation looking like it was heading towards a lot of time deciding very little, but Stark's statements pique his interest.

"If Ilari wants training, I can see if my sifu is willing, or failing that provide some training myself. He might find my ways of fighting more familiar to his normal ways of doing things, and they work very well in a city like this. And yes, of course I'm fighting the dead. I've heard them talk about Fortitude. They must die if the city is to live, and fighting for the city is what I've been doing since my Second Breath."

Finding one competent Sifu for a young chosen can be a great challenge finding two can be counted as a great blessing. I think your talents might be needed sooner rather then later.

Spoiler: Allev
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    "The others hear speak truly. The people of this city will need our help, likely all of our help when the dead come calling. Would service to the city not serve as recompense enough for the robbery?

Besides, Ilari was hired to acquire this statue in particular. While ignorance of the severity of a crime should not be the full defense, neither was he intending to take your exigence in the beginning. Since it does seem to have taken to him, he should have a chance to show his value.
    Allev grimaced as he said the latter portion. He would rather not be arguing with the Warden about this situation in the first place, but keeping the forces in this room preserved for the real battles was important. And, he was angry that yet again a mortal agent (or at least at the time mortal) quite possibly would be paying the cost for ultimately machinations of the much more powerful leaders of the gangs.

You are right. We have not mentioned that Ilaria did not know what he was doing. And that the individual Zenmul apparently knew very well what to look for. But how did Zenmul know what to look for? And if he is responsible should Ilaria visit him with allies to restore justice?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I was wondering when you were going to drop the act, Marius," Brandr says with amusement as the guard unthinkingly obeys. How does he do that?

Brandr shrugs insolently at the Warden. "Sounds like a true son of Fortitude to me. And he did choose us over the Deathknights, even knowing he'd have to face you. Besides, even if he's not the Exalt you wanted, he's the one you've got. Maybe the only one you'll ever get. Seems to me you're better off trying to mold him than throwing away your chance.|

28. - Top - End - #178

BardGuy

Looking at Brandr: I have to admit I did not expect this city to be so ... accepting. So I guess compared to others I am just a bit paranoid.

Stark looks at Ilari and then at the Warden.

"For the sake of maintaining this city for living entities and not an undead stronghold I am willing to witness any fair and clearly defined contract and oath. The question is: What is the plan Lord Justice?"

With that turned if possible only so the warden can see it and not his men Starks head begins to slightly glow and the symbol of the Eclipse Caste shines through.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-20 at 08:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Quote
    Show

" If I may offer not a solution.. but a pathway to certainty and trust?

The Hearthlord spoke of a god once.This god can apparently punish anyone who defies a promise made.

If I see it correctly there is :

First a claim the Lord if this City has against you Ilari for theft.
    A wish you have that he can fulfill , to not turn off the fires as long as you serve loyally?

Second the wish of the people within this city that the new chosen may protect them against the undead?

Third an offer by the noble Dragon Blooded to teach the new chosen and maybe receive the services and friendship of a loyal student years later?

You Ilari now have the chance to consider what your existence may be like. Not every chosen receives that chance.

Stark looks into the room with the question in his eyes: did I miss anything?
    Ilari is very much unsure, and as he looks between the Keeper and Reflections, doesn't seem convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post

Finding one competent Sifu for a young chosen can be a great challenge finding two can be counted as a great blessing. I think your talents might be needed sooner rather then later.

You are right. We have not mentioned that Ilaria did not know what he was doing. And that the individual Zenmul apparently knew very well what to look for. But how did Zenmul know what to look for? And if he is responsible should Ilaria visit him with allies to restore justice?
    "I was wondering when you were going to drop the act, Marius," Brandr says with amusement as the guard unthinkingly obeys. How does he do that?

Brandr shrugs insolently at the Warden. "Sounds like a true son of Fortitude to me. And he did choose us over the Deathknights, even knowing he'd have to face you. Besides, even if he's not the Exalt you wanted, he's the one you've got. Maybe the only one you'll ever get. Seems to me you're better off trying to mold him than throwing away your chance.|
    Looking at Brandr: I have to admit I did not expect this city to be so ... accepting. So I guess compared to others I am just a bit paranoid.

Stark looks at Ilari and then at the Warden.

"For the sake of maintaining this city for living entities and not an undead stronghold I am willing to witness any fair and clearly defined contract and oath. The question is: What is the plan Lord Justice?"

With that turned if possible only so the warden can see it and not his men Starks head begins to slightly glow and the symbol of the Eclipse Caste shines through.
    His eyes narrow at Stark. "The plan was to grant this Exaltation to one who could be trusted. I would then train them to fight the dead and their dark masters at the head of my guards. Fortitude would be safe, and its goods would continue to flow. A relatively low cost and low risk plan for the gains it would bring. That plan is, obviously, in tatters. Instead it goes to the servant of one of my enemies. Worse, a thief."

"Ignorance of the law does not excuse its breaking... Zenmul will be dealt with but Ilari had a roll to play." He says toward Allev.

When asked about how Zenmul could've known about it, the Keeper's chains drawn inward and he folds his arms over his chest. "... Zenmul is this city's food deity. We... regularly conflict over precise rationing. I don't know who specifically fed him the information, but most likely he has informants among other northern deities, perhaps one of travel. Proper approval for Exigence is rare, it would have caught attention."

He glances at Brandr as he makes his comment. "That is beside the point. It is not simply that he is unworthy of it, but that he cannot be trusted to carry out his task. The fact that he is a 'true son of Fortitude' in your eyes is half the problem. A criminal cannot simply get away with what they have done!!"

"All of that said..." He glances between Ilari and Stark. "... with this Eclipse caste overseeing it, I am willing to negotiate terms. What, precisely, did you have in mind? Training is a given, of course, and I will not turn down additional teachers." He glances at Larin. "... Well. I won't turn down the Dragon's teachings."

Ilari glares. "What, are you kidding me? Community service on Saturnsday and I get to walk?"

"No." The Keeper growled. "Too light a punishment. But I am willing to hear what this group has in mind."

"How do I know you won't just kill me anyway when they leave?"

"Boy, leaving aside my distaste for breaking legal agreements, an Eclipse Caste can make the terms of your sentence sanctified by heaven itself. If I attempted to renege on that deal in any way, the curse of heaven would fall upon me."

That actually catches the young man's interest. "... How do I know you won't just kill me when the contract's done?"

"I suppose you don't. Unless that's built into the deal."

Ilari glances down at his hands. From his wrists, the same glowing spiritual chains you briefly saw in the Broken Gallows. He then looks around at the other Exalted.

"... I know I can do so much more now." He says quietly. "And I... I don't want Fortitude destroyed. But I won't be a slave. Least of all to one of the gods of this place. Isn't it your fault my home is such a ****hole to begin with?"

The Warden's eyes narrow. "Do not speak of what you do not understand, boy. It is your life on the line and I am being very generous."

"Well. That's a great way to start an employment."

Ilari and Keeper both turn their gaze to Stark. It seems they're at least willing to hear out the terms of whatever contract you hope to forge.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-01-21 at 10:53 PM.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #180

BardGuy

"If I understand it correctly, we are treating :

First necessary punishment for theft. Since it was very valuable I believe that 8 to 10 years would constitute the normal punishment within the Realm?
    So 9 years of service with limited pay, limited free time and limited autonomy?
    After these 9 years of service the theft is paid for.

Second any chosen is expected to help and serve his god. So 21 years of service with adequate pay, adequate free time and adequate autonomy? So if Ilari serves as your general, he should be compensated in money, free time and decision making as your general. The same goes for other roles, of course.

During these 30 years you will not attempt to kill each other, nor have each other killed. You will not attempt to steal from each other or have somebody people steal from each other for you.

Now conflicts are always possible. Back in the old age of the Shogunate when two houses disagreed with each other 5 Elementals were summoned and each house chose one arbitrator. The majority of 4 of these 7 would settle disputes. While this would be a good formula to settle conflict between you really any council both of you deem independent would be able to pass a just verdict?

Does this sound adequate to you?

Concerning Fortitude and your relationship to the city is that something you wish to define and guarantee?
    Do the potential Sifus maybe wish to define the terms for new students?
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2021-01-22 at 10:11 AM.