New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Artificer Replicate item

I only have the DND beyond Artificer text, no Tasha's yet. It looks like the Replicate Item tables are relatively small. Is there a specific rarity or theme running through each of the tables?
    Trying to determine if I ought to add some of my custom items on as options.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Artificer Replicate item

Not much theme or consistency, no... and Tasha’s leaves a small number of items out that Eberron printing had

3. - Top - End - #3

Hard question. The more common general magical items are in a game the less powerful replicate items will seem.
    Overall it's a good spread.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As far as the lists, Tasha's took out the warforged specific items and added Necklace of Adaptation (which isn't much to write home about).

...but Tasha's also added that any common magic item that isn't a scroll or a potion could be replicated. From Tasha's, this means Prosthetic Limb, Illuminator's Tattoo, Masquerade Tattoo, and Spellwrought Tattoo (cantrip and 1st level). Of those, Spellwrought Tattoo at 1st level is excellent, and adds some nice spice.

Want a familiar? Boom
    Want hex for an hour a day? Boom
    Want to store bane/bless in a Glyph of Warding? Boom
    Want to store 5 Goodberry charges in a Ring of Spell Storing while your building magic items and not adventuring? Boom

What's not clear to me is whether you need to name the spell when you level up and pick the infusion, or if you can change the spell every night.
    Last edited by Silpharon; 2020-12-04 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Silpharon View Post
    As far as the lists, Tasha's took out the warforged specific items and added Necklace of Adaptation (which isn't much to write home about).

...but Tasha's also added that any common magic item that isn't a scroll or a potion could be replicated. From Tasha's, this means Prosthetic Limb, Illuminator's Tattoo, Masquerade Tattoo, and Spellwrought Tattoo (cantrip and 1st level). Of those, Spellwrought Tattoo at 1st level is excellent, and adds some nice spice.

Want a familiar? Boom
    Want hex for an hour a day? Boom
    Want to store bane/bless in a Glyph of Warding? Boom
    Want to store 5 Goodberry charges in a Ring of Spell Storing while your building magic items and not adventuring? Boom

What's not clear to me is whether you need to name the spell when you level up and pick the infusion, or if you can change the spell every night.
    That, I did not notice. That's going to be fun as heck let me tell you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Artificer can make the boots and cloak of elven kind to be a good scout. He has the Darkvision spell or can make goggles of the night if necessary. Alchemy Jug gives two free flasks of acid a day which can be used with Catapult spell to give that spell a little extra oomph. Do not underestimate the value of a bag of holding.
    Last edited by Pex; 2020-12-04 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I only have the DND beyond Artificer text, no Tasha's yet. It looks like the Replicate Item tables are relatively small. Is there a specific rarity or theme running through each of the tables?
    Replicate item is a tricky infusion because it has the ability to drop the artificer's effectiveness like a stone in water or cause it to rise above the clouds like a weather balloon. Too many crappy items and you definitley weaken the options and leave a sour taste in the players mouths, too many good ones and it causes balance issues and other complications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    The Artificer can make the boots and cloak of elven kind to be a good scout. He has the Darkvision spell or can make goggles of the night if necessary. Alchemy Jug gives two free flasks of acid a day which can be used with Catapult spell to give that spell a little extra oomph. Do not underestimate the value of a bag of holding.
    This is basically the core "theme" of the replicate items infusion: items that could be useful but require some thinking, planning, and clever insight to be truly effective. Obviously bags of holding and alchemy jugs and the elven kind items are going to help but most of the other stuff is either circumstantial or needs some thought put into them if you want them to get enough use to justify wasting an infusion. Edit the list 6th level and below with caution and care. As for 10th level, you really get everything awesome for artificer then and you really shouldn't edit this one at all, or the 14th level one for that matter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

BardGuy

Remember that the replicated items work as infusions. Artificers can also create "normal" magic items which means that the only restrictions on what they can make is what the DM allows.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

So, at level 13, after a timeskip (pre-campaign), I should probably let him have a few extra crafted items, huh?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So, at level 13, after a timeskip (pre-campaign), I should probably let him have a few extra crafted items, huh?
    Not "let him" just tell him how long of a timeskip he has and he can figure out how much money he has to craft stuff. At level 13 if you give him a big enough skip like say 3 months, he's going to be armed to the teeth with spell scrolls, potions, and other uncommon to common magic items.

11. - Top - End - #11

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    Not "let him" just tell him how long of a timeskip he has and he can figure out how much money he has to craft stuff. At level 13 if you give him a big enough skip like say 3 months, he's going to be armed to the teeth with spell scrolls, potions, and other uncommon to common magic items.
    Artificer is still limited by available formulas, and can't create a scroll or anything else that has a spell not on it's list. The only item that doesn't need a formula is a Potion of Healing.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It's been 5 years and the party (which he is retroactively a part of) had tens of thousands of gold.

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

It's been 5 years and the party (which he is retroactively a part of) had tens of thousands of gold.
    And the formulae are magic items with a rarity one tier higher than the item you can make with them. Depending on the availability and price of magic items, those tens thousands of gold may be useless.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    And the formulae are magic items with a rarity one tier higher than the item you can make with them. Depending on the availability and price of magic items, those tens thousands of gold may be useless.
    This is an artificer, I'm not sure how everybody else rules it, but after level 10 I let them craft uncommon and common items without formulae over downtime. In my opinion you severely weaken that feature of you don't. Just me though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    This is an artificer, I'm not sure how everybody else rules it, but after level 10 I let them craft uncommon and common items without formulae over downtime. In my opinion you severely weaken that feature of you don't. Just me though.
    I let them create permanent items for any infusion they currently know at the rarity level of the item, the knowledge of the infusion being presumed to be sufficiently close to the formula for their purposes. Other than that they have enough advantages on crafting that they don't need more.

The formula being one level higher *really* cuts down their ability to just spam a variety of uncommon items for almost no effort. Of course what it tends to do is have them researching one formula at a considerable expense in time and gold and then producing loads of that item, so beware of items which would reward this approach. That will tend to be one-use or limited use items.

I can't think of any common items which will really mess you up as a DM which is just as well, the artificer can produce the formula fast and the items very fast.

I don't think any of this breaks the game but its definitely a thing to keep an eye on.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
    I let them create permanent items for any infusion they currently know at the rarity level of the item, the knowledge of the infusion being presumed to be sufficiently close to the formula for their purposes. Other than that they have enough advantages on crafting that they don't need more.
    That's what my DM did for my artificer character, too. Due to story reasons, mine has about 14 weeks of downtime, and was able to crank out some fun stuff. including a few wands that required attunement that I gave to the party.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.