New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Eating No Junk Food At All

What's your take on when a person eats no junk food at all not even in moderation?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Eating No Junk Food At All

Good on them for healthy eating.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would expect negative responses to this question. I'm not sure how this would be a bad thing.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2020-12-05 at 01:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure why you would expect negative responses to this question. I'm not sure how this would be a bad thing.
    You're right. But I'm sure there are a few people who might have a bad opinion about this question.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    You're right. But I'm sure there are a few people who might have a bad opinion about this question.
    ... And? I'm not really sure what kind of answers you're looking for here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ... And? I'm not really sure what kind of answers you're looking for here.
    I just want to hear your thoughts on it but I feel like it i already got my answer.

7. - Top - End - #7

Since I'm already as close to this as I can get given the lack of options for eating out, it's eminently doable and more people should do so. Especially the ones who get winded climbing the steps to the front porch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How are we defining junk food here? There are a lot of "junk foods" that are quite healthy when homemade, for instance, and health foods that have extremely high calorie content (compare popcorn to brown rice and it quickly becomes apparent that cultural food categories are bunkum.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    How are we defining junk food here? There are a lot of "junk foods" that are quite healthy when homemade, for instance, and health foods that have extremely high calorie content (compare popcorn to brown rice and it quickly becomes apparent that cultural food categories are bunkum.)
    You know, candies, food with a lot of greases such as hamburgers and French fries, Potato chips, etc.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-12-05 at 05:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Whatever floats their boat.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

If for dietary restriction regarding health; pity

If for demonstration of self grandeur; contempt
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cZak View Post
    If for dietary restriction regarding health; pity

If for demonstration of self grandeur; contempt
    Well, there's the negative opinion you wanted.

For my part, a person's diet is completely irrelevant to me. As such, I have no stronger opinions on people who don't eat junk food than I do people who trim the nails on their left hand before the right.
    If I were forced to provide an opinion on their diet, it would depend on their reason. If it's because they think any amount of junk food is too much, then my opinion could best be expressed by rolling my eyes. However, if it's just because they don't like junk food, or they feel that one bowl of chips has a tendency to become two bowls of chips all to quickly, then fair enough.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I can see some people responding negatively, but probably only if the person avoiding junk food is being superior about it OR the offended person perceives the healthy person as acting superior about it.
    Or, like if it's a friend you hang out with, maybe it annoys you that they don't want to swing by a fast food joint for a snack.

E.g., any negativity is probably a defensiveness about feeling insulted by how they are eating junk food.

Though I reckon some people will think they are being too big on depriving themselves of happy food or being too hard on themselves. So that's a more reasonable source of a negative response. E.g., my mom sometimes said I was depriving myself unnecessarily of some stuff I was doing to be <positive trait>. Not junk food, but similar enough idea.

----

Though, in general, I don't see folk reasonably responding negatively to such.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You know, candies, food with a lot of greases such as hamburgers and French fries, Potato chips, etc.
    You can actually prepare those things without a lot of grease.

I use very lean meat for hamburger, and you can 'air fry' potato. Granted, it's more like speedy convection baking, but the effect is similar. Crispy.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

15. - Top - End - #15

And no oily aftertaste, which is something you really start noticing if you go off fries for a bit (say for Lent).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    You can actually prepare those things without a lot of grease.

I use very lean meat for hamburger, and you can 'air fry' potato. Granted, it's more like speedy convection baking, but the effect is similar. Crispy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And no oily aftertaste, which is something you really start noticing if you go off fries for a bit (say for Lent).
    Wait these types of food exists. Wow!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

We recently got an air fryer that's only a bit bigger than a toaster oven. It's pretty cool. You can use it for air frying, but it also has a 'toast', 'bake', and other settings, so presumably it could replace having a toaster oven/toaster. I haven't really used it for any of the others beyond air fry, but the air fry alone is pretty great for stuff like cooking french fries (or frozen foods you want to cook crispy) or reheating leftovers like fried chicken.

18. - Top - End - #18

If they are obsessed with only eating certain foods to the point that it is interfering with other aspects of their life (ability to work, travel, socialize) then it could be a problem.

I've heard this referred to as orthorexia.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    If they are obsessed with only eating certain foods to the point that it is interfering with other aspects of their life (ability to work, travel, socialize) then it could be a problem.

I've heard this referred to as orthorexia.
    I don't think that quite follows. Orthorexia is usually used to refer to people who hurt themselves by eating diets so narrow they don't get proper nutrition. Vegans who become protein deficient, keto/fasting people who get refeeding syndrome or kidney damage, the 90s fat free diet leading to collapsed hormone levels.

Otherwise any dieters with jealous families would become orthorexic instantly, which I feel like really undermines the term.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Eating healthily is ideal, but I don't think we know yet exactly what that is.

Some fat in the diet is necessary for humans, too much is probably bad.

My weight has been slowly rising and I'd like it to stop, and preferably go down, but it's hard.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

My weight has been slowly rising and I'd like it to stop, and preferably go down, but it's hard.
    I can't get below 250 without being obsessive. Last time I did it I did it by fasting a lot, now I count calories really hard. I don't know of any easy ways to lose weight except the 80-20 rule. If something is lower calories but 80% as good tasting switch them out. I switched milk for almond milk, microwave popcorn into air popped corn, red meat for white meat.

1/20/2021
    3 miles walking 400 calories
    2 miles riding bike 200 calories
    weightlifting 100 calories
    Base 2500 calories
    3200 to spend
    Breakfast:
    Coffee 1 cup almond milk 30 calories
    6 slices gluten free bread 480
    2 cups egg whites 250

lunch
    2 chicken breast 462
    1 can green beans 45
    coffee 1 cup almond milk 30

dinner
    Chicken breast 231 calories
    chicken thigh with some sauce my dad made 400 calories?
    1 cup rice 206 calories

snacks:
    3 Apple 156 calories
    bananna 100
    carrot 25 calories
    20 cups popcorn 400 calories

2815 eaten, 385 deficit
    [8:20 PM]
    I don't know how anyone can eat 2000 calories, it seems insane.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-01-23 at 05:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on your build and activity level.

A short, thin person, mostly sedentary with not much muscle mass - 2000 Calories is fairly easy to stick to.

I calories counted for a while while I was injured (probably about 8 weeks worth of data) and my resting metabolic rate was around 2000 - 2100 Calories. While I didn't do as much cardio as you, I did do martial arts, so being active and strong gave me more muscle mass, raising my BMR.

Unfortunately between Covid and work, my weight's ballooned up from 14st to over 16st (about 224lb/102kg), which is depressing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

It is perfectly doable - but I indulge sometimes. Pizza is my main vice, sweets second.

When I feel like losing some weight, I just lose the added sugar (e.g. no sugar in tea, no sweet drinks, sweets), stop with junk food completely, follow the old principle of 'breakfast of a king, lunch of a farmer, dinner of a beggar", go to bed at 10 PM sharp and leave half.

The last part basically means I eat exactly half a portion. I immensely enjoy eating, so I do not stop myself from rnjoying food - I just chew longer, smaller mouthfuls and basically trick myself into thinking I ate a lot.

I also share a lot - giving half a portion to colleagues that are out to lunch with me (before starting to eat).

At these points I go for quality instead of quantity. And eat a piece of dark chocolate once per day as 'reward' when I uphold all the rules, which works as nice conditioning tool.
    Works miracles for me, last time I dropped my terrible results from checkup into normal in 3 months.

I may have to do it again as I started gaining weight again. I even got above 100kg. Something I told myself I never would.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2021-02-17 at 12:56 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

I feel pretty good about myself thanks.

I occasionally indulge in pizza and burgers in moderation, but my normal diet is mostly homemade and no sweets.

I'm pushing 40 and feel more "youthful" than I ever have before.

25. - Top - End - #25

They are clearly heathens that need to be sacrificed to the Hadar the Hungerer.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

It is very good to have a diet without junk foods, but in this busy life it seems impossible
    But we have to try
    The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention
    One of the best methods to show purity is rice purity test

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I can't get below 250 without being obsessive. Last time I did it I did it by fasting a lot, now I count calories really hard. I don't know of any easy ways to lose weight except the 80-20 rule. If something is lower calories but 80% as good tasting switch them out. I switched milk for almond milk, microwave popcorn into air popped corn, red meat for white meat.

1/20/2021
    3 miles walking 400 calories
    2 miles riding bike 200 calories
    weightlifting 100 calories
    Base 2500 calories
    3200 to spend
    Breakfast:
    Coffee 1 cup almond milk 30 calories
    6 slices gluten free bread 480
    2 cups egg whites 250

lunch
    2 chicken breast 462
    1 can green beans 45
    coffee 1 cup almond milk 30

dinner
    Chicken breast 231 calories
    chicken thigh with some sauce my dad made 400 calories?
    1 cup rice 206 calories

snacks:
    3 Apple 156 calories
    bananna 100
    carrot 25 calories
    20 cups popcorn 400 calories

2815 eaten, 385 deficit
    [8:20 PM]
    Good job counting calories, Do you use an app? I have had success with myfitnesspal.

I am not a dietician but I think you can make a couple of small changes to get down to 2000 cals.
    -Try reducing your bread at breakfast to two slices. Add an extra cup of egg whites if you are still hungry.
    -Reduce your rice intake at dinner and skip the chicken breast if you dad is making thighs, especially if the sauce has a lot of sugar in it.
    -Eating apples and carrots for snacks are good. Reduce or eliminate your popcorn snacking.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I lost a lot of weight recently, due to exercise, but mostly nutrition...

I don't really count calories because I don't have the patience for it. All I did was stick to healthy foods, drink more water so that I fill a bit more full and learn how to control my gluttony (something I always had difficulty with).

It's really important to get rid of sugar... Luckily I don't like sodas, but it's hard to keep my sweet tooth in check, so I simply don't buy anything sugary anymore, other than some fruit for when the craving gets too strong.

Sadly, the most important part of keeping a healthy weight is also the hardest: adopting and maintaining good nutritional habits.
    Homebrew Stuff:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yes, but most restaurants won't have them, so you'd have to prepare yourself.

Like using 93/7 meat (most hamburger is 80/20) for beef dishes. About 25g protein per serving, and 8g fat. It's about 20g fat for standard 80/20.

Also, watch sodium content...

There are recipes out there on how to change from cooking with low fat or 'healthier' fats - ones that will help you reduce dietary cholesterol, for example. Using plant-based oils for cooking, instead of animal-based ones.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There's so much variation in humans that a unified 'healthy' may not be possible.

Some people (like myself) have absorption issues due to intestinal problems. So my 'healthy' diet won't look like someone who doesn't have those issues.

More and more folks are paying attention to the differentiation between saturated and unsaturated fats. I've shifted my diet to prefer unsats (going for a decent amount, though, for the health stuff) - which means things like pistachios, garbanzo beans, cashews...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-04-12 at 09:57 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Like using 93/7 meat
    93/7?! Well dang, I thought I was hot stuff over here for using 90/10!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2