Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite game soundtracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Eve Online
    Yeah, the Eve soundtrack doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves. It's just really great at creating that 'space' mood, to balance out the adrenaline spike from narrowly avoiding getting ganked and slipping through gate camps in my little cloaky exploration vessel while sneaking around null-sec looking for an opportunity to get rich. There's a lot of great stuff in there, but this one's probably one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbcsz8sb7Cg
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Considering a lot of my favourites have already been named, I'll stick to ones I haven't seen yet:

Mirror's Edge has an excellent soundtrack; perhaps not everyone's cup of tea for background music, but its pretty great.

I also haven't seen Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines mentioned yet. You need community patches to get the entire soundtrack in-game, but it's an excellent one. The guitar work is great.

And I also have to mention Pillars of Eternity I/Deadfire. While I won't be listening to the combat themes in my spare time, the remainder of the soundtrack is just beautiful to listen to. And the sea shanties of Deadfire are great fun.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Terragenesis, a phone game, has a really nice soundtrack... sort of lazy strings, reminiscent of Memoirs of a Geisha, in my mind.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I'll add two things here.

One, Final Fantasy VI. FF has been mentioned a lot here, and for good reason, but this one stands out. Why? Because this game had a track for almost every character (or multiple related characters), and a MASSIVE cast of playable characters. That was a feat even before taking into account that it was done in the SNES era. And those motifs weave together beautifully, as shown in the end credits theme.

Which leads me to my second choice, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Despite being a Game Boy game, it had a great soundtrack, full of life and emotion. And even in its remakes, that soundtrack sings. Don't believe me? Try it. For some reason, even hearing it all these years later...

... ah, it looks like it's beginning to rain.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd have to give it to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Its a heavier kind of soundtrack that I atleast don't see being used in many other titles. Most go for some high octane riffs and tracks to hype you up. But the weight of Strange Journey's soundtrack just helps add to the entire games feeling of importance, that every fight and journey is one step closer to deciding the fate of the entire planet and who wins the eternal war.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Terragenesis, a phone game, has a really nice soundtrack... sort of lazy strings, reminiscent of Memoirs of a Geisha, in my mind.
    that reminds me of Terranigma, one of the many good SNES era rpgs. I think it had some very nice pieces, that well fit the plot of the game; though it's been so long it's a bit hard to remember.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

8. - Top - End - #68

Bloodborne. My two favorite themes from it are Hail the Nightmare and the theme from the Living Failures boss fight.

Final Fantasy 7

X-Men 4 player arcade (I used to be able to do a single loop of this game on one credit).

Super mario 3D world (especially Bleep Blocks)

Lightning Fighters.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Oblivion soundtrack

FF9 soundtrack

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hollow Knight
    Hades
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (HIGHLY recommend the recent Theophany remix albums if you've never heard them!)
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Assassin's Creed (2? 2.5? 2.75? I can't remember 100% but there's just plenty of easygoing but pumped-up synth tracks)
    Baldur's Gate 2 & Throne of Bhaal. (That final battle music... *chefs kiss*)
    Super Mario 64

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Turrican. Just... Turrican.

That second song is on the Amiga. If you notice that you have different music coming out of each speaker/headphone... from what I understand, that's because they had 4 channels to work with (for both music and sound effects), and they needed 8. So they made themselves 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have no idea how it's taken me so long to remember Tropico. The only game I can think of whose soundtrack is worthy of listening to even when you're not playing.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I'm slightly vexed that no one has brought up the Fire Emblem Series. Some of my personal favorites from the series are from Radiant Dawn, although there has yet to be game in that series that hasn't had at least one good track.
    Beyond that? I'm partial to music from Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III. Oh, and Tales of Symphonia. Cannot forget about Tales of Symphonia.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Spamalot in the Playground

Megaman, F-Zero, Bayonetta... come to think of it, Smash Brothers as a whole has a lot of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm sure Transistor has been mentioned in this thread already, but I absolutely adore it. Supergiant doesn't mess around with their soundtracks, so I recommend Bastion and Hades as well.

Another surprising favorite of mine is the soundtrack for Arknights. They have a lot of variety and they really pour a lot of heart into their production for a mobile game.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hard to go wrong with the Halo soundtrack. I haven't played Undertale, yet (I know, shame on me), but it's got some great tunes. Oh, and Cave Story has a fantastically catchy theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not a game, but all of Dance With the Dead's music sounds like it belongs in almost any game you can think of.

I was playing Risk of Rain 2 with DWtD playing, and I kept getting confused why my music didn't stop when I paused the game. Solid artist for when you want something to rock to in the background (which is good for RoR2, as its music is kinda all over the place).

Although, for an actual game soundtrack, can't go wrong with Furi. All of the songs were written specifically around the thematic fights and the vibe of the game.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-03-12 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

18. - Top - End - #78

BardGuy

Xenogears

Castlevania SOTN
    Super Castlevania IV

Tactics Ogre
    FF Tactics
    FFXII
    I'd also point out Crimson Shroud's "They Don't Look That Tough"

I only have Dark Souls Remastered but I've liked most of what I've heard from DS III's soundtrack.

An Underlying Problem is probably my favorite from Shovel Knight.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

To be fair, there are quite a few. But, the best ones have to be boss themes, right? Especially in Japanese games-the game composers really know how to make their music!

Serpent Eating the Ground-Bravely Default series. This is one of the best examples of a good boss theme. With a choir to start, the theme slowly turned more and more metal. There’s also a lot of smooth and surprising transitions!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'd have to say my favorite game soundtracks belong to the Ar Tonelico games. The games have their issues, but when I completed an early quest, and the recipient sang at me, I was hooked.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

The more I listen to the Nier:Automata soundtrack, the more I like it. Especially Weight of the World.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

I really like Killing Time's soundtrack. Spines But No Pages is a real standout, but the music is generally pretty solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

23. - Top - End - #83

Usually I'm one to prefer the original (I mean... the very title implies soundtracks of the games themselves), and also not one to really like heavy metal, but heavy metal remixes of those oh-****-epic boss fights can work really well (e.g., Phantasy Star IV's Ooze)
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Halo and the various FF's have already been mentioned, but I'm a little surprised that Total Annhiliation hasn't gotten a mention, god that has a killer soundtrack, and was some of Jeremy Soule's early work (You may also know him from any one of Dungeon Siege, Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, Neverwinter Nights, Dawn of War, Knights of the Old Republic, Guild Wars or many others). There's an interesting story out there on the intertubes about him making a bet of his entire pay for the job on TA with Chris Taylor that the instrumental tracks he'd come up with were the way to go instead of the heavy metal/techno stuff that most other RTS's were doing at the time, and won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljDyp__ejco

The various Halo's, FF's, TA and Mechwarrior 2 : Mercenaries are the ones that I can recall off the top of my head that I will often put on for background noise, though a rather hourable mention goes out to BFG Division for being something very special and unexpected.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I wish I'd known about that song Monday so I could've played it when the party's Druid got one-shotted by a giant ooze.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Man, I wish I'd known about that song Monday so I could've played it when the party's Druid got one-shotted by a giant ooze.
    Nah, this is the one you want to play in that situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, I used that last time someone died.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Grim Dawn
    "Eyes On Me" from FFVIII

I will say I had to do a double-take when I recognized the Skyrim soundtrack coming from my in-laws' "Celtic Songs" Pandora channel one day...
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2021-04-21 at 08:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Grim Dawn
    "Eyes On Me" from FFVIII

I will say I had to do a double-take when I recognized the Skyrim soundtrack coming from my in-laws' "Celtic Songs" Pandora channel one day...
    A fellow Eyes On Me lover. Nice.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I keep hoping to find it on karaoke one of these days...