New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVIII - Everyone's an Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Turn has a 3.5 term, which is different from the AD&D term. Turn:

You can also do a find (CTRL-F) on the actions in combat page.

For completion sake, round:

Oddly, the 5.0 quote I found sums up it best:

It must have been weird to go from "a Turn is 10 rounds and takes 600 seconds" to "a turn is part of a 6 second round".
    I have no idea if this applies to the rest of AD&D/2e, but in Baldur's Gate I & II a single turn was 10 rounds, each of which (supposedly) lasted 6 seconds. Aaaand now I'm having flashbacks to Chant always wearing off too early.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

It must have been weird to go from "a Turn is 10 rounds and takes 600 seconds" to "a turn is part of a 6 second round".
    Indeed. And now I want to see comic 12 again, with "turn" thrown in for good measure.

🎶 To everything, turn, turn, turn
    (and that's not even mentioning the everyone's-actions-in-10-minutes and single-person's-action-in-six-seconds variations... let alone the dictionary variants like "turn evil", "turn around", "turn a page", and several others)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Indeed. And now I want to see comic 12 again, with "turn" thrown in for good measure.

🎶 To everything, turn, turn, turn
    (and that's not even mentioning the everyone's-actions-in-10-minutes and single-person's-action-in-six-seconds variations... let alone the dictionary variants like "turn evil", "turn around", "turn a page", and several others)
    Something like:

"Yes, it's the start of my turn!"
    "Wait, why are you getting a whole turn?"
    "Because I rolled highest in initiative. I will take an attack action."
    "You are going to spend 10 rounds for a single attack action?"
    "No I'm going to make a full round attack. Durkon, you are up next."
    "No' I will turn undead!"
    "It's not the turn of the undead yet."
    "How is everyone getting so many rounds?"
    "We are still in the first round."
    "Huh?!"

"How much crap do we have to go through on a daily basis because no-one at TSR double check the length of a turn in between switching editions?"

It basically writes itself.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-04-27 at 02:42 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #394

Something like:

"Yes, it's the start of my turn!"
    "Wait, why are you getting a whole turn?"
    "Because I rolled highest in initiative. I will take an attack action."
    "You are going to spend 10 rounds for a single attack action?"
    "No I'm going to make a full round attack. Durkon, you are up next."
    "No' I will turn undead!"
    "It's not the turn of the undead yet."
    "How is everyone getting so many rounds?"
    "We are still in the first round."
    "Huh?!"

"How much crap do we have to go through on a daily basis because no-one at TSR double check the length of a turn in between switching editions?"

It basically writes itself.
    Afaik we don't have a Blackwing icon, so I beg your indulgence and imagination. (^_~)°

(beat)
    *whispers* "I get the feeling we should leave, even if we have to turn invisible."
    "Concurred. Who knows how long this may go round in circles."
    "Ok, see you around."
    "I assure you, it will be longer than that."
    "We should go, before this takes a turn for the worse."
    "Okay, so it'll take a turn. But is that part of a round, or ten?"
    *raises a single finger* (beat)
    "Yes." *walks away before the temptation to cast Fireball becomes too great*

Fwiw, I don't blame the people who did the switch... "turn" as a term for "ten rounds" never made much sense to me, even beforehand. The best choice really might have been "Let's just swap it to the most obvious definition, and hope everyone forgets quickly".

Edit: Adding Blackwing, thanks to Fyraltari's help (^_^)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-04-27 at 05:01 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    (Afaik we don't have a Blackwing icon, so I beg your indulgence and imagination. (^_~)°)
    Looking for a picture of an OOTS charcter to use in your post? Have you tired checking the first post of the Number of Charcter Appearances thread? It might just be the thing you need.

Here ya go:
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Looking for a picture of an OOTS charcter to use in your post? Have you tired checking the first post of the Number of Charcter Appearances thread? It might just be the thing you need.

Here ya go:
    Thankyamuch (^_^)b

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Should we remove Lutey the Lute-tastical Lute from Elan's listed items, or is it too soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm… I’d say probably too soon. I doubt Elan’s going to be going through another “no gear and imprisoned” scenario anyways, and there’s not much reason for Serini to destroy Lutey either.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    there’s not much reason for Serini to destroy Lutey either.
    Disagreed. Several threads have convincingly established that Serini is EVIL.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Disagreed. Several threads have convincingly established that Serini is EVIL.
    Honestly I still think she’s being a jackass.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #401

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    Should we remove Lutey the Lute-tastical Lute from Elan's listed items, or is it too soon?
    I think it's better to wait until a "scene" ends before we update possessions and the like. As far as we know, Elan may pick Lutey back up next page.

12. - Top - End - #402

Honestly I still think she’s being a jackass.
    And you're not alone with that opinion. (Incidentally, I also think she is a bloody hypocrite. Neither of those makes her Evil, though.)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

And you're not alone with that opinion. (Incidentally, I also think she is a bloody hypocrite. Neither of those makes her Evil, though.)
    I forget, what was your reason again?

Probably not Evil though. Would we ever list alignment shifts if we knew they happened?

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Strictly speaking we don't even know what Serini's alignment was back in her Scribbling days - let alone right now.

For all we know, she was evil all along and avoided detection by Soon with a combination of a high Bluff modifier and some lead sheeting.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2021-06-20 at 01:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405

I forget, what was your reason again?
    For thinking she's a jackass, for thinking she's a hypocrite or for thinking she's not Evil?

For all we know, she was evil all along and avoided detection by Soon with a combination of a high Bluff modifier and some lead sheeting.
    Man, that would be funny. (And it would raise so many questions! I mean, what if this is actually a universal halfling thing and the entire race is Always Chaotic Evil, but they carry around lead sheets so everyone thinks they are with the Good guys?)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-20 at 02:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406

PaladinGuy

Man, that would be funny. (And it would raise so many questions! I mean, what if this is actually a universal halfling thing and the entire race is Always Chaotic Evil, but they carry around lead sheets so everyone thinks they are with the Good guys?)
    Belkar did claim it was a halfling tradition...

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

For thinking she's a jackass, for thinking she's a hypocrite or for thinking she's not Evil?
    The first two; I don’t think we’ve seen nearly enough of her to figure out her alignment at all.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Real talk: it's probably reasonable to assume that Serini is not evil given her long period of adventuring with Soon and the general thrust of the Scribblers' mission, but the evidence we have to this point gives us no useful information about her alignment beyond that.

19. - Top - End - #409

PaladinGuy

I would pin Serini as either CN or CG.

Chaotic, in part because of her class, in part because of her methods (stealth, invisibility, poison, lies), and the fact she clearly monitored at least Soon's Gate more than what the Scribblers had agreed on - she knows exactly that not only O-chul had made the choice to shatter the Gate, but also that Miko used his katana to do so. The line about her job being "to protect the world, not the status quo" is also quite Chaotic.

That quote, and her concerns about the status of the "monstrous" races, could be reasonably used to construe her as Good.

In any case, I wouldn't include any information that's not at least partially predicated on either in-comic evidence or Rich saying something explicitly. Until something can be used to discern Serini's alignment other than personal interpretation of her words and actions, we shouldn't write anything down about it.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Serini wasn’t mentioned in the Neutral alignment post thing so probably not one of those?

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #411

The first two; I don’t think we’ve seen nearly enough of her to figure out her alignment at all.
    1. Among other things (v. her whole outlook), she's a lying, cheating bastard who thinks she knows best and is extremely smug about it.
    2. She's preaching about how no one else can be trusted with trying to save the world because who knows what stupid thing the paladins or the Order would do when due to her stupid carelessness she's personally (if indirectly) responsible for the destruction of all the Gates except Lirian's.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    she knows exactly that not only O-chul had made the choice to shatter the Gate, but also that Miko used his katana to do so.
    Incidentally, still don't really like the implications of that one. However we may read it, it means she (a rogue) somehow bypassed either the effects that blocked divinations targeting the throne room (if she's seen the original scene) or the Cloister (if she overheard O-Chul's report to Hinjo on the elven island).

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Incidentally, still don't really like the implications of that one. However we may read it, it means she (a rogue) somehow bypassed either the effects that blocked divinations targeting the throne room (if she's seen the original scene) or the Cloister (if she overheard O-Chul's report to Hinjo on the elven island).
    Or I could read it that the divination device which Roy never had a chance to have the casters examine does more then say 'broken' and actually if you know how to use it shows you the events the lead to it being broken so that the other defenders actually have useful information to work off of.

This to me seems the simplest answer.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-06-21 at 05:47 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but she’s still a rogue. She’s not going to have many ways to figure that out without some seriously powerful magic.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, but she’s still a rogue. She’s not going to have many ways to figure that out without some seriously powerful magic.
    I assume that if I am right about the device that Dorukan would have told the others how to use them to monitor events in the event of a gate being destroyed.

25. - Top - End - #415

PaladinGuy

She definitely has ranks in UMD, too, which may be how she's using the additional functions of the device.

However, it seems to me we're missing a far simpler option: the Cloister effects have worn off and Serini has contracted a caster* to examine exactly how Soon's Gate fell through divinations of the surviving paladins of the Sapphire Guard (presumably, she did the same for the other four since she seems to have a pretty good idea of who was involved and their objectives).

*could be Orangevoice, if they're the one charming Elan they're definitely a caster

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Or I could read it that the divination device which Roy never had a chance to have the casters examine does more then say 'broken' and actually if you know how to use it shows you the events the lead to it being broken so that the other defenders actually have useful information to work off of.
    That's very unlikely, to say the least. The Guard had to send operatives to the Western continent, and even then, they couldn't figure out what, exactly, happened to the Gate. What's more, Dorukan himself, probably the most powerful caster among the Scribblers openly admits
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    on p. 102 of SoD that he didn't know who was to blame for what became of Lirian until Xykon showed him the gem.
    Had he seen the events unfold at the Glade, he should have had a decent idea of who could have been responsible, even if
    Show
    Xykon defeating and Soul Binding Lirian wasn't shown.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

And Wizards are the arguably best equipped casters to find out that stuff unless a divine caster gets the word directly from their god(which is more a plot device rather than anything mechanical). I doubt a Rogue would be that much better.

I suspect she’s got some friends that have very powerful magic and/or a direct hotline to a being at least at archfiend or celestial paragon level. Probably Orangevoice. Let’s hope it’s not something to do with the IFCC.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Serini wasn’t mentioned in the Neutral alignment post thing so probably not one of those?
    I don't think Serini not being mentioned in the list of Neutral characters means anything one way or another, since the Giant ended that post by saying that there were additional neutral characters who he specifically did not include in the list.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

29. - Top - End - #419

I suspect she’s got some friends that have very powerful magic and/or a direct hotline to a being at least at archfiend or celestial paragon level. Probably Orangevoice.
    Somehow I have difficulty seeing Orange as that much more powerful than Serini. At any rate, I seriously doubt a high ranking outsider would call her "boss".

Let’s hope it’s not something to do with the IFCC.
    Serini is not quite as clever as she thinks she is, but I'm pretty sure she's not that dumb.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

That's very unlikely, to say the least. The Guard had to send operatives to the Western continent, and even then, they couldn't figure out what, exactly, happened to the Gate. What's more, Dorukan himself, probably the most powerful caster among the Scribblers openly admits
    Show
    on p. 102 of SoD that he didn't know who was to blame for what became of Lirian until Xykon showed him the gem.
    Had he seen the events unfold at the Glade, he should have had a decent idea of who could have been responsible, even if
    Show
    Xykon defeating and Soul Binding Lirian wasn't shown.
    I don't think that:
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    "Ah ah treants destroyed the gate due to a fire and is that a goblin I see!"

Is the vital information that you think it is.