New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVIII - Everyone's an Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    The two feats that seem suitable are 'Familiar Concentration' and 'Extraordinary Concentration'.

The issues with them are that 'Extraordinary Concentration' is poorly written and that 'Familiar Concentration' requires a familiar (which we have not seen Xykon possess).

If we needed a feat for him to account for this I would say 'Extraordinary Concentration' works - but we would have complaints on that it is poorly written.
    I don't really see how Extraordinary Concentration is poorly written that much, though I did have to pause for a sec while reading it. There's a skill trick that could work, also - Swift Concentration.

Honestly I doubt Rich really knows about either but for the purposes of this thread...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides the concentration, sustained telekinesis only works for 1 object. There is no mention of switching objects. (Only the violent thrust allows multiple objects to be affected.) Also, for perfect comparison we need a spell at allows directing an active spell, like animate rope allows.

What could help was a list of spells cast in the comic, does anyone have a list? I vaguely recall something on this forum, but I can't find it.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2020-12-06 at 09:24 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don't really see how Extraordinary Concentration is poorly written that much, though I did have to pause for a sec while reading it. There's a skill trick that could work, also - Swift Concentration.
    The problem with Extraordinary Concentration it seems intended to allow multiple spells to be cast, however:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one.
    Source.

The reason you cannot cast spells while concentrating on one has nothing to do with the standard action of maintaining a spell - as such in the written word of Extraordinary Concentration it doesn't actually allow you to cast spells while concentrating on another one - it is clearly intended to (Swift Concentration does not seem to be) but it actually doesn't do it (at my reading of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Besides the concentration, sustained telekinesis only works for 1 object. There is no mention of switching objects. (Only the violent thrust allows multiple objects to be affected.) Also, for perfect comparison we need a spell at allows directing an active spell, like animate rope allows.
    I am unsure about this the spell mentions 'You move objects or creatures by concentrating on them' so if you concentrate on a different object it stands to reason you can move that one, just like you would (on my reading) not be limited to tripping the same creature every round using the combat maneuver version.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I mean okay, maybe, but that still does work for this situation, as does the skill trick option.

Also random thought: aren't there optional spell components that give a caster bonus to certain kinds of spells? Maybe Tsukiko used one that applies for Conjuration(teleportation) spells or something?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

i was just reading the page for lich and it states that
    "Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat"
    and i was wondering why xykon is listed as having only an
    "unspecified craft feat" ?
    i am assuming this has been argued before, but why it would be so?
    Last edited by locksmith of lo; 2020-12-06 at 02:42 PM.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    i was just reading the page for lich and it states that and i was wondering why xykon is listed as having only an

i am assuming this has been argued before, but why it would be so?
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show

While purely on RAW Xykon should have Craft Wonderous Item, it seems to have been actually Redcloak who crafted it this is why Redcloak is listed as having 'Craft Wondrous Item (Xykon's phylactery in SOD)'.

I am dubious about it a ruling but not bothered enough to argue it.

Seperately we know Xykon crafts items on occassion so he has some craft feat.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Xykon recently might be an example here panel 11 and here panel 20 he is presumedly using Telekinesis to hold the statue head and to open the door respectively.
    Since we haven't got even near a full list of cantrips for Xykon, isn't it more likely that he's using Telekinesis for the head, and Open/Close for the door?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Also, would Mage Hand work for either of those instances?

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Mage Hand has a weight limit of 5 pounds. Open/Close has a limit of 30 pounds.

Problem is we don't know the exact material or weight from these objects. I assume stone* and wood** based on appearances, so the statue head would weight more then 5, and the door could be less then 30 pounds. So mage hand is out, but Open/Close could work.

*The statue head is quite bouncy for a solid stone object.
    **We know the stone around the door is "multidimensional stone", perhaps something similar is used for the door, but of a woodlike material.

(P.S. Telekinesis has a limit of 375 pounds, in case you wondered.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, I wonder what's stopping Xykon from just Ghostforming through the dungeons, actually. Something like at least half the Monster Manual can't even do anything to incorporeal creatures, even the mighty Tarrasque.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

About what spell Xykon is using to lift the statue head in #1214 and the door in #1216, we've been discussing that on and off for like five pages in the previous thread. I don't think we got a consensus.

But I totally didn't notice back than that there was a specific level 0 sorcerer spell called Open/Close and suggested other spells instead. Yanisa: thank you for pointing that out.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-12-07 at 09:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: SOD
    Show

While purely on RAW Xykon should have Craft Wonderous Item, it seems to have been actually Redcloak who crafted it this is why Redcloak is listed as having 'Craft Wondrous Item (Xykon's phylactery in SOD)'.

I am dubious about it a ruling but not bothered enough to argue it.

Seperately we know Xykon crafts items on occassion so he has some craft feat.
    ""Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat" is pretty explicit. Redcloak clearly helped - perhaps lowering the DC, or issuing instructions on which steps to take - but by the rules, Xykon had to have the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and had to be involved enough in the process to be considered to be "making" his phylactery.

I think we should list Craft Wondrous Item as a feat Xykon has. There is no clear evidence that the rules weren't being followed in this instance, and thus we should assume they were in effect. Plus, common sense suggests that Xykon has the feat, given how much time he spends crafting magic items.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    ""Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat" is pretty explicit. Redcloak clearly helped - perhaps lowering the DC, or issuing instructions on which steps to take - but by the rules, Xykon had to have the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and had to be involved enough in the process to be considered to be "making" his phylactery.

I think we should list Craft Wondrous Item as a feat Xykon has. There is no clear evidence that the rules weren't being followed in this instance, and thus we should assume they were in effect. Plus, common sense suggests that Xykon has the feat, given how much time he spends crafting magic items.
    I have no issues with this - and Redcloak has not been shown crafting any other items to justify the feat.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I believe you can provide spells and stuff to aid with crafting items, such as the cleric helping the party wizard to craft a Ring of Protection +1(as Shield of Faith isn't a wizard spell). Could be something like that - Redcloak fills Xykon in on the required knowledge, Xykon does the actual crafting.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thing is, while the SRD is kinda vague, it does require Caster Level 3 to craft a wonderous item. And Xykon was unable to cast even a cantrip at the time (it was *why* RC proposed making him a lich).

I'm pretty sure that by RAI, at least, you should not be able to craft if your spellcasting is suppressed.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Having a caster level is not the same as being able to cast spells to be fair. If you’ve blown all your slots you have a caster level but can’t cast.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Having a caster level is not the same as being able to cast spells to be fair. If you’ve blown all your slots you have a caster level but can’t cast.
    Yeah, this. Xykon didn't cease to be a sorcerer with caster level 25, or whatever - he simply stopped being able to cast any spells.

The SRD is about as explicit as can be when it says "Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat." Either the rules are being ignored - which this thread assumes is not the case whenever possible - or Xykon is making use of his Craft Wondrous Item feat to craft his own phylactery, with Redcloak helping him, presumably both giving him instructions and providing spellcasting services when necessary.

There's definitely some RAI fuzziness here, since nowhere in the rules does it say that a lich can receive help from an outside source, but none of that requires us to assume that the rules aren't actually in effect.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

Some magic items require you to expend spell slots or prepared spells every day while making them. But a phylactery does not appear to be one of these:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItem...MagicItems.htm

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-12-09 at 04:57 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's actually possible to cooperatively craft a lich's phylactery. The MIC rules for cooperative crafting say that each character involved has to supply "some of the prerequisites". But a phylactery only has one prerequisite, Craft Wondrous Item. Thus, if the rules are being followed in SoD, Redcloak is simply providing information and instructions to Xykon, but isn't actually participating in the crafting of the phylactery. Unless there are other rules elsewhere about cooperative item crafting that disagree with and supersede those in the MIC, Craft Wondrous Item should be added to Xykon's entry and removed from Redcloak's.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

20. - Top - End - #50

Really the CWI requirement is just a hack to explain how a lich has a phylactery. To the best of my knowledge no ruleset before or after spelled out the needs, just said a lich had one.

That said, I don't see a reason not to strip CWI from Redcloak.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

I was checking the thread and I noticed that the item that Belkar is using cover the team´s tracks hasnt been added to the list of items he is carrying. Is there a reason?

I am going to leave the real experts with telling the name of the item since my knowledge still remains pathfinder mainly.

EDIT: Also, should the rat head be added to Haley´s inventory?
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2020-12-09 at 11:40 PM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Also, should the rat head be added to Haley´s inventory?
    Good catch. The rat head (its name is Quippie, according to an Utterly Dwarfed bonus strip) should be added to Haley's inventory.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Although, is it about to leave her inventory?

24. - Top - End - #54

No, she specifically stated she's picking it back up.

25. - Top - End - #55

But...
    Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells...

26. - Top - End - #56

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    But...
    Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells...

Xykon was still able to cast spells from scrolls, wasn't he?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Was he? Honestly don’t know, don’t have SoD.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Was he? Honestly don’t know, don’t have SoD.
    There's no direct evidence from SOD, but after reading the scroll use rules, it does appear that Xykon would still be able to use scrolls.

I think we're getting a bit too nitpicky, though, and although being too nitpicky is arguably the entire purpose of this thread, in this case I don't think it would serve the purpose of nailing down character info very well, since the way Xykon and Redcloak collaborated on making the former a lich was obviously houseruled and probably wouldn't stand up to strict scrutiny. I think we should just stick with listing the basic requirements that lichdom requires of Xykon and leave it at that.

29. - Top - End - #59

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Good question actually. Maybe because she’s considered too minor a character?

Extended sig here.