New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVIII - Everyone's an Expert

Roy is played by (who the GM hopes to be) the GM's girlfriend. That's explains everything. Including the lucky findings while being presumably low level of magic books to raise his stats.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    Roy is played by (who the GM hopes to be) the GM's girlfriend. That's explains everything. Including the lucky findings while being presumably low level of magic books to raise his stats.
    I doubt Roy would be a Fighter then, though. Also then the girlfriend's pretty good at RPing.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Roy started with good stats, though. And didn't he get that book at fairly high level?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I doubt Roy would be a Fighter then, though.
    Why?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244

Presumably, the DM would nudge said player into taking at least a Tier 2 class.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And if the girl wanted to play a fighter, she'd presumably ignore the nudge.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-03 at 08:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

If I recall from the Fourth Edition Dimension crossover in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales; Roy is a Fighter instead of a Warblade because Eugene wouldn't pay for a PhD program.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If I recall from the Fourth Edition Dimension crossover in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales; Roy is a Fighter instead of a Warblade because Eugene wouldn't pay for a PhD program.
    Roy was in a STEM HILT field, wasn't he? Several of those effectively pay the Ph.D candidates.

I refuse to apologize for my bad graduate chemistry joke.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking at least tier 3, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And if the girl wanted to play a fighter, she'd presumably ignore the nudge.
    This would explain the Spellsplinter Maneuver, though. Although “balance patch between classes” also works.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #249

That's the whole point, though.
    It's normal to be the hero of the campaign, if you take one of the best classes and optimize it enough, but only a true GM's girlfriend can manage to make her character be the hero of the campaign when logic would dictate otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #250

Plus, some GMs don't feel the need to push someone to be optimal, and perhaps this hypothetical "would-be GF" would feel offended to be given handouts like that.

11. - Top - End - #251

This would explain the Spellsplinter Maneuver, though. Although “balance patch between classes” also works.
    Returning more in topic with the thread, to me the Spellsplinter Maneuveur seems like a better version of the Mage Slayer feat (better because imaginary Xykon and real Durkula didn't seem to realize that they couldn't cast defensively).

But while I'm writing I'm realizing that this proabably has been already analyzed and, if dumped, there must be a reason I can't see at the moment.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2021-03-04 at 01:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Returning more in topic with the thread, to me the Spellsplinter Maneuveur seems like a better version of the Mage Slayer feat (better because imaginary Xykon and real Durkula didn't seem to realize that they couldn't cast defensively).
    It was, indeed, raised. Basically, because as you say, it seems like a better version, and as soon as it's not the RAW version, we aren't really in a position to speculate about which parts are home brew or if the whole feat is, so it's not really meaningful to record "kinda like Mage Slayer."

As for Roy, who says the potential love interest is a girl, you guys are so heteronormative! For that matter, who says the GM isn't a girl?

Obviously, of course, if you want to take this seriously, there are no players (by word of Giant), we have no idea if stats in OOtS are generated purely via plot or via one of the traditional methods (and I'd argue that since there are no players, our usual conservation-of-RAW doesn't really apply to this), and in any case since one of the methods involves rolling dice, any combination of stats between 3 and 18 for every stat (plus/minus racial modifiers) is a possibility, since we know that probability-bends-to-the-will-of-plot is a thing in Stickverse.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    It was, indeed, raised. Basically, because as you say, it seems like a better version, and as soon as it's not the RAW version, we aren't really in a position to speculate about which parts are home brew or if the whole feat is, so it's not really meaningful to record "kinda like Mage Slayer."
    Same problem with Spellcasting Harrier: While it fits better it's also an epic feat, so Roy would need to be epic to take it; since Roy isn't epic and has Spellsplinter anyway, it's clearly not the same feat....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #254

As for Roy, who says the potential love interest is a girl, you guys are so heteronormative! For that matter, who says the GM isn't a girl?
    Potential love interest was specifically called "girlfriend" so I don't think I took a leap of faith there. As for the DM, I don't recall anyone making any assumptions there.

Nothing implied heteronormativity there.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-04 at 01:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Roy was in a STEM HILT field, wasn't he? Several of those effectively pay the Ph.D candidates.

I refuse to apologize for my bad graduate chemistry joke.
    As someone with a PhD in a STEM field, I used to claim that if they they aren't paying you to be in graduate school, you shouldn't be in graduate school.

My niece and nephew are both, I think, currently being paid to attend graduate school (at least their parents don't appear to be providing funding and they don't have jobs outside of school), so it appears to still work.

Even in the humanities, if they really want you in the grad program, they give you a teaching assistanceship or something. Mind you, humanities assistants don't get paid nearly as well as Math assistanceships, but they do get paid.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Potential love interest was specifically called "girlfriend" so I don't think I took a leap of faith there. As for the DM, I don't recall anyone making any assumptions there.

Nothing implied heteronormativity there.
    You know (aside from the fact that I was kidding, of course), you're quite right. I thought that the GM in our scenario was explicitly male, but apparently I'm he one who made that assumption, oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    As someone with a PhD in a STEM field, I used to claim that if they they aren't paying you to be in graduate school, you shouldn't be in graduate school.
    There's some case to be made for exactly the opposite--at least in a STEM field you're likely to become more employable if you take out loans to finish a grad degree. In the humanities, your immediate job prospects are terrible, plus if you weren't good enough to get someone to fund you, your chance of getting a relevant job after are pretty slim. It's different, of course, if the money isn't meaningful to you for whatever reason...

17. - Top - End - #257

You know (aside from the fact that I was kidding, of course), you're quite right. I thought that the GM in our scenario was explicitly male, but apparently I'm he one who made that assumption, oops!
    For what it's worth, even jokingly, it's comments like that what got me to realize how true they were and made me want to be better about it. I was just a bit amused at the turnaround on that one.

18. - Top - End - #258

So given the incredibly specific breadth of Serini's statements, is there some memory magic or scrying available to her that she can press those hyperspecific buttons? I feel like there'd have to be something in play here.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    So given the incredibly specific breadth of Serini's statements, is there some memory magic or scrying available to her that she can press those hyperspecific buttons? I feel like there'd have to be something in play here.
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I think it's just comic irony that she happens to be wording her questions in a "hyperspecific" way that just happens to be problematic for O-Chul.

If I'm wrong, then she probably has access to epic scrying magic, given the wards in place on Azure City's throne room. That's not impossible, given the enormous resources she clearly has at her disposal if she was able to build this dungeon, and given the fact that she adventured with both an epic divine caster and an epic arcane caster. Given that she's a rogue, though, she'd obviously have to be using some kind of magic item, not a class ability.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-03-08 at 11:58 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #260

Obviously she rolled high on her Gather Information check.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I think it's just comic irony that she happens to be wording her questions in a "hyperspecific" way that just happens to be problematic for O-Chul.
    I figured it could be comic irony for the first statement, but once it mentioned his personal katana being used, it steps out of the "ironic guess" territory and into the "I have precise knowledge of the events" territory.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Obviously she rolled high on her Gather Information check.
    Which is a good thing as it gains all information while avoiding this.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    I figured it could be comic irony for the first statement, but once it mentioned his personal katana being used, it steps out of the "ironic guess" territory and into the "I have precise knowledge of the events" territory.
    I'm almost certain that it has been pointed out before elsewhere, but it is not at all necessary that she has precise knowledge of what transpired in the throne room. In fact, she could have made the same remark based on an abridged and fairly vague account that she could spy on without having to breach the defenses of the throne room.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

If she has been scrying, I'd assume that she had something with a considerably stronger punch than a simple scroll of Scrying.

Actually, probably not Scrying(or the Greater version) unless she's been keeping an eye on them for a LONG time. Even if you do take massive penalties to the DC you still need to have heard about your target.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'm almost certain that it has been pointed out before elsewhere, but it is not at all necessary that she has precise knowledge of what transpired in the throne room. In fact, she could have made the same remark based on an abridged and fairly vague account that she could spy on without having to breach the defenses of the throne room.
    You say that, but... https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I mean, she could have been scrying on Hinjo or Lien, or one of the Order members besides Haley or Belkar.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #267

I mean, she could have been scrying on Hinjo or Lien, or one of the Order members besides Haley or Belkar.
    And then, what? As described, surely a Cloistered person is invisible to scrying -that is, anything they say is just static or silence (ditto visual).

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

Exactly, and my first bet would be Hinjo. Scrying on the leader of the Guard who makes the decisions is an easier way of keeping track of what the Guard is up to than following around, say, Lien or one(/all) of those paladins who were out of town when the city fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    And then, what? As described, surely a Cloistered person is invisible to scrying -that is, anything they say is just static or silence (ditto visual).
    I don't think that was ever established.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-03-10 at 09:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

That depends on what kind of protection Cloister provides, I guess. If it's like Mind Blank it wouldn't pick up O-Chul, yes, but it might not - and depending on how she managed to get that info, such as planar alliances with higher (or possibly off to the side, though likely not lower) beings, it might even bypass that.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

That depends on what kind of protection Cloister provides, I guess. If it's like Mind Blank it wouldn't pick up O-Chul, yes, but it might not - and depending on how she managed to get that info, such as planar alliances with higher (or possibly off to the side, though likely not lower) beings, it might even bypass that.
    It targets every single creature in the area of effect against divination, teleportation and communication magic from the outside. You need epic level magic to pierce it.