New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

d6 Waifus are Temporary. Robots are Forever. Let's Play Super Robot Wars (GB) [Video LP]

Update: The LP is complete.

It's been ten years since Deme played my Moemon Leaf Green romhack on here. I decided I may as well take a stab at doing an LP myself. And to avoid username confusion, I go by several usernames. I've more or less stopped using Fizzmaister, going by General Revil or Bring Stabity instead for the most part. Now onto the LP.

Super Robots Wars: An absolutely massive series of mecha anime crossover games with 73ish titles in the lineup, and I'll be playing all of them.

OK. That's a lie. I may be crazy, but I'm not that crazy. I'm planning on playing the classic series, which is 2, 3, EX, and 4. Yes, the naming scheme isn't too consistent. However, this game, the original Super Robot Wars, is not part of the original series. It has its own self-contained story. This is more of a test/warmup, to see if I can make a good Super Robot Wars stream and LP.

I'm playing these live on streams on twitch.tv/Bring_Stabity on Thursdays and Saturdays at 8PM PST. I have a little bit of a backlog, so I'm hoping to post updates on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I can't guarantee because sometimes work and other things get in the way of being productive.

While I've done a fair bit of streaming, this is my first real LP. Please tell me just how badly I suck (as long as you also tell me how to improve). There's a reason I'm LPing a less important game to start off with.

Two episodes to start us off. More as we go. I have decided to start us off with the Mazinger team, and selecting Great Mazinger to be our hero.This is a game that rewards you for feeding all of your kills to a single (or at least very small number of units).

Also, you are able to recruit enemy robots to join you, and in episode 2, I recruit our first new friend.

Last edited by fizzmaister; 2021-08-12 at 02:12 PM.
    Made the English version of Moemon Leaf Green. LP by Deme
    Part of the Super Robot Wars GC Translation Team Complete!
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Waifus are Temporary. Robots are Forever. Let's Play Super Robot Wars (GB) [Video

Here's episode 3, Twilight River.

In this episode, we drive an AI batty by reducing it to 1 HP, lose two units, but also replace them with two new units.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Waifus are Temporary. Robots are Forever. Let's Play Super Robot Wars (GB) [Video

The enemy's base is a maze. We lose two units to a combination of my lack of foresight and enemy machinations, but we also convince Hyaku Shiki to betray his former allies and join up with us. What do you mean, "Hyaku Shiki never betrayed anyone in his life." ?

Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This episode is secretly a retelling of Char's Counterattack. We meet the Nu Gundam and the Sazabi, and they both end up Beyond the Time. More importantly, we meet and recruit Getter G, our first recruited Getter unit.

Also, this episode is longer than the previous ones because it's full of SUFFERING!
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Apparently I'm not dead yet.

Our first real water map. Getter G proves his worth, but then we also lose him. I was not sufficiently careful and lost him. Also got really close to a gameover since Great Mazinger almost died.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

We storm an underground facility, but we fail to make any new friends. This the last video from before my hiatus. After this, we'll be moving onto new footage from new streams.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

We have reached the point where I'm starting to realize that Great Mazinger is nearly invulnerable. We travel through a series of mountains to face off against Quin Mantha.

Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

We hear Pigdoron mentioned, but we do not face him yet. Instead, we explore the maze and get a new friend for our troubles. I attempt to snipe the boss's guardians, but it turns out that face tanking with Great Mazinger is the correct answer. Always.

Also, I did just watch the Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo and Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo G crossover movies. Girgilgan (or correctly Gilgilgun), and Pigdoron are from those two movies respectively. I find it a bit strange that Girgilgan is from the first movie, but is clearly a stronger opponent than Pigdoron.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pigdoron is not actually a cute girl, but I couldn't get any good sprite art of it, so you get to see this version in the thumbnail instead. As always, there's no trouble taking it out, the biggest problem was dealing with the fact that this was a large water and island map.

I misspoke earlier. Episode 7 was the last episode I had processed before my hiatus. This is the last one that I recorded. (Glad I found it in my raw stream folder).
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

With this episode, we finally reach the final boss. The monster behind the brainwashing that has turned all the Super Robots evil. Girgilgun himself! (Or I guess Gilgilgan is you want to use the official translation). However, he has not yet revealed his final form.

This series will be wrapped up on Thursday of next week (August 12th). Afterwards, I'll be jumping straight into SRW 2G, also for the gameboy, starting the week after that. However, I will not be keeping the same Tuesday and Thursday release schedule that I had for the last half of this LP. The first two episodes of SRW2 will come out on Tuesday and Saturday, and then permanently take over my Saturday release slot moving forward.

Luigi's Mansion will move to Thursday during that transition week, and then permanently take over the Tuesday and Thursday release slots.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm joined this episode by Zappa Slave from Axis Communication and Entertainment for this video, where we fight against Girgilgun's second form around a volcano. He has just one for left, and this LP will be over.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At last, we reached the final episode. Zappa is still with us to wrap things up. The final battle against Girgilgun's final form finally lets us free all the mind controlled Super Robots. Despite playing SRW games since 2007, this is the first SRW game that I have ever completed.

I'll be rolling straight into LPing SRW2G next. Like I mentioned last week, the first two episodes will be released Tuesday and Saturday of next week, and then I'll be switching to Saturday releases for 2G starting from episode 3.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP