New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

frown My Female Co-Worker Is Being Abused At My Job

Ok, I never thought that I'm going to post this type of thread but one of my female co-workers at my job has been complaining that her supervisor is being verbally abusive to her for my mistake instead of them telling me my mistakes. And this has been an on-going issue for weeks now. I told her to complain to Human Resources about this problem but she said it was useless and she already tried it. I don't know what to do at this point, can anyone give me some good advice on how to resolve this issue, please?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Female Co-Worker Is Being Abused At My Job

Short answer: complain to human resources yourself.

Longer answer: there isn't strictly a right way to deal with this, but the more people who kick up a fuss the more something might get done about it. It's also worth taking to your other colleagues to see if there's been similar situations or if anybody can weigh in on this story one way or another.

It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Just be aware that the end result might not be what you or your colleague wants in any way, shape, or form, and be prepared for potential consequences if you do speak up.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Short answer: complaint to human resources yourself.

Longer answer: there isn't strictly a right way to deal with this, but the more people who kick up a fuss the more something might get done about it. It's also worth talking to your other colleagues to see if there have been similar situations or if anybody can weigh in on this story one way or another.

It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Just be aware that the result might not be what you or your colleague wants in any way, shape, or form, and be prepared for potential consequences if you do speak up.
    That's exactly what I've been telling her. What she needs to do is to complain to the Department of Labor about her problems.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The best thing you can do is speak up against the boss yourself, if possible (literally just speak up and tell them "I don't think you're being fair to her because [reason]). Even if HR won't do anything (NB, a union is always better than HR; HR is there to protect the company, unions are there to protect you!), it might be enough to make your boss shape up.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is your female colleague somehow responsible for you? Does she have a slightly higher position? Is she supposed to somehow organise or coordinate your workgroup, even though she is technically in the same position or at the same level as you? Because then it's possible that you doing wrong is seen as her failure.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-12-08 at 06:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

If you mean 'resolve' in the legal sense, then none of us can help you. Employment laws vary so, so, so much from place to place and industry to industry that anything anyone says here in this thread is just a shot in the dark.

If you mean 'resolve' in the interpersonal sense, then I would say it's not really your job to resolve it. Your co-worker is the one possibly being abused, and the one invalidly being held accountable for your performance. They need to address this, not you. You can be compassionate and supportive, but that's about it. Other than that, you should stay out of it.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    If you mean 'resolve' in the interpersonal sense, then I would say it's not really your job to resolve it. Your co-worker is the one possibly being abused, and the one invalidly being held accountable for your performance. They need to address this, not you. You can be compassionate and supportive, but that's about it. Other than that, you should stay out of it.
    To add on to this, HR departments are typically there to protect the company, not the employees. Resolving the issue may be as simple as firing BMH, the coworker or both, depending on circumstances. "May" being the operative word.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, did your co-worker say why the boss is bothering her rather than you?

In theory, the more voices that speak up the more likely the problem will be addressed.

In real life, when choosing between peace and justice, most people choose peace. There may be a reason HR did not address her complaint. Perhaps he convinced them he wasn't abusive, but was just being "tough". Proving abuse against a supervisor is hard for HR even if they do believe her.

So before you speak up, decide how important it is for you to keep your job & how important it is for her to keep her job. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but it also is the wheel that gets replaced, especially if it's not valuable.

They can't shouldn't fire you for your race or her for her gender, but they can fire you both because you make mistakes. Or because they just don't like you. Or they don't fire you but let you go in the next round of Covid cuts.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is make the extra effort to not repeat that mistake.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    The best thing you can do is speak up against the boss yourself, if possible (literally just speak up and tell them "I don't think you're being fair to her because [reason]). Even if HR won't do anything (NB, a union is always better than HR; HR is there to protect the company, unions are there to protect you!), it might be enough to make your boss shape up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Is your female colleague somehow responsible for you? Does she have a slightly higher position? Is she supposed to somehow organise or coordinate your workgroup, even though she is technically in the same position or at the same level as you? Because then it's possible that you doing wrong is seen as her failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    If you mean 'resolve' in the legal sense, then none of us can help you. Employment laws vary so, so, so much from place to place and industry to industry that anything anyone says here in this thread is just a shot in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    To add on to this, HR departments are typically there to protect the company, not the employees. Resolving the issue may be as simple as firing BMH, the coworker or both, depending on circumstances. "May" being the operative word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Ok, did your co-worker say why the boss is bothering her rather than you?

In theory, the more voices that speak up the more likely the problem will be addressed.

In real life, when choosing between peace and justice, most people choose peace. There may be a reason HR did not address her complaint. Perhaps he convinced them he wasn't abusive, but was just being "tough". Proving abuse against a supervisor is hard for HR even if they do believe her.

So before you speak up, decide how important it is for you to keep your job & how important it is for her to keep her job. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but it also is the wheel that gets replaced, especially if it's not valuable.

They can't shouldn't fire you for your race or her for her gender, but they can fire you both because you make mistakes. Or because they just don't like you. Or they don't fire you but let you go in the next round of Covid cuts.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is make the extra effort to not repeat that mistake.
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I don't why the supervisor didn't inform me about it. They usually told me about my performance very honest about it.