New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Whisky Thread

Since I once againw as reminded of how much I like this Forum, and I have opened one in every Forum I frequent that didnt already have one, here we Go!

Spoiler: This Thread is meant to
    Show

Share Whisky Stories and recommendations
    Post Tastings
    Ask Questions about Whisky
    Share the enjoyment of the most complex Drink in the World
    Banter about it.

Spoiler: This is NOT a Thread meant to
    Show

discuss the "Real Whisky Status" of "enter nonscottish country producing whisky (or nonirish/american producing Whiskey)",
    state one does not like Whisky and flame people who do
    questions the "use" of a Thread like this

Sorry if the alst part sounds a bit terse, but I have experience in people derailing threads like these in a way that makes people actually utilizing the thread lose the fun.

if you dont enjoy Whisky, why not just ... not post? :)

Obviously, I`ll start.

At the Moment I am having a Kilchoman Sanaig, in a Glencairn Glass.

Powerfully smoky, relative complex given the age, and in my opinion very good.

If you like your Whisy smoky, almost tarry, with loads of Sherry, thats a clear and low Price recommendation (from until recently the newest Distillery on the Isle of Islay) to try!

Now its your Turn.

Sláinte!
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-12-09 at 04:12 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Whisky Thread

ahhh....instant welcome!

Currently halfway through a bottle of Laphroaig back home as well as a couple others. I'm very much a peat and smoke man myself. However being at work there is no chance for me to drink at this moment.

and While I don't know its current disposition about 20 years ago the Scottish Whisky Museum (just off the top of the royal mile) had probably the best tasting bar I ever ran into, sold at a steep discount and by the dram. Which is about the amount for good taste without getting so that the taste of next flight doesn't matter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!

I have always been more of a Lagavulin Man myself, to be honest. Aside from the fact it was the Whisky that made me love whisky, back in 99, which makes it about my only "msut have in the Bar", the very best Laphroaigs (older red Stripe CS, some Independant bottlings for example) beat it easily...but of the Standards, Lagavulin 16 has, aside from a reduced peatiness sometime around the early 2000s, kept perfectly constant Quality, while Laphroaig has, since they started with more experimental stuff and reduced the 10y to 40%.
    If they would just bottle it at 46%, I would be happier, but thena gain, I would say that about any non CS Malt, so...^^

@ RWM:

When I was in Edinburgh in 2016, they still had amazing amounts of great Whisky....but the Prices were sadly quite pricey.

So I agree, if you get to E., go there. But bring more money than you want. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Hubby's Scotch of choice is Aberlour. Bourbons, he likes Blanton's and Eagle Rare, though Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve will do for budget purposes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

had a nip of Highland Park 12 year last night. One of my faves.

followed that up by cracking open my bottle of Breckenridge Rum Cask Finish Whiskey i got on vacation. smooth, sweet, smokey, i first had it as an old fashioned w/ a brandied cherry and orange rind. I had to fight my pops off from stealing the bottle!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Never heard of Breckenridge, but given Bourbon is not even remotely as well available outside the US, this should not surprise me.

The only Bourbons I drink regularly are Blantons SftB (its more or less the Aberlour Abunadh of Bourbons, and the Bottles are simply amazing for later use^^, sadly they are getting rarer over here), Eagle Rare 10y if I want something less powerful but nice, or if its available (which is strangely getting rarer as well) Bookers 7y.

Until I tried any of those 3 I was actually of the Opinion Bourbon was flat and boring.

While it does have much less complexity and difference from Distillery to Distillery than Single MAlt, I was taught otherwise, and the SFTB is actually in my Top 10 of "not gone" Whiskies.

Glad this was received well btw.

To treat this with the respect it deserves, I`ll end the evening with a Dram of Aberlour Abunadh batch 60!
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-12-09 at 04:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll try a glass of almost anything, up (down?) to and including the bottle with the aggressively American label that the bartender described as "Oh, it's bad. We just bought that as a joke. Do you want to try some?" (It was not fantastic).

If I'm treating myself to something I know I'll like, I'm fond of the sort of peaty, smoky single malts you get from Islay. Ardbeg is probably a favorite.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

dunno how far they distribute, but Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, made here in denver, is amazing. if you can get ahold of that in ye olde country GD, i suggest you try it. I don't like anything else they make, all the other versions of it, the special runs and such aren't as good as the original yellow label.

and it's small batch, and definitely not available outside here, but K.J. Wood Distillery (Ouray, CO) makes a fantastic rye whiskey (Ourye), and a great bourbon (Dead Drift). My uncle, who's version of alchohol begins and ends w/ Bud Light, drank half a bottle of my dead drift. Rude, considering i offered him a drink, and it's a 5 hour drive 1 way for me to go get more lol!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm mostly a rye fan, particularly Wild Turkey rye. There is a local distillery here in Utah called High West that makes a really good Double Rye, although I'm not a particular fan of their Rendezvous Rye for some reason. For a Scotch, I'll have what sktarq is having - Laphroaig is by far my favorite. So good. I used to enjoy a Glenlivet, but Laphroaig just blew it away for me.
    I tried to like Famous Grouse specifically because of a line in a book*, but it just didn't do much for me. My uncle absolutely loves it, so I gave him the rest of the bottle.

*From The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. The line is something like 'he watered the drink down enough that it was Vaguely Familiar Grouse'. Great book, great line, just not my favorite Whisky.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tried introducing the hubby to Writer's Tears (an Irish whisky) a few years back back when he was trying to write a novel. He wasn't a fan of it though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Tried introducing the hubby to Writer's Tears (an Irish whisky) a few years back back when he was trying to write a novel. He wasn't a fan of it though.
    Irish whisky called Writer's Tears? ...I love it already.

I generally prefer bourbons. Kentucky bourbon is usually what I default to if I want a shot of something, especially since most establishments have it. Though my favorite bourbon is Burnside, which is made by a local distillery.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Yeah, couldn't find it in OH, so I got it from a Binny's in the Chicago area. Came with two lovely snifters too (that hubby ended up immediately breaking one accidentally).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Standard Writers Tears is, as the writers it was allegedly made to comemorate, an aquired taste.

Only Irish I normally like (meaning outside of "I have only had Smoky Stuff for 4 months, get me something fruity^^) is Redbreast.

As for the Rye: Sadly, outside the US you dont get Rye that much. I ahve to agree though that its the better american Whisky.
    tried 2 (sadly cant remember their names, only that one was from Colorado and one from Kentucky) on a tasting and found them almost as complex as Malt.

Oh, and since I just finished my yearly Bottle Sharing Operation, now trying Whisky 2 of said Shared Bottles: Klichoman Sanaig.
    Lets see how I like it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I like Laphroaig but it's not an everyday whisky: while I like it peaty, something a little smoother is often welcome.

I got some Benromach as a gift a few years ago; that was pretty good. It was most notable because it's a bit stronger than most, so it has a kick to it - while still having a similar depth and smokiness to, say, Talisker.

My mum gave me a bottle of Cardhu gold reserve for Christmas, which I haven't tried before but am looking forward to opening.

My first exposure to American whiskey was Jack Daniels, and the less said about that the better I think. I have recently picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon but I only really use it for cocktails.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Japanese distillers are doing some wonderful things with rice mashes. I'm currently finishing off a bottle of Fukano 10 year single cast, and it's in my top 3 whiskies of all time. I find therice whiskies much smoother than their counterparts.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    My first exposure to American whiskey was Jack Daniels, and the less said about that the better I think. I have recently picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon but I only really use it for cocktails.
    I don't know if you can get it in your area, but Bulleit is another fairly common American whiskey that's much more drinkable than Jack Daniels. They make both a Bourbon and Rye, not sure which you might prefer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding the Bulleit Rye, for primary Malt Drinkers its a good Whiskey to try.
    Or, if your store have Buffallo Trace they might have Blantons Straight from the Barrel (belongs to BT). If you like cask strnength, that one has yet to disappoint. :)

ALso, ugh, those were some awful weeks.

Enjoying a Glendronach Parliament to welcome the weekend.

Hmmmm....
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2021-01-22 at 03:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoy a good glass of whiskey, although I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as folks here in this thread.

One that I try to always have a bottle at home is Maker's Mark. What would be some similar whiskeys?

Also, I've noticed someone mentioned fruity whiskey, which I don't think I've ever had. I'm intriged, though, as I rather like fruity/sweeter beer.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I don't like whisky. Recommend me a whisky that will change my mind (or, more accurately, what's a good whisky for someone who doesn't like the whisky they've tried so far but is open to trying more, something milder in the taste perhaps).

So far, the one I like the most is a mixed drink, Canadian Club with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I don't like whisky. Recommend me a whisky that will change my mind (or, more accurately, what's a good whisky for someone who doesn't like the whisky they've tried so far but is open to trying more, something milder in the taste perhaps).

So far, the one I like the most is a mixed drink, Canadian Club with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime.
    Is the idea here to expand your horizons or to find something to just sip on casually that you know you will enjoy without thought?

Also, are you looking for a mixing spirit or a spirit to be enjoyed by itself?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #21
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Is the idea here to expand your horizons or to find something to just sip on casually that you know you will enjoy without thought?
    Expand horizons, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, are you looking for a mixing spirit or a spirit to be enjoyed by itself?
    A little bit of both, but mostly interested in one to be enjoyed by itself or on the rocks.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

22. - Top - End - #22

Expand horizons, mostly.

A little bit of both, but mostly interested in one to be enjoyed by itself or on the rocks.
    If you would like to continue on the Canadian whiskey methodology, I'd recommend Crown Royal. It's very easy to find and reasonably priced.

If you're looking for bourbon/American whiskey I'd go for Buffalo Trace. It's quite delicious and at one point was replaced as my house bourbon from Makers Mark which is more expensive.

I cannot recommend a scotch whiskey yet.

Buffalo Trace is also 90 proof. Which means it's great on the rocks but also mixes fairly well. When you venture beyond 90 proof you start finding it doesn't mix nearly as well.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-24 at 10:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomePirate

Been on a bit of a whiskey kick lately myself, trying different kinds, watching Whiskey Tribe on youtube and so forth.
    Japanese whiskies are so much smoother than other straight whiskeys I have tried and I highly recommend them. Even the cheap 39-49 dollar bottles of Suntori (I think) are a good value. That's cheap for Japanese whiskey if you haven't looked.

On advice of whiskey tribe and other you tube reviews I tried Monkey Shoulder Scotch. Yeah no. Despite all the claims of flavor and smoothness, I found none of that when I tried it. It tasted like generic Scotch

I am including Bourbons in the whiskey category as they are an offshoot.
    Elijah Craig is still one of my go-to favorites. Much smoother than any Scotch I have had and it tastes decent relatively. That and when I was deployed it was tradition at the end of deployment when handover had occurred in an area we were allowed to go somewhere that I would do Elijah Craig on the rocks to wind down so good memories.

As for flavored whiskeys, don't knock it, the best whiskey is the one you will drink. There are some really good ones out there worth trying just for general sipping.

Old Smokey Salted Caramel is absolutely yummy. Even my wife will drink it straight. Excellent dessert whiskey.

Catch Fire- forget Fireball, go find Catch Fire. Much smoother than Fireball and better taste.

Pecan Whiskey- I forget who makes it, this goes back into more normal whiskey taste but with a strong pecan flavoring so the wife might do a shot but she isn't sipping it. Worth drinking though especially if you like pecans like I do.

Maple Whiskey- Crown Royal makes this seasonally and there is a reason it sells out ridiculously quickly. Thankfully there are some off brands that make it too. Do not pass up on this one, we are not heavy drinkers and we went through a bottle of this just over the holidays between the two of us. Also a really good recipe for a drink using this is Ottawa Apple. 1.5oz of Maple whiskey and I think 3oz of Cran-Apple juice. Try it, its amazing.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: The Whisky Thread

My favorite drink whiskey press.

Soda water 🍶 💧
    Your whiskey of choice
    Ginger ale, sprite, or clear sugared soda on top.

Ice

If you order this most bartender will ask you how to make one.

I was told by one younger bartender that vodka presses are a thing with a younger crowd? Anyone ever tried this?
    Last edited by denthor; 2021-01-26 at 10:21 PM.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    My favorite drink whiskey press.

Soda water 🍶 💧
    Your whiskey of choice
    Ginger ale, sprite, or clear sugared soda on top.

Ice

If you order this most bartender will ask you how to make one.

I was told by one younger bartender that vodka presses are a thing with a younger crowd? Anyone ever tried this?
    Carbonated water + sweetener + alcohol is probably the most basic form of cocktail (and using a fairly neutral flavored soda gives you the carbonation and the sugar in one convenient liquid), so .. probably? My personal tastes involve more citrus flavor and I'm not a fan of vodka, so I can't really speak to that; I find vodka drinks to mainly be the realm of people who just wanna get drunk, and I prefer the alcohol in my drinks to have at least some part to play in the actual flavor of the drink.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Carbonated water + sweetener + alcohol is probably the most basic form of cocktail (and using a fairly neutral flavored soda gives you the carbonation and the sugar in one convenient liquid), so .. probably? My personal tastes involve more citrus flavor and I'm not a fan of vodka, so I can't really speak to that; I find vodka drinks to mainly be the realm of people who just wanna get drunk, and I prefer the alcohol in my drinks to have at least some part to play in the actual flavor of the drink.
    Not whisky at all, but I've always wanted to try an Orange Whip, which by all indications is absolutely delicious, and is vodka-based (well, vodka and rum).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I'm currently sitting in my apartment enjoying the lovely Laphroaig 10. However, I do feel a bit guilty since it literally tripled my grocery bill. Can anyone make any recommendations for something fairly smooth that won't make a student feel like they're frittering their parents' money?

Peaty is great. I've been somewhat disappointed by American bourbons thus far. My knowledge of whiskey is still limited, as I was just getting into trying them out when the world as we knew it ended.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2021-01-29 at 06:14 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    So, I'm currently sitting in my apartment enjoying the lovely Laphroaig 10. However, I do feel a bit guilty since it literally tripled my grocery bill. Can anyone make any recommendations for something fairly smooth that won't make a student feel like they're frittering their parents' money?
    Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie tend to be relatively affordable, if I remember rightly (though I've not bought either in a while). They're both on the smooth side, certainly smoother than Laphroaig (but then, what isn't?)

Otherwise, you might have to resort to blended whisky. The trick is to find a blend that's actually a blend of malts, rather than common-or-garden "blended", which is basically vodka with food colouring. Here they are labelled differently, although I'm not sure about where you are.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I often do this with peoiple I meet, let me ask yoou 3 Questions beforehand.

1.: What Whiskies have you tried so far?
    2.: Do you dring other Spirits that yxou enjoy, if yes, which ones?
    3: What Aromas do you generally enjoy?

Since "Whhisky" is far too complex ana rray of aromas to "simply recommend one".

Also a sidenote: "mild" means "has no strong taste(s)" but most people seem to equal it with "does not burn if I take too alrge a gulp", which has next to nothing to do with the whisky, and a lot with the Drinker. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I enjoy a good glass of whiskey, although I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as folks here in this thread.

One that I try to always have a bottle at home is Maker's Mark. What would be some similar whiskeys?

Also, I've noticed someone mentioned fruity whiskey, which I don't think I've ever had. I'm intriged, though, as I rather like fruity/sweeter beer.
    Partly, see above.

As for Fruity and tasty Whiskey, I usually recommend a Redbreast 12y, a Bushmills 3 wood (both lower price area) or for redder fruits/dried fruits, Glenfarclas 18+y, Glendronach 21 Parliament or similar. Sadly its hard to get the (ubiquitous in my earlier Whisky years between 2000 and 2012ish) very old Bourbon Cask Scotch that were amazingly fruity nowadays....stupid Speculation induced pricing...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post

Peaty is great. I've been somewhat disappointed by American bourbons thus far. My knowledge of whiskey is still limited, as I was just getting into trying them out when the world as we knew it ended.
    Well, seeing that Laphroaig 10y IS an Entry level Whisky already, I cant really recommend anything "cheaper", my recommendation is and will always be: Drink less, Drink Better!

But general Entry Level (ergo below 40 Euros/Dollars a Bottle) Whiskies I always recommend to try are:
    Laphroaig 10 (well done^^), Talsiker 10y (very unique profile), Bowmore 15 (needs to be on sale, but very much worth it, hugely complex Whisky), Redbreats 12y (my favourite Irish), Glenfarclas 15 (as old school sherry Whisky as you can get nowadays, also mostly will need to be on sale) and lastly Kilchoman Sanaig.

All of them are good or very good for their price range, quality Whiskies.

I hope I could help,and sory that it took a while to respond, my health is still not fully back on track.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2021-02-06 at 08:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

See, if I want a good tasting whiskey on its own, when I am not trying to go hardcore, then Coopers Mark Maple Whiskey or Old Camp Pecan whiskey. For a desert whiskey, Old Smokey Salted Caramel Whiskey, even the wife will drink that straight and enjoy it. I have tried getting into some Scotches and they are just too harsh to me. Monkey Shoulder is claimed to be a beginner Scotch and wow, no thanks, I find nothing good tasting on that front. Ill be donating it to my neighbors next party. I find myself gravitating more towards the Bourbon family.

The Best whiskey is the one you enjoy drinking.