Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Whisky Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    The Best whiskey is the one you enjoy drinking.
    And I drink an 11y old Glengoynew from a PX Hogshead our Whisky forum bought 11 years ago that I finally got my 3 Bottles from this week to that. :)

57.2%, no chill filtration or coloring. Pure, Chocolatty-fruity Goodness.

Hmmmm....
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I tried a Bulliet over the weekend, once more reinforcing my positive opinion of bourbons. Very smooth and on par with Elijah Craig.

I need to try some more Scotches just to see if Monkey Shoulder was an exception or is typical. Need to finish off some bottles on my fridge though, out of room with all the bottles there we use for mixing.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm a fan of Irish Whiskey and Tullamore Dew is my favourite. My father is a fan of Johnny Walker Black Label and I enjoy that brand as well.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    I tried a Bulliet over the weekend, once more reinforcing my positive opinion of bourbons. Very smooth and on par with Elijah Craig.

I need to try some more Scotches just to see if Monkey Shoulder was an exception or is typical. Need to finish off some bottles on my fridge though, out of room with all the bottles there we use for mixing.
    Monkey Shoulder is an average Blended Malt (if one canc all it that, as blended Malts have been dying out for a while).

I dont know if expecting aromas from "Cocktails" ( I refuse to call stuff that is "Sweet Stuff X + some Whisky" Whisky^^) wiull help you, but since I know and like Bulleit (the Rye much more than the Bourbon though) you dont seem to be on the "Sweet Tooth stuff only" trip.

My Suggestion would be to find a well stocked pub (once the corona restrictins are reduced/lifted), take 20 dollars, and try the following 3 of the following 6 "Standard" Whiskies (and ONLY have water otherwwise to make sure aromas can be fully experienced):
    Glenmorangie 10y (as example of a "mostly maked" Malt, no smoke, smooth Destillery character, little cask aroma)
    Talisker 10y (as a "Special tasting" oddball and value Bomb^^)
    Bowmore 15y (As example of "Complex/a bit of everything"", as both the Peat and the Sherry play well together with wood aromas)
    Lagavulin 16y (as a smooth, well aged, yet strongly peated example)
    Glenfarclas 15y (as probably THE most iconic affordable old style Sherry cask Whisky)
    Ardbeg 10y (As the most affordable "Hard Smoke Bomb Whisky" out atm^^).

If you try all 6 you`ll likely know if, and what, Malt QWhiskies you like.

Enjoy.

Also, enjoying a Glenfarclas 105 prtoof atm. Always a winner.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2021-03-13 at 03:16 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Forgot about this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you would like to continue on the Canadian whiskey methodology, I'd recommend Crown Royal. It's very easy to find and reasonably priced.

If you're looking for bourbon/American whiskey I'd go for Buffalo Trace. It's quite delicious and at one point was replaced as my house bourbon from Makers Mark which is more expensive.

I cannot recommend a scotch whiskey yet.

Buffalo Trace is also 90 proof. Which means it's great on the rocks but also mixes fairly well. When you venture beyond 90 proof you start finding it doesn't mix nearly as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions! It'll be a while, but I've taken a note of these.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Since I often do this with peoiple I meet, let me ask yoou 3 Questions beforehand.

1.: What Whiskies have you tried so far?
    2.: Do you dring other Spirits that yxou enjoy, if yes, which ones?
    3: What Aromas do you generally enjoy?

Since "Whhisky" is far too complex ana rray of aromas to "simply recommend one".

Also a sidenote: "mild" means "has no strong taste(s)" but most people seem to equal it with "does not burn if I take too alrge a gulp", which has next to nothing to do with the whisky, and a lot with the Drinker. ^^
    I've taken a shot of 190 proof alcohol before. Trust me, it's not the burning. I'm talking about the flavour.

1. I don't know if I've remembered all of them, but I've definitely tried these:
    Jack Daniel's
    Johnnie Walker (Black, Red, some others)
    Jim Beam
    Jameson
    (That's a lot of Js...)
    Canadian Club
    Wild Turkey

2. That really depends on what you mean by spirit. I've never really enjoyed the taste of "plain" spirits in the sense of "this is really good give me more", though some are much more tolerable than others (vodka, for instance), but many of them go extremely well in cocktails and mixed drinks (vodka, for instance), or already flavoured/liqueurs (coconut rum, for example). To give you an example in rum, I'm not a huge fan of Bundaberg Rum, but I can tolerate Bundaberg Red Rum much better because it is a lot more smooth. Add Coke to it and Bundaberg Red is quite good.

3. I'm not sure about the aroma. I don't exactly sniff them for the aroma by itself, it's just part of the drink as a whole...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Since it fits here, there's a movie, either on Netflix or Hulu(wife controls the TV while I game on PC), called Neat. Its all about the history of Bourbon, its effects on society and so forth. Its extremely rare for me to even come close to tearing up, to the point I have no idea why other people cry during supposed emotional parts of movies and events (product of growing up in a house where boys don't cry unless they are badly hurt type of environment), and I will say, maybe it was a result of meds I am on from surgery this past week, but I almost teared up at one point when one of the people where telling their story. Very worth watching.
    PCs are not exceptional. They are normal Joe Shmoes stuck in exceptional circumstances.