New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Rogue Squadron Movie! (and I guess a bunch of other stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    It was ill received because they had to spend half movie doing damage control
    I didn't see any damage control. Maybe it was in Fortnite?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Trevorrow's version wasn't panned by the fans the ones in charge refused to change the ending of episode 8 to accomodate his efforts to keep the trilogy intact.

So blaming the fans for that is frankly ridiculous.

As for course correcting why not just have Finn wake up from his coma revealing all of 8 was a really bad force vision then you'd have Snoke and Luke albeit no Leia but at least the means to end the trilogy properly.

I'd guess that would be shot down too especially if that script supposedly of JJ's is true.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't get too excited about DOTF. We haven't seen the final script, just an early version which wouldn't have worked at all without Carrie... and had plenty of problems of its own.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ahh, the actual arrogance explains it then.

What I meant, though, was that knowing and doing are two very, very different things. You could give Alan Moore complete, detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to perform heart surgery or land a 747, and he would not be able to do those things - at least, not without a lot of time spent practicing and getting to know the details about why some parts matter, why certain actions are important, etc. etc. Artists can absolutely tap into what people didn't even know they wanted, but to claim that if a person knows what they want, they are no longer the audience but the artist... He effectively says "only artists have any idea what they are doing. Also I am an artist, you peasants."
    The reality is of course somewhere in between. I go to watch MCU movies because I know exactly what I want. I like the quipping and banter and all the other things that make up a MCU movie. On the flip side, if you had offered me "Anime Among Us" I would have probably turned you down on the basis of my previous experience with Death Note. I nonetheless watched Talentless Nana based on the reviews and it's one of my favorite anime shows of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    As for course correcting why not just have Finn wake up from his coma revealing all of 8 was a really bad force vision then you'd have Snoke and Luke albeit no Leia but at least the means to end the trilogy properly.
    I want them to do this.

Not because it's a good idea.

I want them to do this because adding the single most hated retcon device into Star Wars would be GLORIOUS. It would cause a Charybdis of hate. The planet would condense into a black hole.

Best of all, the rewrites would probably have pushed RoS into being a 2020 movie.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I didn't make myself clear, sorry. What I meant is that RoS massively corrected plot and themes after TLJ.

After extremely vehement claims for a course correction in the franchise after TLJ, the result of Disney course-correcting because of popular uproar ended up being even more poorly received than the alternative of following what TLJ had established---the leak of the original script from Colin Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates was almost unanimously deemed better than the result of course-correcting to RoS. I see that partly as an example of fans not liking what they had asked for, and at the end of the day probably preferring the alternative.
    Oh, OK. I more or less agree. For me, the main problem with IX is carried over from the other movies, especially TFA, and it's not strictly in the plot, as much as the lack of a feeling of danger (or maybe I should say, how arbitrary consequences feel). In TFA, we have blunt lightsabers and the hero getting away just because. In IX, Kylo gets beaten up with blunt blades. Overall, the treasure hunt, the inconsistent danger and the goofy expedients that undo death twice in a movie have the feeling of a children tv show from the 90s.
    Snoke gets killed in TLJ, but we cannot have Kylo as a pure villain, because we have seen too much of him in TFA (to me at least he gave a "need help" rather than "need killing" vibe), so we get the Emperor reborn. This in spite of TLJ ending with a fully unfettered, raging evil Kylo.
    And the villain needs a connection to the hero, so they get related, in spite of TLJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

I just hope that Disney doesn't over saturate the market with Star Wars stuff and get every fed up with it. It'll end up ruining the good ones by making the franchise intellectually bankrupt when they're pumping out like 4 shows and a movie every other year.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antediluvian View Post
    I just hope that Disney doesn't over saturate the market with Star Wars stuff and get every fed up with it. It'll end up ruining the good ones by making the franchise intellectually bankrupt when they're pumping out like 4 shows and a movie every other year.
    The overwhelming majority of this content is headed for Disney+. It's pretty hard to oversaturate the market for a streaming service. People will just watch whatever amount they're comfortable with. The only real danger is producing a show that only makes sense if you've already seen another show. That might require a bit of careful plotting, but it looks good so far. Boba Fett and Fennec Shand where in The Mandalorian a bunch, but it was nothing a 30-sec recap bumper couldn't handle.

And a lot of this stuff is waaay down the road. The Rogue Squadron movie is tentatively set for Christmas 2023, which means it's the better part of two years before filming. I'd bet some of the series, like The Acolyte, are projected equally far out. By the end of 2023, The Mandalorian will be wrapping Season 5, which could very easily be it for the show, which would setup a cycle from that point onward.

Many of the projects are probably going to be small too. The Mandalorian, for all the hype it (IMO deservedly) gets, is actually fairly short. With only eight episodes per season it manages to occupy only 1-quarter's worth of hype before it fades into waiting for the next season mode. If other shows are of similar setup you could easily run 2-3 shows plus a miniseries (the Obi-Wan show is going to be a miniseries, I suspect The Acolyte will be as well, and probably the Lando show too) each year without any overlap.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting