Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 271 to 298 of 298
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 6/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

    Borthan advances back in the direction of the enemy, seamlessly sliding his two shortswords into their sheaths as he advances. Finding a position behind Bupido, he decides to show his new friends an old trick he used to use to swindle drinks in taverns. In one practiced motion he draws two daggers and once, spins them both nimbly in his palm while raising his arms up, and lets both of them fly at the giant spider. In those throws he channels all the anger and despair at seeing Nilvae fall when he is not close enough, too wounded, and not trained well enough to aid her.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dagger attacks- (1d20+5)[24] and (1d20+5)[25] to hit, and (1d4+3)[4] and (1d4+3)[5] damage. (1d4)[4] if I manage to crit.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-02 at 06:23 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Three crystalline meteorites of coalesced magic form and arc through the crowd with absolute precision, homing in on the shirtless drow who'd just joined the fight. They slam into his chest, leaving marks that will surely bruise. He looks out across the crowded bridge, unable to pick out who just shot him.

    "I bwill reach her if I can," voice filled with a new sense of urgency, the fishman moves alongside Faedryl, looking across the bridge and trying to plan a route. "Please holb on..."

    Filled with desperate strength after Nilvae's fall, Borthan sends both daggers spiralling into the spider's back with fierce precision. The creature's chitinous shell leaks green-yellow oozing fluids from inside. Topsy stands behind him on the bridge, attempting to toss a dagger over their heads. But her arc is too wide and it sails past, clattering down the tunnel. With a firm frown she kneels down and slits the last fallen drow's throat.

    The Commons

    Past their current foes, the group at the end of the bridge can see another quaggoth lumbering swiftly down the hall on three limbs, the fourth rubbing its eyes.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Faedryl casts Magic Missile, for 12 damage on Shoor.
    Borthan hits Giant Spider with two throws for 4 damage, and a 9 damage crit.
    Topsy finishes off the last Drow Warrior, but misses a throw on the Giant Spider.

    Nilvae, Derendil, Sarith and Stool are up. Nilvae makes her first, and possibly last Death Save.


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 13/26
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (1hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on: Rage (7 rounds)

    Derendil lashes out at the spider again, attempting to eliminate a foe from the fight.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    To hit- (1d20+5)[18] and (1d6+5)[6] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)
    Concentrating: --


    Eighth Day, Escape

    With practiced fingers he loads another bolt into his crossbow and looses it at the closest target that still stands in his way. It wouldn't be long now until the full outpost was bearing down on them, and they couldn't stay on the bridge clumped up like this. One errant fire or thunder spell could send them all tumbling to the ooze below.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Action: Attack: (1d20+8)[28] Damage: (1d6+4)[9] + 6 crit damage (in discord)
    Conditional Actions if no skill check required:
    Object Interaction: Stow crossbow so he's got both hands free.
    Move: Drop down the side of the bridge and grab the edge.
    Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Hide. (1d20+6)[11] Disadvantage from exhaustion: (1d20+6)[13]



    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-05 at 04:10 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 28/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Shillelagh (10 rds.), Wildshape (Giant Lizard)
    Concentration: -

    Stool notices the urgent plea of the fish man, and squeaks. Its form contorts, hyphae extend and after a while, a surprisingly slimy example of a giant cave lizard stands next to Shuushar. Hold onto Stool! We go underside. it squeals happily. If the large fish is fast enough and agrees, the fungal lizard uses the underside of the bridge to get to Nilvae.

    Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 3/23
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12 San: 7 (-1)
    Conditions: Mask of Many Faces (Kronryn, 1h), Beast Speech (1h)
    Concentration: -

    Laying on the floor, Nilvae's form does not shift, indicating she is still alive as the fey magic courses through her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Saves:
    Failed: XX
    Succeeded: X


  6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Derendil grabs onto the spider with his claw, gripping it by the face and digging his sharp nails into its face. But its strong, solid chitin holds as its fangs flail at his arm. While the quaggoth holds the beast in place, Sarith loads in a new bolt and lines up a shot carefully. With a thunk, his bolt sinks straight into the spider's face just below Derendil's grasp and it goes slack.

    "Blubssed aid, friend. Let us ride!" Swinging into Stool's back as the druidic shroom shifts into a lizardly form, the kuo-toa takes a firm grasp with his webbed arms and feet. Stool crawls around the outside of the crowded guard post, carrying Shuushar along the bottom of the bridge. The kuo-toa cranes his stubby neck, but still can't get a view of Nilvae. Reaching up over the edge of the bridge, he waves at Dworic. "Blease, assist me up. Toss me ib bloo must! I must reach the girl beblore she exbires!"

    Looking down, Dworic heaves Shuushar back onto the bridge, now nearer to his destination. Then the dwarf pushes his way across the bridge himself, kicking the lifeless bodies off the edge and into the webbing below to clear up space.

    From inside of the shrine of Lolth, a stately drow woman emerges. Features older and sharper than the younger Asha, her eyes glare at the escapees with searing superiority. As if she were looking at ants that dared crawl upon her porch. "All hands, contain this. Recapture the prisoners! They have many losses to pay back." She adjusts her top, which looks to have been donned rather hastily, and flicks a rod at her side. Three long tentacles flail to life out of the tip, probing and lashing at the air as if they had a life of their own. She commands one of them to nudge the sleeping spider awake, stirring it from the depths of Nilvae's enchantment.

    "As you bid, Mistress." Clearly pleased to show off in front of his matron, Shoor kicks up one of the fallen elite's blades to accompany his own, a pair of thrusts landing home against Derendil. The arcane barrier is punctured at last, and Derendil again feels the flesh of his alien body parted by the weapons of his captors. Then, unexpectedly, he feels something prick his leg. Looking down he can see the dying spider twitching with vestiges of life, sinking its fangs into him. A sinking feeling fills the quaggoth, and he feels his body fall out beneath him as he slumps against the wall. He finds himself paralyzed, unable to move yet eyes still open and seeing, blurry as his vision is.

    Watching the frontline fall one by one, Topsy frowns and looks into the waterfall beside them, and the water below. "Hate to say it, but we may want to make a break for it. Turvy! Go for the shore!" the female gnome calls out. Her brother hesitates, looking at their motley gang of fellow inmates, but ultimately decides to follow his sister's instructions. He leaps from the bridge and dives into the water below, swimming quickly to the shore once he surfaces.

    The Commons

    Out of view and earshot, the priestess Asha continues to gather aid.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Nilvae passes her Death Save, living another round.
    Stool turns into a Giant Lizard and picks up Shuushar, carrying him forward some.
    Derendil slashes Giant Spider for 6 damage.
    Sarith shoots Giant Spider for a 15 damage crit, and a KO.

    Dworic lifts Shuushar back onto the bridge and clears some bodies for map QoL.
    Eldeth is unable to get in position for a better shot, so she Delays her turn.

    Ilvara uses her action to nudge Giant Spider awake.
    Shoor grabs a second shortsword and stabs Derendil twice for 3 and 2 damage after Resistance, breaking his barrier.

    Ront Dashes.

    Giant Spider critically stabilizes, and bites at Derendil for 3 piercing damage after resistance, and 12 poison damage. Derendil is KO'd, paralyzed, and stabilizes automatically.
    Giant Spider bites Buppido for 10 piercing and 10 poison. Buppido is KO'd paralyzed, and stabilizes automatically.

    Turvy Long Jumps past the webs and down into the water, then swims to shore using his Dash.

    Faedryl is up. Borthan may also take his action. I'll wait on some of the NPCs and on Eldeth, to see what they do.


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 13/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Create Bonfire

    Eighth Day, Escape

    She can't exactly blame the gnomes for their retreat, seeing Nilvae dying and Derendil now down as well. The momentum was swinging in the other direction, slowly whittled down by the outpost's numbers. Her spellbook and component pouch was here though, and she didn't fancy her chances in the Underdark even less equipped than she already was. She doesn't know the words to say here. Encourage? Call a retreat? Would they listen? In their shoes, would she? She opts to lead by example, not by simple words, once again calling forth flames to rise up beneath the feet of her enemies - this time the one looming over Derendil's unconscious form. To add insult to injury, she aims her telekinesis at the spider adjacent, looking to push it into the flames alongside the drow.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show


    Move: Step forward 5' into the gap that's available.
    Action: Cast Create Bonfire on Shoor. (1d20)[20]+modifier DexSave vs 14 or take (1d8)[5] fire damage.
    Bonus Action: Shove the spider above Shoor back into him. (1d20)[19]+modifier StrSave vs 14 or be pushed back 5' into Shoor. And the fire. (1d20)[1]+modifier DexSave vs 14 or take (1d8)[1] fire damage.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 6/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

    Borthan looks forward at the coming enemies and downed allies, back at the prisoners who they have to move in and do battle, and makes a snap judgement call. At best, he could throw three more daggers, and it seemed likely he would be face to face with a foe again almost immediately. At worst, he would get in the way of those coming up to fight and go down fighting. Noble, some would say. He had no stomach for nobility. Borthan turns and shouts over his shoulder. Keep fightin if you want, but I'm gonna get the wounded out of here. Anyone who can't or won't fight, try to do the same. I make you all a promise, though. I'm coming back. That said, Borthan takes a few steps to run up and leaps off the bridge across to the ledge on the other side. Leaning down, he does his best to drag the quaggoth away from the looming spider. If anyone was gonna haul the big half-beast, it might as well be someone strong. He scoops the hulking, paralyzed form over his shoulders, turns back to the enemies, and awkwardly lumbers forward and leaps towards the waterfall. He attempts to slide the quaggoth off his shoulders to the right so they don't hit the water as one mass. When they both splash down, Borthan intends to support the quaggoth and haul it to shore.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    10 feet of movement to jump across to be adjacent to Derendil. Action to scoop up Derendil and avoid AoO from the spider. Use remaining movement to leap off the edge, hopefully avoiding the webs. If I have any movement left, swim to Derendil, get his head above water, and start moving to shore.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-08 at 09:51 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    The magical flames shoot up around Shoor, but the drow's eyes light up with recognition at the incantation, and he dances and weaves around them, in motions that would be captivating lit up from below if not for the frustration. Faedryl's frustrated shove against the spider fails to make it budge, its eight legs gripping the ground firmly.

    Leaping into the firelight, Borthan grabs Derendil and drags the strangely friendly quaggoth off the ledge with him, plunging past the webs and into the dark water below. Shuushar walks forwards, standing on the edge of the bridge and finally catching a glimpse of Nilvae upon the ground, blood pooling around her. "Live!" he calls out, healing magic spreading through her body, as she gasps awake. After doing all he can, the fishman grabs Buppido in a fireman carry and jumps off the bridge, sailing down past the web and landing with a splash next to Borthan.

    Jimjar snaps off a shot with his crossbow that knocks the risen spider back into unconsciousness, then backs up across the bridge to find a better place to leap from. Topsy runs past and dives off after her brother, plunging gracefully into the water.


    Nilvae awakens to find herself at the feet of a drow priestess, who looks back at her dismissively. A quaggoth looms over her, teeth bared, and a second one is swiftly bearing down on her. "Knock this one out. It dies, you take its place," the priestess orders her quaggoth guard, who complies and punches Nilvae in the jaw, slamming her back into the ground. But she feels one last fleeting bit of strength left in her, twisting her head out of the way of a second punch.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Faedryl casts Create Bonfire, but Shoor passes his save.
    Faedryl uses a telekinetic shove, but Giant Spider passes its save.
    Shuushar casts Healing Word on Nilvae, healing her for 10.

    Quaggoth misses Nilvae, then hits for 9, leaving her barely conscious.

    Nilvae, Sarith, and Stool are up!


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 28/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Shillelagh (10 rds.), Wildshape (Giant Lizard; 19/19 HP)
    Concentration: -

    The lizard wonders why its rider demounts but advances regardless. There were innocents to be saved. It swiftly crosses the bridge only to open its maw and expunges another wave of spores at Shoor, something that should be not possible by any means.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Halo of Spores Con 13 save or suffer 1d4 necrotic damage. (3d20)[1][12][10](23) damage (3d4)[2][1][3](6)
    Shoor con save (1d20)[14]


    Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 1/23
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12 San: 7 (-1)
    Conditions: Mask of Many Faces (Kronryn, 1h), Beast Speech (1h)
    Concentration: -

    Nilvae jolts up as she is gently awoken via healing magic only to be punched again. Can't even bring yourself to kill your precious lover? Think you're not woman enough to fight me alone? You drow sluts are all the same! she says as she spits out unhealthy amounts of blood.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Half movement to stand up, Dodge action.

    Last edited by Spore; 2021-05-09 at 12:10 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)
    Concentrating: --


    Eighth Day, Escape

    He thought they still had a decent chance of winning. Yes, there would be deaths, but surely they expected to die in the process? Sarith notes that Faedryl hasn't retreated yet, but he has lost any sort of cover. Weaving away from the spider in front of him he darts back behind the dwarf, loosing a poisoned bolt at Shoor. "Is Duskryn dead?" She shoots him a quizzical look, it was hardly the topic for this fight. "Unconscious, I think." He tuts quietly. They could fix it on their return though.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Disengage.
    Move: Away from the spider, fire at Shoor.
    Action: Attack: (1d20+8)[11] Damage: (1d6+4)[9] + (1d6)[2] sneak attack. Firing a drow bolt, which I believe is a Con save? (1d20)[14]+modifiers.


    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Skipping back out of the way, Sarith raises his weapon and fires. His tired arm sways more than he'd like, and the bolt clatters against stone past his target. A lizard creature covered in slime molds crawls past him, emerging from below the bridge to spit spores at Shoor. The drow covers his face with his arm, mouth in the crook of his elbow with an expression of disgust. He jabs his weapon at the creature before him, meeting air. Then a second time, parting some of its flesh to reveal fungal growths beneath. Spores puff out, descending upon the spider nearby which is trying to stand up from the ground yet again. The spores eat away at its weakened form, and its legs slip, bringing it down once more.

    Gripping the chair with both hands, Dworic hurls it at the still-standing spider, but it overshoots and bounces off of the creature's tough chitinous hide. A burning inside of him urges him to remain, to fight and claw until his last breath, but it would be a pointless death against pointless drones. So instead he begins to pull back with the others. Eldeth leans out of the doorway after he passes, loosing a pair of bolts at the same spider. One spears it soundly, while the other goes wide.

    The spider hisses in anger, sinking fangs into Stool's disgusting reptilian form. Venom courses through the insides of the beast, and Stool feels a shock of pain as it is forced back into its original, fungal form.

    Ront picks up on what's going on and starts falling back, his tired footfalls forced and his eyelids heavy as he forces himself to move. Standing on the other bridge, he sways back and forth as of trying to build up momentum to clear the webs with a jump.


    "My lover?" the priestess turns to look at the disguised Nilvae, struggling to her feet. "You're almost convincing. You match his arrogant bravado quite well." With no effort on her part, like it's an afterthought, the tentacles attached to her rod lash out at Nilvae. She manages to stumble limply around two, before the last slaps her across the face. Stars spin again in her eyes as she falls to the ground.


    "Laven Byon Seek!" a voice echoes up from below, and four gleaming missiles sail up, swerving through the gaps in the webbing with unerring precision before riddling the side of the spider on the edge of the bridge with holes punched into its abdomen. The creature collapses silently, dead, and the faces of the two drow contort in vengeful grimaces.

    "Remember Shoor, living will not be a mercy for them..."

    The Pool

    As he surfaces, grabbing onto the unconscious quaggoth's side, Borthan notices a slick oily substance rolling over the surface of the water towards the base of the falls. The ooze, come to hunt for its meal.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Nilvae Dodges.
    Stool uses Pacifying Spores on Shoor, who passes his save.
    Sarith shoots at Shoor, but misses.

    Dworic throws his chair at Giant Spider, but misses.
    Eldeth shoots Giant Spider for a 14 damage crit, but misses with the second shot.

    Ilvara tentacles Nilvae for two misses and one hit, which KOs her with nonlethal damage.
    Shoor slashes at Stool twice, hitting his shifted form only once for 7 damage.

    Ront Dashes.

    The Immortal Giant Spider critically succeeds a death save and starts to get back up, but Stool's Halo of Spores KO it again.
    Giant Spider bites Stool for 5 piercing damage and 12 poison, breaking his Wild Shape.

    Turvy casts Magic Missile, killing the conscious Giant Spider.

    Faedryl goes! Borthan may go as well, as there are no important intervening turns.


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 13/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Create Bonfire

    Eighth Day, Escape

    The sight of the tentacle rod was enough for Faedryl to consider the battle lost. They were too few and too weakened to muster a proper defense to that, and she had almost expended her full magical repetoire. They had to do weaken what they could now though. Neither side was getting reinforcements, and every death and chipped away life was one fewer they would have to fight tomorrow or the day after. Playing it smart, they could win through attrition. "Once the big one goes down we run, we can't beat the priestesses in our current state." It's muttered, quiet so that only those nearby could hear.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Shoor appears to have ended his turn in the bonfire, and therefore provokes another save: (1d20)[14]+modifier DexSave vs 14 or take (1d8)[7] fire damage.

    Move: Step forward, cast her spells, then back behind Sarith, no net change.
    Bonus Action: Activate the Hexblade Curse on Shoor.
    Action: Cast Magic Missile on Shoor. Dealing (1d4)[4]+3 *3=21 damage total.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-11 at 04:12 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 6/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

    Seeing the ooze spreading across the water in front of him, Borthan grabs the quaggoth and starts swimming away at top speed. Someone throw down a corpse to distract this stupid puddle of muck!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swim 15, Dash 15.
    The Bear is Back.

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Bolts of magic sail across the bridge, rapidly slamming into Shoor, even as he dances around the flashes of flame from below him. Ripples of distorted space echo out from the impact points, knocking the breath out of him. The drow grits his teeth and maintains composure in spite of the powerful spell strike.

    But just as headway is being made against the shirtless drow, a new pair of quaggoth arrives at the other side of the bridge. One of them can't get into the melee and tosses a stone that bounces off of the wall behind Stool. The other tries to claw and grab at the little mushroom, but the bucket proves surprisingly durable against the monster's slashing claws.

    The Pool

    Borthan and Shuushar begin to swim for the shore. Following Borthan's gaze, Shuushar spots the oily ooze gliding towards them and follows the half-drow, rapidly overtaking him and moving ahead. Up above the floating needles of light hover at the end of the bridge hesitantly, Shuu unable to bring himself to strike the fallen spider.

    Ahead of them, Jimjar dives down into the water and begins swimming to shore, where Topsy is already climbing out of the cold water, shivering.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Faedryl sets her Hexblade Curse on Shoor and casts Magic Missile on him for 21 damage, but he avoided the fire damage on his turn - forgot to roll that myself, apologies.
    Shuushar Dashes, and directs his Spiritual Weapon next to Stool to menace impotently.
    Jimjar tosses a Quaggoth corpse down on top of a drow corpse on the web, but the web holds them both.
    Jimjar Dashes.
    Borthan Dashes.
    Topsy Dashes.

    Quaggoth claws at Stool, but they go off of the bucket.
    Quaggoth tosses a stone at Stool, but misses.

    Sarith and Stool are up!


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)
    Concentrating: --


    Eighth Day, Escape

    One more and then they would leave. So be it. Taking Shoor down was a worthy target, he supposed, and Faedryl was right - they were not in a state to defeat Ilvara as they were. He slips into the tower, feinting that he's retreating with the others, before darting back out and loosing a bolt at Shoor, hoping to throw him off balance with the quick movements.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move: Slip into the tower, Hide, then return and fire.
    Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Hide. (1d20+6)[9] With Disadvantage: (1d20+6)[15]
    Action: Attack: [1d20+8[/roll] Potential advantage with successful Hide: (1d20+8)[25] Damage: (1d6+4)[8] + (1d6)[5] sneak attack. Firing a drow bolt, which I believe is a Con save? (1d20)[8]+modifiers.


    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 28/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Shillelagh (8 rds.)
    Concentration: -

    Valiantly the tiny mushroom hides behind his poop bucket as he lashes back out at the drow warrior. His stick enveloped in green-brown glowing goo misses heavily, only spritzing the drow in a bit of bracken water.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shillelagh vs. Shoor misses with a 7.

    Last edited by Spore; Yesterday at 04:14 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    The little stick Stool is wielding grows to a large size, covered in viscous green goop, and he slams it down. But Shoor sidesteps, leaving it to splatter against the burning ground, filling the air with the stink of brackish water and hot sewage. The drow curls his face in disgust, but the distraction is exactly what Sarith needs to get off a shot. His bolt slashes across Shoor's chest, leaving a cut, but the poison doesn't seem to have seeped in enough to inflict its effects.

    Dragging out one of the quaggoth corpses, Dworic tries to toss it through the web to distract the ooze below, but the web holds soundly.

    Walking up next to Shoor, Ilvara gazes across the bridge and holds out a hand. She locks eyes with Sarith, cold spite in her eyes, and utters a single command. "Wither." A sickly green bolt of light, thin as a needle, arcs between them, and Sarith feels his stomach turn and his limbs go weak like gelatin. His vision flickers and goes dark, as he falls backwards onto the bridge, skin paling into an ashen grey.

    Emboldened, Shoor delivers a pair of small, precise cuts that dip below Stool's protective bucket and stab at his feet.

    The Pool

    Eldeth dives into the water from above. Not far behind her, Ront practically belly flops into the water.

    On the shore, Turvy looks at those still in the water. His hands are shaking, and he speaks up for once, fueled by panic and adrenaline. "Where do we go? I'm not even sure where we are..."

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Sarith shoots Shoor for 13 damage, but he passes his save against poison.
    Stool misses Shoor.

    Dworic drops a Quaggoth corpse onto the drow corpse in the web to try and break through, but the web holds.
    Eldeth dives down below.

    Ilvara casts Ray of Sickness on Sarith, dealing 20 damage, poisoning him, and KOing him.
    Shoor strikes Stool for 8 and 1 damage.

    Ront dives below.

    Faedryl is up! Borthan can also act!


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 13/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Create Bonfire

    Eighth Day, Escape

    Her lips purse as Sarith goes down from the spell. She could feel the strength of the magic from here, and does not want to be on the receiving end of it if she can help it. Nor did she really want to leave Sarith behind, and taking down the big one while they could...she was pulled in a dozen different directions, but when it came down to it she'd keep fighting as best she could. She steps forward, Looking to shove the spider back away from stool into her flames even as she summons another three beads of arcane force. They stream forward, striking Shoor, with what was the last of her potential today. After this she was reliant on cantrips which - while potent, of course - lacked the power she needed to destroy this outpost on their own own.

    Her spells unlashed she darts into the tower, taking cover from another potential beam from the priestess. She'd been right that they were the priority, and perhaps if the battle had swung differently they'd have been able to overwhelm her. Reflections could come later, however.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Shoor bonfire: (1d20)[4]+modifier DexSave vs 14 or take (1d8)[7] fire damage.

    Move: Step forward, cast her spells, then back into the tower, hopefully out of line of sight of Ilvara.
    Bonus Action:Telekinetic Shove on spider west of stool if still alive, otherwise Quaggoth? Unclear if Quaggoth would end up in the fire, but either way. (1d20)[13]+modifier Strength Save vs. DC14, if into bonfire, (1d20)[19]+modifier DexSave vs 14 or take (1d8)[5] fire damage.
    Action: Cast Magic Missile on Shoor. Dealing (1d4)[4]+3 *3=21 damage.
    Object Interaction: Grab Sarith's hand crossbow. Not leaving without it.
    Last edited by Amnestic; Yesterday at 10:36 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 6/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

    Borthan swam on, falling in behind those who got a better jumping position. This wasn't his first time swimming in a pool in the Underdark for his life, and it probably wouldn't be the last. He had done it with an unconscious body under one arm as well, but that had been business. And entirely more profitable than this swim time would be. For Vrek, anyway. That had been bounty number four of his ten for freedom, so Borthan got a hot meal and one tenth of owning his own hide. If he had more time to think, Borthan might have wondered who came out the better in that deal. But for now all he focused on was his breathing, his strokes, and a keen awareness of any acid pseudopod on his skin. When we get to shore, we wait for the others and then you all follow me! I don't know where we are, but I can find somewhere to regroup!
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Weaving the last of her magic, Faedryl sends it arcing across the bridge in a mage's simplest, most reliably spell. And it does its work. The spider on the ground is hurled up on top of Shoor as the missiles pound him into the ground, both falling onto the scorched earth.

    "Get him off of there before it scars!" Ilvara commands one of the two quaggoth, who grabs Shoor and drags him out of the fire, picking him up in a fireman carry. The priestess gazes across the bridge at Faedryl with death in her eyes as the younger drow ducks into cover. "Consider yourself fortunate your mother wants you alive, girl! It's the only thing keeping the skin on your bones!"

    The other quaggoth slashes savagely at Stool, leaving torn cuts along the myconid's soft fungal flesh.

    The Pool

    Shuushar reaches shore first, dragging Buppido up with him and checking to ensure the mad dwarf is still breathing - and he is, for better or worse. Not far behind him, Jimjar clambers up and loads his crossbow again, taking a look out into the water. The ooze, however, is a scavenger; a creature of lurking in wait. It crawls slowly over the water, easily outpaced by the more powerful limbs of the swimmers.

    "Wanna bet which one makes it to shore after you? I'd put ten gold on the drow lady," Jimjar asks, flicking a look down at Bothan.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Shoor fails his Dex save against Bonfire and retroactively takes 7 damage.
    Faedryl shoves Giant Spider into Shoor and the bonfire. It and Shoor split 4 damage between them for 2 each. The spider fails two death saves from the two damage instances, and dies.
    Faedryl casts Magic Missile, blasting Shoor three times for 21 damage, KO'ing him. Unfortunately it took all of them to KO, so no failed death saves from the onslaught.

    Quaggoth drags Shoor out of the Bonfire.
    Quaggoth claws Stool twice for 4 and 5 damage.

    Stool is up! Sarith must also make his first death save, at Disadvantage from the Poison.


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Grey Ooze
    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)
    Concentrating: --


    Eighth Day, Escape

    Sarith is utterly oblivious to the situation around him, as he inches ever closer to death.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Successes: 0
    Fails: 1

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 5/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Shillelagh (8 rds.)
    Concentration: -

    Slashes after slashes slice the small fungus to ribbons, revealing white fleshy innards that quickly turn blue. Stool squeals in a displeased manner as it retreats. The valiant myconid druid recoils and tumbles backwards down into the spider's net.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Disengage, then I assume I can move on the spider net normally?


  24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    Rolling backwards off of the ledge, Stool lands upon his feet and bounces across the webbing like a trampoline. The sticky material clings to his feet, but with his momentum he is able to bounce along onto one of the dead drow, its body serving as a safe little cradle upon which to take a break before the next stretch.

    The dwarf grabs Sarith from the bridge and hauls him back into the guard post, taking a position in relative cover and preparing to build up speed for a jump down into the water. Back on the bridge, Faedryl can see Ilvara perform a small cantrip aside to stabilize her boy toy's injuries, before starting to walk across after them. "Where do you intend to run, girl? Into caves and tunnels you don't know, with inferior beings you don't know and cannot trust? You should just give it up."

    The Pool

    Eldeth reaches the shore, followed close behind by an exhausted orc, who can barely drag himself onto the dismal grey beach. The rest wait tensely for their fellow prisoners still above and for their survivalist in the water.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Stool Disengages.

    Dworic grabs Sarith and carries him.

    Ilvara casts Spare the Dying on Shoor and starts crossing the bridge.

    Faedryl and Borthan can act!


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Grey Ooze
    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    [QUOTE=Amnestic;25046560]
    Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 13/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Create Bonfire

    Eighth Day, Escape

    Faedryl's as snotty as ever when she pokes her head around from the tower, and sees Ilvara a little too close for comfort. "Oh of course!" she mocks, her voice a clear imitation of Ilvara's own, "Just stay here where you'll be tortured and then executed, that's the much smarter option!" Her right hand musters the somatic components to resummon her flames. No need to worry about the bridge burning anymore. Her voice drops the imitation. No more joke, just scorn and direct derision. There was no need for an ornate threat or insult. "Honestly? You're really stupid." She steps out, finally combining the disparate runes into a single spellcasting circle once more and uttering the sealing word. Flames leap up beneath Ilvara's feet, but Faedryl is already gone, streaming out of the tower to leap over the webs towards the escape with the rest of them. As she plunges down she sees she's not got quite enough distance, and musters one final shove to send her careening over the edge, straight into the chill water below.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move: Step forward to cast Create Bonfire, retreat, jump from the bridge, Bonus Action Shove herself over the webs, and land in the water.
    Action: Create Bonfire under Ilvara's feet. (1d20)[8]+modifier Dexsave vs 14 or take (1d8)[5] fire damage. Also start work on setting the bridge on fire.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 6/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

    Borthan finally makes it to shore, which is where the hard work would start. He dragged the quaggoth onto the pebbly shore, breathing hard from the effort of the swim, and set to work using the 100 ft bundle of rope to make a makeshift harness that would help a bit to ease the strain of carrying the massive furball along the land. Bring Bupido over here, too. It'll be easier to carry the wounded if we rig em up a bit. Maybe even make a rope stretcher to carry em with two people. He set to work measuring, knotting, and cutting the rope. He had plenty of experience hauling unconscious bodies overland, either. Time for the others to learn quicklyOnce we get all the escapees we can on shore, we move. Quickly. And probably for a while. Hope you lot have been on a hike before, because this is about to be one helluva hike.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival to make rope stretchers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxyN...hannel=MCHorry
    (1d20+4)[22]
    The Bear is Back.

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    The Shrine

    The priestess recoils as the magical flames catch, flaring up from below and beginning to char and eat at the wood, mundane fire on the cusp of igniting. The priestess is left with flush skin, sweating heat, and an indignant glare as Faedryl takes her leap of faith.

    The Pool

    With a shrug of indifference when nobody is interested in taking his cavalier wager, Jimjar begins helping Borthan assemble a stretcher using part of his coil of lightweight silk rope. As they work, Shuushar looks up at the others preparing to make the leap. "Once the blubst of us is near, I can abwaken the fallen," he assures. Closing his eyes and folding webbed hands over his chest, the kuo-toa seems to enter meditation, soft drifting motes of light blue floating in the air around them.

    From above, Faedryl hurls herself over the webs and into the dark water below in a polar plunge.

    Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Faedryl casts Create Bonfire, burning Ilvara for 7 damage.
    Shuushar readies an action.
    Borthan and Jimjar create a rope stretcher.

    Stool may act!


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

    Drow Elites - 20

    Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Dr. Donk - 15

    Grey Ooze
    Quaggoth - 12

    Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

    Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

    Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

    Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

    Ront - 7

    Giant Spiders - 6

    Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

    Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 5/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Shillelagh (8 rds.)
    Concentration: -

    Stool moves west onto solid ground via the drow warrior's corpse.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I halfed my movement to 30 ft./6sq.

    Last edited by Spore; Today at 02:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •