New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 22/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Readied Create Bonfire

"Well that helps at least. We know where they're going - to go kill a bunch of Duergar slavers." Faedryl says, somewhat satisfied. "Steer clear of there and we avoid the demons. Let the dwarves and the abyssal monsters throw themselves at each other while we head in the opposite direction." In her mind, it made sense: They were barely a dozen, all told. Unlikely to make any difference against a "legion" of dretches. The town would stand or fall without them, and likewise so would the city. The smartest move to her is to do their best to avoid any further confrontations and head for the fish. She didn't much fancy trying to sell 'save the town' to the rest of the group, as she's rather sure Borthan will try. "Command the demon to tell us what their goal is after they've sacked Ghorlagh. Presumably they won't just go back to the Abyss once they're done." If they could make use of the demon's rampage to secure themselves an exit, so much the better.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 29/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14 Sanity:12
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    0 of 3 d10 HD.

"If the demon won't talk, do we really need to keep it alive?" Bort spits down on the creature.

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 26/26
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:

Derendil watched the mutilation of the demon by the... creature that served the addled woman with disgust open on his features, but he would not speak up in defense of this chaotic killing machine.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Putting on a haughty look that seems to irk the demon even further, Buppido motions Ront to allow it to open its mouth again. Speaking once more in the dark tongue of the Abyss, Buppido taunts and prods the hezrou. The demon roars at him and shouts something back, which Buppido waves off in annoyance. "It is only threatening to feast on our entrails now. I doubt I can coax anything else of use from this thing. Decapitate it at your leisure," he bids Borthan.

"If the priesst uniting the tribess can be sstricken down, maybe we can ssstop the invassion," the lisping voice of the trog mage posits. "There are thosse I have reached. Sssome might-"

"I don't see how this is even slightly our problem," Topsy cuts her off mid-sentence, one arm resting on the other and dagger twirling between her fingers. "We came out of curiosity, to see what the demons were here for and if it affected our plans. Now we know, and it doesn't. I'm with Faedryl, leave this problem to the duergar army." Fidgeting behind her, Turvy looks like he wants to speak up, but is cowed by his own lack of force.

"It is, however, my problem," Buppido states smoothly. "They are threatening my associates in the duergar territory. And I promise those who aid me will be greatly rewarded once I meet with those associates again."

"Then maybe it's come time that our goals don't all align. In which case I'm fine with parting on... okay terms," the surly gnomess states.

Ront and Shuushar look uncertain of which way they wish to go. To seek glory in battle, or settle for slaying one hulking demon? To stay and help others, or return home to his own people?

Jimjar is paying little attention to the discussion at all, now playing a game of solitaire with himself on the slave cart.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore
    Half-Elf Warlock | Lamp Blighter
    AC: 13 HP: 23/23| AC 13 HP: 9/12
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12 San: 7 (-1) | PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: fearful | Beast Speech
    Concentration: -

Looking at the gore before her not even dodging the discolored blood on her face, nor bothering to wipe it off, Nilvae calmly states: Then we are at an impasse. Splitting up seems even less smart now that we know there are several hordes of demons running amok. I would like to reach the surface again, and I would like to avoid demons if at all possible. She turns to Faedryl.

But you must agree that having a base of operations and some more supplies would help up, Faedryl. We know of no direct way to the surface, and as much as a yearn for the sun and moon, I am not getting myself killed in a short-sighted plan to reach the surface.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    Concentrating: Readied Create Bonfire

"We have a map." Faedryl gestures to the tube, 'generously' provided by the slaver. She'd wanted to hold off on dealing with that until they'd dealt with the demon to properly analyse it - and the wand had come first. "I'm not sure a duergar town about to be under siege is the ideal sanctuary, even if Borthan might be able to talk our way in."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    0 of 3 d10 HD.

Borthan ended the conversation with the demon by bringing down both his battle axes down on it's skull. He would repeat this process until the hezrou showed no further signs of animation. And then several more to be sure. He briefly considers chopping the corpse into bits, but one of his enterprising allies would just sell the pieces for profit. When that task was done, he considered the axes in his hands before speaking up. "Surface first. Then those of us who want this fight can come back to it. I owe more to this group than I owe the entire duergar species. So I'll see anyone here as close to home as reasonable, or wherever direction that is for you. But I'm coming back. Can't let the whole Underdark go under, or the surface will be next. No Underdark, no surface, no people. Besides, I'd be unemployed, and no one wants to see me with extra time on my hands. I'd definitely get out of shape." He grinned and wiped the demon juices off onto the corpse to punctuate the joke. "How's that work for ya'll?"

Prince Derendil
    Concentrating on:

Derendil didn't know whether his best chance for recovering his former form was to stay underground or head back to the surface. A thirst to go home battled with the shame of revealing his current form to anyone he knew. He decided he would journey towards the surface while he hunted and thought of anyone who could remove this curse, or whatever had changed him. He didn't voice this, but he did say "I will head for the surface as well. Then I will decide where I wish to go."
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #607

BlueKnightGuy

"I undersstand. I will get by and do asss I can," the trog cedes, lowering her head. "Thank you again, for your aid."

The final blows are dealt to the hezrou, causing its body to go still. There are no death throes as a mortal might experience, simply a cessation of function. Some parts of its body begin to lose their shape and melt away, but the bulky demon retains its form and materials better than its lesser 'kin', or the slime demons. Two tokens, the same kind that the slime demons produced, 'melt' out of its chest and slide down to the floor on a trail of demonic ichor. The terrible stench is no less nauseating in death, but mercifully begins to dissipate.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    2x Soul Coins obtained

"Then I am afraid this is where we must part ways, companions," Buppido says. The derro speaks politely, but without any affectionate emotion in his voice. "Your efforts to sustain me will not be forgotten," he assures, turning on his heel and beginning to walk down the path towards Ghorlagh.

Once he's out of earshot, Topsy openly declares, "I'll sleep easier with him gone."

Sensing it will soon be time to leave, the party begins packing their things and preparing to set out. The dretch prisoner still remains, the sloth-like demon lying in the growing puddle of ichor around the dead hezrou.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    Concentrating: --

It was unfortunate to lose some of their fighting strength, but overall her preference was for the gnome twins rather than Buppido. Although occasionally cowardly, perhaps, but they hadn't yet broken ranks or fled, and they'd gone along with the demon investigation which meant direct fighting of demons. She at least trusted them not to slit her throat in the night, even if they might abandon her if the going got tough - she couldn't say the same about Buppido. She traces the last letter of her prepared spell with a glimmering finger and completes the incantation, sealing the glyph that appears beneath the unconscious dretch, incinerating it from below.

"Well then." With her hand freed of the spell she retrieves the maptube from her belt and tosses it to Borthan. A gesture of conciliation, given that he'd made the decision to stay instead of helping the Duergar. "Lead on." While he consults the map, she sets about purging the rest of the corpses - demon and otherwise - with flame, lest they be raised against them in the future. She hasn't forgotten the drow zombies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Create Bonfiring the bodies. Added the 2x Soul Coin to the loot sheet. If any more appear, she'll take the time to grab those too.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #609

BlueKnightGuy

One by one, the bodies are reduced to smouldering piles upon the once-cold stone. Oily smoke fills the air, forcing those who desire to breathe freely to move away from the crossroads itself until the smoke gradually dissipates into the many slivers and holes leading up into higher places unknown.

The map case now in Borthan's hands contains two maps, as he expected. The first is a false map, designed to lead the reader astray. Contained in the lining of the tube is the true map. Upon it are marked several towns and cities, and a few places of interest. Most importantly, it details the currently in-use path to the surface. The map indicates several points within the Wormwrithings which can be used to access the surface, as well as a secret duergar route that bypasses Blingdenstone - through which one would normally reach the Wormwrithings by following the main tunnels.

Show
    Map in roll20 updated and brought up for perusal.

Spoiler: History or Nature: Wormwrithings
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 1
    Show
    That sounds pretty gross, are you sure you want to go there?

Spoiler: DC 8
    Show
    A section of the Underdark where Purple Worms gather during their mating season to procreate. During that season, the caverns and tunnels change dramatically, forcing it to be remapped every year. Old routes are closed off, and new routes open up.

Spoiler: DC 12, History Only
    Show
    The worms often visit the surface to hunt, creating pathways to the surface within the 'writhings. These caverns are frequently populated by northern orc, goblin and kobold tribes, making finding and maintaining a safe route to the surface a competition with those groups. The routes marked upon the duergar map may be guarded by the duergar, or otherwise hidden in some way, to avoid ambush and interference from the locals.

Spoiler: DC 16, Nature Only
    Show
    The next mating season for the Purple Worms will begin in roughly 60 days. Once it hits, travel within the 'writhings will be nearly impossible and forbiddingly dangerous. After it passes in another 30 days or so and the worms disperse, these mapped routes will be worthless.

Covering her mouth and rasping a small cough, Skriss approaches Borthan as the crew prepares to leave. She takes out a small wand made from slate-blue zurkhwood, polished to a fine finish. At its tip is a tiny sliver of obsidian. Holding it out in the palms of her hands, she offers it up. "Sssince we may not meet again, let thiss be repayment for your aid. It grantsss vigor to the usser."

Spoiler: Wand
    Show
    Borthan receives a Minor Wand of False Life. It holds up to 2 charges, and regains 1 charge per day. If the last charge is expended, it has a 50% chance to break.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-11-18 at 01:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    0 of 3 d10 HD.

Borthan doesn't even bother looking at the map inside the tube. He'd seen fictions meant to get the unaware reader killed enough to know it would be useless. He uses a knife to open the secret compartment in a smooth and practiced motion before unfolding the true map on the ground for all to see. "Everyone should take a look at this. Get lost in the Dark and your last look at a map might be your best chance."

Borthan accepts the wand, asking for instructions and learning the use of the item. It takes him longer than most to fully grasp the use of the item, but he is twice as thorough in practice to compensate. Once that is done, he thanks the troglodyte for the gift and wishes her well on her mission. "None of ya'll get killed. I'll be on my way back soon as can be."
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl peers at the map, taking it in for what it was - they clearly didn't want to continue the way they were going, since that would put them back on the path with the rampaging demons. "So..." She trails a delicate finger along the intended route as she speaks. "Back to the intersection we were at before, then north to the Kua-Toa settlement, ship across the lake to...Stilwater? And then on foot again to Wormwrithings to find our exit?" She phrases it as a question - Blingdenstone also seemed to be an option, after all, and she wasn't going to state one way or the other. Either path was easy to say, but in practice it represented...significant travel distance, not to mention potential complications on the way. Regardless of the path they chose though, they now had a concrete goal and a visible path to it, albeit one fraught with danger and risk.

She looks to Borthan first, but also the others. "Anyone got a guess on how long it will take? If we're going the full distance we might need to pick up supplies along the way, so it's better if we plan ahead."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

Logic was no use for this group. It was all about trust, about power and influence with them. Defeated, and honestly just a bit confused about the weird routing on the map, Nilvae sighs: Sure, whatever. Lead the way. She beckons her pet spider.

Ey, Alonsius! You like to stay in control of this form, right? Then see to it that we are not ambushed from weird angles. hoping her pet skitters forth. She goes over to her pet fey scrounging for eyeballs and pulls it over at its ear. Same for you, mister. Scout duty until otherwise noted. You take your commands from Bort.

Ow, OW, not the ears, lady! It plucks a fresh eye from its necklace. So you want me to keep an eye out? Hehehe.

13. - Top - End - #613

BlueKnightGuy

"Worm-writhings," to the surprise of some, perhaps, it's Ront who first speaks up on the subject. He walks over and peers at the map, squinting his eyes. He doesn't look like he can ready it very well, but he seems to recognize the name. "My tribe there sometimes. Caves made by the purple worms. We nomadic. Have to move in worm mating season."

With everything gathered, the group sets out back the way they came, towards the duergar checkpoint. It's a familiar route, letting them safely discuss things while they walk. With Eyegore scouting ahead and Mr. Spide lurking at the fringes keeping watch, they have constant eyes to both directions.

"Mbblm, do you know bwhen dis mading season is?" Shuushar gurgles, bringing up close to the rear.

Ront grunts, "Little over two moon turns before I fall. Maybe two now."

"Right, anybody know how to track days or months down here? Moon cycles?" Topsy speaks up. "Anyways, I would rather go through Blingdenstone. My brother and I were on our way to meet someone when we were snatched up. There's some business we need to wrap up, and I can make it worth your whiles if that helps."

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

A time limit complicated things in some ways, simplified them in others. It's not as if she had any real grasp of the distance between them and their destination(s), nor the time it might take to reach. It could be a week, could be three months, and time tracking wasn't exactly easy in the Underdark for travelers on the road. The fishmen would probably know better. "Either way we're heading to the Kua-Toa first. We might be at the mercy of whatever destination the ships already have." Still too many unknowns for sure. "But we can keep both options on the table. It doesn't hurt to have alternatives if we're held up." She didn't much care for or need 'rewards' on offer, unless they were a way out of the Underdark. Anything she needs on the surface she feels she can get once she's there - gold, lodgings, security. She was smart and powerful enough to acquire them (legitimately, even). All she needs is to get out.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #615

BlueKnightGuy

That 'Night'

With naught else to say, the group carries on walking. It's begun to feel as though they'd been walking forever, prompting a stop at the duergar checkpoint to rest. While the interior is still defiled with demonic ichor and dead dwarves, the checkpoint itself still offers a gate that closes and locks on one side of them, allowing some security and peace of mind.

Whether it is truly night or not, the long day of walking and fighting has left everyone more than ready to sleep. The crew's companions choose to remain in the tunnel itself rather than deal with the awful stench, the gnome twins volunteering to take first watch. The tunnel they had already just passed through proves to be scarce on anything worth eating, and they have to make do on scraps and leftovers, going to bed with rumbling bellies. Moss scraped from cave walls and the occasional lizard can only be stretched so far before one starts to feel it.

Show
    Long Rest achieved!

Anything you wish to do or discuss during a long rest, feel free to run alongside as we carry on.

The Next 'Day'

Once more on their feet, a return to the infested crossroads soon welcomes them. The slime still coats the walls and floor, and patches hang from the ceiling, where it has not been dried up or burned away by their previous efforts. But no demons, slime or otherwise, hamper them as they pass through. Over the bridge, they arrive on the other bank of the thin, powerful stream flowing below them.

Spoiler: Perception DC 22
    Show
    Lurking in the shadows of the crossroads, perched among the rocks that overlook the river and hidden among pieces of abandoned scaffolding, the silhouette of a drow man can just barely be made out.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

With the full recovery and the start of a new 'day' Faedryl feels more self-assured once more. Her full magical powers were returned, and she was once again ready for battle. With her drow eyes and armour, she takes a position near the front of the group - her spells worked just as well whether she cast them against those five or fifty feet away, so she may as well stand in the path of those who weren't as well armoured. Peering around the not-quite cleared crossroads, she grimaces at the slime that still remains. It would take too long to clear everything, and if they received nothing but lost time as recompense then it wasn't "their" problem. Still, she can't deny being quietly frustrated.

Show

Neither Faedryl nor Sarith hit the perception mark.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    2 of 3 d10 HD.

Night?
    Borthan takes the middle watch, trusting in sleep to numb his grumbling belly. This was not the first night he'd gone hungry, but it was the first time in a while. Since the cell, at least. Hunger was like an ol' friend, coming to visit. He smiled a bit despite the gnawing pain and got his rest.

Day?
    As they entered the cross roads, Borthan's eye's flicked around. He did not intend to be caught unaware in the puddle filled hell hole again. "Up there, by those rocks. Drow male. Can't tell if he's armed, but it's a safe bet."

Prince Derendil
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (8hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:

Day?
    "Where? I don't see anyone."
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    Concentrating: Dancing Lights

Faedryl hadn't seen anything, but it wouldn't hurt to humour Borthan's concern. It cost her nothing to verify after all. She traces a magic circle in front of her, careful not to look in the direction as best she could. Then she adds the words for Light. Play. Persist. before sealing the spell with a snap of her fingers. Four shining torches, each a small distance apart from one another, spring into life and light around the rocks Borthan had indicated, seeking to illuminate any would-be hiding drow - or other onlookers that there might be.

Show

Cast Dancing Lights, torches spread 10' apart from each other to light up as much as possible.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #619

BlueKnightGuy

Borthan's keen eyes pierce through the darkness to make out their lurking observer. With a swift invocation of her innate magic, Faedryl creates a series of shining lights surrounding the old scaffolding Borthan indicated, illuminating a surprised drow man squatting there. Upon being spotted, he swiftly takes initiative and leaps down from the scaffolding to the cave's lower crossing. Swiveling on his feet, he begins to sprint away.

Spoiler: Initiative DC 20
    Show
    Anyone who exceeds this Initiative can act before the drow scout begins fleeing. The rest will act after his turn.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

Nilvae rises somewhat altered by the previous days from her slumber. Puck did something - again. And she was different - again. She sighed. Sitting next to Borthan, but only because Faedryl wanted a bit of freedom, she jolted awake from her half-awake state. Where is the villain? I assume he is caught in a jelly cube! she shouts. Her words carry magical persuasiveness, and hit the ear of the invader and scout.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[4] psychic damage, and the target imagines being engulfed by an ooze. Rule as you want, but I assume loosing the int save means being stuck or slowed, and the "acid" deals its psychic damage.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    1 of 3 d10 HD.

Moving faster than his own mind, Borthan sprints after the fleeing drow and unleashes a torrent of hurled blades at his back, aiming for the legs in an attempt to slow or trip him.

Show
    Dread Ambusher bonus attack- (1d20+5)[11] to hit with a hand axe, (1d6+3)[6] damage plus (1d8)[1]. Regular attack- (1d20+5)[19] with another hand axe, this one at -1 damage from damnable slimes (1d6+2)[7]. Bonus action dagger throw- (1d20+5)[10] to hit and (1d4+3)[5] damage. (1d6)[6] if a hand axe crits, (1d4)[4] if dagger crits.
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #622

BlueKnightGuy

The spell begins to form around the drow, and he feels the gelatinous mass begin to slow him down. But he reacts with keen attention, flicking his eyes to his bowstring and focusing upon it. The string does not burn and snap in the acid. The mental clarity allows him to disbelieve the illusion and begin is sprint for safety. One of Borthan's axes clips him as he runs, but the drow picks up alarming speed across the dried slime coating the ground.

Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Nilvae casts Phantasmal Force, but the drow manages against odds to pass his save.
    Borthan hits with one of his handaxes, dealing 7 damage.

Drow Scout Double Dashes to put in distance.

The party is up to act again, and see if they can catch him.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    Concentrating: Dancing Lights

They - she - had been slow off the mark, and now he was running. Not this time. "Sarith!" She calls as she rushes forward, pushing him with her mind and will as she moves to keep up. Between the two of them they could close the distance eventually, but how long before he reached others? If he was a solo scout there might be more. They had to take him out as quickly as possible.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Faedryl Cart: Double Dash.
    Bonus Action: TK Shove Sarith 5' fowards so he's got a shot.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 23/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Concentrating:

The telekinetic push comes as a mild surprise but he lets it happen, allowing the momentum to spur him faster into a run. His crossbow is already loaded, a thick bolt ready to go. He was confident in his speed, even with the weight of the bulky weapon. He rounds the corner and snap aims at the retreating drow's back. Perhaps once he might have hesitated. He was abandoned by society for killing a drow, after all. But...his fingers pull the trigger, loosing the projectile from him.

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Dash.
    Move: Forward.
    Action: (1d20+8)[22](1d10+4)[10]

No Sneak Attack :(
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-12-03 at 05:36 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Prince Derendil
    Concentrating on:

Derendil rushes forward to see what the commotion is before realizing he'd best run backwards to catch sight of the target.

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    1 of 3 d10 HD.

Borthan slows to a trot to scoop up his thrown weapons and watched to drow go. Then he continued moving forward, now at a fast jog, not trying to keep pace with the drow but moving in the same direction.

Show
    Movement from Derendil and Bort. Bort dash actioned, but moved at half speed for the first 30 to also pick up his weapons. Derendil does a circle because he has not LOS to the drow.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #625

BlueKnightGuy

Borthan leaps down to the level below, pursuing the scout as he flees, but by the time he's caught up to the scout's last location the quarry has already hurled himself up the ladder. It is Sarith, propelled forward by Faedryl's shove, that finds a clear shot first. He raises his crossbow and with keen accuracy spears a bolt through the fleeing drow's back. The dark elf goes down, landing in a heap on the floor. A puddle of blood rapidly forms beneath him, death only staved off by the bolt occupying the space it punched through and preventing catastrophic bleeding. He will not last long without medical attention.

"That's probably one of Ilvara's goons. We should get out of here in case more aren't far behind," Topsy looks across the bridge, drawing the slingshot from her belt and getting a stone ready. "If we want to interrogate him, let's get the big orc to haul him out of here first. This crossroad is too exposed."

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"Interrogation would take too long." Faedryl notes. She doubts they'd have much of note to tell them anyway. "We should dispose of the body to avoid any more undead, and then move along, putting as much space between us and them as possible." While the others debate the merits of executing an injured person who was now their prisoner and would likely be killed regardless, she takes the time to look around, seeking any chokepoint she could use her wand on. If she simply modified the path to put five - or even fifteen, if they found an exceedingly narrow chokepoint - feet of stone in the drow's path, they would be severely hindered unless they too had magic to deploy.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

Nilvae shrugs as Eyegore flies up and gouges out his eyes finally. Eyes, tasty delicious fresh eyes. He "cleans" them by sucking them in his mouth, then adds them to his gruesome necklace.

Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 15 (bucket armor + pot lid) HP: 28/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: Symbiotic Entity (12 tHP)

Stool starts to approach the drow and tries a bit. Too fresh for Stool. Need to foul for a bit. he finally goes, a sad hum in his psychic notice showing the myconid was genuinely sad.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    1 of 3 d10 HD.

Borthan makes sure the job is finished, drawing his knife against the drow's throat in a stroke of finality. Then he pats down the dead drow's body when Eyegorr is done with it, looking for anything significant on his person or in his pockets and bags. Besides the eyes. Which only seemed to be important to Eyegore and the now deceased drow. "What do we do with his body? Don't seem like there are any quick and easy answers short of dismemberment, and then we'll probably just get a ghost that's pissed at us. Wouldn't be my first. Wailin' on and on about "Vennnngeeeaaannnceee! like they didn't bring it on them own stupid selves."

Prince Derendil
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (8hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:

Derendil notably looks away when the fey does it's work, sticking his tongue out in distaste. "Faedryl, perhaps some time on one of your bonfires would purge the corpse. Maybe a few words from Shushar to keep his spirit at rest?"
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

She balks a bit at the live extraction of eyes by Nilvae's disgusting beast. Such actions were painfully reminiscent of drow 'procedures', and that Nilvae seemed to not care about it was a concern. How long before the wretched creature came for her in the night? Not that Faedryl would be caught unawares, but she can't say the same for the rest of the group. To Derendil's suggestion though she agrees. Once Borthan has stripped the body of any items of note, she quietly draws up the symbol for her flames, calling them from beneath the body to incinerate it all. The stench was as it always was - the perverse mix of stomach-rumbling fat cooking with the knowledge that this was a man, not a meal.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #630

BlueKnightGuy

As his eyes are torn out, the drow man flinches and tries to pull away half-consciously even in his near-death state. Unable to do anything, he can only whimper through the ordeal.

About to open up his mouth to speak, Shuushar is stunned speechless. The kuo-toa chokes up and, for once, looks on the verge of anger. "Why bwould you allow that?" he demands of Nilvae, clutching his spear tightly - not out of any hostile intent, but to keep himself steady using it as a support. After Borthan puts the drow out of his misery, Shuu goes over to the drow's body, laying a piece of cloth over the man's bleeding eye sockets.

"You do nodt know who dhis mamn was. Whadt was done do him to make him obey, if he coulbd be turned from his path. Sudge crueldy is uncalled for." The fish-man bows his head in a moment of quiet prayer over the body, then stands and steps away for Faedryl to carry out the pyre.

The others are squeamish at the sight, but less bothered. Topsy glances at her brother, who looks slightly ill. "Could have at least put him down before letting the fairy do its thing, but it's not like we were letting him live regardless. We don't have time to 'turn' anyone right now."

Shuushar does not answer her rationalizations, simply walking back into his position in the column.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Borthan finds on the drow:
    -Lizard jerky (Chef Feat food granting 2 temp hp when eaten)
    -Longbow
    -Shortsword
    -2 doses of Drow Poison
    -Leather Armor
    -Unidentified Potion

The group moves on, leaving the crossroads behind. The tunnel leading north is about ten feet across, and only five feet high, forcing many of them to hunch over. Ront has the worst of it due to his considerable size; Derendil is spared any back pain only because is body is able to walk comfortably on two legs or on all fours.

Offshoot passages are more common here, twisting in other directions. More than once the navigators need to direct the group around holes in the ground. Some are patched with boards for safety, while others have had the boards removed and the hole covered by a thin cloth the color of stone - a cruel trap or jape to send travelers plummeting to whatever awaits below. Thanks to the two maps they possess, they are able to avoid being turned off of the established route to Sloobludop.

On the second day of their journey, the passage becomes brighter, filled with an ambient light that hums in the air, tickling their skin like the crawling of thousands of buzzing fruit flies. Faerzress. Those among them with a strong enough connection to the Weave can feel a deep unease, a pit forming in their stomach as they pass through. A terrible headache assaults Faedryl in particular.

Spoiler: Faedryl
    Show
    This migraine is brutal, like her skull is trying to split in two. Auras dance, painful colors staining her vision. Sometimes she thinks she can see creeping cracks forming in the stone, as if the entire corridor is going to fall away like shattered glass into that terrible dark void from her prison nightmare, only for them to be gone when she blinks. Her skin feels clammy and cold.

Faedryl faces a DC 10 Sanity check to keep herself together, and a DC 10 Con save to avoid vomiting and taking 2d6 psychic damage from the headache's physical symptoms.

According to the map, they are coming up upon a crossroads soon. They could take a shorter route marked as the 'Silken Paths' or go around, taking them over to the main road between Sloobludop and Menzoberranzan.

Spoiler: History: Silken Paths
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 10
    Show
    This is a term for a vast cavernous area. There are massive pillars of stone connected by huge spiderwebs, and the entire place is a hotspot of giant spider activity. Traversing it is difficult for those without the means to cross the webs, such as duergar kavalrachni (spider riders).

Spoiler: DC 12
    Show
    Rumors say that guides have taken up business at the Silken Paths, offering travelers aid in crossing them for a price.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    Far beneath the canopies of webbing is the 'bottom floor' of the cavern, where it is said an ancient Netheril tomb plummeted from the sky and into a ravine. Adventurers sometimes descend seeking magical treasure, only to plummet themselves in the descent, be preyed upon by the spiders that call the cavern home, or disappear - perhaps consumed by the tomb itself. A few return alive, having failed to claim its bounty.