New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

Nilvae | Eye-Gore
    Half-Elf Warlock | Lamp Blighter
    AC: 15 HP: 29/29| AC 13 HP: 0/12
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12 San: 7 (-1) | PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Beast Speech
    Concentration: -

I wanted to keep him out of this, but how you put it we might just need his aid. Nilvae concedes the point.
    [

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 28/28
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11 (10)
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

"If Shuushar or his 'master' want to be involved we shouldn't exclude them, but we don't need to invite them to participate in any actual execution - just offer any information they might have." Faedryl ruminates. "I'm happy to make the trek, though I don't think we all need to turn up on his doorstep, if you'd rather pursue other avenues in the meantime." There was still the matter of the ship - would they wait for us? And the...vendor for soulcoins mentioned before. Faedryl still was less than enthusiastic about such trades, but she still didn't feel right enforcing any such decisions on the group.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 17 HP:37/37
    0 Temp HP
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14 Sanity:12
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 of 4 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st

Borthan recovers quickly to being snubbed, looking glum for a moment before perking back up at the mention of soul coins. "I'll take the demon money to the magic shop if that's on the agenda. I can't promise everyone something new and shiny, but I think I can prioritize what would be practical for us against what would be flashy or fantastic."
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

Seeing Borthan fumble to no end socially amuses Nilvae to great end. She approaches him and circles him like a farmer would a newly acquired farm animal. He was visually pleasing, but his confidence needed work. She sighs, leaning onto his shoulders. Stick to your guns, Bort. You're a bad liar, you know it. If I wanted some intimacy with you, it would certainly not in this group. She turns over. No offense, Faedryl. My joke about your kind was misplaced, and I am sorry for that. We are all elves here, more or less, like it or not. Any fumbling could lead to a surprise, and I am not talking a drow arrow sticking out of our necks. Nilvae signals her stomach.

Waving away Bort's concerns. The most important thing is Shuushar having to show me how a Kuo-Toa priestess behaves. I cannot learn to be one in a day, but certain queues are very helpful. I can convince many creatures to follow my words, but fish men are new, and alien. I say we visit the shopkeep, Faedryl. The men will contact Shuushar. He is likely to help us and not be duplicious. Something I cannot say for sure about the shopkeep.

Plus it is helpful to someone who knows what the heck their spells are doing. Well, at least my master decided I can heal wounds today.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

She hadn't expected her irritation to show, but it didn't really matter. "Your apology is accepted, but I'm still going to see Shuushar regardless - I've got my own reasons to see his 'master'. They won't interfere with this mad plan of assassination you've conjured, if that's a concern, but I do need to speak to him." She didn't really want to give away too much but if someone else was there the line of questioning would reveal it soon enough, assuming the Master didn't take the conversation private.

Faedryl lets a frown crease her forehead that Sarith was still, apparently asleep, and reaches out with her mind to lightly shove him in the arm from across the room. "Wake up Sarith, you're needed. Once you've had breakfast, go help Borthan with the shopping. Two pairs of eyes are better than one." She dusts herself off and stands. "Best we leave Jimjar to sleep in; if we take him with us he'll probably try to gamble away our lives, and at least this way we have someone 'watching' the rooms."

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Phantom Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 29/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

He'd been listening to the entire, boring, conversation, so when the shove comes he's already wide awake and needs no catchup, not that he wants to indicate that. His annoyance at being ordered, and his willingness to obey, was clear when he simply utters "Fine," in response, like a disgruntled child being told they could not have a sweet treat. At least this way he was more likely to trade one of the soul coins for something to his benefit, like a new crossbow.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 of 4 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st

"C'mon, Sarith. Now we can go spend all the soul coins on weapons and candy while the girls talk to the fish. I'll snag Biggun. He can make sure the magic at least LOOKS powerful on anything we buy." Borthan ushers the drow manservant to follow him. He wonders wryly if he could command Sarith to carry all the bags, then smirks as he imagines issuing the command.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mid Room

Throughout the playful banter and day plans, Jimjar slumbers peacefully on the floor. Or maybe he's just a better faker than Sarith, who can say? Either way, he is left to 'watch' the inn for the party as they split up to see to their tasks.

There should at least be no worry of the Black Manta leaving without them. Beyond the worry of becoming fugitives from yet another town. It intends to depart after the festival, and their quest (should they choose to accept it) is to hijack that very festival for Puck's questionably benevolent purposes.

Top Room

At Derendil's verbal riposte, Ront grunts and opens his mouth to respond, then stops and closes it, chewing on his improvised toothpick and cracking the wood between his teeth. When he cannot come up with a witty retort, he just huffs out a puff of hot air and exits the room. He avoids looking down as he climbs into the rope ladder and descends into town, wherever it is he plans to go from there.

"Not bad," walking over to the opposite side of her brother, Topsy leans against the wall and peers over his seated position at Derendil. "The festival food plan sounds like a fine idea too. I've still got some personal spending money, what about you?"

Shortly into their discussion, they are interrupted by Borthan's arrival as he requests the 'Biggun' to aid him in appraising some magic items. "Go ahead, I'll pick you something up," Turvy offers the quaggoth prince in his usual reserved voice, managing a shy smile. "You can pay us back another time," his sister adds with a smirk, splitting up from Borthan's party at the base level of the inn.

Marv's Mystical Masterpieces - Borthan, Sarith, Derendil

At the doorstep of the mysterious shop, mucky mud transitions to black and white tile steps leading to the glass door. It is covered in old posters and papers in languages none of them recognize. Some are wanted posters of bizarre alien creatures, others likenesses of human musicians performing on stage, yet others look like advertisements for food. Through and between the translucent pages dim light shines from incense candles and oil lamps illuminating the interior. The door swings in, letting out a haze of perfume and herbal aromas.

The inside floor is wood, creaking as they step inside. Some exotic rugs decorate the floor in patterns as eclectic as the goods and curiosities on display. Objects and tomes of mysterious origins line wooden shelves and glass display cases. To the right of the door, nestled in a corner, is a tall black rectangle with a glass windowed door, which feels cold to the touch and contains rows of strange flasks and potions.

Behind a central counter of display cases, a smiling elf-like creature stands. His eyes are narrow, dark slits ringed by wrinkles that look incorrect on an elven face. His skin is pale like snow. Dressed up in a dark purple suit, and a black tie. His face splits into a too wide smile as the trio of customers step inside and with a smooth motion of his hand he plucks some pamphlets off of the counter, tossing them into the air.

Like leaves on the wind, they dance and twirl, somehow each finding its way to the open hand or under the foot of one of the three men. The pamphlet lists exchange rates, as well as services the shop offers.

Spoiler: Marv's Mystical Pamphlet
    Show
    Exchange Rates
    All exchange rates are for the purposes of purchasing power, or for the purposes of exchanging your soul tokens for local currency. Marv's Mystical Masterpieces does not sell souls. Customers wishing to willingly exchange rights to their immortal soul for goods or services will continue to exercise use of their soul until such a time as they are dead for a duration of 10 days without being resurrected. At such a point in time, their soul will be claimed and extracted from its intended afterlife.
    (Individuals wishing to resurrect an already claimed soul must pay a resurrection fee of 10 Soul Tokens; payable in equivalent converted local currency)

1 Soul Token = 5000 gold pieces
    1 Willing Evil Soul = 10 Soul Tokens
    1 Willing Neutral Soul = 25 Soul Tokens
    1 Willing Good Soul = 50 Soul Tokens

Services

Marv's Warlock Sponsorship Package = 10 Soul Tokens
    -A sponsorship with one of our partner companies will grant the customer one (1) sponsored Warlock Level. Those who have already formed a pact with another extraplanar entity may still select the sponsorship package; Marv's Mystical Masterpieces will cover costs to sever and annul their previous pact. Customer is guaranteed to suffer no repercussions from a scorned patron, or their money back (in local currency).

Cursed Item Removal Service = 1 Soul Token
    -Your friendly salesman Marv will remove a cursed item of your choice from attunement.
    Upgrade Package: Curse Removal = +9 Soul Tokens
    -Marv will instead purge the cursed qualities from the item, allowing its safe use.

Resurrection = 10 Soul Tokens
    -Your friendly salesman Marv will resurrect one individual who has died in a time frame not exceeding 10 days past. Dead body of individual required.
    Upgrade Package: Impossible Resurrection = +40 Soul Tokens
    -Chosen individual may have been dead for a time exceeding 10 days. The individual may be undead, and may have had its soul captured or destroyed. The individual need not be present.

Summon Marv's Mystical Masterpieces = One living planar Outsider, sacrificed in summoning circle detailed below (all resulting Soul Tokens will be claimed by your friendly salesman Marv)
    -Rest assured, Marv's Mystical Masterpieces will do our best to be present in any major civilized location when required by customers. A customer wishing to shop from elsewhere may conjure a door to the establishment at their location, for convenient shopping on the go.

Marv's Mystical Membership Card = 10 Soul Tokens
    -Member will receive a 10% discount on all products and services of Marv's Mystical Masterpieces. Excess value from a willingly offered soul of a member will be retained as Soul Token credit on their store account. Member may Summon Marv's Mystical Masterpieces once per month at no summoning cost.

The display cases and shelves list names and prices for each available item.

Spoiler: Potion Cooler
    Show
    POWERTHIRST = 5 Soul Tokens
    (A shiny metallic can in a variety of flavors)

Giga Potion = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A viking horn filled with a blood red liquid that smells of alcohol; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Flask of Unliquor = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A silver hip flask; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Balm of Midas = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A deep black balm inside of a clear disc-shaped container; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Potion of Expanded Thought = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A hollowed opal containing a clear liquid, the interior surface is swirling with steam; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Tea of Revelation = 10 Soul Tokens
    (An ancient rusty teapot with cracks and holes in it, containing a mercury-like silver liquid that somehow does not run out of the gaps; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Potion of Floral Crown = 10 Soul Tokens
    (Held in the hollowed fang of a wyvern, which is rimed with frost; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Potion of Eusocial Valor = 10 Soul Tokens
    (An oily purple liquid held in a transparent, giant wasp-like abdomen, the stinger repurposed into a drinking straw; warning label cautions not to drink more than one in a single mortal life)

Spoiler: Bookshelf
    Show
    Scrolls
    Scroll of Dream Eater = 5 Soul Tokens
    Scroll of Insidious Confidence = 5 Soul Tokens
    Scroll of Lorem Ipsum's Cheat Death = 5 Soul Tokens
    Scroll of Contingency = 3 Soul Tokens
    Scroll of Permanency = 10 Soul Tokens

Books and Tomes
    Universal Translation Guide, by Grazilaxx = 1 Soul Token
    The Skald's Journal = 10 Soul Tokens
    The Duelist's Notebook = 10 Soul Tokens
    The Book of Names = 10 Soul Tokens
    Thraxil axun Llithxe - Vol. 1 = 20 Soul Tokens
    Lorem Ipsum's Grimoire of Questionable Spells = 25 Soul Tokens
    Elminster's Daily Scroll Subscription Service = 50 Soul Tokens

Spoiler: Weapon Rack
    Show
    Trident of Riptide = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A royal looking trident made out of coral and whalebone)

Blood Dagger = 20 Soul Tokens
    (This drow-styled dagger is made out of black metal, with semi-organic veins running through its blade)

Scorn = 30 Soul Tokens
    (A single, brutal hunk of metal hewn into the rough shape of a longsword and infused with a pearlescent mithril-like metal, this weapon is at once elegant and hideous. It is covered in the scars and marks of many battles)

The Crowbar = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A crowbar with a red grip)

The 9-Barreled Shotgun = 70 Soul Tokens
    (A firearm bearing nine barrels in a square pattern. The barrels are intricately carved, depicting the howling souls of the damned, demons and devils fighting one another, and innocents being torn apart in the crossfire. The fine wooden stock is stained with blood that never seems to wash off, and the trigger finger is slick with fresh red blood. The weapon glows dimly, as if the metal were glinting in unseen firelight)

Spoiler: Mannequins
    Show
    Robe of the Apprentice Magi = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A simple green cloth robe with a brown shawl)

Fairweather T-5000 Breastplate = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A strange breastplate made out of what appears to be white porcelain)

Personal Shield Generator = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A shiny metal apparatus worn on the arm or belt)

Horrid Necktie = 10 Soul Tokens
    (A tasteless necktie in a garish splatter of uncoordinated colors)

Monster Tooth Necklace = 20 Soul Tokens
    (This necklace is made out teeth from a variety of exotic monsters)

Mask of El Excavador = 50 Soul Tokens
    (This stretchy cloth mask is a deep blue, with a jagged band of red around the head at eye level, and a ring of yellow encircling each eye hole. It bears one hole for each eye, as well as a hole for the nose and the mouth)

Teeth of Saint Thomas = 25 Soul Tokens
    (A necklace of sixteen human teeth)

Padlock of Transference = 20 Soul Tokens
    (This green, corroded copper padlock is attached to a steel chain, wrapped around the mannequin's midsection like a bandolier)

Spoiler: Curio Case
    Show
    Tough Times = 15 Soul Tokens
    (A worn out teddy bear with stuffing coming loose in places. A folded note is held in the bear’s tiny hands: “Don’t forget, hon. I’m coming home soon. Stay strong.” The bear refuses to let go of the note. Please don’t take it away)

The All or Nothing Coin = 25 Soul Tokens
    (A bronze coin with a glyph of a trophy on one side, and nothing on the other)

The Elucidation Die = 15 Soul Tokens
    (This small six-sided die is made out of iridescent jade. Symbols adorn each side: Lips, Eye, Crosshairs, Ear, Hand, and Nothing)

The Skeleton Key = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A key made out of charred bone)

The King's Tablecloth = 20 Soul Tokens
    (A white silk tablecloth)

Black Nail of Judgement = 75 Soul Tokens
    (This ancient, black carpenter’s nail produces an aura of unease)

The Beach Hut - Faedryl, Nilvae, Eyegore, Mr. Spide

Not long after stepping beyond the walls, the trio are rejoined by a creeping set of eight legs appearing as if from nowhere. Faedryl can now see a tophat and monocle floating on and in front of the spider's face, as if they were drawn upon reality by a set of colored sketching pencils. Raising a leg to tip the hat, the spider dips his head towards Faedryl and speaks, "Mr. Spide. Pleased to properly make your acquaintance at last."

A short walk from the town gates, they find Shuushar and his master sitting on the dock next to their hut, talking. Shuushar is facing inland and notices as they approach, standing and greeting them with an uncertain wave. The two kuo-toa walk to meet them where the wooden dock meets the drab Underdark sand.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-07-24 at 05:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl doesn't exactly have the best relationship with spiders anymore, but she at least manages a polite, noncommittal "Charmed," to Mr. Spide. She still finds the entire thing bizarre, but beggars cannot be choosers, and she is certainly a beggar in a number of ways.

When they arrive at Shuushar's, with the requested provisions, she nudges Nilvae forwards. Assassinating the high priestess was her idea after all; the Society talk could wait. Best to get them started on the right foot: Trying to murder a religious leader.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

Sarith glances down at the pamphlet's prices with a weary feeling, noting that most of the items on offer were distinctly outside of the meager amount of soul coins they had procured, and that unless they had a number of willing good souls to trade away into hellish servitude they were unlikely to purchase anything of real note, which was a shame. He didn't know what, exactly, this "Shotgun" with 9 barrels was or how it worked, but he nevertheless decided that he wanted it. Stealing from a place like this was likely not simple however, even for one of his immense skill. His recent tumblings on the beach had a least humbled him somewhat in that regard.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

At Marv's:
    Nilvae decides to leave the shopping crew in the "care" of Eyegore, even if to simply show Marvin that Puck sent them. The tiny fey offers the company card over. It rummages in the potion cooler. What kind of potion seller has nothing with EYES in it? What does this crap do anyways?

At Shuushar's:
    Nilvae giggles as Mr Spide tries to engage in polite conversation with Faedryl but is shut down by single word answers by the Drow mage every time. Excuse him, Faedryl. He just recently got his ability to speak back. He was once a proper person. I don't even wanna know what happened. I assume he did eat something fey. Never eat anything fey. Nilvae pauses. Damn, I should have told the other guys not to eat or drink anything from Marv.

As they arrive at Shuushar's house once more, Nilvae expects the drow to open with a very dry and direct conversation, but that fell onto her this time. Uncomfortably she shuffles forward. Shuushar? Mister Shuushar's master? I have come for questions. Regarding your faith. We have noticed the deity in this town has recently changed. What do you know about this? Because this feels very bizarre, and I have some information that makes me think the demons will not attack but devour your society if we do not stop this. Nilvae tries to smile but quickly ready the - well lake shore and takes things a bit more seriously. There will be a feast celebrating the rise of a new deity and the instigation of its new high priestess. And I wonder. What happened to the old faith? What did you believe in just weeks ago? What the hell is happening here? Towards the end, the half-elf gets increasingly louder and angrier, but manages to calm herself. I do not know your master, Shuushar, but I know and trust you. So tell me please: Is this place serving demons?
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-07-27 at 07:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 of 4 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st

Borthan looked eagerly around at the various magic items, not bothering to read the pamphlet at first, but his excited smile rapidly turned into a distinct frown. "Godsdamn, I thought we had a lot of these darn soul coins, and now we can't afford jack!" He slams a fist on the counter and turns angrily to the smiling shop keep. "What's the deal here, man? We slayed... slew... slaw... we killed a ton of demons and we barely have enough for tea! These prices are outrageous!"

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 32/32
    0 Temp HP
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:
    HD:1/1 D12, 3/3 D6
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st, 2/2 2nd

Derendil, ignoring Borthan's outburst, looks over the pamphlet in his hands, eyes going wide and hair going on end. He had his doubts about a place that would accept such coins, but his worst fears were reinforced almost immediately by the fact that someone could sell their soul for these coins. He put a clawed hand on Borthan's shoulder and squeezed. "Don't mind my friend, shopkeep. He's not used to civilized discourse." The quaggoth wizard leaned into Sarith and Borthan and whispers "We should leave. NOW."
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

Sarith blinks once, then twice. Confused. What was the urgency? Was this some sort of non-drow social faux pas? Did he care? Not really. Since they couldn't buy the shotgun that enticed him so he didn't really see much of a need to stick around. His interest had been concluded, so he wasn't going to make a point of staying around if the others wanted to leave. Maybe they'd be able to afford things next time. Or maybe they'd toss the coins off a bridge. He didn't really care. Still not really understanding why Derendil wanted to leave, he nevertheless agrees. "Very well."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #912

BlueKnightGuy

Marv's Mystical Masterpieces - Borthan, Sarith, Derendil, Eyegore

Slipping around the counter, Marv puts a genial arm around Borthan's shoulders and pulls him away from Derendil. "Come on Jack, don't be like that. It's a little expensive but no need to be pensive, our quality is the best! Besides. We're the capitol of capital and I have to say, we'd be awful remiss to dismiss a customer so displeased. So just for you: a proof, a test! Anything you like come give 'er a whirl," reaching out, he opens a side door and reveals a vast room. A firing range where a long desk separates an area just inside the door from a long corridor lined with stationary and moving targets. To their left is another side room visible through a glass partition with training dummies set up.

"If you like it, I can offer a special deal to ease your coffers. I'm not kiddin' ye, I'll trade ya for a kidney!" he leans in and playfully jabs a finger into Borthan's side. "You've got two, no need to be shrewd, only a one's all you need. Indeed, one little kidney and you'll receive fifty percent off your first purchase! And of course don't forget, your annoying little gnat who keeps unsorting my product," his voice briefly darkens as he glances back in Eyegore's direction with a look of disgust, "Has a membership card!" Just as quickly, the dip in his mood is gone and Marv is all smiles again. "Ten plus fifty - that makes sixty - less than half the price! Can't beat that now can you Jack, so whaddaya say?" With a pat on the back, he snaps his fingers and the weapons from in the store teleport into the firing range and training area, arranged on the desk and on weapon racks for testing them out.

"Chemical enhancements!" a second Marv emerges from behind the potion cooler, answering Eyegore and using an arm to wave over the selection, "More permanent than enchantments, last your whole life or our money back guarantee (in local currency)." Tapping his foot, he sweeps past each of them in turn.

First he motions to the cans of POWERTHIRST. "These here aren't your average beer, see just one sip gives you all the zip you need, guaranteed, three days straight your pillow'll be a widow. Now in terms of permanent these ones aren't, so take home a few, a dozen, you want more time - who doesn't? Sleeping's great but you'd hate to be late when you've got important stuff to do!"

"This one makes you strong like a bomb," he indicates the Giga Potion, then moves down to the Unliquor, "But if your game's not brawn, here's your pick lickety split, to be a real slick trick deckin' sonuva-" switching over mid-sentence to censor what follows, he indicates the Midas Balm. "brick of gold, that's what you'll behold, just lather it on and watch it dawn. With real metal action!" he karate chops his arm, leaving a dent in it, then hammers the dent back out.

Moving on to the next shelf he continues, motioning to the potion of Expand Thought and Tea of Revelation in turn, "These are good for the mind, whatever the kind. You can be the guy holding answers high, or maybe questions are more your attention? Either way give 'em a chug, curl up that smooth little cranium slug," his grin stretches wider, the toothy mouth becoming momentarily too large for Marv's face as he taps a finger on Eyegore's head.

"This one makes you pretty," he holds up the potion of Floral Crown. "I know it's kind of shallow, but you're quite an ugly fellow, so maybe it'll help with the ladies! And right below, this'll give you a formian glow," he bends down to put the potion back and point to the potion of Eusocial Valor next to it. "You like eyes, try a hundred! World looks a lot different if you ever wondered, so give it a gander, give it a sip, but don't forget to pay for it!" The salesman adds, his voice dimming for only a moment.

The Beach Hut - Faedryl, Nilvae, Mr. Spide

"And what is a 'proper' person?" Mr. Spide asks in a drawl that makes it hard to tell whether he is actually offender or merely being sardonic out of habit. "I'll have you know, spider I once and always have been."

Mr. Shuushar's Master chuckles and bows his head, introducing himself. His dialect is a little less sloshy and grating than that of other kuo-toa, but he cannot fully escape the natural lisp of his mouth when speaking the common tongues. "I am Sloopidoop. Sloop will do jusht fine, mn."

"De chandge in leadership id new, bud not unusual," Shuushar answers as Nilvae shares her questions and concerns, pausing as he tries to find the best way to explain it. "Usually, only da priesdt or priestdess changes wid Blibdoolpoolp staying de goddess but da teashings change, bud sometimes a new god is worshiped or made up. Never lasdt very long."

"The timing of thish new god wash troubling for me, myself and colleagues are aware of and shtudying several demon lords arriving in the Underdark, and the caush," turning to face the Darklake, Sloop folds his hands behind his back and stares out at the waters with a troubled expression. "The old priesht is kept alive for now but under house arrest, because he is the prieshtesh' father. Ushually he would have been killed to cement the new rule."

"We - my peoble bloo not normally worship demons," shaking his head emphatically, Shuushar raises his hands.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"And everyone is fine with these changes? It has widespread support?" Faedryl asks. Undermining or killing someone unpopular tended to be simpler than one who enjoyed the love of their flock. "I admit a knowledge gap here - why is she your leader if she's then going to uproot your core religion and replace it with, well, demons?" It didn't make sense to her. If a Matron Mother attempted to supplant Lolth with another goddess, they'd be eaten, flayed, killed, then resurrected to do it all again. Why would the Kua-Toa accept such a change? It seems to Faedryl they worship less a god and more whomever is the priest(ess) of the day.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 of 4 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st

"My kidney? That's a laugh." Borthan chuckles, then when the offer continues his brow knits in concern. "Wait, you're serious? Hells no, I'm not selling my godsdamn kidney for some magical super junk! What if some enemy gets a lucky shot and takes one out! I need a back up if I'm going to be able to drink mushroom hooch! Biggun' is right, let's get out of here!" Borthan made it halfway to the door with Derendil's clawed hand on his shoulder before turning around. "But I'll be back! I'm gonna kill a million demons, come back here and buy your whole shop! And have enough left over to pay you to sell all the stuff at a REASONABLE mark-up!"

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 32/32
    0 Temp HP
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:
    HD:1/1 D12, 3/3 D6
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st, 2/2 2nd

Derendil rolls his eyes at Borthan's claim and more firmly steers him towards the door. "Thank you, I'm sure when we secure more soul coins we'll be back to browse again!"
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

At Marv's:
    Figured. Picking the two most boring people on the team to go fey shopping. By Puck's checkered underwear. Eyegore flaps towards the merchant and is met with a hostile glare. I must excuse ourselves for being so damn borish. Those two wouldn't know options if they kicked them in the face. The dark sees himself pulling a flask from the shelf, but a golden thread around the creature's neckt tightens. It strangles the disgusting gremlin and makes its own eyes almost pop out. Eyegore sighs and submits to the will of the golden leash.

At Shuushar's:
    I mean they are aquatic creatures. Sometimes you have to accept the current when you are unable to fight it. But if her father lives, she might simply be unable to kill him, out of sentimental reasons, or due to something more arcane. Maybe the demons require a sacrifice of her own flesh to seal their pact. Say, Shloop, do you know where he is kept? Turning to Faedryl, Nilvae interjects before the drow can protest. Hells yes, this means I want to try and save him.

16. - Top - End - #916

BlueKnightGuy

Marv's Mystical Masterpieces - Borthan, Sarith, Derendil, Eyegore

The friendly salesman makes no further moves to prevent them from leaving, each of them offering a polite bow. There is a glint in his eye as Eyegore considers shoplifting, but Puck's leash puts an end to that foolish notion.

Soon their group steps back out of the ominous shop and into the bustling, fish-smelling streets of Sloobludop. With no other pressing tasks until the others return, they are left to their own devices.

The Beach Hut - Faedryl, Nilvae, Mr. Spide

Sloop smiles knowingly at Faedryl's befuddlement. "Ish really bisharre, ish it not? But have you ever wondered, why our people are sho feared yet have not shimply dreamed up a god to be, shay, 'god of killing all drow' and repeaded the prochesh for all of their enemiess?" Raising his arms, he places webbed fingers on either side of his temples. "They have incredible zeal, but it ish ash shcattered ash their unfocused mindss. They will find someshing fashionating, and begin to worship it like a god, forgetting their previouss obshession. If it findsh a big enough following, a revolution followsh as beliefss clash."

"Ib dey came across dis demon lord, peoble would bu-be so awed dey would follow de imagination of whoever is most charismadic abubout whad it is or whad it means." Folding his hands. Shuush closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. "Masder and I have learned to calm our racing thoudts bloo meditation, and tame de madness for clarity. We wish do teach odders of our kind how to harness deir minds so dat dis vicious cycle can end."

"Wiss no madnesh behind it, our belief can shtill manifesht sheudo-divine magic or fuel shionicsh. But we can no longer dream up true godsh any more than you could wiss a cult following," the elder toa adds. He faces Nilvae to answer her own questions, running a pair of fingers along the catfish like whiskers on his face. "Mmb. I think it wash familiar shentiment that shtayed her hand. I could be wrong. Alash, I do not know where he ish being held. I have been exiled for trying to shpread our heretical clarity, few will shpeak to me and I am not permitted to enter."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-08-03 at 01:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"Of course you do." Faedry says wearily to Nilvae, dismissing the (in her opinion) misplaced heroism with a wave of the hand. "So if the Kua-Toa follow whatever new belief crosses their path, this demon-worship may be replaced. Perhaps, say, by a fey lord who wants a pack of fanatical worshippers all to themself?" She didn't particularly want to grant any fey an additional powerbase, but they were - at least in this very specific situation - probably better than demons. Probably. It seemed to her to be the only reason Nilvae's patron would deign to bother with this entire thing in the first place. Always looking out for number one.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

The drow hardly considers the air of the kua-toa village 'clean' but at least it wasn't the cloying air of a pushy salesman. "Well, that was fruitless." He drawls, his tone flat. Absent of criticism, absent of judgement, because he couldn't find itself in him to care. But now he was stuck with nothing else to do, their one activity for the 'day' squandered. "What now? Kill that slaver captain? Scout the Priestess woman?" He didn't care. He just didn't want to stand still and dither.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 of 4 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st

"Let's head back and meet up with the others before we go knockin' anyone off or preparing for an assassination." Borthan waves for the others to follow, then starts towards the beach and the fishy allies.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

You have not understood fey, have you? Well, you are in good company, I have neither. But I doubt my master is even interested in these people but entertainment. Still, the possibility is there, but if the source of my powers increases, so do mine. Is that not a goal worth pursuing? Plus, we do weaken the demonic threat in our wake. I don't know how you feel about being pulled underwater by two dozen manta ray demon clerics, but I don't fancy a wet grave on our traversal of the Darklake. Nilvae's voice is devoid of fun, almost fearful. As my master put it. We do this or we meet an early demise.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Nilvae was still assuming that the fey lord, someone who was by nature a trickster, was telling her the truth. This seemed rather silly to Faedryl, but arguing about that seemed sillier still. Neither of them had any evidence one way or the other, and so it would entirely come down to how they felt - while that argument might be enlightening in its own way, it also promised to take time that she did not wish to spend. In short, she moves on.

"Do you know anything about the Priestess' schedule? Her comings and goings? If we're going to remove her, ideally it would be when she was most vulnerable - unarmed, unarmoured, unguarded." It seemed unlikely there would be such a time, but she had to ask.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #921

BlueKnightGuy

The Beach Hut

The idea of a fey lord having a hand in these dealings causes Shuushar to frown, but Sloop remains thoughtful. "Hishtorically, the fey are no friendsh to demonkind. What did dish fey lord ashk of you, young lady, preshishely?" he inquires, motioning them to follow him inside of his humble abode. The interior of the hut is little more than some loose rugs laid out over the bare sand, surrounded by crude wooden walls and a ceiling made out of layers of dried seaweed laid over stretched eelskin leather. Storage consists of wooden footlockers, and the beds are little more than ratty pillows upon the rugs. The sand, at least, is soft beneath the covering.

"You aren'dt combsidering going along width dis, Master?" stepping in behind the older toa, Shuush takes a seat next to what is presumably his sleeping spot. "We wanded to free our people, nod lenbd them to anoblber tyrandt."

"I am only ashking, Shuushar. Be calm," the master takes a seat as well, laying his hands in his lap. "Awakening will take time. Right now, our people fashe danger from thiss demon threat. As it shtands, we can do little for our people from the ssidelinesh, no?" The reasoning seems to sway Shuushar from his opposition, and he settles down to listen.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

My command was to remove the priestess, pose as her using this potion. she holds aloft the magical concoction. to teach the people that humanoid sacrifices are not the way forward. I have to convince them the Deep Father is a good aligned deity, and your common faith will transform this new deity. Nilvae scratches her chin as if wearing an invisible goatee. I have never heard of collective faith altering reality. I know sorcerers and mages and priests using the Weave, I know of my kind altering the world with borrowed power. But never have I heard of the common folk altering a god.

As a side note, my master never said to kill the priestess.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"He didn't need to say it." Faedryl notes. "Unless you want to keep her locked up in a jail forever - she wouldn't be allowed to return, after all, or she'd undo the work. And since we don't have anywhere to keep a kua-toa priestess fed and watered in perpetuity..." She shrugs. Death was the only realistic answer.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore

Nilvae giggles. You act like I am not aligned with a fey lord, Faedryl. There are other fates in store with them, and some are quite fun, even if it is usually a somewhat chaotic sense of it.

Think, Lady Melad. You deal with demons, magic and treachery. I deal with chaos and natural forces. Truth be told, my master rescued me from an arranged marriage. My fianceé vanished into the fey realm, but I am pretty sure he is not dead. I command a Lolth-sworn spider that wanted out.
    Nilvae sideeyes Mr Spide. Okay, not command, but I am allied to one. There are other fates for her. Maybe she is turned into a guppy and kept in a crystal fish bowl. Maybe her memory is wiped and she is released again. The half-elf notices some of the fates are actually worse. She sighs. I might concede some of these fates may be worse than death. BUT: I am not sure ending up in the Abyss is better than some non infinite time in the fey realm.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

"That's a lot of 'maybe'." Faedryl bristles. "Try to remember that it's not just you who's on the hook, you've dragged others into this ridiculous 'plan', if it could even be called that. Take that seriously." She was, of course, primarily talking about herself - but if others were lost on this fey-venture, it would make their underdark escape that much harder. "Maybe the fey will contain them for you. Or maybe they'll decide it's funnier if they don't and watch us scrabble as your 'plan' falls apart. What a funny jape! What a lark!" She throws up her hands in frustration. It seems to her that Nilvae is practically allergic to anything other than barreling forwards and simply hoping it all worked out.

She gives up, and turns back to the kua-toa. "Anything else useful you can tell us? Maps, numbers of guards, patrol patterns, anything that would help us gain access to carry this out?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #926

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    "I command a L-.
    "-oogh-owahn iagder-" as she tries to speak the forbidden name, Nilvae suddenly feels a little lighter, and an absence renders her words a mess of clumsy oo-ing syllables. The inside of her mouth hangs a hollow cavity now, her tongue suddenly vanished. A muted clicking laugh comes from Mr. Spide as he watches her fumble with her suddenly awkward mouth.

The fishmen look up in surprise, and Sloop stands up, reciting a small incantation and passing his hand over his eyes, which glow a dim blue after his hand passes. He examines Nilvae, peering at the stub of her missing tongue. "Ah, some short of cursh. Transhmutation it sheemsh." He glances over at Faedryl. "She sherves a fey lord? Perhapsh it ish a prank...?"

"A lark alrighd," Shuushar murmurs. "No goobd combls of surrendering condrol to higher blpowers."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-08-13 at 04:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

She'd like to be smug, she'd like to laugh, or mock, or simply enjoy the pleasure of an 'I told you so' but - ever practical - a tongueless Nilvae posed a problem. She stands and gives the half-elf an examination of her own. "I've been doing research on curse-breaking but I fear it's still early days, I don't have the capacity to break whatever this is yet, and likely won't for some time." There's a slightly bitter edge to her words, directed at herself. Not that her conditions were ideal for arcane study, exactly, but perhaps if she'd focused her efforts elsewhere she'd have it on hand. She thought she'd have time, since it was the Soul Coins she was focused on and they weren't going anywhere, but if Nilvae's patron was acting up then maybe she needed to accelerate the process.

"Is there anything you can do?" She asks Shuushar's master. "I...we'd rather not wait for it to fix itself naturally, if it could be helped." She doesn't disagree with Shuushar's assessment, but neither does she express agreement - rubbing salt into Nilvae's tongueless wounds wouldn't help.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore
    AC: 15 HP: 29/29| AC 13 HP: 12/12

Nilvae is exasperated and silenced. Her shock drops after a minute or two of amused, then concerned Faedryl. She shakes her head violently, asking for some form to write on. She scratches some words onto the trampled ground, some wax tablet or another form of writing. Do not worry. Puck is not that shortsighted. She pauses and shakes her head in disbelief. I hope. she adds and sighs.

29. - Top - End - #929

BlueKnightGuy

"This is sdill beblond me as well," Shuushar admits, with a sigh. He leans over to glance at what Nilvae writes into the sandy ground.

"It would be rather foolish to have an infiltrator with no tongue," the master fish points out in agreement with Nilvae. "Shimply wait out the fey lord'sh dishpleasure, I exshpect would be best. Trying to subvert shuch a prank would only anger him more... now," finally addressing Faedryl's question, he turns and peers at the back wall of the hut - or more likely at something beyond it. "The new leader ish shtill young, of age and regime. Cementing her power. If she heard that the old shtatue of Blibdoolpoolp wash repaired and being worshiped by a counter-cult, she would go pershonally to correct it. But thiss would be done under guard, not alone."

When it comes to assassination and kidnapping, Shuushar does not seem to have any suggestions. Whether tacit disapproval or lack of knowledge on the subject is unclear; the answer is likely both.

As they discuss within, Borthan leads the others out onto the beach. The door to the fish hut is ajar, and voices can be heard from within.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae | Eye-Gore
    AC: 15 HP: 29/29| AC 13 HP: 12/12

Oh snap. I can feel her irritation and confusion. Something happened. Eyegore focusses its mind on the mental state of its master and quickly snaps back. They are already discussing the details. So far we have little to go on. As they enter the hut, Eyegore perches onto an elevated position. I thought you are a priest, Shuushar? With all your healing, and your nonviolence donkey crap. Not murdering those who murder you is some dumb crap only someone serving a god could come up with. Eyegore smiles. It was so easy to antagonize a pacifist. What are they gonna do? Hit you?
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-08-19 at 06:02 AM.