Nilvae and Mr Spide
    Half-Elf Witch | Sentient Spider Cleric
    AC: 13 HP: 32/32 MP: 45/45 | AC: 14 HP: 37/37 MP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 11 PIs: 14 San: 13 (+1) | PP: 10 PIv: 15 PIs: 10 San 14
    Spell Slots, 3rd: 2/2 |
    Sorcery Points: 4/4
    Conditions: -
    Concentration:

The half-elf shrugs at the question with a smile, but Faedryl is pretty sure the is just doing that in order not to agitate Galdar and to give him a proper reason to report his findings. A speaking sword, huh? Sorry for leaving so suddenly.

Galdar Bloodskull
    Duergar 'Psion'
    AC: 19 HP: 38/38 MP: 39/39
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 14
    Spell Slots, 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 2/2
    Conditions: Telepathic Bond (Nilvae), Soothsayer (helped)
    Concentration: -

At least the lass has the proper idea to let the adults to the talking. Truth be told we need help. I'm a capable psion and a warrior at heart but these things are vile. We need trickery, magic and a plan. Golems made of acidic toxic wax patrol any forward lying areas of the hives. The actual bees are further down, but they are fast, they are venomous. Paralytic venom. I don't really care the venom, but we have to do something against the constant acid on the ground lest you want to return barefoot on bloody stumps. Personally I say hovering, flight, burning the acid away are our options. Well, we don't have enough spiders, but at least two can ride Charlotte and Spide over there. Smaller ones can be pocketed. I see two plans. A covert operation retrieving the items, or a brutal and well organized onslaught. Take my ancestor's battle plans. Funnel them into a tunnel and slaughter them one by one.

Last edited by Spore; 2023-10-05 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34 MP: 31/31
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating:--

"Our job calls for extermination or eviction. If we want to get paid - and I do - then we're going to have to butcher every last one until they decide to turn stinger and flee. I presume these bees have some sort of queen or other hivemaster. Killing them will hopefully break the hive's spirits, but they're also probably the most heavily guarded." She sighs. Acid floors. Wonderful. Maybe she shouldn't have sold her sister's shoes after all. One thing at a time.

"I can burn the floors bit by bit. Or freeze them. Or cover them with dirt, if we have a lot of dirt, and even more time, but I expect only the first of those will be any actual use here." She didn't really want to spend her entire day playing construction worker for a bunch of loose dirt to cover the acid - especially if the acid just burned through the dirt anyway.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 43/43
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 12 Sanity: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    The heavily armored small gnomeish figure, sensing a lull in the conversation between old friends, speaks up for the first time. His voice is pleasantly neutral, but is almost inhumanly consistent. "Greetings, Nilvae, Spide?, and Galdar Bloodskull." He looks at each as they are named, although appears a little confused about Spide's identity. "I am the Automated Library Analysis Dynamo of Independent Nature, or ALADIN. Perhaps we might pool our information about the bees? You mentioned that you were a part of a research team. Were they able to share any additional information about the odd behavior of the Apidae Faerze? Or any weaknesses that these altered bees might possess? In our encounter with them earlier, they seemed to be vulnerable to lightning, but it also arced back to the source, which was not ideal. Alternatively, might you be able to provide a map, or other relevant information which we could use to form the basis of a plan?"

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 51/51
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11 Sanity: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Looking rather green, and continuing to glare at ALADIN, the small(For an orc), heavily armored orc with a skull gauntlet on one hand(The other was holding a shield), and the hilt of a sword dangling from a chain near his wrist joins the introductions. "Ront."

Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara
    Moon Elf Dhampir Cleric 5
    AC: 20 HP: 41/41 +0 THP PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    MP: 40/40 Sanity: +3
    Initiative: +2 (Advantage and +1d8)
    HD: 5/5d8, Conditions: none
    Channel Divinity 1/1 SR + 1/1 LR
    Vampiric Bite: 3/3 LR
    Vigilant Blessing: self
    Eyes of the Night: 1/1 LR

Elara doesn't have many ideas on how to get to the bees.

"I could heal everyone as we go, hopefully Selune's light would protect our feet from any acid. I don't know about any shoes though. And I can only sustain it a brief time."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 11 HP: 33/33 +0 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    MP: 30/30 MD: 4/4d12 Sanity: -1
    Initiative: +6
    HD: 3/5d6, Conditions: none
    Portents: 5, 10

Turvy has an idea though. He speaks to Aladin, who he has come to trust from their work together on Aladin's construction projects.

"Perhaps we could use the water-spewing chest to fill their tunnels and flush them out."

He then sits down to recast water breathing in order to grant its benefits to the newcomers and their spiders.

Show
    Casts water breathing as a ritual.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Duergar? Never have I heard that word before," the sword's disembodied voice radiates through the area. "Nor have I ever troubled myself with what lay beneath the soil. The clouds and the stars exceed this dingy mushroom farm in magnificence. No matter, trouble me no more with threats duergar-dwarf. Bold Ront is a warrior, and shall brook no insult to his blade. Is it not so?" the Dawnbringer declares haughtily.

Running her tongue over her incisors, Topsy - still on the ship - taps on the wooden railing. "An excellent idea, brother. All we would need is someone who can fly, naturally or with magic. Or someone adept to climbing. Get above the hive, then pour water inside and flood out the occupants into our waiting ambush."

Spoiler: Perrception DC 16, Disadvantage if on the beach
    Show
    Topsy's upper incisors seem to have grown larger since you last happened to notice them, like those of a rodent.

"I remember bees," Dawnbringer speaks again. "Adorable fuzzy little things. Nothing resembling these dire, oozing monsters you describe. Yet I should think they share similarities in their regimented structure. If one understands their foe's behavior, one can predict it, and find a weakness!"

"And what would be a bee's weakness?"

"Wh- well. I know not - I am no bee-ologist."

Making a small shrug of her shoulders, Topsy adds, "I know one behavior we can predict. We should make sure to leave a capable guard here, in case one of their patrols finds the ship again."

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae and Mr Spide
    AC: 13 HP: 32/32 MP: 45/45 | AC: 14 HP: 37/37 MP: 34/34
    Conditions: -
    Concentration:

A map, huh? Galdar, pry my mind and check if I forgot some details here. Nilvae says kneeling down. She starts a small ritual moving sticks and stones, mostly to get a more precise drawing in the dirt. Lines carve in the mud, that is when Spide interrupts. What about the third dimension? This lair is not flat! he adds, and Nilvae suddenly surges with inspiration and a few seconds later there is a small to-scale model of the hive.

There you go. It can even be pulled apart to check the layers. she says proudly.

I should be able to climb atop and use your chest, if you modify it to be able to opened without hands. Spide concludes.

Dr Donk just stares on stupidly.
    Galdar Bloodskull
    Duergar 'Psion'
    Conditions: Telepathic Bond (Nilvae), Soothsayer (helped)

Impressive lass. Galdar's praise seemt genuine. I can add a cantrip that moves earth if need be. For moats and to redirect the water flow.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Spore; 2023-10-05 at 03:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 17 HP:45/45
    29/29 MP
    8 Temp HP
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14 Sanity:12
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 2/2 2nd

Borthan gives Nilvae a prodigious slap on the back when she rejoins the group, then extends a hand out to Galdar, seeking a duergar handshake meant to both greet and check for weapons. "Seems we have a pretty good plan coming together already. Flush the tunnels, take it to the queen of the bees, and get paid not once but twice. All sound moves in my mind."
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #1448

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN nods at Borthan's words. "It does seem that way. From our prior encounter with them, they may be vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons. Other such creatures are known to be resistant to slashing and piercing weapons, but vulnerable to bludgeoning. However, they did not appear to be resistant to our weapons in the past combat. Lightning is very effective against them, however, it also harms the attacker quite a bit. I would not recommend utilizing it. They are also fairly venomous, and are able to sting you. And leave the stinger in. I am uncertain as to whether the Trove will be capable of providing sufficient water to drown them out, as well as whether their hive will be sturdy enough to allow for it's employment." As always, the gnome's words are that same neutral, but soothing tone, showing no signs of emotion as he recites his information in a mechanical fashion.

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    As Ront struggles to parse the ongoing conversation, he nods along.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara

Elara looks at the maps but doesn't have much of a plan. Planning has never been her strong suit. She's normally more about hiding and running away, waiting for the opportunity to strike back. The others have seen her climb on walls, but the newcomers have not, so she explains her possible contribution in that regard.

"I could climb down from above. Or climb up and throw a rope down to everyone."

Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 11 HP: 33/33 +0 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    HD: 3/5d6, Conditions: none

After he finishes his ritual, Turvy looks again at the maps.

"That entrance is too big to plug shut. But I still think we need to attack from above. We could use the water to wash away the acid. And I doubt all the levels have stairs for humanioids, when the bees can just fly."

Show

10. - Top - End - #1450

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN nods. "If we are able to ascend to the top of the ravine, we may be able to use Mr. Grump to make our own entrance into the hive, and avoid any ambushes that they might be able to set. However, bees are noted for not being happy when someone attacks their home. It might be wiser to try ambushing any bees we can find outside the hive before we make our attack. In our previous conflicts, they appeared to lack any significant ranged capabilities, which reduces their threat level considerably. It would be rather frustrating to fight something that can fly out of range and throw things at us. I can use the Poppet to carry the Trove, and it should be able to direct the spray without absorbing all of my attention."

He pauses, before looking to the sword. "Do you think you can remain dark while we attempt to sneak up on a hive full of demonic bees?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #1451

BlueKnightGuy

The Climb

"Will we be... carrying any light source?" the sword asks ALADIN, hesitantly. Still very much afraid of the dark, it would seem.

Whatever their answer to the Dawnbringer, the party sets out up the beach. To their fortune, it seems the bees must have lost track of their fled captives, for they do not encounter the patrol while on the difficult to climb sandy slope. Each mushroom is sturdy, with strong roots, allowing for handholds on the way up.

Borthan, with his expertise, leads the party into the mountainous terrain. One of the pillars of earth stretching into the sky is surrounded by sloped trails, the remnants of rivers and streams that once flowed down from above into the nearby lake and bay. Long run dry for hundreds of years, whatever surface water source or underground spring once fed into them, but the water's path remains - carved into the stone over several mortal lifetimes. Now and then the party must take to rugged walls to climb to a new path, but they draw closer and closer to the island's looming plateaus.

Spoiler: Athletics
    Show
    Those with a climbing speed (Galdar on his steeder mount, Elara and Spide) may provide Help to another party member in the climb, and do not need to roll.

Spoiler: Less than 1
    Show
    The character suffers a catastrophic fall during the climb. They take 3d10 falling damage and must roll to try again.

Spoiler: 2-5
    Show
    The character suffers a painful fall during the climb. They take 2d10 falling damage and must roll to try again.

Spoiler: 6-10
    Show
    It's rough going, but the character manages to make the climb. They take 2d4 slashing damage to their hands and limbs from the sharp rocks, and 1 level of Exhaustion.

Spoiler: 11-14
    Show
    While able to make the climb up, the character is tuckered out and receives 1 level of Exhaustion.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    The character makes the climb without much difficulty.

Upon one of the undermountain trails halfway through their ascent, after the better part of the day hiking the trails, the party spots life. Illuminated by a few light purple mushrooms on the mountain's wall, two wrinkly giant mole rats sniff along the cliff face, munching on some rock moss that they scrape off with their large teeth. When they sense the party's approach with their keen ears, they squeal and flee into tunnels in the rock wall.

It's not just the mushrooms that gleam, either. The very air glimmers with ambient magic, a pink buzz that hums in the air. The hair on their necks and arms stand on end, and their stomachs feel uneasy. A vertigo from more than just the looming abyss of black that stretches beyond any of their darkvision range to their right, where the riverbed's cliff falls away. Though that certainly does not help.

Spoiler: Nature: Giant Mole Rats
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 5
    Show
    These rodents have grown to unusual size, and their wrinkly skin looks dry and leathery. They must be wildlife mutated by faerzress, like the bees.

Spoiler: DC 10
    Show
    Descended from Feywild beasts or animals touched by fey influence, dire beasts like these are much larger and more intelligent than their normal counterparts and tend to be more aggressive. Their claws and teeth are nothing to scoff at, particularly this species, armed with implements that can carve stone.

Mole rats have poor eyesight, but a keen sense of hearing and the ability to detect vibrations in the air and earth around them. They can burrow in the earth, but the stone around here is too thick for them to burrow through swiftly; they need time to carve their tunnels.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    Dire mole rats live in small familial colonies, usually between a dozen and a score. The colony is lead by a matron, the largest female in the colony who cares for the pups. They are markedly less aggressive than most dire beasts, but are fiercely protective of their dens and vicious when cornered. They are omnivores, usually eating fungi and smaller animals down here in the underdark, but they are capable of taking down larger prey when cooperating as a pack.

The thick, leathery skin of the dire mole rats hangs off of them in loose wrinkles that make them difficult to cut with bladed weaponry, and their clotting capabilities are remarkable. However, their bodies possess a keen sense of space and movement, as well as sensitive ears; all this leaves them vulnerable to sonic assault.

Spoiler: Nature: Cave, DC 15; Stonecunning applies
    Show
    There is a white glimmer in the wall of the cavern the giant rodents are using as a den that stands out. It looks like an ore vein, either of silver or mithril. While the party may not have the time to establish a mining operation, prospecting this location for samples and selling the information to someone who does could be profitable.

Spoiler: Arcana: Faerzress, DC 15
    Show
    Those with a connection to the Weave feel it rippling and swaying here, shuddering and twitching with this chaotic energy that pulses through the air. Any attempt to use magic in this area has the potential to misfire or produce an unpredictable surge of wild magic.

Spoiler: Borthan
    Show
    It feels wrong, this hum in the air. Something under his skin, or something... between his skin, and the meat underneath. Like the sinews and tissues that bind his parts together are quivering, moving, uneasy beneath the surface. A sensation of nausea and heartburn assaults Borthan's throat. Sometimes it feels as it a large clawed hand is grabbing at his chest, nails digging into his neck and torso. When it does, the burn almost starts to feel pleasant...

Borthan must make a DC 14 Constitution save or suffer 1 level of Exhaustion.
    Borthan must also make a DC 14 Sanity save or receive 2d6 psychic damage. A successful save negates the damage entirely.

Spoiler: Faedryl
    Show
    Her head is pounding with a migraine headache. Colors bleed at the edges of her vision, and there are times when it feels like her skull could split open. It started when they entered the faerzress. Faedryl feels an unsettlingly familiar sensation, like a clawed hand on her shoulder, something from her unintentional dreamwalking. Sometimes she can see it in the corner of her eye, but then it's gone. When it does, she finds herself oddly soothed by the pounding at her temples.

Faedryl must make a DC 11 Constitution save or suffer 1 level of Exhaustion.
    Faedryl must also make a DC 11 Sanity save or receive 2d6 psychic damage. A successful save negates the damage entirely.

Spoiler: Nilvae
    Show
    It's hard to stay quiet. Her fingers twitch, reaching for something. Her chest heaves with nervous energy, and she finds herself giggling sometimes, even experiencing fits that make it hard to breathe when she tries to contain them. There's a strange feeling of something rubbing her back whenever she fights down these fits, and the skin of her back feels a little raw.

Nilvae must make a DC 11 Constitution save or suffer 1 level of Exhaustion.
    Nilvae must also make a DC 11 Sanity save or receive 2d6 psychic damage. A successful save negates the damage entirely.

The Ship

Remaining at the Black Manta, Sarith stands guard upon the deck alongside Topsy, who scans the distant vistas of the island slops and the waters behind them with her telescoping darkglass. Stool lingers belowdeck in the comfortable darkness, and the fishmen mill around anxiously. They don't like sitting here in the open. Sarith overhears the two marauders griping and mumbling to themselves that they deserve a cut of the profits from the pirate bounties, and this bee hunt.

"I see something," Topsy says beside him, in a wary tone. "I think there's another ship moving into the bay. There's a red glow trailing behind them... Think it's the orc pirates from the cove and their crystal-ship." the gnome lowers her spyglass and sneers. "Lanterns out," she orders the kuo-toa, who begin covering or snuffing the lights, dousing them in dark. But the light from the beach shrooms still provides a backdrop. "Not exactly in a good hiding spot out here. We might want to prepare for trouble."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2023-10-09 at 09:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara

Elara climbs easily up the rock. She makes sure to help Turvy since Topsy isn't here to look after him. when they get to the cave, she's not sure what the large rats are, but she notices the large vein in the back of the room.

"That looks like an ore vein, either of silver or mithril. Prospecting this location for samples and selling the information to someone who can mine it could be profitable."

She also feels the strange sensation in the air. She's experienced this before. She feels the Weave rippling and swaying here, shuddering and twitching with this chaotic energy that pulses through the air. She knows what this means and warns the others.

"Do you feel that? I've seen it before. Any attempt to use magic in this area has the potential to misfire or produce an unpredictable surge of wild magic."

Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 33/33 +0 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    HD: 3/5d6, Conditions: mage armor, exhaustion 1
    Spell Slots, 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 2/2

Turvy struggles to make it up the slope. He falls a few times, but never anything serious, and cuts his hands and arms on the roots. At the top, as he tries to catch his breath, he sees the giant rats but misses the ore vein and the disturbance in the Weave.

"Dire Mole Rats. Descended from Feywild beasts or animals touched by fey influence, dire beasts like these are much larger and more intelligent than their normal counterparts and tend to be more aggressive. Their claws and teeth are nothing to scoff at, particularly this species, armed with implements that can carve stone.

Mole rats have poor eyesight, but a keen sense of hearing and the ability to detect vibrations in the air and earth around them. They can burrow in the earth, but the stone around here is too thick for them to burrow through swiftly; they need time to carve their tunnels."

He turns to Elara, "We can get a sample later, if we survive the bees. Let's leave these mole rats alone and keep going for now."

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-10-13 at 05:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 20/34 MP: 24/31
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)

Faedryl's attempts at climbing go about as well as one might expect for a bookish wizard who spent the last seven decades living in a library. Only stubbornness has her continue climbing, right into a splitting migraine. "Please. Stop. Talking."

She should have stayed on the ship. Stupid climb. Stupid migraine. Stupid wild magic.

Show

Faedryl failed her climb (0) - 7 damage taken, then succeeded (12) so gained one level of exhaustion.
    Made her consave vs. further exhaustion. Failed her sanity save, took 7 psychic+MP damage.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Phantom Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 40/40 MP: 22/22
    PP: 16 PIv: 11 PIs: 10
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

"If they get close, we should tell them our group already went in with all the treasure," Sarith suggests cruelly. "Left us with nothing but the ship, that we heard fighting and screaming but they haven't come out yet. Play weak and have them throw themselves at the insects. Why spend our efforts on them when they can kill themselves for us?"

He isn't afraid of orcs, pirate or otherwise, and his bow hand twitches, eager to kill...but leading them all to an early grave is too amusing a prospect to give up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #1454

GreenSorcererElf

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Ront looks at the sword dubiously as it expresses a fear of the dark, and an unwillingness to be reasonable about things, before he follows Borthan along the climb, using his muscles to heave his heavy equipment up without issue, and generally following along silently.

Show

(Rolled a 16)

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    ALADIN shakes his head at the sword's question. "We won't be. Without light, we can hope to avoid enemy notice until we're in a position to attack them. With it, we will be visible from a long way off, allowing them to prepare an ambush. It should not be long, and it is likely that you will be able to see lights in the distance." ALADIN's attempt to calm the sword completed, he turns his attention to the journey ahead, as he had long struggled with walking over uneven surfaces.

Luckily, as it turns out, climbing is not walking, and ALADIN has no problems handling the challenging climb, with the poppet somehow following along behind. Reaching one of the trails, ALADIN sees the mole rats in the distance, and starts to mentally search through the indicies of his books. As he finds the Denizens of the Underdark, revision 3, and locates the entry on Mole Rats, he finds that Elara and Turvy have beaten him to the identification. Still, he does have information worth adding, and he speaks up. "Dire mole rats are usually less aggressive than other dire creatures, so if we can keep clear of their tunnel, they will probably leave us alone, especially if we can demonstrate that we are just moving through. Their skin is also well adapted to resist cutting weapons, and they are very good at clotting their wounds, to prevent blood loss. We can expect somewhere between twelve and twenty, including a matron, a larger female. They likely eat the mushrooms, which means that they might have some magical abilities as well. Sound based attacks are likely to be highly effective against them, but also would risk alerting the bees. Perhaps we can just go around? If we come back through here, collecting prospecting information about the ore could be valuable."
    Show

Rolled a 21 on the climb.

Last edited by Archmage1; 2023-10-10 at 03:23 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 17 HP:44/45
    22/29 MP
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.

Borthan continued up the slope, wondering if a night of beer and debauchery had put his muscles in a bad mood for some reason. He felt out of breath by the time they reached the upper slopes.

That's when the real crazy stuff started.

Borthan gripped at his chest, feeling the crawling underneath his skin, the burning sensation like pleasant flames incinerating him alive, and he began to fall back towards the rear of the group. "More demon nonsense, no doubt. Stay alert, everyone, I think our bees might have some abyssal company."

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 39/39
    34/34 MP
    10 Temp HP
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:
    HD:1/1 D12, 3/3 D6
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd

Derendil continued his way up the slope, taking in the sights of this bleak and blasted island as he marched. It would almost be scenic if it wasn't for the corruption, mole rats, and homicidal bees.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #1456

BlueKnightGuy

Pre-Climb

Snagging one of the long, slippery eels from the depths, Borthan hauls it up onto deck and wrestles it in order to test out ALADIN's new toy. The slithery fish-thing is bled of its reddish-brown (leaning more brownish) arterial fluids into the bowl of the cup, looking suitably ****ty to match the object's entire countenance. Each of the salt crystals around its circumference begins to glow dimply, sputtering now and then.

"I wish my allies and I were protected from the effects of the acid found within the nearby Apidae Faerza nest," ALADIN declares aloud. With a brighter glare, the cup immediately begins to spew a puffy white powder from its well, flying into the air in a violent column and then showering down on everyone like fresh powdered snow. It smells vaguely pleasant and doesn't taste toxic. Where it falls off of the ship and settles into the water, it melts and disappears into the dark surface.

After it sprays a large volume of powder for about half a minute, the lights on the cup's body flicker and fizzle out one by one. The eruption stops as suddenly as it began.

Spoiler: Alchemy
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 5
    Show
    The powder does not appear to do anything particularly useful, and spending their time gathering it seems wasteful..

Spoiler: DC 12
    Show
    When applied to acid samples, this powder neutralizes the mixture. It seems to be alkaline in nature, and mild enough not to cause alkaline burns. Because of the way it erupted violently, collecting enough of the substance to be useful is difficult, but ALADIN thinks it could be used to lessen the severity of acid burns or even to coat the bees and their waxen constructs to make them safer to touch.

Though he is not aware of its name and is free to call the strange substance whatever he likes, ALADIN is able to gather 1 flask's worth of baking soda, plus 1 flask for every 5 by which he beats the DC 12 Alchemy check. A flask can coat an item or pair of shoes to temporarily protect them from acid damage, though it is unlikely to last for more than one attack or a round or two of combat, respectively. Someone coated in the powder takes 2d4 less acid damage from the next source, to a minimum of 1. Coating an enemy in the powder prevents up to 2d4 acid contact damage from that enemy for 2 rounds.

If an acidic slime is splatted with the baking soda, it takes 2d4 poison damage, bypassing Resistance, and is treated as though it were also coated in the substance.

The Climb

While the promise of gold is tempting, the party opts to mark down this spot on their map and move on for now - the mole rats and their potential future mine can wait until the bees here are exterminated. Marching on, they find the second segment of their journey comes easier, the ancient rivertrails never becoming too steep or rough before they reach the plateau.

A guttural voice in orcish rumbles from Ront's side, the first time their magic sword has spoken aloud.

Spoiler: Orcish
    Show
    "This glimmer in the air would be pleasant if it did not feel like it were trying to flay me alive of skin that I do not have." Her words sound unusually poetic in the brute orcish tongue, like an orc making fun of a gold-toting word-spewer from a human city. It seems as though the dim light cast by the magic glow in the air is enough to stem the sword's fear, but like the mage-folk she is experiencing discomfort.

As they are about to reach a spot where they can climb out of the riverbed and cross the bank onto the great underground plateau, several of them give the signal to pause - Faedryl, ALADIN and Borthan have noticed a suspicious pile of boulders atop a cliff ahead. If the stones where to come loose, they would tumble down onto the path and bowl over anyone unfortunate enough to be in their way. It seems like a likely trap, waiting for someone to step into the danger zone.

Spoiler: Orcish
    Show
    "Attention, wielder. I spy two shapes hidden beneath draped cloth. They sit each beside that pile of ill omened stones."

Dawnbringer indicates to Ront, and he notices the faint outlines of stones that seem too soft and lumpy to be stones. They look like gray blankets draped over two somethings, each on one side of the stone pile the others took note of. Each of the two shapes looks longer and bulkier than a humanoid, rather bee-shaped in fact.

There is no easy way around to avoid the trap, except to climb to the edge of the trail and scale the cliff walls instead until they can climb up to the plateau that way. And the fall looks rather higher from up here...

The Ship

"Orcs aren't exactly known for diplomacy, but it's worth a shot," lowering her spyglass, Topsy turns to some of the deckhands currently trying to scrub clean the powder smeared all over the deck. "Go stow the oars. Least we'll look more stranded that way."

In time, the orcish ship draws near. Its design is similar to the one they faced before, a pilfered duergar craft, but sleeker and outfitted with a glowing red crystalline engine that propels it forward with force that ripples the water. Aboard it are six orogs on the main deck, one of them clad in a flowing robe and headgarb. Two thinner, younger orogs are stationed at cannons trained on the Black Manta, and Sarith can make out the shape of a heavy crossbow lurking in the gunnery bunker at the ship's bow. Another pair of orog, one of them robed, stand atop the poop deck, one with a hand upon the wheel.

"Hail," Topsy waves at them, putting on her best fake-friendly face. Before she can begin to say more, they cut her off.

"Where the gnome with weird eyes?" the robed one on the main deck demands.

17. - Top - End - #1457

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Pre-Climb
    Making the wish, ALADIN is mildly put out by the abrupt appearance of the white powder, not recognizing it initially, before Derendil tried poking it with one of the discarded pieces of the bees. At the fizzling that resulted, ALADIN realized what this was. "This is a counter-agent for acid, and may be useful in reducing the effects of the acid by a small amount. I will collect it, as it could be quite useful."

That done, he promptly puts actions behind his words, and collects the powder, managing to use his anytool as a brush to collect the vast majority of the substance, filter it to prevent contamination, and create three flasks of it for later use.

The Climb
    ALADIN gives the signal to pause, having noted the potential danger ahead as he seeks to assess potential solutions.

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    The Climb
    Hearing the voice of the sword speak a proper language for once, Ront almost smiles. Of course, it was a complaint, but a happy sword was a good sword, after all. "I think the glow is bad for magic. For everyone magic. But it is probably only uncomfortable."

As Dawnbringer points out the trap, Ront translates for his allies. "Sword say bee guys there" And points out the two hidden bees.
    Show

Last edited by Archmage1; 2023-10-13 at 07:20 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

If only Sarith were here, he could begin the fight. Alas, they had left him on the ship, and they were stuck facing down a distant foe. "May as well shoot them first, get the drop on them."

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

"Went into the hive." Sarith calls back, gesturing towards the ground level, far away from where their group had climbed. He tries to keep his tone measured and god natured. "Took the talking sword and the rest of our treasures with them. Heard some fighting but they've not come out yet." Mixing truths with falsehoods was the best way to spin a yarn that you needed someone else to follow. Hopefully, they bought it.

Show

Deception roll: (1d20+5)[13]

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara
    Elara tries to tell if the corruption of the Weave extends into this area or if it was just around the dire moles. She slides over to the side, keeping away from the hidden bees.

"I agree, Faedryl. Let's kill them before they attack."

Show

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 33/33 +0 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12

When Ront tells us that the sword detects bees under the sheets, Turvy readies himself to unleash some magic upon them.

"I am ready."

Show

20. - Top - End - #1460

GreenSorcererElf

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Sensing unity, ALADIN nods, and thumbs his all purpose tool, activating it's ranged attack mode, carefully aiming it at one of the revealed bees, and launching a pair of purplish pulses at the bee.

Show

Using his All Purpose tool to learn a cantrip(Eldritch Blast), before blasting eldritchly at the closest bee.

(1d20+9)[17] Attack 1
    (1d10)[8] Damage 1

(1d20+9)[22] Attack 2
    (1d10)[4] Damage 2

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #1461

BlueKnightGuy

The Climb

Taking advantage of the bees' exposed position, ALADIN takes aim and fires a pair of eldritch energy bolts that sear through one of the blankets and cause the bee underneath to spasm and take off into the air, throwing aside its camouflage. The other follows suit, but they do not go without tugging free a set of stops holding the boulders in place - and the avalanche of stone pours down the wall of the mountain, into the riverbed, rolling towards the party who stand lower down. But they have much more time to respond than they would have if they were caught directly beneath the rubble.

There is time to pick off or wound the bees, if the party is swift and lethal with spell and arrow. But every moment staying still is a moment they could be climbing to safety.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    ALADIN trips the bees with 12 damage to one of them.

The following characters beat the bees in Initiative and can take a shot at them before they fly away, if they have suitable ranged options. They may take a second shot at the cost of Disadvantage on their save vs rocks fall. Alternatively, they can take no shot and automatically receive an 18 on the save.
    One bee is about 80 feet away and damaged, the other is about 120 feet away and not yet damaged.
    -Borthan
    -Aladin
    -Faedryl
    -Turvy
    -Nilvae

The following characters can also take a shot (or pop Twi Sanc to cushion blows), but only at the cost of Disadvantage on their save vs rocks fall.
    -Derendil
    -Ront
    -Elara
    -Galdar and Charlotte
    -Spide

Then, the party must make a DC 13 Dex save vs Rocks Fall.
    On a failure, they take (8d6)[23] bludgeoning damage.
    On a success, the damage is halved.
    On a success +5 (DC 18) they escape unscathed and take no damage.

The Ship

"Hrn," the orogs' apparent leader grunts and rubs his chin. "Good to know. Git off boat. Is our boat now. Otherways," he slides a finger across his throat and motions to the cannoneers, who take aim. "We splat you and splat boat."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2023-10-14 at 02:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae and Mr Spide
    AC: 13 HP: 17/32 MP: 40/45 | AC: 14 HP: 37/37 MP: 34/34
    Conditions: Exhaustion [1]
    Concentration:

Nilvae climbs and fails a lot of times, once only managing to not fall to her untimely doom due to the divine (?) intervention of Mr Spide. She plants her face hard on a bunch of rocks, getting dust and dirt into her eyes and hair. As the rough climb concludes, the duergar just shrugs. He should have given his steeder to her, it was the sensible choice but now it was too late. Oh cute, dire mole rats! she whispers barely concealing a delighted squeal. They do love their matriarch too! May even be friendly.

She pauses then looks at the others. Don't cast any magic unless pressed to. Wild magic abound.

Spoiler
    Show
    A bunch of notable OOC stuff: First of, 8 tHP to the whole group for listening to Nilvae's strangely ensuring prattling (Inspiring Leader Lv 5 plus Cha +3), Soothsayer is a help action that is a prayer for an individual giving them a help action that can be saved for later. (or for the climb). Notably Nilvae cannot give her self the help action and thus needs the aid from her familiar. Donk will remain on guard duty. If there is enough time, I can even ritual summon a phantom steed. to aid someone else.

Athletics 10 resulting in 1 exhaustion and 7 damage.
    Casting Lesser Restoration to remedy the exhaustion
    Nature 10 for Mole Rats
    Nature 11 for Caves
    Arcana 22 for Faerzess
    Con save 12 (passed)
    San save 10 (failed) resulting in 10 Psychic Damage
    Healing self with Healing Hex for 9
    Dex save 6 taking 23 damage

Galdar Bloodskull
    Duergar 'Psion'
    Conditions: Telepathic Bond (Nilvae), Soothsayer (helped), Inspired Leader [8/8 tHP]

Ah great, a wild magic zone. Gladly I have a blade. We could sell the coordinates as a silver mine!

Spoiler
    Show

Nature 19 for Mole Rats
    Nature 17 for Caves
    Arcana 14 for Faerzess
    Con save 12 (passed)
    San save 10 (failed) resulting in 10 Psychic Damage
    Healing self with Healing Hex for 9
    Dex save of 18 for no damage
    Last edited by Spore; 2023-10-14 at 12:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Elara
    AC: 20 HP: 41/41 +8 THP PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Elara looks to Turvy, who has become her best friend in the group. Probably just because he read her mind and stood up for her out of selfish motives, but that's enough for her.

"How should we attack them?"

But before Turvy has a chance to reply, all hell breaks loose. Aladin shoots clear beams at the bees, and they spring into action, flying away and unleashing the whole side of the mountain on us.

Elara lets the bees escape, instead focusing on dodging the falling rocks.

Show
    Takes the 18 on the save

Turvy sheet
    Deep Gnome Wizard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 33/33 +8 THP PP: 12 PIv: 16 PIs: 12

Turvy is paying attention to Elara when Aladin attacks and can't act until the bees have escaped. He watches in horror as the mountain starts to come down upon us.

"Rocks!"

He also focuses on avoiding the avalanche.

Show
    Also taking 18 on save

24. - Top - End - #1464

GreenSorcererElf

RONT
    Orc Brute Fighter
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Seeing the deluge of rocks coming towards him, Ront tries to dive out of the way, bringing his tower shield to bear to deflect some of the rocks.

Show

(1d20+4)[10] Dex save(17 with Nilvae's blessing)

ALADIN
    Autognome Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 51/43
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Showing no signs of concern about the rocky death headed his way, ALADIN ignores the rocks as he continues to fire upon the bees, vanishing just as the first of the rocks would reach him to appear on the far side instead.

Show

(1d20+9)[19] Attack 1
    (1d10)[4] Damage 1

(1d20+9)[18] Attack 2
    (1d10)[5] Damage 2

(1d20+9)[24] Attack 3
    (1d10)[3] Damage 3

(1d20+9)[23] Attack 4
    (1d10)[10] Damage 4

Using Misty Step to teleport past the rocks

Last edited by Archmage1; 2023-10-14 at 01:39 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Faedryl slips into shadow just as the rocks reach her, vanishing as an ephemeral shade and appearing closer to the bees. She follows ALADIN's example, unleash a trio of magic bolts and a tolling sound imbued with necrotic energy against the weakest foe. Even if one survived mostly unscathed, removing a single foe for now would be worth it.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Misty Step to avoid save.
    'Attack' 1: Magic Missile 6 (from discord) Force Damage on the most damaged one after Aladin's turn.
    'Attack' 2(?): Toll the Dead on the most damaged one. (1d20)[10]+Mod DC16 Wissave or (2d12)[12] Necrotic.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:

"You could do that, if you want to wreck the boat."" Sarith replies, raising one hand to put his bow into sight. "But I have another suggestion." He was flying high and far on this one, and truly expected it to come to blows. "We're bound to protect the ship, so if you try to take it we have to fight you for it, and then you lose a ship, and no one wins. But...if you found proof that our leaders were dead, we'd be freed and wouldn't have to fight anymore. You get the ship undamaged, all our treasures, and some capable hands to help carry all the loot you claimed. You look tougher than the female I was forced to follow, you could find them pretty quick, I bet. Easy riches, minimal effort." He adds a wicked smirk to the end, one that to onlookers may look like he's reveling in the idea of the others being dead, but in truth is just the desire to cause chaos.

Show

Deception roll: (1d20+5)[17]
    GO AWAY ORCS! GO AWAY ORCS! GO AWAY!

Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-10-14 at 09:47 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 17 HP:44/45
    22/29 MP
    0 Temp HP
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    4 of 5 d10 HD.

"Rocks fall! Nobody die!" Borthan flattened himself against some cover, ready to move and dash should any stones take a bad bounce.

Show
    Taking an 18.

Prince Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 39/39
    34/34 MP
    10 Temp HP
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10 Sanity 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (0hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:
    HD:1/1 D12, 3/3 D6
    Spell Slots- 3/3 1st, 3/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd

Derendil knows he can't evade the coming rocks with speed, so like Borthan he finds what cover he can and hopes to use his shield to keep the stones away from his body. When he finds he can't keep up with the deluge of rolling stone, like Aladin he simply disappears in a cloud of silvery mist and appears on the other side of the avalanche.

Show
    Taking an 18. If Derendil can't take an 18, he will rage and roll (1d20+0)[14] Also going to misty step around the boulders.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-10-14 at 02:03 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #1467

BlueKnightGuy

New Thread begins now.