New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Out of the Abyss IC

As the motley crew of former prisoners splits up into their ambush positions, Nilvae and Borthan march across the bridges in their disguises. At the other side, they re-enter the tunnels built into the wall of the cavern and pass by two quaggoth guards standing on either side. Up ahead is the ornate wooden gate into the shrine of Lolth, likewise guarded by another quaggoth, an arch of wooden supports above and along the wall. None of the creatures give them a second look.

Up a head, beyond the shrine, is the commons area that Borthan recognizes from his work with the buckets. All too familiar and well-traversed.

Meanwhile, Duskryn sits in the cell, not even bothering to look up and address Faedryl. Or perhaps just his conditioning making him know better than to look a drow woman in the eye. "There's no point. What is there left except spite?" he holds up his sword arm, looking at the hand, scarred and withered from acid burns, the tendons and muscles needed to wield a weapon properly beyond any healing he could afford, or anything his priestess would deem worth the expense. Then the drow drops the hand back down his his side and leans back against the wall, closing his eyes to await what may come.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dworic Urgrimson
    Dwarf Barbarian
    AC: 15 HP: 27/35
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)
    Concentrating: --

Eight Day - Escape

The dwarf watches with grim satisfaction as the spider sails through the air before being pin-cushioned by spells and bolts. He relaxes his stance momentarily and stakes stock of his surroundings. He accepts the praise from the transformed drow with a grunted "Thank you."

As the group decides on an ambush-based plan, Dworic takes position east of the armory and flattens himself against the nearby wall, reducing his profile.

Eldeth Feldrun
    Dwarf Fighter
    AC: 15 HP: 25/25
    PP: 13 PIv: 12 PIs: 11

Eight Day - Escape

"There's likely enough rope to abseil down the tower if this plan doesn't pan out," Eldeth mentions before taking position near Dworic. She nocks another bolt to her hand crossbow and levels it at the bridge, crouching low and remaining hidden.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 22/22
    PP: 12 PIv: 14 PIs: 12 Sanity: 11
    Conditions: --

Eighth Day, Escape

"You and Sarith really are two of a kind." They had time to chat while the bait was being set, and perhaps her speaking would keep the nerves calm. She puts on a theatrical voice, mocking, extravagant. "Oh, woe is me! I'm scarred, and my lover rejected me! Oh, woe is me! I committed a crime and lost my position!" Her eyerolling is near audible. It's hard for her to feel any real sympathy considering her own situation - far worse, in her mind, than theirs. They didn't suffer any torture, they weren't forced to watch. They'd not fallen from so great a height, nor fallen on such jagged rocks. Figuratively speaking. "What is left?' The rest of your life. Maybe that'll last ten minutes. Maybe it'll last ten years. Maybe it'll last ten hundred years. If you want to live for spite then start there. Survive. Let Ilvara rot knowing you lived past her if that's what keeps you going." It was a familiar thought, except between her and her mother. Faedryl had far more to live for yet though, it wasn't just spite or hatred keeping her going. Grander plans existed yet.

She pauses, before finding a mite of humour in the thought that springs to mind. "Besides, I hear some women find facial scars attractive. Mind you most of those women are orcs."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 13/23
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12 San: 7 (-1)
    Conditions: Mask of Many Faces (Kronryn, 1h), Beast Speech (1h)
    Concentration: -

Where do we go now? Nilvae whispers to her cohort while checking the area for the drow acolyte.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 24/29
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

Borthan simply grunts and points at the common area where the other drow would be. He took a moment to adjust his armor to display his wounds more openly. Whispering, he said Stir up the water to attract cave fish. They're blind, so you gotta make a lot of racket. That's your job.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock

ATTENTION LOWLIVES! Nilvae shouts in undercommon. The outpost was attacked by demons, who freed our prisoners. We need to act swiftly to get this under control, else the high priestess will have your heads.

Nilvae commands the quaggoths to line up as he rushes into the common area, where she slows her pace according to not disturb the high priestess. Kronryn-Nilvae bows in front of the dignitaries, avoiding direct eye contact. Milady, I have been informed chasme attacked the outpost. We have a grasp on the situation but seeing as we are fighting demonic hordes, I would beg your grace to lend me aid in form of your apprentice here. I would not want to loose more fodder than necessary. This operation after all is meant to strengthen your house.

She kind of elbows guard-Borthan to add something to the story. Our scout here knows more about the situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    22 on Persuasion.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

Bort grunted just a bit when Nilvae threw her elbow. Keeping his eyes down and his voice hushed, her responded We're showing them the wrath of Llolth in there, but we need support. People keep getting knocked out by the sound coming off the big demon's wings! He uses undercommon, but silently chastises Nilvae for not picking elvish.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using the help action to provide advantage.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #218

BlueKnightGuy

The Cells

"You chose this."

Sitting with his arms draped across his knees, staring into the ground, Duskryn's voice is nearly a whisper. But Faedryl can clearly hear something in it has changed. There is a harshness, guttural, cracked, something in the man has snapped as he pushes on his knees and forces himself to his feet. Without looking up, he reaches an arm through the bars of the cell door's window and silently locks the cage from the outside. Then he tosses the key deeper into the cell, and then, only then, does he look up. Those two eyes, an orange like amber, glare out at her with constricted pupils filled with a fury born of despair, pushed beyond the brink.

"I did my duty. I fought and I won and this is my reward. You... someone like you... you chose this," his words drip with venom, and his voice cracks again. It's like a dam has broken, with hate, and sadness and fear, all pouring out of him like the tears welling up in his eyes, running down the twisted contours of his disfigured face. "You choose to crawl in the muck, give up everything others claw for, and- and you have the AUDACITY to come here and look down on ME!" All of the broken quiet and surrender in his voice is gone now, as he grabs at the sword in his scabbard, hands and arms twitching with wild, uncontrolled rage. At this point, all language breaks down save for a scream like the shrieks of the damned as he charges forward. The blade of his weapon clips Faedryl in the side, smashing through some of her chain armor to bloody her.

Hearing the shouting, Jimjar is on his way - perhaps even a moment sooner, when he saw the drow's arm lock the door. He slides to a stop in front of the cell and starts trying to pick the lock. But without his tools he's left fiddling with it using a bit of bone from the quaggoth den, which snaps off and has to be dug out of the lock as he frowns. He steps back to dig out something else to use.

"We should have never left our back to him," Topsy hisses, gripping her dagger but unable to do much.

Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    Duskryn loses his **** and locks the door, then attacks Faedryl for 9 damage.

Jimjar attempts to pick the lock, but is unable without tools.
    Eldeth and Dworic are up.

Those in the armory are Surprised, and cannot act on the first round.

Attacking through the cell window will have 3/4 cover.

Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

The Infiltration

As they rush out into the commons, the quaggoth behind them line up and await orders. Nilvae finds the high priestess not present out in the common area, however, instead spotting Mr. Spide. The bulky black arachnid rolling an unconscious dog wrapped up in webs back and forth with its fangs, yet not digging into the beast as the drow watching it most likely expect. The two quaggoth supposed to guard the lift are unconsciously slumped against the wall, more victims of the demon-buzz.

They find them already mid-discussion about the very same issue of the demons. "-towards Gracklstugh," one of the guards is reporting to another pair, with a second, lolth-touched giant spider nearby eyeing the dog-meal her blackshelled cousin is toying with jealously. The appearance of Kronryn causes them to pause in the discussion and turn to salute. His use of undercommon isn't met with much note, though they respond in drow-elvish. "Sir! The demons were moving in the direction of the Gracklstugh tunnels."

"Then let's get the prisoners back in line," the second guard agrees, drawing his shortsword.

From one of the smaller stalactites, another drow officer emerges in his plainclothes, albeit with blade in hand and a quaggoth at his heel. "Kronryn. I heard the alarms." After hearing the report he nods and motions to the other drow to fall in line. "Come on. Let's put out one fire while the other has been kind enough to leave on its own."

Show
    This group is not in initiative yet, though they likely will be as they move back towards the cells.

I'm assuming that Nilvae's words were adjusted a bit upon not seeing either priestess in the commons, with her 22.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock

Not noticing the Lolth devouts, Nilvae alters her spech a bit, switching to drow-elvish. Warriors. We can only now put this rebellion down. I am sure the demons return, and we would need our prisoners as fodder to slow them down. They are of little use injured, but if they die to save our lives, to win this fight today, so be it. Then she adresses the quaggoths in undercommon.

You long for a fight, you itch to murder. Today you will have this opportunity. Fight or die! We form a spear-head, with you in it. The drow flank us, with my sergeant commanding the slave-warriors. Retake the armory, then to drive the rabble back into their cages.

Nilvae seems to enjoy roleplaying as the drow prince a bit too much, and you cannot tell where her lies end and her true pleasure begins. As she sees Mr Spide and Muttley, she starts to sweat profusely. Ultimatively she decides to yell down there in beast-speech.

Spoiler: Spider/Donkey
    Show
    If you decide to eat Muttley, you are in SUCH trouble, young mister! Pick him up and follow us, in about 10 minutes.

As quickly as she fell into the singsang of harmonic melodies, basically singing to the beasts, she is back to her drow self. I will explain later. Now crush these vermin!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eldeth Feldrun
    Dwarf Fighter
    AC: 15 HP: 25/25
    PP: 13 PIv: 12 PIs: 11

Eight Day - Escape

Eldeth clenches her jaw in frustration and considers just letting the horrible drow kill each other. The noise, however, she couldn't tolerate. She takes aim through the small window and fires a bolt at the crazed dark elf while muttering to herself.
    Spoiler: Dwarven
    Show
    "Moradin preserve me and curse this ebon skin filth."

Show
    • Action: Hand Xbow vs More annoying drow
    - Attack: (1d20+5)[23] (no Disadvantage within 5', ignore 1/2 and 3/4 cover)
    - Damage: (1d6+2)[4]

Dworic Urgrimson
    Dwarf Barbarian
    AC: 15 HP: 27/35
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Eight Day - Escape

Dworic considers attempting to kick down the door but realizes prisoners have likely attempted that before. He is, however, on the easier to access side of the locked door this time. He takes the hammer and a piton he liberated from the armory and sets to work on the door hinges.

Show
    Dworic is proficient in both Smith and Mason tools. Idea is to use a piton as a prying tool/chisel and get the door off the hinges.

Here's a d20?
    - (1d20)[7]

11. - Top - End - #221

BlueKnightGuy

The Cells

Eldeth's bolt sails through the bars with expert precision, slashing across Duskryn's shoulder. But in this moment, the drow has eyes only for the source of his rage. In the meantime, Dworic steps in past Jimjar and begins hammering the hinges of the door out of their sockets. Working with expert precision and a steady hand, he knocks the upper one out, leaving the door hanging at an angle from the lower hinge.

Show
    Eldeth shoots Duskryn through the door for 4 damage.
    Dworic successfully removes one of the two door hinges. Apart from being halfway there from taking it down the clever way, this also makes it easier to break open.

I also forgot Stool is present near the cells, so Stool's turn is now. Faedryl can also act as part of the initiative block.

Those in the armory are Surprised, and cannot act on the first round.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

The Infiltration

Two of the drow exchange a curious look as Kronryn begins speaking to the spiders. "I was not aware you had this ability, sir," one of them says, sounding more impressed than worried.

"A gift from Lolth?" the other officer near him asks, as the drow begin marching towards the cells, and the fourth quaggoth joins the other three at the vanguard.

The other spider in the commons area seems more upset by this development, chittering at Nilvae and then at Mr. Spide. Mr. Spide responds in short, snippy chirps, rolling the cocooned mutt in close. The Loth-touched spider takes offense and rears up, baring her fangs at the black-shelled one. It seems that squabbles between the giant spiders is nothing new, and the drow pay it little mind as they assemble near the bridge.

Spoiler: Spider Speak
    Show
    "If the foreign male refuses to eat its food, I will gladly partake in his stead..."

"The mutt is mine, goddess-pawn. So you can kindly go catch a fly."

"Insolent mite. You cannot speak to me in that tone. I ought to pluck out six of your eyeballs for a snack, and leave you ogling about like a two-legs!"

"You may try madam, but I assure you I am no stranger to violent problem resolution."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker
    AC: 17 HP: 13/22

Eighth Day, Escape

Pain was no strange to Faedryl, though she does hiss through clenched teeth as the blade cuts her. A child. Through and through. "You chose death then. I'd say it was a pity, but I doubt anyone left on the planet would think so. Not even you." He lacked any real grace with the weapons right now, and perhaps the taunt would throw off his balance further while she focuses on evading the weapons. At least the dwarves were pulling their weight. Drow superiority as an abstract concept was really taking a hit in this situation. Unwilling to put distance between her and her escape, and unable to muster a proper magical defence she does what she can - aiming to force him back with the Grimoire's powers.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Wasn't 100% clear if the door swings in or out of the prison, my assumption would be out, so the hinges aren't prisoner-accessible. It probably won't matter at all aside from flavour.

Move: Shifting round Duskryn
    Action: Dodge. She got no spells yo :(
    Bonus Action: Telekinetic shove. If the door opens out of the prison, she's shoving him into the door. If it opens into the prison, she shoves him at the wall. Don't want to risk him getting in the way of getting the door open. Must make a (1d20)[19]+modifier strength save vs. DC14. (1d4)[4] damage if he goes into a wall.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on: Hunter's Mark

Borthan, doing his best to play up the bruises on his body and the blood spilled on his clothes that he hadn't modified with the illusion, began making his way towards the rear of the party of drow and quaggoths. He again had to resist throwing something at Nilvae when she started talking to the damn spiders. A small hiss of annoyance was all that escaped his lips, which could have been interpreted as a pained sound. Beware of the male dwarf. He's brute strong and bloodthirsty as well. Keeps shouting oaths and curses in his native language. Borthan had been speaking in elvish, but he changed to dwarvish for the finish. Spider-kissers! Blood and fire! Prey! Behind the glamour of his illusion, Bort's pupils fully dilated and his heart rate picked up as the single word of the spell heralded doom for the rearmost assault member, with Bort's enhanced vision floating between their vital spots. He could almost hear the blood pumping and breath quickening of his target. Outwardly, his illusory features remained unchanged. Hands on the hilts of his shortswords, Borthan waited for the opportune moment to strike.

Show
    Falling back to the rear of the column of Drow and Quaggoths, pretending to be injured. Casting Hunter's Mark on the last person in line for the invasion attempt. Readying a strike, but more likely going to march out onto the bridge first to form a pincer on the guards and slaves.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Stool
    Myconid Druid
    AC: 13 (bucket armor) HP: 28/28
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 13 San: 12
    Conditions: -

Stool once again glows with an eerie green light, this time throwing a good chunk of his spores at the assailing drow in hopes to blind him. The small particles are aimed at his face, there eating away at his eye balls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Con save vs. DC 13 or be blinded (1d20)[20]
    Repeat save at the end of every turn.

15. - Top - End - #225

BlueKnightGuy

The Cells

"And I'll be taking you with me," Duskryn howls like a beast, shoving through the telekinetic force pushing back on his advance. Spores swirl in from the other side of the door, and Duskryn closes his eyes, grabbing a dagger and swinging wildly with both weapons at Faedryl. The mad swings clatter against the wall.

Ront steps forward through the crowd waiting in ambush, trying to take aim with his hand crossbow. But there are too many people in the way and he pulls the weapon back with a scowl. Turvy stands next to his sister, helplessly looking on with a blue swirling mist gatherer around his hands. Sliding to the fore, Shuushar lays a supportive hand upon Dworic's back, and the dwarf feels a bit of extra strength welling up for what must be done.

Coming up alongside him, Jimjar squats low to stay out of the way of any bolts flying and helps Dworic keep the hinge steady while he hammers away. Topsy flips her dagger around, holding it by the blade between two fingers, and strafes around to take aim in preparation for the door to go down. "He's moving erratically, but he leans left when he raises the shortsword," the gnome advises Eldeth.

Meanwhile, those perched in the armory can hear the furious howling. Buppido clicks his tongue in disappointment and whispers, "But it will make the jailors hasty, reckless when they come through. We should remain here... ready to strike what the bait snares."

Show
    Stool uses Blindness on Duskryn, but he resists the spell.
    Faedryl Dodges and uses a Telekinetic Shove, but Duskryn resists.
    Shuushar casts Guidance on Dworic.

Duskryn misses his shortsword and dagger.

Jimjar Helps Dworic with breaking off the last hinge. (We forgot Exhaustion Disadvantage on the last roll, not gonna retcon anything. But Jimbo will help negate it this time.)
    Topsy readies an action for a dagger throw when the door is removed. She uses her bonus action to Help Eldeth, giving Advantage on her next attack.

Derendil, Sarith, Stool, Dworic, Eldeth, and Faedryl are up in the next block.

The drow reinforcements and infiltrators will enter initiative next round.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

The Infiltration

While Nilvae listens to the spiders bicker and threaten one another, Borthan moves back the way they came at the rear of the column. The first of the quaggoth are beginning to lead the way alone across the bridge, the drow following behind in formation. "Come now. There is no need to pollute your tongue echoing their filthy language," the quarry just ahead of him quips, but any poking fun at the dwarves is cut off when a howl of rage is heard from inside. The Duskryn elf's voice. It spurs the marked drow officer to urge the others ahead, onto the bridge behind the quaggoth.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-03-23 at 08:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Stool
    Myconid Druid

Stool mixes another greyscale of spores into his mixtures. It squeaks like a particularly eager yet adorable piglet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Con save vs. DC 13 or be blinded (1d20)[11]
    con save DC 11 or be stunned (1d20)[18]
    Repeat save at the end of every turn.

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock

There is a chance they understand me, and if we don't crush this rebellion, the head prieste... Kronryn-Nilvae stops as she hears fighting. Go, NOW! she commands, letting the brutes charge ahead.
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-03-23 at 04:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Eighth Day, Escape

"Ah, maybe." Faedryl replies, focusing once again on avoiding his attacks and forcing him back with her mental abilities. "If or when I die it won't be for throwing a temper tantrum." Keep goading. Keep waiting. They almost had the door down, and she almost had an escape from being locked in a cell with this dreg. It didn't feel right to call him drow at this point.

Show

Move: None
    Action: Dodging again. Safer than a feeble dagger attack.
    Bonus Action: Telekinetic shove. Must make a (1d20)[9]+modifier strength save vs. DC14. (1d4)[2] damage if he goes into a wall.

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8

Eighth Day, Escape

Sarith nods at the derro. "Wait until it sounds like some of them have passed, then open the hatch and we can take them from behind, overwhelm them on the bridge, maybe even throw them off." He loads a bolt - just a normal one - into his crossbow.

Show

Move: If he can get to the left of the hatch he'll do so, not clear from the map if that's a 'movable space'. Maybe swap with Derendil? Not a lot of sight range from the current position, but oh well. If not, no biggy.
    Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Hide. (1d20+6)[18] Disadvantage due to exhaustion: (1d20+6)[19]
    Action: Ready Action Attack. Trigger: Either Buppido or Derendil opens the hatch, and if an enemy is in sight. (1d20+8)[26]. Advantage if hiding successful: (1d20+8)[10] (1d6+4)[10]
    Possible sneak attack if advantage (1d6)[3]

If the hatch doesn't get opened he can't do much anyway, so no big loss if they spend their turn on other stuff :P

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-03-23 at 04:27 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Derendil
    Quaggoth Barbarian/Abjurer
    AC: 17 HP: 13/26
    PP: 10 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8 hrs), Arcane Ward (8hp/8hp)
    Concentrating on:

Derendil holds a finger up to Bupido and Sarith in the armory. In his pitiful undercommon, Derendil points down. If we wait too long, they may come up. Hard to jump down onto a ready weapon. We have reinforcements in both directions. We split the enemy. Make them fight on all fronts. He prepares to do just that, but whether Bupido and the dark elf take his advice or not Derendil intended to follow the gruesome dwarf into battle, not the other way around. If someone were to fall on the first spear, why not the raving psycopath?

Show
    Holding action to drop down after Bupido and make a claw attack. 10 to hit, (15 if it is with advantage to hit) and 6 damage (rolls in Discord). If an attack would hit Derendil, he will use his reaction to cast Shield and raise his AC by 5 for the round.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-26 at 08:36 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #229

BlueKnightGuy

The Cells

More spores sputter out and float around Duskryn's head, but the elf is determined and vicious, shutting his eyes and pushing through to reach Faedryl again. A second bolt flies through the window and grazes him, moments before the resounding metal clang of the door falling off of its hinges, opening the way in and out of the accursed cell and stepping back.

Before Duskryn can raise his weapon, Ront steps in and grabs him from behind, punching Duskryn square in the back. While the elf is still reeling, Ront grabs him in a lock with his arm and pulls him back, tusks bared. "Get off of me! This is between me and her, you stupid beast!" Duskryn shouts in impotent fury. Faedryl shoves Duskryn with a thought, slamming his head into the wall next to the doorway as he struggles against Ront's grip.

Spinning his weapons around into reverse grip, Duskryn tries to stab Ront behind him. The orc's bared teeth twitch wider in a wince as part of Duskryn's clumsy blade makes contact.

"I hear them coming," Turvy mutters, sliding past the others to gather a bolt of frost in his hands, preparing to meet the incoming drow forces. And he's right, the calls of the drow and their quaggoth are drawing near, clamoring onto the other bridge. He launches a bolt of cold at the lead quaggoth in an attempt to create a blockade and slow them down.

"I suppose it matters little when we strike. They will die all the same, so come what fate may..." Buppido hums softly to himself under his breath, a soft smile beneath his mustache as he waits for someone to open the hatch and spring him forth.

"Hit me with that protective magic. I will take the front while they're busy with the whinging elf," Topsy instructs Shuushar, holding out an arm for his webbed hand to clasp. After receiving his blessing, she steps protectively in front of her brother and holds her dagger ready to throw.

"Move! Push forward!" the drow officer next to Borthan calls out to the procession upon the bridge in front of him, unaware of Borthan's mark upon him. Towards the back of their group, near the turn into the common area, Nilvae stands in disguise. She can see Mr. Spide baring his fangs as the other giant spider eyes the mutt greedily.

Show
    Stool casts Blindness again, but Duskryn just manages to resist. He is unable to use Pacifying spores since casting was his action, and Duskryn was out of range anyways.
    Sarith hides and readies an attack.
    Derendil holds action.
    Eldeth shoots Duskryn for 4 damage.
    Dworic finishes removing the door.
    Ront punches Duskryn from the flank for 8 damage, and uses a bonus action to Grapple him.
    Turvy casts Ray of Frost on Quaggoth, dealing 4 damage and slowing it by 10 feet for 1 round.
    Faedryl shoves Duskryn for 2 damage.
    Shuushar casts Virtue, giving Topsy 4 temporary hitpoints.

Duskryn attacks Ront, hitting with his shortsword for 5 damage, but missing with his dagger.

Buppido holds action, waiting to jump down.
    Topsy readies an attack for when an enemy enters proper range.
    Mr. Spide readies an attack if the giant spider approaches.

It is Borthan's turn.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

Borthan waits for the last drow underling to get on the bridge, taking his time and letting them move to underneath the trap door and his reinforcements. Then he turns to the drow officer, smiles, and attempts to ram both his shortswords up underneath the dark elf's armor. Whether his attack succeeds or fails, he will then move to block the bridge. Alright, fellow convicts. Time to get the party started.

Show
    Hold action until the last of the drow peons moves forward towards the trap door. Then attack the drow officer with both shortswords. (1d20+5)[25] to hit on the first attack, (1d20+5)[22] if I have advantage. Same thing for the second shortsword attack- (1d20+5)[17] and (1d20+5)[11] to hit. First attack- (1d6+5)[10] plus (1d6)[3] for hunter's mark. Second attack- (1d6+5)[9] and (1d6)[2] for hunter's mark. Then move to block the bridge (without provoking an AOO from the officer if he still lives). If the drow officer dies I move my hunter's mark to the rearmost drow on the bridge and move to block him in.

EDIT- Rolled crit damage for the first attack in the discord. Shortsword + hunter's mark crit for 9 additional damage.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-04-01 at 08:20 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #231

BlueKnightGuy

The quaggoth, at the command of their master, charge across the bridge and into the guard post. One of them charges straight up to Topsy, throwing off her aim as she tries to throw a dagger at the first to enter her line of sight.

Show
    Borthan holds action.

Quaggoth triggers Topsy's readied attack, but she misses.

Nilvae, Derendil, Sarith, and Stool now act.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Stool
    Myconid Druid

Stool squeals and erupts in a final magical scream, this time hyphae shoot from his "arms" into the ground.Nothing happens yet, but Stool is ready to lock the enemy down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delay to cast entangle.

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock

Follow me. You may bring your price with you. Nilvae commands her donkey-spider. She then follows Bort to the drow. What are you doing here? They got the shock troops now. Go, now!

Spoiler
    Show
    Delaying Faerie Fire until they are with the others.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Sarith Kzerkarit
    Drow Fighter/Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 19/23
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 10 Sanity: 8

Eighth Day, Escape

"The fight has started, lets begin." Sarith whispers, kicking open the armoury hatch. He swings forward, finding a spot to loose a bolt at the closest quaggoth from their position on high, before swerving back round to take 'cover' behind Derendil and Buppido. Let them take the hits, they certainly seemed more eager to bloody themselves than he was.

Show

Move: Open the hatch, fire down at the nearest quaggoth, then retreat.
    Action: Attack. (1d20+8)[20]. Advantage from hiding: (1d20+8)[24] Damage: (1d6+4)[7]+(1d6)[3] sneak attack

Bonus Action: Cunning Action: Hide. (1d20+6)[22] Disadvantage due to exhaustion: (1d20+6)[21]

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-04-03 at 04:28 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #234

BlueKnightGuy

The trapdoor into the armory springs open, a bolt loosed from above into one of the quaggoth. It graces the creature's tough hide and leaves a long, red streak spilling blood down its fur and onto the stone ground. Broad grin forming upon his face, Buppido jumps down He swings his way onto the break room table next to the startled quaggoth, immediately jabbing his gemstone shiv into its chest. Derendil is right behind him, dropping to the bottom of the ladder. His claw swipes out and raking across his contemptible kin.

Seeing their enemy reveal themselves, the drow warriors run out onto the bridge to take up firing positions, drawing their hand crossbows. One fires past the quaggoth in the 'doorway' of the guard post, the poison-tipped bolt striking the stone wall behind him with a crack. Two more bolts are launched across the web-netted chasm below, likewise sailing past their targets. The drow scowl and begin reloading their weapons.

The officer behind them looks on with disappointment and reaches for his own crossbow, only for Borthan to draw both swords and strike from behind. The drow senses the movement at the last second, twisting away and preventing one of the attacks from hitting anything important, but the other leaves a wide, bloody gash in his side. "What is this?!" the drow exclaims in surprise, Borthan swiftly circling him with his footwork to cut him off from aid.

The door near Nilvae opens and the face of a drow woman peeks out, long white hair dangling around a soft and youthful face. Unlikely the head priestess of the outpost. "Kronryn. What is happening?" the priestess asks, mistaking Nilvae for her disguise.

Show
    Nilvae delays turn.
    Stool delays turn.
    Sarith shoots Quaggoth for 7 damage, then Hides.
    Buppido's readied action triggers, and he jumps down from hiding. He stabs the same Quaggoth for a 24 damage critical sneak attack.
    Derendil's readied action triggers and he jumps down after Buppido. He slashes the wounded Quaggoth for 6 damage.

Drow Warriors advance across the bridge. They fire at Derendil, Topsy and Turvy, all missing.

Borthan's readied action triggers and he stabs the Drow Elite twice, for a 22 damage crit and an 11 damage hit.

Eldeth and Dworic are up. Nilvae and Stool may take their delayed turns if they wish.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-04-06 at 12:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Stool
    Myconid Druid

Hyphae shoot up after they have enveloped the draw bridge and the stone column that held the armory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Entangle. Saves (6d20)[12][18][18][5][11][4](68)

Nilvae
    Half-Elf Warlock

Oh my dear priestess, all will be well. Kronryn-Nilvae enters the room with the acolyte and closes the door behind him. The demons have won. They killed us, and now they will take you. *Nilvae's visage melts to a yochlol, one of Lolth's most deformed servant demons. Under the cleric's feet the ground crumbles revealing a giant spider net. The acolyte sees herself in a web, approached by spiders from all sides, and by hostile driders. We take our revenge now. The closest spider impales the cleric, filling her with poison.

*all part of a Phantasmal Force spell

Spoiler
    Show
    Int save to disbelieve (1d20)[15] or take (1d6)[2] psychic damage.

26. - Top - End - #236

BlueKnightGuy

The Guard Post

From the stonework and between cracks in the wood, grey hyphae reach up and grab onto the assembled forces of the outpost. The quaggoth with their strength and clawed feet tear away the fungal growths before they can take hold, but the drow are not so lucky. It crawls up, grabbing onto their arms and interfering with not only their movement, but their aim.

Dworic grunts that he's got this, and Eldeth turns to join in the fight at the choke point. Leaning past the wall to aim over the gnomes, she clacks off a shot with her crossbow, but the bolt goes wide and strikes the wall.

"Laven Byon Seek!" the gnome wizard chants, three glowing spheres of magical force arcing around his sister with unerring accuracy and slamming into the quaggoth looming over her.

The Cell

Dworic enters the cell and swings his chair at Duskryn. The drow kicks his feet up, using the orc grappling him from behind as a backboard to catch the chair with his feet and kick off of it, sending it careening away from its intended target.

Striding past the struggle, Shuushar narrowly avoids a shortsword to the eye as he walks calmly past Duskryn, held by Ront. The fishman reaches out and lays a webbed hand upon Faedryl, covering her in a thin, misty barrier.

The Shrine

Nilvae steps inside, pushing past the priestess. Her face contorts in indignation at being forced back by a lowly male. Then her eyes light up with realization. "Kronryn would never be so presumptuous," she hisses, reaching for a mace with a round metal head at her belt. Illusions slither into her mind, but her wary intellect dispels them, and Nilvae can feel her spell crumble. "Sylvia, to me!" she calls, and a large spider emerges from beneath a pile of pillows to hiss and charge at Nilvae.

Spoiler: Spider
    Show
    "Stink of white meat you do, fakedrow! We will bite you and chew you and eat you we will, fakedrow!"

Being able to understand words in the quiet hissing she hears alerts Nilvae, and she sidesteps in time to avoid a pair of fangs sinking into her leg.

Through the trapdoor at the back of the shrine, Nilvae can hear muffled voices.

The Commons

As soon as the lolth-touched spider is out of 'Kronryn's' supervision, it rushes at Mr. Spide. But the black shelled spider is ready and meets her charge with a bite of his own, coming out on top in the exchange of hissing, bubbling venom, and tangled legs. The wee mutt lay beneath the battling arachnids, unable to help decide its fate.

Show
    Stool casts Entangle, ensnaring the Drow but failing to capture the quaggoth.
    Nilvae casts Phantasmal Force, failing to ensorcell the priestess.
    Eldeth shoots at Quaggoth, but misses.
    Dworic attacks Duskryn, but misses despite Adv.

Giant Spider bites at Nilvae for a miss.
    Giant Spider approaches Mr. Spide, provoking his readied attack and taking 5 damage and 12 poison damage.
    Giant Spider bites Mr. Spide, dealing 9 damage, and 3 poison damage after a successful save.

Turvy casts Magic Missile, dealing 12 damage to the bridge Quaggoth.
    Shuushar moves past Duskryn, provoking an attack. Duskryn whiffs a crit due to Disadvantage.
    Shuushar casts Virtue on Faedryl, granting her 6 temp hp.

It is Faedryl's turn!

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-04-11 at 10:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Faedryl Melad
    Drow Hexblade/Evoker

Eighth Day, Escape

With the door open and a gap available, Faedryl does the only sensible thing she can and immediately leaves the magic-blocking cell, darting past Duskryn with a sly smile. The feeling of her weave connection returning is immediate and warm. Evidently while locked in with Duskryn the bait had been successful, to a certain extent, as she notes the quaggoths approaching from the armoury tower. With a half-thought she lashes out at the quaggoth on the bridge, aiming to give the deep gnomes some extra space, even as she turns back to her would-be assassin. Her fingers trace sigils in the air, practiced, precise, as the magic circles form before her. Three beads of gleaming silver-white magic slowly grow as she utters the final word of her incantation. They stream forward, striking Duskryn and detonating with pure magical energy, hopefully to put him down for good.

Show

Move: Out of the cell. No OA because Duskryn already used his attack
    Action: Her first real spell - Magic Missile! On Duskryn, specifically. (1d4+1)[5] per dart. 3 darts=15 damage total
    Bonus Action: Telekinetic shove on the quaggoth Must make a (1d20)[14]+modifier strength save vs. DC14.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-04-12 at 04:27 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #238

BlueKnightGuy

The Guard Post

Buppido swings his shiv in an arc, bringing it down against the quaggoth's face, standing on the table before it. He misses its eye by a small margin, but reaches up with his free hand, uncaring of its sharp teeth, to grab onto the wound inflicted on its cheek and wrench it open with his fingers.

On the bridge, Topsy draws a second dagger and delivers a pair of small cuts to the quaggoth in front of her, not nearly enough to bring down a monster of its size.

Cells

Slipping out of the cell and leaving Duskryn behind, Faedryl sends a wave of energy bolts back at him, which curve around Ront to slam into the drow's chest. In spite of the continued punishment, the crippled warrior refuses to expire, struggling against Ront's grip, to no avail.

Sidling up to see past Ront, Jimjar loads his hand crossbow with a poisoned bolt and tries to take Duskryn out of the fight and free them to join the others. "Sorry, guy. Need you to take a time out." But his one-liner is wasted as Duskryn leans back against Ront, the bolt whistling past into the wall. "Whoops. Hey, how muchya wanna bet I can make the next one?" he asks, elbowing Faedryl as he reloads.

The Shrine

Outside of the shrine, the draw draws a dagger and squares off against Borthan, his graceful elven stance contrasted against Borthan's powerful dwarven style. The difference is not lost on the drow either, as he lunges forward, exchanging glancing blows with Borthan in both directions. "You're not really a drow. That style, duergar, isn't it? As you some dwarven assassin?" he spits the words as his blade finds purchase, puncturing Borthan's stolen armor.

The Commons

Between fending off the other spider and keeping it from getting a hold of his bundled canine 'friend', Mr. Spide fails to land a bite on his foe.

Show
    Faedryl casts Magic Missile on Duskryn for 15 damage.

Duskryn attempts to break the grapple, but fails.

Buppido sneak attacks Quaggoth for 16 damage, then uses an offhand unarmed strike for 1 damage.

Drow Elite strikes Borthan twice for 5 and 4 damage.

Jimjar attempts to shoot Duskryn with a drow poisoned bolt, but misses.
    Topsy slashes Quaggoth twice for 6 and 2 damage.
    Mr. Spide bites at Giant Spider, but misses.

Borthan is up!

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11
    Derendil - 11
    Sarith - 10
    Stool - 10

Drow Warriors - 10
    Asha - 10

Eldeth - 8
    Dworic - 8

Ilvara - 8
    Shoor - 8

Ront - 7

Giant Spiders - 6

Turvy - 4
    Faedryl - 3
    Shuushar - 2
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-04-12 at 06:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Borthan Zuek
    Half-Drow Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 15/29
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:

Borthan grimaced as both the drow officer's blows strike home, but he focuses his mind and manages to maintain his Mark on the man. Not like this, Zuek. NOT LIKE THIS! Damn, this guy was fast. Faster than Borthan, that was for sure. But he couldn't keep up with the half-drow's strength and mass. You're close. I was trained by duergar. Trained to kill people like you. But I'm something MUCH more dangerous. All that training, and no longer a slave. You will be killed by a free man this day, Captain Asshat. I'd call you dark elf scum, but that'd be a pot-kettle-black situation, now wouldn't it? He attempted a straight jab with one shortsword, aiming for the officer's thigh. It was a move that Vrek had drilled into him a thousand painful times in the training yard. "You tall folk leave yourselves open with those gangly, silly long legs, Zuek!" But the follow-up was a move of his own creation- a rising stab at the opposite armpit. Both strikes carried all of Strong Shadow's strength, trying to muscle past any parries or deflections.

Show
    Action- attack with the left hand. (1d20+5)[17] to hit, (1d6+5)[10] damage from the blade and (1d6)[4] from Hunter's Mark. Bonus action- attack with the right hand. (1d20+5)[23] to hit, (1d6+5)[10] damage from the blade and (1d6)[1] from Hunter's Mark. And just in case I crit, two more d6 damage- (2d6)[3]
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-04-12 at 07:31 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #240

BlueKnightGuy

The Guard Post

Spraying bloody spit out of its mouth and across Buppido's face, the quaggoth shoves him away and makes two lunging swipes with its claws, but the unarmored dwarf swivels between them with a steady, unfazed smile on his face, as if it were a foregone conclusion. A third quaggoth marches through the fungal growths covering the floor to join the wall of monsters closing Derendil and Borthan in, its swipes failing to meet either of them as Derendil deflects a deadly strike with his shield. The last of the three tries to rush in and Derendil in close quarters, but a clawed foot set against its chest shoves it back out of reach.

On the bridge, Topsy ducks around one swing, and a sharp clawed kick comes up unexpectedly from below. It drives straight into her chest and she stumbles back, Turvy catching and steadying her. "Sis!"

"I'm fine. Didn't puncture the armor," she responds, catching her breath and standing on her own again as the quaggoth regains its balance from the kick.

Cells

The Shrine

Borthan's two-pronged attack strikes home - the thrust at the drow's leg nearly misses, but without a shield he is left exposed on the side, even with his quick footwork. Borthan's blade punctures flesh, and blood spills out onto the stone, painting it red. The opening his enough for his second blade to swing up and catch the drow along the shoulder as he tries and fails to parry. Not the crippling blow Borthan had hoped for, but another in a war of a thousand cuts. Bleeding for many small cuts and nicks garnered from their duel, the drow sags and his energy flags.

"You fight well, dwarf-trained assassin," the drow officer pays him rare compliment, between labored breaths as he pants. Blood running down his arms slickens the handles of his two blades, but his grip remains firm and his eyes steel. "Come then, free man. I will pay you the courtesy of dying on your feet, stead of on your knees!" The melee is joined again as the two of them continue to exchange flashing blades.

The Commons

Show
    Borthan strikes the Drow Elite twice for 14 and 11 damage.

Quaggoth misses Buppido twice.
    Quaggoth misses Buppido and Derendil each.
    Quaggoth misses Derendil twice.
    Quaggoth misses Topsy twice.
    Always a good series of combat logs for the players to see.

Nilvae, Derendil, Stool and Sarith are up.

Show
    Brutus - 21
    Duskryn - 21
    Buppido - 20

Drow Elites - 20

Jimjar - 19
    Borthan - 18
    Topsy - 15
    Mr. Spide - 15

Quaggoth - 12

Nilvae - 11