Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 160
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I thought about this for a different conversation; the change of a human from a child to a woman, in the eyes of an elf, is no more than the length of a ballplayer rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.

    I don't know if this was covered in the books, but the elf knows he will bury his lover, and all their children, and probably their grandchildren as well. There lies a decent tragic plot line.

    Plus you can have all the racism you want as long as the moral at the end is "Racism is bad".
    Spoiler: Here there be spellplague!
    Show
    Not only was it covered, it actually happened. Drizzt has had to bury all of his friends save Wulfgar, and that one only because he went back north before he died of old age. Catti-bre and Regis were killed in the Spellplague, Bruenor was killed in battle against a Pit Fiend in ye olde Dwarf Homeland. They reincarnated because Forgotten Realms, but he did have to watch them all die. His lesson there was "its one thing to know its going to happen and be at peace with that, another thing to live through it."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler: Here there be spellplague!
    Show
    Not only was it covered, it actually happened. Drizzt has had to bury all of his friends save Wulfgar, and that one only because he went back north before he died of old age. Catti-bre and Regis were killed in the Spellplague, Bruenor was killed in battle against a Pit Fiend in ye olde Dwarf Homeland. They reincarnated because Forgotten Realms, but he did have to watch them all die. His lesson there was "its one thing to know its going to happen and be at peace with that, another thing to live through it."
    In addition to that, basically half of The Lone Drow was Drizzt interacting with an elf whose primary narrative purpose was to exposit on how elves interact with the shorter-lived races, because he believed all his companions had died. The jist of it was, "live in the moment and make sure to forget after a while."

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Honestly, if they did make a Drizzt movie, whether it's super violent and gory or not is probably the last thing I'd be concerned about. I'd be far more worried about whether they would intend to keep the extremely clumsy racism metaphors, and the rather squicky relationship with Catti-brie (she was 8 when they first met; he basically helped raise her).
    I'm with you on that one. There's plenty of compelling material to work with there, but quite frankly the Drizzt books I read were embarrassingly clunky, with emphasis on the "embarrassing" part. I've been caught by co-workers playing boffer larps and I wasn't half as embarrassed as I was after reading some of R.A. Salvatore's prose to myself in the privacy of my own home.

    I feel sorry for anyone rooting for a truly faithful adaptation, but any actual Drizzt stories from the books are going to need a lot of polishing before they're ready for general audiences.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    dehro's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Coming in late in this debate..
    I have the feeling that the only way they can possibly do a "good" D&D story is by crafting a good original story set in Faerun, where the main characters encounter the various factions and maybe a few interesting cameos by named heroes of Faerun...
    lots of fanservice, but served on a bed of quality storytelling, decently acted and with some good CGI.
    anything else has a high risk of starting mediocre and devolving in terrible..
    they could insert the players/DM in the plot and pull a jumanji..but it's been done, and everybody is going to start nitpicking the choices of those who would necessarily be self aware characters.. and anything other than that would just be a generic fantasy or fantastic comedy...both of which, no thank you.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

    the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz


  5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    They've done an animated Dragonlance movie which had problems, the Scourge of Worlds was set in Greyhawk and the animation was so so but still better than the Dragonlance movie.

    The first d&d movie was apparently rushed to prevent the Fellowship of the Ring beating it, which it did anyway.

    The Wrath of the Dragon God was better, though still not as good as the Lord of the Rings obviously.

    The Book of Vile Darkness well like the Jeremy Irons one ignored clerics other than Tom Baker, this one stuck to one god who turned away from the world despite there being a freaking pantheon!

    The second at least had a decent cleric despite what happened.

    I hope they don't go Faerun for this as there are far too many ways to go wrong, I'd rather they'd go with something similar to Dorkness Rising but only time will tell.

    There are hints it might go Jack Black in tone (without him), but here's hoping its actually good.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    They've done an animated Dragonlance movie which had problems,
    I enjoyed that film, but it really needed to be two movies. And either do everything in 2D animation or everything in 3D.

    Also, didn't the first D&D movie end up having to use an earlier script instead of a later one which fixed some of the issues?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  7. - Top - End - #127

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    I think they shot part on one script, stopped for a heavy rewrite, then shot the rest of the movie without reshoots on any of the stuff already done.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    dehro's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    They've done an animated Dragonlance movie which had problems, the Scourge of Worlds was set in Greyhawk and the animation was so so but still better than the Dragonlance movie.

    The first d&d movie was apparently rushed to prevent the Fellowship of the Ring beating it, which it did anyway.

    The Wrath of the Dragon God was better, though still not as good as the Lord of the Rings obviously.

    The Book of Vile Darkness well like the Jeremy Irons one ignored clerics other than Tom Baker, this one stuck to one god who turned away from the world despite there being a freaking pantheon!

    The second at least had a decent cleric despite what happened.

    I hope they don't go Faerun for this as there are far too many ways to go wrong, I'd rather they'd go with something similar to Dorkness Rising but only time will tell.

    There are hints it might go Jack Black in tone (without him), but here's hoping its actually good.
    you missed the part where I said a "Good" story, lol..

    If they are going the "Dorkness rising" route, then I'd rather they didn't.
    Dorkness rising works so well because it's a low budget amateurish tribute to something everybody involved loves.
    scale that up to Hollywood standards and you end up with, at best, another knights of Badassdom, which was fun, but really barely memorable and a far cry from what the existing DnD movies could have been if they'd been given proper love, funding and care.


    Whether it be Faerun or an entirely new setting (that would/could concurrently become a new setting to play in with a book published alongside the distribution of the movie), DnD as a concept and as a "world" offers the potential to create an entire movie universe in the style of the MCU..
    Think of it as of a generic, high quality fantasy story with an original plot, that rests on a backdrop of a known and shared universe, much like your Harry Potter movies are set in a world that responds to the logics and dynamics of the real world as we experience it, plus an extra scoop of magic.

    Not that I think it will ever come to that, unless the initial movie really knocks it out of the park, but a guy can dream.
    the point really is that the experience of playing DnD is just not replicable on screen in any other format than watching a bunch of people play.. (and maybe visualize the scenes of what they're doing?).. and doing so exposes whoever writes the script to the hordes of "well.. actually, that rule doesn't work that way/the logical action of that player should have been/he's metagaming"...

    so.. I'd rather have a straight up fantasy movie, where the connection with DnD is in the setting, the occasional cameo, the generic "roles" of the characters and so on.. than some attempt at recreating a gaming experience, which is most likely doomed to fail.
    does that still make it a D&D movie? I won't know until I see it.

    If d&d inspires a few Hollywood people to make a good new fantasy themed franchise, I'll be happy enough as it is.
    Last edited by dehro; 2021-01-15 at 09:16 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

    the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz


  9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post

    so.. I'd rather have a straight up fantasy movie, where the connection with DnD is in the setting, the occasional cameo, the generic "roles" of the characters and so on.. than some attempt at recreating a gaming experience, which is most likely doomed to fail.
    does that still make it a D&D movie? I won't know until I see it.

    If d&d inspires a few Hollywood people to make a good new fantasy themed franchise, I'll be happy enough as it is.
    I definitely agree with this take.

    I mean, it's not like WotC is starved for bite-sized adventure concepts. Even just an adaptation of a low-level mystery adventure like Jerimond's Orb or a short dungeon crawl like Tomb of the Overseers would have enough content to fill 75-90 minutes of runtime, would be unquestionably Dungeons and Dragons, but would require almost no explanation of setting to casual viewers. Jerimond's Orb is a fairly self-contained story about travelers coming upon an isolated village and dealing with the curse within while surviving attacks by strange nocturnal beasts. Tomb of the Overseers is a fairly easily-understandable "King in the Mountain" plot where the PCs are hired to find and awaken a Hero of Old in order to deal with <Magic Bad Guy #3>.

    You have to play the genre straight a bit before you start taking the mickey at it's eccentricities. Otherwise it's just mean-spirited.
    Last edited by Dargaron; 2021-01-15 at 03:37 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #130

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    You say mean-spirited, I say incoherent. If you don't know what someone is riffing on, they're just speaking gibberish.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2021

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    With Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez, the d&d movie will definitely be Forgotten Realms...it has pretty much become the default campaign setting at this point. Critical Role Tal Dorei is of course very popular too but doubt that for the first movie, they will do anything else besides FR.

  12. - Top - End - #132

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Why would anyone expect otherwise, when Hasbro has locked away every other setting and publicly declared repeatedly that only the Realms is worthy of their time and their dime?

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Why would anyone expect otherwise, when Hasbro has locked away every other setting and publicly declared repeatedly that only the Realms is worthy of their time and their dime?
    I'm still shocked that a decent setting got a book, but Rising from the Last War was the first nonPhB book I bought for 5e. I plan to not see the film and thus suggest that maybe they should invested in settings that aren't the PreciselyDocumented Realms.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    On what I would like to see: An Aboleth movie would be fun. The God in the Lake adventure as a horror movie where a group of established but low level adventurers go to a town run by an Aboleth and eventually fight it would be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  15. - Top - End - #135

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Truly I want them to create something new. Not just to avoid the feeling of reheating last year's leftovers while fighting off waves of whining fanbois and/or fangrrls, but because I am frankly bored to tears with most of their settings. And let's face it, anybody who would be drawn in by %%% Setting in the promo material would already be showing up because of the D&D Movie subtitle===and the total of such people isn't even a rounding error in the box office.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    What setting or set up for this movie would you hope for?

    1) A take on the Sinbad series where it deals with a trade ship that either goes off course or ends up on a quest following arriving at a location and discovering something terrible has happened and they need to get the warning out?

    2) A regular meet up at a tavern and end up on a treasure hunt to a ruin that's home to a lot more than a long forgotten treasure?

    3) A dragon attack causes massive havoc and a group of survivors end up teaming up to survive the trek to the nearest point of safety eventually forming the bonds that lead to them becoming adventurers'?

    Care to add your own option?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-02-12 at 10:00 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #137

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    No Save-The-World plots. I am so ****ing tired of Save The World.

    You want this to be a D&D movie, you pretty much need to set it up so the monster to fight is WOTC IP. That's not a deep bench. Beholders, Illithids and Aboleth are the strongest candidates.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    No chosen one tropes too I assume?

    I'd like a regular adventure where we initially think the humans are the main cast then discover some of the cast aren't who we thought they were.

    For example a small group of adventurer's composed of locals from a village meeting and they're accompanied by a grizzled veteran former soldier and a local herbalist.

    The four are still finding their feet as they encounter threats such as a group of goblins, a skeleton uprising and that sort where they initially don't listen to the veteran forcing the herbalist to intervene until they finally get a clue.

    Its only after they find themselves the future they want joining other adventuring groups that they upon looking back as they attend the veteran's funeral and notice their cleric's behaving strangely in the presence of the herbalist who doesn't appear to have aged at all.

    Then in the closing scenes we learn she's almost 250 years old and a legendary hero who knew the veteran back from the war he fought in as a child and she only came along as she knew this would be his last adventure and wanted to be there at the end.

    Just because we know what elves look like that doesn't mean we can't be surprised to learn nobody is what they appear after all!

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Rege-Jean Page, star of the alternate history English period drama Bridgerton has been cast in the D&D movie.

    http:///www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...gons-exclusive

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    Rege-Jean Page, star of the alternate history English period drama Bridgerton has been cast in the D&D movie.

    http:///www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...gons-exclusive
    Well, at least he has experience with fantasy settings that casually do burnouts over reality...

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mordar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Newly announced...Hugh Grant will be phoning in a performance as a "villain" in the film.

    Anyone think that a good choice? Unless it is a clever rom-com triangle storyline, I'm not thrilled. His more serious turns have been okay, but somewhat limited.

    - M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

    Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

  22. - Top - End - #142

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    As if I wasn't already in the 'wait until I can see it for free on SyFy' camp...

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Newly announced...Hugh Grant will be phoning in a performance as a "villain" in the film.

    Anyone think that a good choice? Unless it is a clever rom-com triangle storyline, I'm not thrilled. His more serious turns have been okay, but somewhat limited.

    - M
    I kind of liked him as the cannibal in Cloud Atlas.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Having seen Paddington 2. Grant gets a free ride from me from now on.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Having seen Paddington 2. Grant gets a free ride from me from now on.
    I kind of felt the same way about The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, but anyone dissing the Paddington movies gets the hard stare.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    dehro's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    I haven't seen them, and I have a hard time picturing Grant as a serious villain.. this worries me in terms of what they will use him for and what it means for the general tone of the movie.
    it reeks of do-over of that thing with that one Wayans family member in it (can't remember which one of the terrible D&D movies that was).
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

    the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz


  27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scarlet Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Hugh Grant works only if he's the villain in plain sight, who no one suspects because no one respects him. All the while he using that to his advantage & is pulling strings.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-03-04 at 08:36 PM.
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

  28. - Top - End - #148

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I haven't seen them, and I have a hard time picturing Grant as a serious villain.. this worries me in terms of what they will use him for and what it means for the general tone of the movie.
    it reeks of do-over of that thing with that one Wayans family member in it (can't remember which one of the terrible D&D movies that was).
    The first live action one.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The first live action one.
    I remember being vaguely interested when it came out, but ultimately not going to see it. Praise be to lethargy.

    Ah-chachachacha!

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I remember being vaguely interested when it came out, but ultimately not going to see it. Praise be to lethargy.

    Ah-chachachacha!
    The first D&D movie is bad. Like so bad it makes the Dragonlance animated movie look good, and that's so bad that typing the words 'makes the Dragonlance animated movie look good' causes me searing psychic pain. It's quite arguably the worst movie I've ever actually watched all of. Bonus terrible trivia: when I watched it a zillion years ago on DVD it had an alternative ending, which was actually almost sort of OK. I nearly felt an emotion. The actual ending they went with was just plain terrible though.

    That's right, the first D&D movie is literally worse than itself. It's a singularity of badness; a suckularity.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •