New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

My first notice came from here.

Chris Pine...meh.

"...film that will feature an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game..."

Oh good, I was hoping for more movies with a subversive bent. Or maybe that is sarcasm. <sigh>

So, it looks like a plan to overpay a star and then to subvert the subject matter that it is supposed to be portraying/representing.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Dungeons & Dragons movie...?

I mean, most tables I've played at, the players have something of a subversive bent themselves, so that seems pretty accurate to the D&D experience.

Unless they're going to subvert that by playing all the tropes entirely straight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I half wonder if they're going to make it a comedy, where the heroes do a bunch of stupid stuff like PCs normally do. Like, the Rogue tries to steal everything not nailed down, or the Bard tries to seduce everyone they meet, even monsters.

At the end of the film, during the climatic final battle with Evil, it appears hopeless, but then Pine's character says, "Wait, I have an idea! All we need are a few hundred peasants and as many ten foot wooden poles that you can find..."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gamers movies, but can't we have an actual GOOD D&D movie that takes itself reasonably seriously before we start with the "subversive takes"? Please?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Subversive bent"...hoping if it was Slayers Anime-style rather than Game of Thrones-knock offs.
    Or maybe switch between DnD and Fantasy sessions like Princess Bride but in DnD seissions.
    Or they can just adapt Forgotten Realms novels or comics.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Gamers movies, but can't we have an actual GOOD D&D movie that takes itself reasonably seriously before we start with the "subversive takes"? Please?
    You're expecting way too much from the writer/directors hired for this incoming B-movie. Daley and Goldstein were responsible for Horrible Bosses 1 & 2, 2018's forgettable Game Night, and the particularly excremental remake of National Lampoon's Vacation. Having presumably run out of original ideas with Burt Wonderstone, they're now just surviving off the usual Hollywood algae of poorly-budgeted semi-comic remakes, do-overs, and parodies, which is okay provided you've got the talent of the Zucker brothers or the underrated Wayans boys (which these guys don't).

Some directors have certain actors they like to work with a lot. Good directors attract and use good actors. Robert deNiro works with Scorcese, Everett McGill and Kyle McLachlan worked with David Lynch, Michael Biehn and Sigourney Weaver worked a lot with James Cameron.
    These guys use Jason Bateman.

Sure, they were two of the 6 writers on Spider-Man Homecoming, and there too consciously "subverted" the large-stakes Marvel films, but they did have the benefit of having a massively successful franchise on screen that audiences were getting tired of. And there's a big difference between writing and directing, specifically that Homecoming wasn't directed by them and all the other premium mediocre stuff they've given us was.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    You have higher expectations than me. I'm expecting them to use a D&D movie as a springboard to do "subversive takes" on Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings more than actual gamer stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Landing Pine, who has been the linchpin of the Star Trek film series for Paramount, is a strong start for what the studios hope will be a new franchise launch."

Yeah...after Paramount's last bound of successes, I am sure they are looking for an new franchise launch. Also can't say Chris Pine was the right choice for this. But either way it is going to be a cluster.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JoshL
    I agree with this. I’d much rather have a decent fantasy movie that takes itself seriously and stands on its own merits.

I just don’t need “subversive” right now. A little straight-up heroism is fine by me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I agree with this. I’d much rather have a decent fantasy movie that takes itself seriously and stands on its own merits.

I just don’t need “subversive” right now. A little straight-up heroism is fine by me.
    I dunno. Maybe the subversive element is that its actually just a good movie on its own merits? That would certainly subvert my expectations.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Is the same movie that other teen actor or whatever he was called was involved in?

So will Pine be part of the main cast or playing the role of the Prince in distress or pseudo bad guy for the movie?

There's literally doezens of options here, I'm curious to see where they're heading with this!

There was a movie with Natalie Portman a few years ago where the lead "hero" was a wastrel prince and his retainer ended up being chased by a I think was a gay Ogre I think?

Edit: Ah there you go "Your Highness"

Is this likely to follow that kind of movie given some of the responses here?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-12-15 at 11:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Usually you get films playing things straight before the subversive ones. Skipping ahead seldom ends well.

13. - Top - End - #13

I can't think of a D&D media project that did end well.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

For whom?

Jeremy Irons did a fine job as a villain in one of them, Bruce Payne deserved more recognition for his efforts though.

Will they go the Gamers movie route or try a regular fantasy adventure movie?

15. - Top - End - #15

If they're trumpeting their 'subversion', they're going to be trying to impersonate the Gamers movies.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Wtf? We don’t need a subversive version of DnD. We need a faithful, mature, adult adaptation, treating the content seriously and not like it’s a teen CW vehicle. This has a Star Wars/ Marvel level potential with so many potential worlds and characters, it’s truly amazing how Hollywood continues to screw it up.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderswims View Post
    We need a faithful, mature, adult adaptation, treating the content seriously and not like it’s a teen CW vehicle.
    You are playing very different kinds of D&D games than I've ever seen before in my life.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Considering even B Drizzt stories make it on the New York Times sellers list, it is weird they haven't just made live action movies or shows about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Considering even B Drizzt stories make it on the New York Times sellers list, it is weird they haven't just made live action movies or shows about him.
    Fair or not, the only adaption of a D&D novel to date was the 2008 "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" movie (also on the NYT bestseller list), and that probably hammered the nail into the coffin pretty deep.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Fair or not, the only adaption of a D&D novel to date was the 2008 "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" movie (also on the NYT bestseller list), and that probably hammered the nail into the coffin pretty deep.
    Agreed. It's pretty sad though IMO, D&D is hot right now and a lot of those books are now nostalgia pieces. With some actual acting and a decent vision they could make bank.

Heck they could make another Arkham knockoff using Drizzt instead of a Gondorian Ghost or Spiderman and it would make a lot of money. The setup is there, they just need to push forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

It ultimately depends who they go with.

The Gamer movie which requires a back story for the cast members at the table and maybe they're dressed up as their "idealized" selves for whilst in the game?

Or just go with the atypical group of adventurers' using your chosen cast and hope they're up for the task.

Not everyone can make a role from literally nothing, which is why I'm wondering why they haven't gone for a live action Exandria movie?

Get Matt and company involved and it should be incredible!

But this is Disney after all so who knows!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Since my state is having Fun With Covid Lockdowns again, I've been rereading a bunch of the old Drizzt novels, and I suspect they'd be kinda hard to adapt.

For starters they're all action. The Crystal Shard has two entirely separate invasions, and a whole welter of smaller fight scenes. Streams of Silver is basically the traveling monster murder roadshow, and I recall The Halfling's Gem involving a backflip off a galloping camel. All of which would be mega-expensive to film, since there's a ton of stunts and monster effects needed. Plus there's all the effects for the heroes, since only Wulfgar and Cattie-brie are human.

Aside from the expense, this is also really gonna limit the audience. The biggest action movies these days are superhero stuff, which are like 70% melodrama, 20% plot nonsense, and 10% people punching each other. Maybe up to 25% punching for something like Aquaman. Its mostly very clean, fun action stuff where nobody's tongue is torn out of their mouth by a whip.

But the Legend of Drizzt stuff is like 60% hardcore R rated stabbing, 30% travelogue between stabbing locations, and 10% exposition and character development. Most of which is also exposition, instead of dialog - like 80% of the main characters have stoicism as a defining personality trait. It's perfect for adolescent boys (or reading during lockdowns if you're a mid-30s meganerd who remembers being 14), but this is not a setup with large, cross-demographic appeal.

This is without getting into the obvious landmine infested swamp of the main character coming from a race of hyper-evil matriarchal black skinned cave-dwelling BDSM murder-elves. Just wait until Twitter gets ahold of that.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #23

DrowGirl

I think it's a bit soon to be making assumptions, I suppose? I'm not sure how I'd express this, but we know nothing about the movie. The movie being "subversive" doesn't count for anything. Chris Pine doesn't count for anything (zing!)

I really love JadedDM's idea of an adaptation of real D&D, not the D&D official settings or some generic fantasy story with the D&D label on it. You know, the kind of crazy stuff players actually do. Though if that's the case, I'd be interested if it would use an actual D&D game as a framing device (think Darths and Droids/DM of the Rings), or just be a dense and wacky story where the heroes completely ignore the instructions of every authority figure they meet.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

A Darth & Droids treatment or their version of the Lord of the Rings?

Either would be fine, but as its Disney they'd likely play it safe perhaps too safe for it to be a hit given how they handled Star Wars and Captain Marvel for instance.

25. - Top - End - #25

We already know it's going to be set in the Realms so they can flog that horse some more, so set your expectations accordingly. Honestly, if they want me to watch it they'd pretty much have to drive a truck full of money to John Rogers' house and tell him to write a Fell's Five movie, as that is far and away the last D&D story arc I liked.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    But this is Disney after all so who knows!
    It's not Disney. Neither Hasbro or Paramount are Disney. Not yet at any rate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Spiderswims
    We need a faithful, mature, adult adaptation, treating the content seriously and not like it’s a teen CW.
    I second this wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    You are playing very different kinds of D&D games than I've ever seen before in my life.
    I guess I must be playing in those very different games as well.

Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    Neither Hasbro or Paramount are Disney. Not yet at any rate.
    This year isn’t over yet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, and there's the rub in making a movie out of a tabletop RPG. Even people who've played the same edition and the same settings are going to have very different experiences and ideas of what D&D is. This goes for any media adaptation, of course- meaning is generated by the interaction of reader and text- but especially with something fundamentally more interactive like an RPG.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Good point wasn't the first D&D movie basically advertising 3.0?

Is this movie going to advertise D&D 6.0?

If its still dealing with 5.0 it could easily be used to advertise a new setting maybe Mystara as very unlikely as that is or even Eberron.

The problem with Faerun is that so much has been done with that it would be easier and less likely to mess things up if they went with another setting to avoid screwing up continuity.

Is this me worrying too much especially as its still early days for this?!

30. - Top - End - #30

DrowGirl

I mean...probably?

I've played in and ran very few games which could be called serious. One of my characters had an aspect of his backstory called the Cheese Shop Incident. Another was the frontman of a rock band called "We Fling T's," who threw T's (the letters) into the audience at shows. One of the members played the goat synthesizer (ie. a synthesizer that looked like a goat and made goat noises). In one of my current games, one of the players is a Dwarf named Dabbo Mac Lit who has a vendetta against people without beards.

Even more serious games can get off the rails. In one game I ran, the party left a town almost immediately after getting there, and ended up missing several shops and a fairly major sidequest. In another I played in, the party went the wrong direction while trying to rescue a hostage. By the time they returned, she had been rescued without them.

To me, crazy, unpredictable stuff is part of the appeal of D&D, and that you've never played in any games like that...I dunno, I kinda feel like you're missing out. I mean, it probably works for you, but in my experience, the only way to stop hijinks is to step in and forbid it, and that kind of takes the fun out of the game.

[Filibuster over]
    Last edited by GravityEmblem; 2020-12-15 at 04:21 PM.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you