New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Question about Dedication and Hel

I remember reading in a topic about the Gods of OoTS needing three ingredients to sustain themselves, and one of them was Dedication.

It was...rather complex, and very psychological and such so I'm having some trouble understanding what exactly it's supposed to mean.

Is it from an Obscure Lore regarding Cleric's and Intermediate Deities in official 3.5 Edition or is it Homebrew from the Giant?

I would really like some clarification on that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Question about Dedication and Hel

Quote Originally Posted by #1144
    ...we gods need certain things from mortals. Four things to be exact: Belief, Worship, Dedication, and Souls.
    [...]
    Dedication is a big burst that's released when a mortal dies and they're sent off to their god.
    Here is the link.

It seems to be a "homebrew interpretation" on how gods gain energy from their worshippers. Based on the basic facts we find in the PHB and doesn't seem to stray to far from many other interpretations. I am unsure if the giant ever said more on the subject.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2020-12-15 at 03:33 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Just to be a little nitpicky, Thor mentions four things, not three: Belief, Worship, Dedication, and Souls.

(Not sure where fear and surprise fit in. )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-15 at 08:58 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Way back when Hel's goal was revealed a few posters asked how her getting powers from a few millions dwarves was supposed to offset the nourishment thebother gods got from all of the current world's existance to which the Giant replied, in essence, "the precise mechanics of her plan are irrelevant what matters is that the other characters agree it could work, but if it's really important to you, let's just say souls give more power imemdiately upon death and then a smaller steady stream of powers for the rest of their afterlife."

I'm pretty sure this Dedication thing is just a way to settle that in-comic.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

This is his specific comment that kicked things off -- I like to link it because his commentary & response about storytelling has been immensely helpful for my own writing process!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I see. So it's not an Obscure Lore fact about Cleric's in 3.5, and there's actually a total of four. Kinda still confusing for me, but unless The Giant comes down here and personally writes a Philosophical Essay on the nature of Theocratic Theory in his fantasy world, I guess this more or less settles my question.

So it's essentially just a Plot Device to make Hel's End the World Now Plan work then, am I correct?

7. - Top - End - #7

And to explain why she looks like death warmed over, yes. Plus putting some subtle pressures on Thor and Loki with their Seal the Snarl scheme.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragonclawExia View Post
    I see. So it's not an Obscure Lore fact about Cleric's in 3.5, and there's actually a total of four. Kinda still confusing for me, but unless The Giant comes down here and personally writes a Philosophical Essay on the nature of Theocratic Theory in his fantasy world, I guess this more or less settles my question.

So it's essentially just a Plot Device to make Hel's End the World Now Plan work then, am I correct?
    Basically, yes. And he's stated outright that he's not going to offer that kind of theological essay, because it inevitably just gets nitpicked by someone on the forum. I think there's another quote from him saying "the afterlife doesn't matter except for how it makes the living characters feel and behave." He's focused on telling a story about the here and now, essentially.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

From memory, all a God needed to ascend through divine tiers was worship in 3.5. So the four deific nutrients would be Oots homebrew if it was ever to be codified (which it probably won't be)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Just to be a little nitpicky, Thor mentions four things, not three: Belief, Worship, Dedication, and Souls.

(Not sure where fear and surprise fit in. )
    Nor ruthless efficiency and fanatical devotion. Not to mention red uniforms.

(Surprisingly, since that it is probably their most famous sketch, and the amount of times I have seen it, I still get the second two the wrong way round, and completely forget the bit about the uniforms...)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I still get the second two the wrong way round)
    Cardinal Fang: Bring on the Comfy Chair!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society