New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

The Captain doesn't have alcohol on the ship, which is different from what Leonidas was used to as a pirate, where rum rations were used to practically make the crew docile.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas will stand and offer some perfunctory words for Imogen.
    “Imogen was a good shipmate and fighter. Her giant buzzard was handy t’have around. Freakin’ fish man ought not have kilt her.”

3. - Top - End - #543

Does anyone else offer any words?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden pursed her lips. It didn't seem right to let her pass off without any further recognition, particularly given the damage Saiden herself had taken trying to keep her afloat.

"I wish I'd known her longer," Saiden offered her glass up, before taking a sip.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #545
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Ved looks out over the water.

"Imogen was in fact a wonderful distraction, but alas has proven herself unworthy. We are now lighter and faster thanks to her sacrifice."

6. - Top - End - #546

And with that, Imogen's body ... which was wrapped in tarpaulin and sewn shut along with her mouth being sewn shut with a copper coin inside ... is heaved over the side as Captain Odenkirk says a short, perfunctory ceremony.

Later that day, when Kel can get her fellow Nessians together privately as two sailors are out of earshot and convalescing, and the rest are topside working, she says, "We lost Imogen ... and through her, Kyr. But we actually learned a lot, didn't we? The sailors aren't at our level man-to-man, but they aren't pushovers. Two are going to succumb to their wounds from infection .... and we should let them. That will leave six of them. Leonidas, you willing to step forward and offer to fill their positions, after our beleaguered infectees are committed to the deep like Imogen, of course? But we also learned that this captain is no meek smuggler. He might be a smuggler, but he is damnably dangerous."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas thinks for a moment and then smirks his trademark grin. “Aye.”

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Scathe looks to his right. He looks to his left. He laughs a little while rolling his eyes.
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-10-16 at 12:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549

Moving forward......

Two days later, Captain Odenkirk approaches the PCs. “We are a little light on fresh water I think. We are passing Seal Isle and there is a stream that feeds into the bay there. We’ll take on water there. I’ll send a party to the shore. Of course, that means we’ll spend a day in some of the richest fur seal hunting grounds all along this coast. I’m thinking of organizing a hunting expedition. Interested?”
    Show

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bored and needing to stretch his legs, Leonidas agrees to accompany the foraging party.
    “How do ya hunt the seals, Cap’n?”

11. - Top - End - #551

"Take a longboat out into the bay. A good seal pelt usually fetches about 50 gold," answers the captain. "You and yours can take the other longboat while I have a couple of my sailors in the longboat with me. We could even make a small wager for when we deliver the goods to Fire-Axe. I hear the bugbears have a potent spirit. Losers buy the winner a round."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Aye! It’s a wager.” He turns to the others, “Who wants to join me for some fun?”

13. - Top - End - #553

"I'm game," says Kel, "if nothing to act as a safety observer. The water has gotten a lot colder since we've come north. So if I'm not there to pull somebody out right away, you might as well distribute copies of your will now. The cold will sap your strength faster than a Mitran evangelist saps the gold in your pouch."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #554

ElfRogueGirl

"I'm in for a bit of sporting!"

Ved exclaims.

Spoiler: knowledge
    Show
    Not sure how well Ved is versed in hunting aquatic creatures, but will try to recall knowledge to see if there's any useful equipment they should bring along.
    Last edited by H8teradio; 2021-10-20 at 10:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"I didn't get an opportunity to get some swings in with the ol' sword during the attack. I'm game for some hunting, lest I get rusty with the blade."

16. - Top - End - #556

The Captain gets a greedy glint in his eyes at the thought of hunting seals at the aptly named "Seal Isle."

Ved, you don't know anything special about hunting seals.

The captain will show the group some basics on the equipment used for seal hunting and how to go about it.

Any parting comments before the seal hunt begins?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas will bring all his gear and change his appearance to that of a grizzled, one eye warrior.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden wasn't particularly interested in hunting seals...but there wasn't much else to do on this ship, was there?

Offering a shrug, "a wager it is then..." her smooth voice replied, as she moved to accompany her fellows.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

19. - Top - End - #559

The Frostahamar gets to the area of Seal Isle. Unlike what Leonidas had thought, seals are captured by way of lures and fish, and then netted and clubbed (usually just with oars).

It turns out that the only person in the party actually trained in any level of proper hunting and knowledge of the more insightful aspects of natural lore (rather than scholarly), is Ved.

Everyone, roll a Survival check IF you want to aid Ved.
    Spoiler: Caution
    Show
    It is possible that you are clumsy and hinder efforts, so don't help if you don't feel confident you will be helpful. This is an all-day effort, so no short-term boosts of any kind can be used (unless it lasts 8+ hours).

Please don't NOT post if you don't want to help, but post here that you are just going to help with stationkeeping of the longboat. That way, we aren't waiting for a post that won't come.

Ved, roll your Survival check as well...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas will man the oars and do what he can to stay out of the hunter’s way.
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

No aid check. This is actually Leonidas’s first hunting trip other than watching others fishing.

21. - Top - End - #561

ElfRogueGirl

"Alright chaps lets get the expedition underway, this is how it's done."

Spoiler: Hunting time
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+12)[19]

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden will watch with a curious eye. She had hunted game before in the wilderness, but nothing like this. The cool climate drew icy tongues across her face as she peered at Ved's movements to see 'how it was done', so to speak. She was preparing herself, however, to grip and oar and club some seals when the opportunity presented itself.

23. - Top - End - #563

It is a good day of hunting for the Ninth Knot! Together ... well, alone, but with emotional support from his confederates ... Ved has caught two seals.

That joy is diminished, however, when you find out that Captain Odenkirk got himself twice that many.

"We have unseasonably good weather, and we have our fresh water stores," says the captain. "I am one for profit, so let us go out tomorrow for another run! That'll give you a chance to catch up. But my pelts are mine, and yours are your'n', but let's share the meat from all of them with the ship."

Does anyone have an issue with that?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas will confer with his compatriots in such privacy as is available.
    “He seeks t’ delay our mission. We must press on!”

25. - Top - End - #565

ElfRogueGirl

Ved considers Leonidas' statement.

"I think he's just enjoying a bit of hunting for sport and relieving us of our coin Leonidas. However, I do agree we really shouldn't dawdle."

To the captain

"We really should get underway, as joyus as this was my purse cannot stand to take another hit like that."

26. - Top - End - #566

"Bah! Coward!" the captain laughs. "But I'll not give up easy profit. You don't have to wager, then, but I'm going to have me another day of seal hunting!"

Any dissent with that?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #567

ElfRogueGirl

"I'm afraid I must insist we move along. You can have our catch if that sates your need for pelts."

Ved furrows his brow and gets a stern look on his face.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Ved will try to sense the captain's motives and try to see if he really does mean to delay us vs just enjoying the hunting.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cold fury adds steel to Leonidas’s words to the Captain.
    “Enough delay. Y’defy our master’s will at your peril!”
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

use intimidate to add weight to his threat

29. - Top - End - #569

The captain is too greedy to even register Leonidas' attempt at being a tough guy. He looks at Ved. "I get your two pelts as well, huh? Hmm, It was good hunting, and the seals are smart enough to make hunting tougher the second day. I accept."

Ved, you get the sense that Captain Odenkirk is just a greedy man. And he makes sure to have his men collect the pelts immediately.

Leonidas, you get the sense that as much as you might grit and growl, the hyper-muscular captain is not threatened by you. Like ... at all. He doesn't see you as a friend for you to turn that around, just that you are like a small yipping dog that need not be entertained.

And with that, the Frosthamar will leave Seal Isle behind, topped off on fresh water stores.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden watched the event with a passing interest, mostly in how the captain conducted himself. Confident and greedy. Under normal circumstances this could be turned to their advantage, but unfortunately their orders were very clear: he had to go.

Offering no words to the situation, Saiden kept her palm on the pommel of her weapon as she stuck close to her fellows.